Geet - Hui Sabse Parayee

Such A beautiful Definition of Marriage

sanyu86 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Like everyone else I'm very disappointed with the way the Dev Nandini track has been shaping up and if it wasn't for SS this track would have been unbearable. In between all this mess I'd like to concentrate on one positive and that is the uncertainty and vulnerability that any girl feels on the thought of marriage. I read a few posts yesterday as to how different people have had different experiences with their parents.

What I most liked about yesterday's episode was Maan's definition and understanding of marriage. In just a few words he opened and placed such a beautiful picture of this complicated and mysterious relationship and he also took me and my husband back down memory lane when we were watching the episode with my family.

Maan's explanation holds true for any kind of marriage be it love or arranged... My parents had a love marriage, they knew each other as friends for 4yrs as they were working in the same office … fell in love, courted each other for 10 months and then with the blessings of both the families got married…(incidentally mom's a sindhi n dad's a maharashtrian)

Even though all my dad's brothers are major MCP's my dad is of a different mould altogether and seeing my parents love grow day by day has given me and my sister a very secure and loving foundation in life...

I fell in love with a childhood friend whom I knew for more than 7yrs…we started dating when I was 18 and both sets of parents knew from day 1 that we are seeing each other. Since we were of the same age we knew that we had to choose our careers very carefully without sacrificing our dreams too much but also keeping an eye to the future… My in-laws are neurosurgeons and Amit(my husband) has always wanted to be a doctor but instead of a neurosurgeon he was more inclined to be a pediatrician but for me he choose neurosurgery because it would be easier to inherit his parents thriving practice than to start of setting up a new practice. I have always wanted to be a lawyer but since I knew that studying law in india I could not practice in the US I compromised and did my law and Company Secretary n then gave the global exam for CS which allowed me to work in over 80 countries including the US which was the closest I came to law… Yesterday when Maan said "Thoda aap unhe samajhiye thoda wo aapko", it brought home the fact that marriage is a two-way street… after all it takes two to tango…

But still that was not enough. When the topic of marriage came up after 8 years of courtship, surprisingly it was I who was hesitant and not Amit. I was happy with being a girlfriend and just did not want to budge and go further. I was not ready to take on the responsibility being a wife entailed. Everybody from my parents to his parents, relatives, friends, nosy neighbors counseled but I was too scared to change our relationship … as Maan pointed out it is fear which holds a person back n more so for a girl because all said and done it is she who has to make the bigger adjustments, the bigger sacrifices but the one person who was being most affected by my behaviour didn't say a word because he knew me best and knew that pushing me will only make me dig my heels in deeper… He just let me be and it was this calm unhurried understanding that helped me take the decision of marrying him after 11 yrs of dating…

Yes marriage does change a lot of things but it's not the destination but the journey which is all the fun and frankly speaking it doesn't matter whether it's 11 years or 11 months the first step has to be friendship …

Everybody on this forum has different reasons for watching Geet for some it's the crackling chemistry, for some it's the Passion, for some the Gurmeet for some Drashti, for some a particular scene reminds them of a memory which gives rise to a sense of deja-vu, for some they see in Maan or Geet how they want their life partner to be …or it may be a mix of all the above reasons…

But for me it's just that this series brings with it nostalgia … I had become first angry then mad n then plain delusional with the Dev-Nandini track and was watching the series just as a matter of routine something which I do everyday but yesterday Maan's sound practical advice to Nandini brought a smile to my face n an emotion with it which to my surprise I recognized as hope…

Maybe things are not that bad and maybe I will still relate to this series which can still send a thrill down my back at the most unexpected of moments….

P. S. Sorry never intended for the post to be so MAUDLIN nor so LENGHTY…

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

9Madhu9 thumbnail
What a great story and lesson in life  - thanks for sharing
khushimuskaan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏nice post👏👏👏👏👏👏
meravigiliso thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
thanks for sharing . yes ,indeed what maan said about "marraige is hundred percent true and practical . enjoyed or shall i say  felt happy to read your experience . For me ,any relation needs nurturing  to grow and become strong and none the less marraige reqiures the most . jab do anjaan insaan ek aise rishte mein bandh jate jo pehle to bahut hi kachha hota hai par dheere dheere patience ,undestanding ,transparency ,comprimise and the most important thing love se ek aise dor ban jati hai ki ,jise hum apne partner ke bolne se pehle samajh jatehai ,jahan shabdo ki zarrorat hi nahi hoti hai  bus dekthe hi hum mehsoos kar sakthe ki woh kya kehna chahte hai. . that's is the beauty of marriage .