Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: lunza

And ya .. they made a hash of it by unnessarily killing sachin .. and from that point viewers like me felt more sypathetic towards savita ... all that harrassment/abuse archu faced became "insignificant"  compared to this loss savita experienced ... Agreed! I hated Sachin killing twist too.
They handled the whole thing pretty badly .. completely took away attention from harrassment/abuse .. the whole issue was put on the backburner , heck .. it wasnt even explored...Ditto!

I actually found this part very gripping , a bit difficult to read at times tbh .. ( thank god u skipped some stuff..) .. but i have just one request .. please dont make manav go to the k's and apologize on his mom's behalf after he comes to know the truth .. I would hate that ...Frankly speaking would hate that too... but it would show Manav as the bigger person in this mess. A sorry does not make anyone small, but rather accepting graciously when the mistake is yours is a sign of a gentleman and a fair person. Am not saying that this is going to happen for sure in the next part, but this is a point to ponder- do we want Manav to shine as a character , or do we want him to be a hypocrite who does not admit his Aai's mistake and proves that he is no different than the ordinary husband who supports his mother in public even if she has behaved like a witch, so that we can get audience satisfaction that Manav didn't apologize to Karanjkars? Sometimes, behaving better than the enemy actually makes you bigger than them, the enemy falls in his own eyes. Not to forget, Manav did use some very harsh words for the Karanjkars too.

Whatever be the case, one thing is for sure- I am going to find it very difficult to write the next part, it will be difficult to find a balanced track that will please both me and the audience.😆

And yeah .. I would have liked it if archu herself gathered the courage to tell manav the truth about his mum .. rather than some third person ... well , archu should at least be present when manav has this session with that NGO lady , instead of completely chickening out ...
Its not a case of chickening out, but I personally think Mrs. Ruhia can do a better job of explaining things- she has more legal knowledge and is better equipped to convince Manav. Anyway, let's see.

I
ouch ... i am already feeling bad for manav's state of mind .. when he comes to know about his mum ...  

niki , manav ka aur kitna waat lagaaogi ... give him some happiness yaar ... and please tell me manju will at least get her bu*t whipped .. i loathe her ...Okay this is the last one. Happy?😃 Ab aur waat nai lagaungi.😛 And yes, as I said, Manjusha will get punished in multiple ways.
I am waiting for the day manav gets an apology from the k's .. i.e queen sulo and popat vinod ... hated their apathy in this part ...He won't get an apology, he will get much much more than that.😉
oh the poor kids .. the embarrassment they will have to face in school ..Sab theek ho jayega, Dr. Niki has a magic cure for everything.😃
btw how old are they exactly ? what are they studying ? ...12 th standard. Both are studying so that they can get into good colleges next year. I never wrote about their studies in detail as of now (though its there in my mind) but yes, I did mention at one point about Vedant wanting to go to medical college, so yeah, Vedant is studying the Sciences.
Oh , and can u show manav slapping sachin the next time he makes an appearance and lays guilt trips on his dada ? ... feeling angry at his absence from the house .. that coward .. he has run away to live his life  .. not giving a damn about whats happening back home ...😆 Abhi se thappad?!? Lol, his backstory will come up after some time.

i hope the kids grow up fast and give their dada the much needed TLC  ...

EDIT : ATB for ur exams 😃.. have fun 😆

Edited by nikitagmc - 12 years ago
nikitagmc thumbnail
Originally posted by: abhilasha_dream

nikki I hope u will not go off to another month vactaion after this fabulous update... I like this update as its logical.

This is one rare comment. 😃 thankyou!!! 
--Hope-- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: nikitagmc

In your FF, I loved the scene u set witht eh original PR characters and the original PR plot.  Most of all, I loved how you managed to keep the storyline pure, intriguing and simple marital story without the vitriol that Ekta's storylines contain.  Very down to earth and relatable.

Ekta's PR got destroyed for me with the beating for the Ds. It was unreasonably cruel and harsh for the simple story that it had started out to be. I liked how you handled and incorporated Shravani's involvement but I was lost reading this update.

I know you will make your best efforts to rescue the protagonists inspite of this plot but somehow this part now makes this FF feel more like Ekta's PR than Nicki's PR.  Any marital compromise after this will now have the same effect that Ekta's reunion did after divorce. an imbalanced effort.

Actually Hope, I always wrote this story aiming to show the journey of a lower middle class married couple, two people who come together with their own baggage of problems for each other- the boy has a dysfunctional family in which any girl would find difficult to adjust, the girl has the shadow of an evil person hounding her, Ajit, who resolves to leave no stone unturned in wrecking her life, which affects her husband too. Both are not really advantageous for each other if you see it that way.

I wanted it to show it as a journey of their little sorrows and joys, testing times and victories, difficulties and how they fight them and in this process, their relationship evolves, and so do their characters.

To do this, I tried to incorporate issues a lower middle class couple could face.

Niki I guess that is where my disappointment sets in.  Your FF was always realistic and relatable till now.  What happened between Savita and Archana was typical saas-bahu nok jhok. it is not nice but is life. The feminist movement is all well and good until you end up living in a joitn family set up willingly or for lack of choice.  Then the feminist movement goes down the drain and survival instincts kick in. you become more tolerant and learn to pick the battles you fight and choose to win.  I know many many many women who face this underserved rivalry with their MIL for their son's affections.   FIling police complaint for such a common though distasteful reason is extreme and highly unrealistic.  While a character like Manjusha might do this with the intent of police brutality being a satisfactory outcome if not public humiliation at the least, characters as extreme as Manjusha are too rude an interruption in a beautiful love story.  I had hoped that this part would cover the dynamics of their limbo relationship.

Niki, no marriage recovers from such a brutal experience. I can assure you of this in reality. you only take such a drastic step as the Ks and you only allow such a drastic step to go unchalleged as Archana does when you are sure you have burnt all your bridges and there is no going back to sasural. coming back home with him was not nearly enough.  It is an aggravator for an innocent victim not a step towards reconciliation of any sort. You are a constant reminder of the undeserved brutality and humiliation that can never be reversed or forgotten. Even Ekta realized this that is why in the show it was shown that Manav refuses to be consoled by Archana and in fact tyaags her. that was a normal reaction for once in an Ekta show. it was not too dramatic but very realistic.

FYI,  Archana was harassed not abused by Savita.  The treatment meted out in the show could be considered by even creative and vindictive minds as a just retribution for abuse but not harassment, I think.This I don't know. I based the story upon the understanding from the numerous discussions on the forum and later with Kools.

I explained myself above. so will not say more here.

Archana's harassment in Ekta's show and your FF was enabled by her own silence and acquiciense of Savita's actions. She did not cause them or deserve them but she did not discourage them or curb them either.   True that Archana's silence caused her to suffer. But that does not absolve Savita of treating her badly. I just wanted to show her as someone real- someone who is scared of it at first and does not know how to react or talk to her newly wed husband about it, not knowing if he would support her. But she did make an attempt to curb it- she asked Shravani (who worked with her at the NGO earlier) for help and what she was supposed to do. Unfortunately Shravani succumbed to her selfish desires and misguided Archana.

there are other ways with less damaging effect on an already faltering marriage to show this I guess.  like word leaking from manjusha to prospective grooms for the other siblings or  word leaking to Manav himself. Her harrassment was something that should have been dealt with through societal shame as opposed to police brutality or the legal system.   A senior citizen who uses words and a harsh tone to harass someone gets beaten up with lathis to prove a point of poetic justice.  imbalanced in my opinion.

Similarily, I didn't want to make Archana a Jhansi ki Rani in one day. I had thought of showing this change gradually in the story- starting from being scared, then slightly tactical, then taking little bold steps, and so on. She was slightly tactical in part 71, and took the first little bold step in this part (in the end)

I agree. Overnight transformation will not happen but second guessing every decision will happen.  She was very firm that she did not want to do anything against Manjusha. that is not someone who is second guessing. that is someone who came back for the wrong reasons and still lacks the commitment that she thinks she came with.  she still disappointments.  Now she has decided to listen to a total stranger over the husband she regrets abandoning and who is now suffering for her own neverending silence. 

Archana was not beaten physically because of Savita yet Savita and the Ds were beaten physically becasue of Archana.  A distinct imbalance.  She may have not been beaten, but the way Savita went about shouting in front of all her neighbours that she was a prostitute is enough horror to any girl to do the unthinkable. (I did not incorporate the scenes in detail in the FF cos we have already seen them in the show)

Savita got what she deserved. The imbalance occured for Manav, who got punished for no mistake- this I accept.

I still disagree and I am a married woman who has lived in a joint family and been exposed to strife involved repeatedly. So is Kools. 

I explain why above.

So can one assume that one such scene would lead to another retribuion scene where Sulochana and the entire Ks are arrested and beaten viciously for harassing Manav and Manav refuses to support Archana and claim he was not abused/ harassed upon the advice of a NGO? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?????? Sorry Hope, mujhe yeh samajh nahi aya.😕 Ks did not harass him. And are there any such laws for males in the country if they are harassed?  

Sulo has harassed Manav in exactly the same depth as Archana has been harassed by Savita.  Manav did something about it while Archu did not that is why Manav appears less of a victim compared to Archana. 

Before I left India in 1999 there was a society that protected men that were battered husbands. It is a social stigma that is not as widely known because of the feminist movement.  It does exist.  The problem is that global women's movements have ensure that rights of wives are preserved or given a certain importance but no such support is shown for battered men or husbands in developing countries which are patriarchial in nature. it will be source of embarrasment. 

In the west, both husbands and wives have their rights protected against harassment and abuse. In the case of harassment you don't imprison the spouse unless there is intent of bodily harm. you do however get a restraining order that is legally enforced.  it is when there is actual physcial abuse that there is imprisonment.  here, manjusha would not have been let go based on "good intent".  she would have had to prove abuse (mental or physical) before anyone was arrested and she could be arrested for falsifying a complaint and sued in civil court for punitive damages for defamation of character and physical and emotional trauma. savita and manav would have won easier than manjusha would have got off. the solution for such harassment is divorce not imprisonment.

--Hope-- thumbnail
just a thought -  I hope it is helpful in the future if you ever decide to pursue creative writing as a parallel occupation freelance.  you never know you could be a consulting doctor and an author like Rowling.

love stories and social dramas are two distinct genres because they appeal to two distinct audiences - one emotional that derives entertainment from flights of fancy and the other practical that derives entertainment from a utopian pursuit of values.   of course there is always an overlap where people can enjoy both genres in a single plot but this requires the bulk of your audience to be in that overlap area - it also helps if you precondition the audience with hints of the social element i.e. a strong or determined female lead can be a preconditioning for twists to come.  like in Pratigya.  romance and women's emancipation both hinted at for the audience.

I remember watching Monsoon Wedding - a wonderful movie. it was about an arranged marriage that turned into a pleasant love story but they unexpectedly threw in the twist of pedophilia and social stigma for child victims. it was too sudden and killed the fragile romantic connection with the audience.  I read the user reviews - they all had one common theme. they loved the romance but were unprepared for the social twist. there were requests to the service provider to change the category of the movie as it had appeared in their search for light romance or easy romance or something like that.
nikitagmc thumbnail

Thanks for commenting Hope. 

I have nothing more to say. I tried to extract as much information as I could, and made up the story the way I perceived it. Now that it looks wrong to many of you I simply don't know what to do at this point. I guess even comments and likes are less this time cos many of you got disgusted by this part., even the regular readers. 

I need time to settle myself first and think and think and rethink and rethink some more.

And guys, I take my words back- now I can't say anything about when I will next update. Sorry to everyone.
--Hope-- thumbnail
Originally posted by: nikitagmc

But what harassment Hope? Harassment in what sense? Someone showed fake proof, and Sulochana took away her daughter for safety. After that she or her family never mingled or did anything to him. They only aimed to keep Archu safe. That is it. They did not pester him with a single piece of unnecessary demand or anything. It was Manav who was hell bent in proving his innocence and got involved.

Did they take her away quietly? No they humiliated the husband. I don't remember if Sulo slapped him in your FF. but I do remember that it was not a quiet affair.  Everytime he was insulted, called a liar and worse names publicly. that is harassment. they forced a divorce on a clearly unwilling girl and harassed him when he tried to reconcile.  It does not appear like harassment because he refused to be victimised inspite of their efforts.  he has been publicly humiliated at every turn with this incident being no exception.  they have even supported silently his harassment by their DIl and their samdhans.  archana acts the victim so it is easy to consider her a harassed victim.  manav does not act the victim even after being physcially tortured so he appears less a victim.  this man who has repeatedlly been victimised is being casually written off as collateral damage for the protection of a woman who choses not to act strongly for her own protection.  two wrongs don't make a right.

I know there is battered husbands society, what I meant to say is if there were some special laws about them.  not to my knowledge for men though what I was trying to say that this was a situation that did not need a legal solution under criminal laws.

Not that I consider Manav battered, actually.   Archu was emotionally harassed and so was Manav. Neither was physically abused.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for commenting Hope. 

I have nothing more to say. I tried to extract as much information as I could, and made up the story the way I perceived it. Now that it looks wrong to many of you I simply don't know what to do at this point. I guess even comments and likes are less this time cos many of you got disgusted by this part., even the regular readers. 

I need time to settle myself first and think and think and rethink and rethink some more.

And guys, I take my words back- now I can't say anything about when I will next update. Sorry to everyone.
[/QUOTE]
I came on too strong na?  forgive me.
😳

nikitagmc thumbnail

I came on too strong na?  forgive me.
😳

Don't say sorry Hope. My answers in red.
dhahi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by nikitagmc

Please Nikita, don't feel bad.
None of us dint mean to hurt you.
This does not mean we don't like your FF.
We loved it, are loving it and will love it always.
& we know, in next part, you will again provide a wonderful update yet again & will get bombarded with all of our loving posts.
So please don't feel bad.

Ur exams are more important.
All the very best for them.

Edited by dhahi - 12 years ago
nikitagmc thumbnail
Originally posted by: dhahi

Please Nikita, don't feel bad.
None of us dint mean to hurt you.
This does not mean we don't like your FF.
We loved it, are loving it and will love it always.
& we know, in next part, you will again provide a wonderful update yet again & will get bombarded with all of our loving posts.
So please don't feel bad.

Ur exams are more important.
All the very best for them.

To everyone:

I am not upset because of the criticism. I knew I would get a strong reaction because the way the story has folded till now, everyone's sympathy is more with Manav. (Except myself I guess- I'm sympathetic to both) Feedback of some readers gave me the idea that they feel the story is ruined now, so even I started feeling the same (temporarily). That's it.

I'm alright now. All of you, please don't worry. I appreciate everyone's honest feedback.
--Minks-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Niki... we lovee your story-telling... honestly 👍🏼

See, I am a big fan of the Harry Potter series, and loved all the books like mad, but it does not mean that I liked all of them equally. All the 7 books had different flavors and twists, and I didnt like few of them... but it was Rowling's amazing story-telling which kept me spell-bound. Even if I have not like one book as much, it has not deterred me from going back and re-reading it... LOL... I have to confess that I have read all the books at least 3-4 times each... 😳

That's the effect of amazing story-telling... its the same here Niki. I didn't like this twist as much as the others, but I still absolutely love your story... the way you delve deep into each one's mindset and emotions... It makes it all worthwhile to read. Even in this bit, I liked the way you portrayed Manav and yes, even Archana's mindset and dilemma about the right and wrong things to do. I so want you to continue your story as there is immense potential in it. 

My grouse has been the way things are in general in our society, the harassing  MILs, meek girls, and this whole mis-communication leading to marriage troubles later on. This does not mean that we cannot have an excellent story with them, stories are bound to show reality. And unless the authors do so, we shall get only hunky dory, happily ever after rom-coms... how boring would that be... 🥱

Like you yourself said, its good fun to discuss and debate issues , even if its a story. You said that you are going to get Manjusha punished for her deeds and I would love to see how... so, plz plz...plz...🤗 do continue if you can... Ill always be happy to read more...

Minks