Making it BIG : Rohit's interview

nb.neha thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Making it BIG : Rohit's interview  # Pioneer Newspaper, New Delhi

Telly stars are moving ahead — not just by doing more shows and becoming more popular, but by entering the world of films. With famous names like Prachi Desai and Rajeev Khandelwal coming out of small screen, Bollywood is increasingly seeing TV actors. Neha Verma tells you more about this trend

After a successful stint with playing Vansh on Uttaran, actor Rohit Khurana has his hands full with work — not just from the small screen but also silver screen. Making his Bollywood debut with the recently released Men Will Be Men, a Red Chillies Production, directed by debutant Gorky, Khurana has no wishes of looking back now. "No doubt television has a better and bigger reach but every actor has a dream to be seen on the big screen and so was mine. I had my time of struggle and I am glad that I made it to Bollywood so fast," a cheerful Khurana tells you.

Bollywood has always fascinated TV stars. No matter how much they are appreciated or loved on the telly, their craze for the 70mm doesn't go away. Prachi Desai, Ram Kapoor, Rajeev Khandelwal, Harsh Chhaya and Ronit Roy are among those who polished themselves on TV and then shined on the big screen.

Rohit is just three soaps old and became a household name instantly. "I came to Mumbai with a dream to become a Bollywood actor but after coming here I realised that things are not all rosy. There was a long queue of people looking for work. I then started working for TV. In this industry you should always be ready to take up whatever little good work you get. Missing one good opportunity can be the biggest mistake. I got to do the character of Vansh and it gave me an identity. It would have been risky to loose that chance. Television made me what I am today," he adds.

Before Rohit, Ragini Khanna, one of the aaj ke zamaane ki bahu, Suhana of Sasural Genda Phool, made a debut with Teen Thay Bhai, a big banner film. "I got a fantastic opening and I am being praised for my work in the film. The most important factor is good acting but we TV actors get an upper hand over freshers as far as casting is concerned. We have our TV experience to show and people know us because of our work," she says.

These may be a few lucky ones from TV to get lead roles in films, but there are many who are typecasted and get to do sidekick roles. "It happens to those who take up whatever they get. When I became popular on TV, I got many sidekick roles in films but I did not take any as I didn't want to just show my face and do nothing. So it's completely your take," Khurana tells you.

Rajeev Khandelwal, who made his debut with Aamir and received many accolades for his role, seconds Khurana: "Whatever I have done in my entire career has been my call. It's me who decide what script I will take and what work I will do. I am not one of those standing in the market to be picked up. It's entirely your wish what you want to do," he states.

Even after getting a break in Bollywood, telly stars are not ready to leave TV. "I am definitely not leaving television. I am an actor and what I desire is good work. It does not make a difference what medium it is," Ragini says.

Khandelwal has many films lined-up for release — Shaitan and Soundtrack to name a few. However, he also plans to stick to TV but do stuff that he likes. "I am doing Sach Ka Saamna season 2 simply because I love the concept of the show. I only do things which excite me. I got bored of daily soaps so I left them. I never said I will leave TV," he explains.

Ajay Singh Choudhary of the show Love Story made a debut with the film Let's Dance in 2009, which failed. Ghar Ek Mandir fame Ram Kapoor kept doing cameos in films but is also regularly doing TV shows. However, Prachi Desai, his co-star on the show Kasamh Se made it big in the film industry. Her last film Once Upon A Time In Mumbai was a hit. 

Ronit Roy, who started working in films years back, shone on TV and now has started his second innings in B-town, making a mark with Udaan. He is still doing the show Adaalat on Sony TV.

Successful or unsuccessful, all actors are of the idea that the line between television and films is a thin one. All that they want is a better medium to showcase their talent by doing good work. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nb.neha thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
RK u simply rocked in the movie. it was so much fun watching it. the one liners that u kept coming with were too good. loved u in the movie.