AreYaar

Posted: 13 May 2011 at 8:54am | IP Logged
Why are you here now?
LadyMcbeth IF-Sizzlerz
LadyMcbeth
LadyMcbeth

Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged
Congrats everyone on making it to 70!!! Party

Anu - Special thanks to you for being the mastermind, soul and keeper of this thread ... Muaah *blows virtual kisses*

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Mru_beeAreYaar

nimrah IF-Rockerz
nimrah
nimrah

Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:16am | IP Logged
Congrats on the new CC, everyone!!! Hug

Mru_beeAreYaar

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:18am | IP Logged
Replying to LadyM from the last CC:

Originally posted by LadyMcbeth

Originally posted by nureat01

The bollywood dance styles in these American shows look like emotionless acrobatics to me...they just don't get the EMOTION of it right...and Bollywood style is high on emotions and expressions...not "technique"...I find all these ppl laughable with their bolly aerobics and whatnot...especially those ABCD types who've opened their "bollywood dancing" schools in the big cities...LOL...lameness.

Anu - I agree 100%. I've seen the ABCD kids dancing in every dance festival here, while their parents go ga-ga about how so and so dance class teaches Bollywood style dancing. Honestly it looks fake to me. It lacks soul, expression and more so emotion. Nothing against these enthusiastic kids yaar, but I'm definitely upset at the parents for not teaching them the prose and poetry behind it. Music alone is not sufficient to get the thumkas right. One needs to understand the depth, tone and mood of the poetry associated with it. Only then can one deliver the right performance. Otherwise, like you said - it looks like acrobats.

I know that my own kid is going to be called an ABCD. But at least I'll make sure that I am not pushing him into something without his understand the meaning of it.

Edit: Finally we are at the last page of 69 ... Shreya rejoice ... thanks for putting the keeda in everyone's mind... some of us were errrmmming, some of us were clueless, while yet others were curious enough to research it, only to errrm later on LOL

Firstly...haha yeah we're finally done with 69...Shreya's dirty mind can't come up with anything for 70 I think so the innocent junta of this CC is safe for now ;-)

As for the rest...honestly I fear having kids in this country in some ways...I mean how on earth do you balance out their identity crisis issues? I would never want my kids to grow up as one-dimensional ABCD type caricatures either...better that they become totally gora-fied rather than be like na idhar ke na udhar ke...LOL...all this "cultural identification" stuff has no point if it's in name only...like you said, most of them don't get the MEANING of what they are doing...they are just going through the motions to show that they are still in touch with their culture...which is what I mostly see around me out here in the U.S.

Mru_beeLadyMcbeth

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:25am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ramy25

dunno about that anu, but in my school, it's us kids who step forward, choreograph the routines and perform. and you know what, i went to india 3 years ago for wedding and ummm everyone there couldn't even do a single step of our raas (i'm gujju...lol hence the raas aka stick dance ..lol i love it. it's so much fun! We sweat it out during navratriLOL and then the next day at school we're all so sore walking from one class to anotherROFL).
anyhow, my point is that it all depends on your parents and family and how much they instill the cultural values in you. I know gujarati (only talking wise...i can't read or write) because my grandparents and my parents talk to me in it. I know hindi from movies and such.
Cultural shows are quite boring i agree. I'm not talking about those...because i don't perform in those. I don't even like to go to those now.
Besides, I didn't say that dancing to those songs is the only way "we" connect to the culture. Obviously not!
You see it's like keeping a balance between the two types of cultures.  I think my grandparents have had a big role in instilling "indian culture" in my brother and I and My parents have had a bigger role in showing us how to balance the ethnic culture and the culture of the country we're born in.

You're Gujju? LOL how come your name is Amy then? :S...I guess I haven't heard that Gujju name before...

I thought Raas/Garba was the dance with the claps and Dandiya was the one with the sticks, no?

I understand what you are trying to say, Amy...I have enough cousins born and brought up here that I've observed too...they're like you...they can speak the language...sing shabads in the gurudwaras, do bhangra at their college competitions...the whole laundry list...but I still think most of these things are surface level only...they don't REALLY give you a genuine understanding of the MEANING of your culture...

I think we'll just have to leave it at a difference of perspective...to a person born and brought up in India, this would never look like full on genuine identification with culture...it seems more cosmetic...but I guess it works for you guys cuz you are your own community of kids born here so you all bond over this kind of stuff in whatever way you do...it's a different community...

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Mru_beeNymeriaLadyMcbethincandescence

nimrah IF-Rockerz
nimrah
nimrah

Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:25am | IP Logged
Hmph. LadyM, maine ab tak 69 fiasco pe search nahi kiya. I'm a shareef bachi! 

Okay, haven't really read the discussions in the last CC. Trying to catch up.. But duuude, Anan't latko-ing from the rikshaw and acting like such a retard.. That scene was so majorly annoying.. I remember Mayank did something like that too na? Tongue But in the end while in rickshaw, he's all bhaiya hurry up and I'm like ab latko na! Tongue 

SSK sucks! Officially sucks! Tongue I KNEW they wouldn't show SRK today, par beth gayi ghadon ki tarah dekhne. Mere 45 minutes WASTE ho gae. Thora parh leti main! Aik second ko dikhaya usko! Idiots! They'll show the rest on Monday and I have an EXAM on Tuesday! *sobs*

and did Shreya make a gallery or not? I want to use the SRK sigs she made. Ab peeche pages main dhoondhna parega.. Ouch

Edited by nimrah - 13 May 2011 at 9:27am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Mru_beeLadyMcbethAreYaar

AreYaar IF-Achieverz
AreYaar
AreYaar

Posted: 13 May 2011 at 9:30am | IP Logged
Heyyy Nimrah *hugs*

LOL yeah Anant was latkoing from the auto and even went one step further than Mayank by doing those dumb hand waves *facepalm*

LOL they didn't show SRK in SSK today??? Aww *comforting hugs* Chalo koi nahin baad mein dekh lena...all the best for your exam!

Nahin Shreya didn't make her gallery :/...even though we all bugged her a lot...pata nahin if she's posting her stuff properly anywhere else :S

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

nimrahincandescenceLadyMcbeth

Go to top