Preet Se Bandhi Yeh Dori... Ram Milaayi Jodi

India-Forums

Do Punjabi women never wear saris in India? (Page 3)

April2007 IF-Dazzler
April2007
April2007

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 12:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mannat27

Punjabis who belong to Sikhism do not wear saris at all, not even in parties or on occasions. Sikh Punjabis always wear salwar kameez suits. The Punjabis that you may see wearing saris are rather adapting the modern fashions at the time, rather than following their traditions and heritage. The salwar kameez suits are a symbol for decency and a girl's honor and respect. There is no offense to saris since people who are comfortable with saris do wear them. But saris belong to Hinduism while salwar kameez suits belong to Sikhism.

As for the show, they are not really exagerrating it, since they are simply showing a Punjabi girl married into a Gujrati family, but that girl does not leave her culture behind her. Instead, she does follow alteast as much as is possible for her.

So, no, punjabi women do not wear saris at all.

Urban Sikhs wear Saris. Sari is an Indian attire not Sikh or Hindu and Sikhs are Indians, religion has nothing to do with what one wears, Sikhism dictates spirituality doesn't try to run your day to day life  ..I wear pants and dresses that doesn't mean I am western. Rural Punjabis are not exposed to saris, it has nothing to do with modest.. honour or respect in your heart it has nothing to do with clothing. Sari is very honourable and pretty.

I totally agree that no girl can leave their upbringing and culture behind..if you leave your upbring behind then you are nobody..you will not be able to recognize yourself, you will be lost..totally psychological case.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

mittijalebiInfofanChingaari

kaurp07 Groupbie
kaurp07
kaurp07

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged
I'm Sikh Punjabi, raised in US, and I've never worn a sari. But that's my personal choice, I can wear whatever I want, it's just whenever there's any event at which I could wear a sari, I'd prefer wearing a salwar kameez for comfort, so I can dance properly :)

But for everyday life, I think most sikh women would wear salwar kameez, it's just a lot easier to handle and convenient.
April2007 IF-Dazzler
April2007
April2007

Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by kaurp07

I'm Sikh Punjabi, raised in US, and I've never worn a sari. But that's my personal choice, I can wear whatever I want, it's just whenever there's any event at which I could wear a sari, I'd prefer wearing a salwar kameez for comfort, so I can dance properly :)

But for everyday life, I think most sikh women would wear salwar kameez, it's just a lot easier to handle and convenient.

I am Sikh Punjabi I was raised in Delhi, I am equally comfortable in saris or salwar kameez. I love wearing both and wear them with equal ease..I have no problem dancing in a sari. 

It all depends if your family comes from urban or rural India.  Rural sikh punjabis or ones coming directly from punjab don't have much exposers to saris. In my family even older women wear sari and salwar kameez.. My mom is equally at ease in sari or salwar kameez. .

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Infofan

gaga00 Senior Member
gaga00
gaga00

Posted: 18 May 2011 at 9:03am | IP Logged
punjabi's dont usually wear sari but salwar kameez... generally punjabi hindu's wear sari on party and other occasions.. however thanks to TV shows.women are wearing more sarees than ever
daljeetsimpy Newbie
daljeetsimpy
daljeetsimpy

Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:27am | IP Logged
I am a sikh, born and brought up in India, and me and my family love wearing sarees. What the show is showing is not entriely true, specially for thise living in Delhi.

PriyaxBassi Goldie
PriyaxBassi
PriyaxBassi

Posted: 20 May 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged
while Punjabis do wear salwar kameez
Punjabi Sikhs do not wear sari  daily though (remember they are portraying Punjabi Sikh). I know that they wear saris( not all about half of them) at parties espicially reception parties

But i know there are many punjabi hindus that wear saris daily 

But they are living in Dehli so i  don't understand why wearing saris is a issue cause sikhs in dehli wear saris daily if they want to

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

punjabi#1Infofan

being1human Newbie
being1human
being1human

Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged

Hetal used to wear salwar kameez all the time so what's the new drama about saree. She should be happy that she can continue to wear salwar kameez at her in-laws. Why's she wearing saree for no reason.

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Preet Se Bandhi Yeh Dori... Ram Milaayi Jodi Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index