Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LeadNitrate thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
 i think with concept and choreography, execution also matters a lot. U need to lose yourself into the dance and emotional, if u can feel it deeply, u can mak others feel it and see it too
like for example. the tu jane na  performed by amrita, didn't really have any special concept, except the pains of her mind , but the  nice choreography and the heartfelt emotional execution rocked

punit's performance, idea was superb, choreography was also creative, who would have thought that, but the execution failed, not coz punit wasnt right on technique and wasnt dancing really well, but coz couldn't really connect with it emotionally. but his nahin samne tu, that was a beautiful act and could connect with it, althuogh the choreography was relatively simple barring the mere haath main tere haath part

nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Dance, or any performance for that matter, gets elevated to another level altogether, if it manages to involve the audience in it. A powerful concept therefore comes in handy.

Personally, I like those dances more where there is some sort of concept, thought or idea- plain dancing impresses but a few days later, you cannot remember the steps- however having an interesting concept in the dance gives it a completely different edge- even a layman who does not know the technicalities of dance enjoys such a performance more, I feel.

But concept is not just all- the choreography must be according to the concept and innovative- else the wow factor is just not present. Many a times, people end up choosing very very good concepts but fail to express it using dance properly- sometimes there's too much of dramatics leaving little time for dancing, which again become a big drawback. Sometimes a particular concept can also limit the choreography (like if you are playing old, or blind, and so on) - in that case also it becomes a drawback.

All in all, yes, concept gives the dance an edge, but if it isn't expressed properly, then it actually ends up messing up the whole act- then it feels it would have been better to do plain dancing. So its important to not just think up a good concept but also to think up a FEASIBLE concept which CAN be expressed with sufficient dance and dramatics, and is suited to the dance form and does not limit you. No use taking up one, which is so unique and so difficult that uspe dance hi na ho paye... like concept of siamese twins which I saw in one reality show.
Edited by nikitagmc - 12 years ago
shootingstar27 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: nikitagmc

Dance, or any performance for that matter, gets elevated to another level altogether, if it manages to involve the audience in it. A powerful concept therefore comes in handy.

Personally, I like those dances more where there is some sort of concept, thought or idea- plain dancing impresses but a few days later, you cannot remember the steps- however having an interesting concept in the dance gives it a completely different edge- even a layman who does not know the technicalities of dance enjoys such a performance more, I feel.

But concept is not just all- the choreography must be according to the concept and innovative- else the wow factor is just not present. Many a times, people end up choosing very very good concepts but fail to express it using dance properly- sometimes there's too much of dramatics leaving little time for dancing, which again become a big drawback. Sometimes a particular concept can also limit the choreography (like if you are playing old, or blind, and so on) - in that case also it becomes a drawback.

All in all, yes, concept gives the dance an edge, but if it isn't expressed properly, then it actually ends up messing up the whole act- then it feels it would have been better to do plain dancing. So its important to not just think up a good concept but also to think up a FEASIBLE concept which CAN be expressed with sufficient dance and dramatics, and is suited to the dance form and does not limit you. No use taking up one, which is so unique and so difficult that uspe dance hi na ho paye... like concept of siamese twins which I saw in one reality show.

Well said Niki.
Nice to see you here 😛