#Devil's Den:Raat Akeli Hai Phas gaye MMS mein# - Page 47

Posted: 12 years ago
hey medha! I knw SKS season 1 came on star plus..but  season 2will air on Star one..that's why i asked the question..
@medha

U may be surprised at the attachment many of the viewers may have towards saas bahu serials. They finish all their daily chores including their dinner, by the time the serials air and the whole family watches it in rapt attention.

If they miss it due to some family functions, then they do make it a point to see the repeat telecast.

Now about bold contents, the general audience is more or less embarrassed when such scene comes on. And if the serial is known to show such bold content on regular basis then gayi bhains pani mein. in short no trps.

The social message if woven in the thread of the serial, then it may be appreciated by women folk, take a look at the regional serials many of them do a good job of integrating saas bahu saga with a social message and are still popular. Please note these so called social upliftment serials do have typical Ketyaish twists

Bye devils good night/morning 🤗

See u tomorrow  😊
Originally posted by hegdemedha

@ Sush: What you've mentioned about viewership responses is interesting. 

Well, I've never asked folks I've met, during the course of my work, from rural areas about their television-watching habits.  But, then, that's probably also because most folks I'd meet do not have even have a television at home or do not have electricity in their houses.  And, the load-shedding sometimes continues well into the night too.   A sobering thought that.

I'd guess that folks out there do find a reflection of themselves in those soaps that we would identify as regressive.  Just as we are able to identify ourselves with shows that have progressive content, they are able to identify the realities of their lives in the soaps that we identify as regressive. So, it's easier for them to empathise with the characters on those shows. But, then arises the question of whether these general entertainment channels would care to utilise the hold they have and the reach they have to actually deliver social messages and bring about a societal change. 

I have a different view on this.

Good thoughts have to be imposed, progressive ideas have to be imposed. They might not be liked but they have to be shown as an alternative. 

If it had not been, women's education, abolition of sati, equality would have all been a dream. Nobody loved it when it was imposed but we all enjoy it in our lives don't we.

One of  my maids who works for me come in a bruised state every week saying she fell from the stairs. I told her to tell her husband that i am going to file a police complaint against him and then she said, ti was not her husband but her son who pushed her off the stairs. she looks at me in awe and looking at our lives works even harder to ensure that her grand daughters go to school. It is a different thing that her grandsons quit school earlier than her grand daughters who are slogging it out despite all odds. It is this wish for a better life that they think education can get for them. 

Empathising does not solve the problem as much as threatening does.

I did not see balika vadhu as could not see everybody saying 'how cute' to a child bride.
But I have started seeing it now as they are going towards showing the ill-effects of child marriage, after three years of it being on air. Imagine all the elderly ladies seeing Balika Vadhu saying, isiliye toh kehte the, bachpan mein hi shaadi karani chahiye taaki ladki sasural mein ghul mil jaaye. When you get a readymade maid by marriage who will do as you wish, why will anybody not like it. It was glorifying it to such an extent that people were finding good in it. 

Sasural genda phool is good. But the heroine is fantastic.  I liked the bengali version even more. A good story is good whatever the language. I started seeing Ogo Bodho sundari (the bengali version of sasural genda phool long before they even thought of making it in hindi. i don't know one word of bengali but i was still seeing it religiously in the morning at 9.00. It ahd a certain charm. They did not have the guts to keep the same story of the bengali version in the hindi but it is still okay. Once they started the hindi, i kind of let go of the bengali. But it is still different from normal saas bahu soaps. But they are a rarity.  

Most saas bahu soaps show stuff for people as code of conduct which in real life even the actors would not be following. So if a guy threatens you on the train, are you supposed to report him to the police or get married to him and fall in love with him because finally he is a good guy. How can i see such stuff. 

see you all tomm

It is a great chance for them to go back to Geet's social justice message alongwith the romance aspect and they can shift it to the 11 pm slot and keep everybody happy. if it is a kitchen romance of geet and nandu, i don't think even the people who want it to stay are going to stick around to watch it. Till it is being telecast, the hope of its story returning to what it started out with is still there. And that is the hope with which I would like to save Geet, the hope of getting back my geet and maan in their original avatars. 

I heard somewere that what happened with Geet character of fake marriage for money by NRI will really happens in Punjab more.Edited by bru22 - 12 years ago
In the midst of all confusions,...one good news😆

Rahul Agarwal woh is Geet's director...his status is updated saying "MSK is back"😆

And also few inside info says Geet won't end this year😆

But hving said that even though GHSP is not ending anytime soon but its a request to all to plss don't give up the fight because u cannot trust the channel😡..so keep signing the petition and keep writing on star one ka wall..keep mailing them ..calling them..show the fan power...lets not completely relax with few inside news and all😃
Originally posted by jyoti06

In the midst of all confusions,...one good news😆

Rahul Agarwal woh is Geet's director...his status is updated saying "MSK is back"😆

And also few inside info says Geet won't end this year😆

But hving said that even though GHSP is not ending anytime soon but its a request to all to plss don't give up the fight because u cannot trust the channel😡..so keep signing the petition and keep writing on star one ka wall..keep mailing them ..calling them..show the fan power...lets not completely relax with few inside news and all😃

Lets just hope, he's still a angry young billionaire and not a pauper who loves everything around him and never goes to office.
siggss
Just made one coz I wanted sum sig for my dabba lol

and one from the spoilerss

@Ash- The siggies are gorgeous!
Do you use Photoshop or Gimp?
The end is nigh, I guess we've all been aware of it. It couldn't have gone on for longer. Now even if they drag it on, something's lost forever.

And why has that happened? A number of factors, the economics of the situation being the most important one, undoubtedly. But I can't help but think that an equally powerful one has been the audience response to the show especially on this forum.
I do not mean to to flatter ourselves, but I don't think either the channel or the PH ever imagined the kind of response that this show got. I am not a regular watcher of Indian soaps, so I have practically no knowledge of how the TV world in India works, but given the culture in which such shows exist, I imagine most viewers are happy to lap up doses of colour and noise that are part of the daily drama of family life in India that most soaps dish out day in and day out.
While I have no doubt that other shows have had an equally passionate, committed viewership, but I doubt if they've had such one that has been so articulate and critical in its views. I cannot imagine any other show inspiring so much creativity and insightful analysis. For the channel and the PH, who are probably more used to devotion rather than criticism from their viewers this must seem an intrusion in their way of doing things. I'm not saying that our views have had any influence on either the shape this show has taken nor its ultimate fate, but I feel our voices, our clamour for a logical consistent story has become a bit of a nuisance, an inconvenience. This demands a commitment and vision that neither the PH not the channel want to make, not least because their only motive in making the show was profit.
Given such a motive, is it any surprise that they want to make shows that will appeal to rural audience after all rural India has at last begun to register as a place for profit-making on the radar of the business world.
The larger the viewership, the larger the ad revenue.

How much easier it will be for them to dole out their distorted versions of reality with its superficial concern for social change, populated by caricatures rather than real characters who are connected through familial connections and all they do is participate in a set of disconnected, dipsarate events and incidents. The clothes they wear, the festivals, weddings and family celebrations are what the shows are about.
Who needs a story-all people seem to want is a large wadrobe of colourful, garish  outfits,  and a collection of Hindi film songs to sing and dance to.
Why bring about change in society? Why get people to think about their lives, the society they live in and to question themsleves and their values. Unfortunately that is what we were asking the show to do.

As someone, I think it was Opti, who so rightly said if people hadn't pushed for change we'd still have sati and child marriage. Surely a large profitable channel can afford to not to make enormous profits on one, just one show. Bu then, it is the murdoch enpore we're talking about, so what else can one expect?

Edited by Murlal - 12 years ago