IQ? (Page 4)

-pixie- IF-Rockerz
-pixie-
-pixie-

Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Doe.

Originally posted by -pixie-

As far as I am concerned, you are born with a capability. A mentally retarded child will be less capable of learning something no matter how rich he/she is. Of course, they can be cured. Now that's something money can do.

I think you are missing the point I am trying to make...lets say there are two mentally retarded children- the kind of care, therapy rich parents can afford cannot be replicated by the poor parents. Therefore over a period of time, the richer kid will always respond better to any measurement devices/instruments better than the poor kid- who lets say has not had comparable therapy or training!

No, I get you. Now what I am saying is, let's say there is a child who is mentally retarded, but very rich..& a very intelligent child, who is very poor. Who has more capability? The richer one or the poor one? I mean, who is born with a better capability? 

The case you have stated is more about fate. I mean, one retarded child was blessed to be born in a better house, while the other one was less fortunate.

Are you really comparing apples to apples? I guess I am too used to Ceteris paribus style of proving thingsLOL.

Since I dont hold a fatalistic attitude- so would find it hard to agree with your second argument

Edited by -pixie- - 24 May 2011 at 1:29pm

MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:34pm | IP Logged
In many cases, you don't find all conditions being the same. Smile

As for the 2nd argument, there are few things which cannot be changed. 
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:40pm | IP Logged

Developmental disabilities are not always 'cured' per say. It is rather 'controlled', 'managed' or 'channeled' better. Not all developmentally disabled lack  intellect or cognitive skills. People with certain types autism have exceptionally high IQs. Other developmentally challenged exhibit unusual mathematical or musical gifts. I think we tend to mistake lack of social cognitive or motor cognitive skills as lacking because we perceive them as the norm.

As for money, any sort of intelligence is the function of natural ability and environment. So money and affluent environment may enhance one's ability, but it can never override natural abilities completely. A wealthy autistic child may have life easier due to the resources available to handle their autism, while an autistic child born to a homeless person may grow up to be homeless too. However, the homeless autistic may actually be more naturally astute and genius compared to the wealthy one. Similarly, no matter how wealthy one is, one cannot override ones natural intelligences – no amount of money will take your IQ from 80 to 160 even in ten years, no amount of money can give you perfect pitch, no amount of money can get you social intelligence and charm for peer interaction.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

monar

MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:41pm | IP Logged
Money can buy opportunities, not capabilities. LOL

blue-ice.

MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 24 May 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Developmental disabilities are not always 'cured' per say. It is rather 'controlled', 'managed' or 'channeled' better. Not all developmentally disabled lack  intellect or cognitive skills. People with certain types autism have exceptionally high IQs. Other developmentally challenged exhibit unusual mathematical or musical gifts. I think we tend to mistake lack of social cognitive or motor cognitive skills as lacking because we perceive them as the norm.

There, I was talking about mentally retarded people with an IQ of below 70.

return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 24 May 2011 at 2:03pm | IP Logged

I'm American. We are not allowed to call anyone retarded. Tongue

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Summer3blue-ice.

monar IF-Sizzlerz
monar
monar

Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:19pm | IP Logged
ah! it doesn't make sense to me but never mind.. you can blame that on my IQ Ermm

Edited by monar - 24 May 2011 at 9:19pm

blue-ice.

blue-ice. IF-Addictz
blue-ice.
blue-ice.

Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:20pm | IP Logged

I'm American. We are not allowed to call anyone retarded. Tongue

yes in America...people are challenged...not retardedTongue

monar

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index