Bade Acche Laggte Hai

*~Bade Acche Lagte Hain Articles Archive~* (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 8

Page 1 Page 6
Page   of 8
Page 8 Page 8

-purnima-

IF-Sizzlerz

-purnima-

Posted: 10 September 2011 at 10:57pm | IP Logged
The uneasy romantics on the idiot box
http://www.hindustantimes.com/The-uneasy-romantics-on-the-idiot-box/Article1-743893.aspx

Consider this: Saas-bahu conflict. Scheming vamps. Suffering heroine. That's what we saw on our TV sets for many years, from 2000 onwards. (Does anyone remember Star Plus' Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi or Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki? Or have the serials been forgotten – deservedly – like bad  dreams?) Now consider this: Village settings. 'Burning' social issues such as female foeticide. General gloom and doom. That's what we've been seeing on our TV sets for the past three years, ever since Balika Vadhu (Colors) became a runaway hit.

And finally consider this: Our very short letter to Hindi TV channels. Dear Star Plus, Sony, Colors etc. Can we please see something different? Thank you. Yours sadly, viewers.

To be fair, when it comes to serials and soaps, it isn't as if there's nothing else on TV. There are a few crime shows on Sony which get good ratings. There are a few other serials (such as Saas Bina Sasural – doesn't the name say it all?) which are different and which do decently in terms of popularity. But in the world of Hindi general entertainment channels (GECs), where nothing matters except ratings, to be different is akin to tempting fate. A 'different' serial will usually not hit the really high spots in the ratings chart. Or so many nervous channel executives believe.

Audiences seem fixated on regressive, traditional (as in resistant to change), clichd serials, they claim. Case in point: at the time of going to press, the country's No. 1 show is the singularly depressing Sathiya Saath Nibhana (Star Plus) about a simple bahu having a really hard time in her sasural, which is peopled by at least two very scary women and one very uncaring husband.

But two recent serials which appear to be bucking the trend are Bade Achche Lagte Hain (Sony) and Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon (Star Plus). Of the two, Bade Achche... is the real bona fide hit. Already the No. 1 fiction show on Sony, it's racing up the TRP charts across channels. The success of Iss Pyaar Ko... is more modest though by no means unremarkable; currently it is the fourth most-watched serial on Star Plus.

Both shows are supposed to be primarily love stories with the family as a side show instead of being family sagas with a bit of love on the side. Moreover, the love stories themselves are hat ke. Bade Achche... is a mature romance where a 33-year-old woman falls in love with a 42-year-old man after an arranged marriage. Incidentally, the relationship starts off on the wrong foot: neither can stand the other.

It is difficult to believe that this serial comes from Balaji, whose temperamental boss Ekta Kapoor was the original creator of saas-bahu serials.LOLLOLLOL

"Actually Ekta has always been a trendsetter," points out Bade Achche Lagte… director Ravinder Gautam, "It was her idea to make this serial as real as possible. She wanted the writers to keep situations contemporary and convincing. For example, the character of Sakshi (the heroine) is shown as mature and level-headed. She is in her 30s, single and quite fine with being single. Today, there are many single women in their 30s who identify with Sakshi's character. They are becoming part of the audience for the show. The kind of feedback we are getting is amazing." Gautam adds that he has been working on serials for ten years but for the first time, one of his close friends who is a Navy Commander is actually watching a Hindi serial and liking it!

But even in a modern serial like Bade Achche..., traditional elements are very much there – Sakshi's mother, for instance, is one of those desperate, nagging mothers whose only mission is to see her on-the-shelf daughter get married. LOLLOLLOL

Mature love
What the show is about:

Bade Achche Lagte Hain launched on Sony May-end this year and has become a certified hit. It's the story of a 30-plus middle class working girl called Priya (she takes coaching classes; come on, everyone can't be a rocket scientist, can they?) who falls in love with a 40-plus rich businessman, Ram, after an arranged marriage with him.

What Works:
The fact that the heroine works and wears kurtis and jeans and doesn't look like a walking-talking jewellery-cum-wedding-saree store. That the male lead is fat and everyone (including our heroine) makes fun of his portly frame.  Says Ram Kapoor who plays, well, Ram, "I told the scriptwriters not to be subtle about my weight but to go ahead full steam. That kind of realism is very attractive to male members of the audience." The idea of two relative strangers finding love after an arranged marriage is equally real, he adds. On her part, Sakshi Tanwar, who plays Priya, found the idea of mature love very attractive. The initial clashes between the two also made for lively viewing.

What doesn't
Ram and Priya just got married in a ceremony that seemed to last several centuries.SleepySleepySleepy  So many tears were shed, they could have irrigated an entire farm.LOLLOL  Also, doesn't the mother-in-law look like she's going to turn into a scheming saas?LOLLOL Can the serial's pace quicken a little please? And can the focus stay on the lead pair? EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

From HT Brunch, September 11

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

trieshkalpoepavitra123anu123saisamanviveena23avivakirk

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "*~Bade Acche Lagte Hain Articles Archive~* (Page 7)" in Bade Acche Laggte Hai forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-purnima-

IF-Sizzlerz

-purnima-

Posted: 20 September 2011 at 1:15am | IP Logged

Ram Kapoor,Actor:

TV can be gruelling,especially for a newcomer.You have to battle deadlines and really work against the clock.I remember earlier there were times when I started work on Sundays and didnt come home till Monday.But thats just how it is,you have to find a way out.I guess its only when you establish yourself that the hours get easier.Thankfully,Ive reached a level where they do adjust the schedule,where they can,for me.Also,I feel when youre enjoying the work you do,the tiredness doesnt matter.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

trieshkalpoepavitra123anu123saisamanviveena23

niveditha

IF-Sizzlerz

niveditha

Posted: 20 September 2011 at 3:38am | IP Logged
Seema Jha and Rakesh Maini in Bade Ache Lagte Hain 

The talented singers will grace the evening with their pure voices...

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

trieshkalpoepavitra123anu123saisamanvi

AnnJones

Groupbie

AnnJones

Posted: 04 October 2011 at 11:49pm | IP Logged
gr8! Its true! Balh is actually a trendsetter and I am sure it will top the TRP charts soon! Keep praying and watching!

niveditha

IF-Sizzlerz

niveditha

Posted: 14 October 2011 at 1:03am | IP Logged

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

trieshkalpoepavitra123anu123shamma92saisamanvi

-purnima-

IF-Sizzlerz

-purnima-

Posted: 28 October 2011 at 3:56am | IP Logged

Now Indian Actors to Boost Australia's Tourism Efforts

SYDNEY — Indian TV actors Saakshi Tanwar and Ram Kapoor may not be as well-known as Oprah Winfrey, but the pair are set to follow in the footsteps of the U.S. chat show queen in upping the profile of Australia as a tourist destination.

The stars of 'Bade Acche Lagte Hain,' produced by Balaji Telefilms for Sony TV, will jet to Australia for filming of the latest series of the top-rated drama, which is watched by 42 million viewers on the subcontinent. The plot involves the couple taking their honeymoon in Sydney, a decision that Australian officials hope will trigger a wave of other love-struck Indians travelling Down Under.

"This provides us with an opportunity to showcase the best of Sydney and surrounds as a honeymoon destination," says George Souris, New South Wales state's minister for tourism and major events.

Sydney's attractions include the iconic Harbour Bridge, Opera House, Bondi Beach and nearby wilderness spots like the Blue Mountains National Park.

In the year ending June 30, India ranked as New South Wales's 11th biggest market in  terms of visitor numbers and was worth 826 million Australian dollars ($885 million) in total expenditure to Australia.

But this has the potential to take off rapidly through better marketing, officials say. Tourism Australia estimates that Indian visitors have the potential to spend up to $2.25 billion Australian dollars by 2020.

The state's profile will also rise when the Indian cricket team tours Australia from mid-December to early March, while New South Wales tourist officials have signed an initial agreement with Singapore Airlines to work together on marketing campaigns in the Indian market.

This may also help improve Australia's image in India after a spate of attacks on Indian students in 2009, an incident of "curry bashing" earlier this year in which the Australian authorities charged a 15-year-old boy with murder and the controversy over a swimsuit designed by an Australian designer which featured a Hindu goddess.

Australian tourism officials have been stepping up promotional activities to counter the negative impact of the rapid appreciation of the Australian dollar, which has made the country more expensive for many overseas visitors, including those from the U.S. and U.K.

Earlier this year, Oprah Winfrey hosted a series of Australia-themed shows in the shadow of the Sydney Opera House, and visited tourist hotspots like Hamilton Island in the picturesque Whitsundays region of Queensland state with the backing of Tourism Australia.

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

trieshkalpoepavitra123anu123Saisweetyshamma92saisamanviveena23

Salmanayesha

IF-Sizzlerz

Salmanayesha

Posted: 19 November 2011 at 11:36pm | IP Logged
Ram Kapoor on a New High 

Ram Kapoor

Actor Ram Kapoor, 38 years old, who was last seen on the big screen in Udaan and now plays Ram Kapoor in popular teleseries Bade Acche Lagte Hain is riding a wave of popularity these days. We've also seen him host Rakhi Ka Swayamwar and act in shows like Ghar Ek MandirKyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, etc in the past but this time the actor plays a business tycoon in his late 40s and a husband who gradually falls in love after marriage.  

ShaadiTimes finds out about the 
actor's onscreen characters, future projects and more...

What is the kind of response you've got from people for your show, Bade Acche Lagte Hain, so far?
It's been wonderful and definitely positive. A lot of people have actually liked my character and the idea of Saakshi Tanwar and me coming together onscreen. Moreover, the show has been enjoying a good TRP ever since it went on air. So, yes I'm loving every bit of it. It feels great when people appreciate my work.

How did the show happen for you?
I think I'm a character actor more than the leading hero type. I feel I belong to the league of actors like Boman Irani and Anupam Kher. So, when I was offered the show by TV czarina Ekta Kapoor I absolutely loved the script. Plus, inspite of being overweight I got a chance to play the lead, so I had no reason to say no. And I'm glad I took this up.   

Were you okay with jokes being cracked about you being overweight on the show? 
Actually, Ekta did ask me if it would be all right to talk about my weight issues in funny dialogues. The writers were apprehensive. But I didn't really have an issue with that. I think it's important to poke fun at yourself at times, you can't always be serious. Once in a while, it's great to show your inadequacies too, isn't it? Moreover, it works for me because this is the first time it has happened on TV. I've set a new trend of a fat hero and people are actually relating to it.

What kept you away from the tellyworld for so long?
I did a couple of films like Hazaaron Khwaishein AisiKarthik Calling Karthik,Udaan, etc, but yes I was away from the small screen because I wasn't happy with the kind of roles I was offered. It wasn't something that I've always wanted to do. The reason why I took up Rakhi Ka Swayamvar was because I had a chance to do something different - host a show. So, I didn't mind taking it up.  

How much do you identify with the character you're currently playing in Bade Acche...?
(laughs) Not at all! Neither am I a business man and nor am I unmarried. I'm a happily married man with two kids. In real life, I'm just the opposite of my onscreen character. I'm quite jovial and know how to enjoy life. 

What kind of an equation do you share with lead actress Saakshi Tanwar?
Well, we're both secure actors. She is a great human being and we've known each other for a while now. So, we're comfortable working with each other. It's good fun on the sets.

Are there any Bollywood projects in the pipeline? 
Yes! I've signed up for a couple of interesting projects like Karan Johar's Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu starring Kareena and Imran, where I play a Las Vegas real estate king. There's some good comedy in the film. You'll see me sharing screen space with Boman Irani, Ratna Pathak Shah and Imran Khan. Apart from this, you'll also see me in Agent Vinod, where I play a Russian mob boss. Sriram Raghavan, the director of the film, wanted to experiment with my look and diction. Luckily, I'm pretty good with accents, so I was suitable for the role. I am just hoping for the best for the future.

Edited by Salmanayesha - 19 November 2011 at 11:37pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

trieshkalpoepavitra123anu123Saisweetyshamma92saisamanviveena23nithyamkv

saisamanvi

IF-Dazzler

saisamanvi

Posted: 20 November 2011 at 3:25am | IP Logged
gr8 interview by ram
thanks for sharing

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

trieshkalpoepavitra123anu123Saisweety

Post Reply New Post