Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

IQ? (Page 2)

.FunLuvingGirl. IF-Dazzler
.FunLuvingGirl.
.FunLuvingGirl.

Posted: 21 May 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Doe.

These IQ tests are really dumb. There is more to intelligence than the IQ tests. 
The reason these IQ tests came into existence was to divide children into categories based on their IQ in France...it was a method to make it easy for the teacher to know who was bright & who wasn't. That was started by Alfred Binet. However, it was Sir Francis Galton (a cousin of Darwin I guess), who introduced intelligence to Psychology. He made baseless statements like rich are more intelligent than poor, white are more intelligent than coloured, men are more intelligent than women and blah. Funny how a theory like this led to a vast topic like Intelligence.

As for nature vs nurture, it is a bit of both. We all know that genes play a great part in everything, including intelligence. This can be seen through studies like Twin studies, Pedigree analysis, etc.
As for the theory supporting nurture, I have read that orphans (neglected) who came under the mentally retarded category through IQ tests showed improvement in the intelligence levels when they were adopted by a lady who took good care of them.
So it is a bit of both.

Yeah actually you r rite..different IQ tests are on the basis of different perspective...and only one IQ test cannot tell ur whole intelligence..so it does have some drawbacks..

And what you said about the twins. Yeah, I read it somewhere that if the twins are parted thn their intelligence will have lot of differences and it they are not, thn 95% of the intelligence are same. So environment does effects a lot.

LOLLOL and about the history one, there are lots many ppl who havespend their time a lot making thinking or new concepts which makes no sense..God! Psychology is a vast subject..I never used to like it..LOLLOL

Edited by .FunLuvingGirl. - 21 May 2011 at 6:39am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

MagixX

-Aarya- IF-Dazzler
-Aarya-
-Aarya-

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Kanky-

Originally posted by night13

Originally posted by -Kanky-

I think nature overpowers nurture, I believe so actually. Math questions and tricky IQ tests are not enough to calculate the magnitude of the human mind. Not everybody who fails tests is dumb, or even the dumbest people are not pinheads, like most people like to believe. The brain is complex, can't really reckon anything out of it. 

If you believe nature overpowers nurture then what about the people who came into this world as gifted and talented. Do we not question their ability on these IQ tests?

I do not precisely understand what you mean, fella. But my credibility is not to question anybody's IQ, generally. Generally, people are  high on it. We are all spectators, actually. Testing people's IQ can only fetch us a record we'd like to keep, it'd be hypothetical if we state as something fixed.

The IQ test are commonly used for identifying gifted and talented. If the so called gifted and talented by nature then how does nurture distinct them among the rest?

-Aarya- IF-Dazzler
-Aarya-
-Aarya-

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:59pm | IP Logged
A standard IQ test was developed to answer one question 'What are you trying to predict?', basically how far will you be able to achieve in academic!  Truelove this is start to the controversy because there are so many things which can predict success or failure in human experience that IQ test does not measure - such as kindness, will to succeed and willingness to learn!
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:24pm | IP Logged
An IQ test measures intelligence as in reasoning, problem solving, logic etc. So if you have a high IQ your ability to solve quantitative problems is very high. Low IQ means your reason and logic skills are sub par. IQ is a mix or natural ability and education received.

As we can see IQ is not a predictor of success and even people with lower IQ display some competency. That is why psychologist Howard Gardner developed the Multiple Intelligence Theory that states there are different types of intelligences in humans that serve different purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

Not sure how accurate this is but I'm trying this test now

http://literacyworks.org/mi/assessment/findyourstrengths.html

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

monarblue-ice.

-Aarya- IF-Dazzler
-Aarya-
-Aarya-

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 6:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

An IQ test measures intelligence as in reasoning, problem solving, logic etc. So if you have a high IQ your ability to solve quantitative problems is very high. Low IQ means your reason and logic skills are sub par. IQ is a mix or natural ability and education received.

As we can see IQ is not a predictor of success and even people with lower IQ display some competency. That is why psychologist Howard Gardner developed the Multiple Intelligence Theory that states there are different types of intelligences in humans that serve different purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

Not sure how accurate this is but I'm trying this test now

http://literacyworks.org/mi/assessment/findyourstrengths.html

I took the same test twice by purposely selecting the option 1 ('Statement does not describe you at all
'), option 5 ('Statement describes you exactly') for all the 56 questions and as a results...

Body Self Spatial Nature Social
1/51/51/5 LOL
1/51/5

"Just because these five are not in your top three doesn't mean you're not strong in them. If your average score for any intelligence is above three, you're probably using that intelligence quite often to help you learn. Take a look at the 'Practice' section to see how to engage all your intelligences. " LOL

ps ... the most important things we need to manage can't be measured as life is not a multiple choice test, it's an open-book essay exam! Tongue

Edited by night13 - 23 May 2011 at 6:38am
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .FunLuvingGirl.

And about the nature and nurture, yes both effects a lot.

What we gain from our parents' genes (hereditary) effects our intelligence and that is the main factor about a person having more or less intelligence.
And talking about the environment, it also effects. It checks our adaptability with the
environment.

-Soma.

Affects

zorrro.FunLuvingGirl.

zorrro IF-Dazzler

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:07am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:12am | IP Logged
Cos I don't have time, or rather the free internet kiosk at airport won't give me time (not more than 15 mins). In transit right now. Had been flying for the last 9 hrs. Will still have to fly for another 5 hrs.

zorrro.FunLuvingGirl.

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index