-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
A simple question over intelligence quotient: the so called cognitive ability tests: what do they really measure and what does that mean for individuality?  

The degree to which nature versus nurture influences the development of human intelligence is still questioned?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I think nature overpowers nurture, I believe so actually. Math questions and tricky IQ tests are not enough to calculate the magnitude of the human mind. Not everybody who fails tests is dumb, or even the dumbest people are not pinheads, like most people like to believe. The brain is complex, can't really reckon anything out of it. 
-Aarya- thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Kanky-

I think nature overpowers nurture, I believe so actually. Math questions and tricky IQ tests are not enough to calculate the magnitude of the human mind. Not everybody who fails tests is dumb, or even the dumbest people are not pinheads, like most people like to believe. The brain is complex, can't really reckon anything out of it. 

If you believe nature overpowers nurture then what about the people who came into this world as gifted and talented. Do we not question their ability on these IQ tests?

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: night13

If you believe nature overpowers nurture then what about the people who came into this world as gifted and talented. Do we not question their ability on these IQ tests?

I do not precisely understand what you mean, fella. But my credibility is not to question anybody's IQ, generally. Generally, people are  high on it. We are all spectators, actually. Testing people's IQ can only fetch us a record we'd like to keep, it'd be hypothetical if we state as something fixed.
.FunLuvingGirl. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: night13

A simple question over intelligence quotient: the so called cognitive ability tests: what do they really measure and what does that mean for individuality?  

The degree to which nature versus nurture influences the development of human intelligence is still questioned?

Good topic, buddy ! 👍🏼

According to me, IQ is tested to see how much high is an individual's intelligence ( which includes our knowledge, learning ability, knowing the world, or solving ny problem) among the ppl of his/her age.

Thats why IQ is measured on the terms of mental age and chronological age ( biological age).

And about the nature and nurture, yes both effects a lot.

What we gain from our parents' genes (hereditary) effects our intelligence and that is the main factor about a person having more or less intelligence.
And talking about the environment, it also effects. It checks our adaptability with the
environment.

-Soma.

monar thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I always doubt these IQ's measures, how can you claim Human IQ based on few questionnaire? how will you justify a master in one field and ignorant in all others Vs, Jack of all field? shouldnt that be considered apart from age and chronology. 
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Fact is nobody uses 100 % intelligence, I think real IQ means...preacticaly how you/we behave/act/react/respond/ask/do/taking a decision in mature way!!😊
MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
These IQ tests are really dumb. There is more to intelligence than the IQ tests. 
The reason these IQ tests came into existence was to divide children into categories based on their IQ in France...it was a method to make it easy for the teacher to know who was bright & who wasn't. That was started by Alfred Binet. However, it was Sir Francis Galton (a cousin of Darwin I guess), who introduced intelligence to Psychology. He made baseless statements like rich are more intelligent than poor, white are more intelligent than coloured, men are more intelligent than women and blah. Funny how a theory like this led to a vast topic like Intelligence.

As for nature vs nurture, it is a bit of both. We all know that genes play a great part in everything, including intelligence. This can be seen through studies like Twin studies, Pedigree analysis, etc.
As for the theory supporting nurture, I have read that orphans (neglected) who came under the mentally retarded category through IQ tests showed improvement in the intelligence levels when they were adopted by a lady who took good care of them.
So it is a bit of both.
Edited by .Doe. - 12 years ago
.FunLuvingGirl. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: .Doe.

These IQ tests are really dumb. There is more to intelligence than the IQ tests. 

The reason these IQ tests came into existence was to divide children into categories based on their IQ in France...it was a method to make it easy for the teacher to know who was bright & who wasn't. That was started by Alfred Binet. However, it was Sir Francis Galton (a cousin of Darwin I guess), who introduced intelligence to Psychology. He made baseless statements like rich are more intelligent than poor, white are more intelligent than coloured, men are more intelligent than women and blah. Funny how a theory like this led to a vast topic like Intelligence.

As for nature vs nurture, it is a bit of both. We all know that genes play a great part in everything, including intelligence. This can be seen through studies like Twin studies, Pedigree analysis, etc.
As for the theory supporting nurture, I have read that orphans (neglected) who came under the mentally retarded category through IQ tests showed improvement in the intelligence levels when they were adopted by a lady who took good care of them.
So it is a bit of both.

Yeah actually you r rite..different IQ tests are on the basis of different perspective...and only one IQ test cannot tell ur whole intelligence..so it does have some drawbacks..

And what you said about the twins. Yeah, I read it somewhere that if the twins are parted thn their intelligence will have lot of differences and it they are not, thn 95% of the intelligence are same. So environment does effects a lot.

😆😆 and about the history one, there are lots many ppl who havespend their time a lot making thinking or new concepts which makes no sense..God! Psychology is a vast subject..I never used to like it..😆😆
Edited by .FunLuvingGirl. - 12 years ago
-Aarya- thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Kanky-

I do not precisely understand what you mean, fella. But my credibility is not to question anybody's IQ, generally. Generally, people are  high on it. We are all spectators, actually. Testing people's IQ can only fetch us a record we'd like to keep, it'd be hypothetical if we state as something fixed.

The IQ test are commonly used for identifying gifted and talented. If the so called gifted and talented by nature then how does nurture distinct them among the rest?