Mythological Masti

Mahabharat & Bhagvat Portrayal of Krishna (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 4

Page 1 Page 3
Page   of 4

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 28 June 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Darklord_Rehan

I personally don't think any of the human Avatars were blue as per original texts. As far as I know,

Vaman was pale yellow
Parashuram was wheatish
Ram was of golden or turmeric hue, much like Sati/Gauri
Krishna was dark-skinned, like Kali

The blue colour is an artistic representation as portraying dark in painting is difficult. In case of Ram, I think they want to distinguish Ram from Lakshman and depict him as Vishnu, so artists portray them as the same colour as of Vishnu ie Cloudy blue. Even Goddess Kali is mostly painted blue while she should be black. The only blue-hued Gods are Vishnu and Shiva. While the former has colour of Cloudy day sky, the latter has a colour of Moonlit night sky.

I think RS Ram (and for that matter all Rams) were convincing as per skin colour. Nitish Bharadwaj was dark skinned as well. So he was perfect as Krishna IMO. But SD Bannerjee was not only fair, but they added pink face powder and magenta lip-colour to made him look a complete mismatch.Tongue

Well, I haven't read all the religious texts out there so I can't comment on all of them, but the ones I did read describe Vishnu and his avatars as dark. Even Lord Vishnu was not blue, he was just dark, and yes, Ram and Krishna were also dark. I remember my mother mentioning once that Vaman avatar and Parashuram avatar were not dark but light-skinned, like you mentioned, but Ram and Krishna were dark, just not blue. It has become a common misconception of people to think Vishnu and his avatars are blue, because of famous paintings and also (mostly) because of the old mythological movies which showed Ram and Krishna in such vibrant blue that it looked  as if they were drenched in paint (they probably were).LOL

Anyhow, we never really know how the Gods looked since all these stories took place so long ago, so like I mentioned before, color really doesn't matter to me. I don't flinch when I see a fair Ram or Krishna, as long as their characterization is spot on and the story is accurate...but like you said, SK's older Krishna did look a bit too fair. But it's not really SDB's fault, because I saw him in other movies and his natural skin color is normal looking...the SK makeup artists powdered him way too much so that he looked even lighter than some Americans.Stern Smile They did not do that to any of the other Krishnas in the earlier phases (Ashok Balakrishnan in particular looked appropriately dark), so I don't know why they did it to SDB.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Rehanismcityoflights

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Mahabharat & Bhagvat Portrayal of Krishna (Page 4)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 28 June 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Darklord_Rehan

How's this Krishna?Embarrassed

Which show is this?

And Krishna's skin color looks alright, but what's with the hair?LOL

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 28 June 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged
^^ That's from Xena : Warrior Princess.

Vishnu is mainly of the colour of clouds - Meghavarnam Shuvangam - a mix of grey and blue.
This one can be called almost a perfect representation of Vishnu's colour

Edited by Darklord_Rehan - 28 June 2011 at 3:46pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 28 June 2011 at 10:27pm | IP Logged
Gabrielle Reece looked like this? Shocked

Edited by _Vrish_ - 28 June 2011 at 10:31pm

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.