why don't people learn? - Page 2

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by osama-bin-joe

LOL, the market is not really the fundamentals, but the level of optimism based on the fundamentals. yep, I've been able to lose less than .5% of my capital(abt 24 - 28K) and then avoid the market while the market lost 7 -8%. Damn I'm good 😛 the market moves , so momentum is a good way to buy and sell I guess.

markets move in cycles. mehta was a giant fool himself, assuming a bull run would continue forever, nowadays bull runs don't go past 2 -3 years. in a developing economy like India's, the bear market might last a lot less, as the optimism doesn't really get smashed. Already after a decline the market looks like it's basing(we don't know if it'll break above or break down, though)

madoff got away with it though. Still worth millions. 😲

nowadays technicians are pretty vunerable. Those damn stock operators keep playin it cheap with their damn false signals. I avoided ITC when it broke out at 193, and yep, as I had guessed, it fell back down. 😆 but then again, it's our fault, as false signals only happen in the direction opposite to the main trend.

Market indeed is all about - to suppress your optimism when its bullish and how to control your pessimism when it bearish. Mehta went wrong on optimism side. ah! no matter how ready u r for bearish market u end up loosing money
decline in market impacts economies, specially in the service based industry like india. (not that manufacturing based remains unaffected). People already started anticipating the worse looking at continuous dripping market for two weeks.  I personally feel its too early to anticipate anything, but then I am still new to the whole game and field .. still Learning man! more I learn about market more I laugh!  Latest rajarathnam case was even hilarious how this guy made money.

<edit from earlier post!>

There has to be some humor to all this ... cause people never cease to learn!

A stock analyst and a Wall Street broker went to the races. The broker suggested to bet $10,000 on a horse. The analyst was sceptical, saying that he wanted first to understand the rules, to look on horses, etc. The broker whispered that he knew a secret algorithm for the success, but he could not convince the analyst.

"You are too theoretical," he said and bet on a horse. Surely, that horse came first bringing him a lot of money. Triumphantly, he exclaimed: "I told you, I knew the secret!"
"What is your secret?" the analyst asked.
"It is rather easy. I have two kids, three and five year old. I sum up their ages and I bet on number nine."
"But, three and five is eight," the analyst protested.
"I told you, you are too theoretical!" the broker replied, "Haven't I just shown experimentally that my calculation is correct?!"
Originally posted by night13

<edit from earlier post!>

There has to be some humor to all this ... cause people never cease to learn!

A stock analyst and a Wall Street broker went to the races. The broker suggested to bet $10,000 on a horse. The analyst was sceptical, saying that he wanted first to understand the rules, to look on horses, etc. The broker whispered that he knew a secret algorithm for the success, but he could not convince the analyst.

"You are too theoretical," he said and bet on a horse. Surely, that horse came first bringing him a lot of money. Triumphantly, he exclaimed: "I told you, I knew the secret!"
"What is your secret?" the analyst asked.
"It is rather easy. I have two kids, three and five year old. I sum up their ages and I bet on number nine."
"But, three and five is eight," the analyst protested.
"I told you, you are too theoretical!" the broker replied, "Haven't I just shown experimentally that my calculation is correct?!"

hilarious 🤣

broker and Analysts are as different as Engineers and Researchers .. I am an Engineer who is trying to understand finance so at the end I seem to be going brokers way

couldn't stop myself from posting this

A mathematician and an engineer are sitting next to each other on a long flight. The mathematician leans over to the engineer and asks if he would like to play a fun game. The engineer just wants to take a nap, so he politely declines and rolls over to the window to catch a few winks.

The mathematician persists and explains that the game is real easy and lots of fun. He explains, "I ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me $5. Then you ask me a question, and if I don't know the answer, I'll pay you $5."

Again, the engineer politely declines and tries to get to sleep. The mathematician, now somewhat agitated, says, "Okay, if you don't know the answer, you pay me $5, and if I don't know the answer, I'll pay you $50!"

This catches the engineer's attention, and he sees no end to this torment unless he plays, so he agrees to the game. The mathematician asks the first question. "What's the distance from the earth to the moon?"

The engineer doesn't say a word, but reaches into his wallet, pulls out a five-dollar bill and hands it to the mathematician Now, it's the engineer's turn. He asks the mathematician "What goes up a hill with three legs and comes down on four?"

The mathematician looks up at him with a puzzled look. He takes out his laptop computer and searches all of his references. He taps into the air phone with his modem and searches the net and the Library of Congress. Frustrated, he sends e-mail to his co-workers all to no avail.

After about an hour, he wakes the engineer and hands him $50. The engineer politely takes the $50 and turns away to try to get back to sleep.

The mathematician then hits the engineer, saying, "What goes up a hill with three legs, and comes down on four?" The engineer calmly pulls out his wallet, hands the mathematician five bucks, and goes back to sleep.

Edited by monar - 12 years ago
As per my experiance in share market, we can't make money if you are unwilling to lose...two three times...chappad paad ke stocks down hogaye dhe,thats why now stop playing weekly buy/hold/sells system...am looks only  long term portfolio  or long term investments espl in service sectors...😊
Originally posted by monar

Market indeed is all about - to suppress your optimism when its bullish and how to control your pessimism when it bearish. Mehta went wrong on optimism side. ah! no matter how ready u r for bearish market u end up loosing money
decline in market impacts economies, specially in the service based industry like india. (not that manufacturing based remains unaffected). People already started anticipating the worse looking at continuous dripping market for two weeks.  I personally feel its too early to anticipate anything, but then I am still new to the whole game and field .. still Learning man! more I learn about market more I laugh!  Latest rajarathnam case was even hilarious how this guy made money.

or you can just take a 12 month moving average and invest once the average changes its sideways slope to a rising slope, that's a pretty good method that's worked for people who tried it. :)

if people have really anticipated the worst then we are in for a bull run 😛 also people are too scared to go short. in india we can only short intraday, but we can short futures if we want :)

also these damn stock experts on cnbc tv 18(I dont know the diff bet stock market channels, but I only watch it because of a certain news anchor 😳😆)  like to recommend shars to people to offload them. they say crap like "long term benefits" and "good fundamentals" and "p/e ratio trading at 1000 times it's EBIDTA" or whatever crap. some dude has made profits by doing the opposite of what they say 🤣

Osama Joe pl do not try this.

Bombing suspect's motive was stock market profits, say police

The Korea Herald/Asia News Network
Mon, May 16, 2011

The explosions at two public transportation hubs in Seoul last Thursday were masterminded by a man seeking profits from causing the stock market to fall, police concluded Sunday.

Last week, the 43-year-old man, identified only by his surname Kim, invested in "put options" that appreciate when stock prices drop. He expected the blasts to panic investors into selling stocks, officials said.

Kim hatched the bombing plot after he had suffered heavy losses in futures transactions earlier this year.

On Saturday, police apprehended him and two other accomplices suspected of detonating two bombs just 30 minutes apart at Seoul Station and Gangnam Express Bus Terminal. The blasts caused no injuries.

The incident escalated public fears of terrorism, with experts claiming that South Korea could fall victim to attacks from international groups especially after Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaida, was killed in a U.S. military raid in Pakistan on May 1. After graduating from high school, Kim spent a total of four years in jail for special robbery, police said. They added that they had not found any evidence yet of a political motive.

"We judged that the explosions were not carried out by one with a strange antisocial personality who wanted to conduct an act of terrorism on many unspecified people for political purposes, but by one who wants to achieve economic objectives," said an official, declining to be named.

After being released from prison in July 2010, he borrowed some 3 million won ($276,497) from his acquaintances and made large investments in futures. On the expiration date, which came in March, he lost them all, according to police.

He once again borrowed some 50 million won and invested it in put options Wednesday. Police say he sought to benefit financially from confusion on the stock market with the explosions on the expiration date Thursday.

Kim came to know the two other suspects through his acquaintances. Kim allegedly told one of them ? a 36-year-old man, surnamed Lee ? to purchase a timer, batteries and other materials for explosives. The other ? 51-year-old man, surnamed Park ? was allegedly told to put the explosives in the lockers in the waiting rooms at the two locations.

Last month, Kim viewed instructions on how to make incendiary devices on the Internet, police said.

As the modus operandi for the two explosions were similar and they occurred only half an hour apart, police suspected that they were carried out by the same person with some accomplices.

After analyzing the closed-circuit TV footage from the two locations, police found one of the suspects. Using explosive materials left in the lockers, they also tracked down the whereabouts of the other suspects, officials said.

Police nabbed Lee in Incheon at around 12:30 a.m. on Saturday. They detained Kim in Yangpyeong, Gyeonggi Province at 5:45 p.m. Park was caught in Seoul at 9:10 p.m., according to officials.

Police plan to seek an arrest warrant for Kim and investigate the others without detention.

-The Korea Herald/Asia News Network

Originally posted by monar

hilarious 🤣

broker and Analysts are as different as Engineers and Researchers .. I am an Engineer who is trying to understand finance so at the end I seem to be going brokers way

couldn't stop myself from posting this

A mathematician and an engineer are sitting next to each other on a long flight. The mathematician leans over to the engineer and asks if he would like to play a fun game. The engineer just wants to take a nap, so he politely declines and rolls over to the window to catch a few winks.

The mathematician persists and explains that the game is real easy and lots of fun. He explains, "I ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me $5. Then you ask me a question, and if I don't know the answer, I'll pay you $5."

Again, the engineer politely declines and tries to get to sleep. The mathematician, now somewhat agitated, says, "Okay, if you don't know the answer, you pay me $5, and if I don't know the answer, I'll pay you $50!"

This catches the engineer's attention, and he sees no end to this torment unless he plays, so he agrees to the game. The mathematician asks the first question. "What's the distance from the earth to the moon?"

The engineer doesn't say a word, but reaches into his wallet, pulls out a five-dollar bill and hands it to the mathematician Now, it's the engineer's turn. He asks the mathematician "What goes up a hill with three legs and comes down on four?"

The mathematician looks up at him with a puzzled look. He takes out his laptop computer and searches all of his references. He taps into the air phone with his modem and searches the net and the Library of Congress. Frustrated, he sends e-mail to his co-workers all to no avail.

After about an hour, he wakes the engineer and hands him $50. The engineer politely takes the $50 and turns away to try to get back to sleep.

The mathematician then hits the engineer, saying, "What goes up a hill with three legs, and comes down on four?" The engineer calmly pulls out his wallet, hands the mathematician five bucks, and goes back to sleep.

😆 that was a good one monar! Its not even always about being penny wise and pound foolish.  Mental compartmentalisation of money tends to affect ones judgement. Say, a certain Mr X  lost his movie ticket costing about Rs 500/- He was so disappointed at the loss that he turned back choosing not to buy another ticket. Mr. Y on ther other hand discovered that he had lost a Rs 500/- note . Though disappointed he did not mind shelling out another 500 bucks to purchase a movie ticket. Each had incurred a loss of Rs 500/- but it was perceived in a different manner.

Originally posted by osama-bin-joe

or you can just take a 12 month moving average and invest once the average changes its sideways slope to a rising slope, that's a pretty good method that's worked for people who tried it. :)

if people have really anticipated the worst then we are in for a bull run 😛 also people are too scared to go short. in india we can only short intraday, but we can short futures if we want :)

also these damn stock experts on cnbc tv 18(I dont know the diff bet stock market channels, but I only watch it because of a certain news anchor 😳😆)  like to recommend shars to people to offload them. they say crap like "long term benefits" and "good fundamentals" and "p/e ratio trading at 1000 times it's EBIDTA" or whatever crap. some dude has made profits by doing the opposite of what they say 🤣

u r sharing your strategies online for free 😆 I can take profit of it, by using some further confusing stats around (Mean Median mode) and I'll then confuse people around me.. and will keep on doing that till I am not succeeding to confuse the whole market with my strategies 🤣 btw, where was I? ah! among Mean median and mode .. I like Media the most 😳...

Shorting to me looks more like gambling frankly and future looks even worse, I am orthodox Desi investor who still believes in Bonds or Funds 😆 ah! sounds bore when we have loads of lucrative jagged up instruments around . Forex is the new buzz word in the town! Damn! all my friends are like put your money on currency.. darn! confuse the layman.. by putting currency on currency 🥱

You and two friends go to a restaurant. The bill is $30.00. Each of you pay $10.00. However, the owner turns out to be a mutual friend and refunds you $5.00. You give $2.00 to the waiter, and each get back $1.00.

The bill was $30.00. Each of you got a $1.00 back and $2.00 went to the waiter. So you paid a total of (10-1) x 3 = $27.00. Plus $2.00 to the waiter. $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00. Why is there a $1.00 missing?
There are two kinds of investors

The long term player and the short term punter.

Punting without cash to back up is sure suicide.
And using "borrowed" monies or getting credit or leveraging is another quicker death.😆

They say the rich become richer and poor become poorer.

Edited by Summer3 - 12 years ago