Why is saying your mind wrong?????

malinn thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Why is it wrong to present contrary views... Or say that this show has these flaws... Or that this character is portryed wrong etc etc...

I have seen on this forum... That anything said against the show or it's characters is shot down and that member asked to stop watching the show if you find it so terrible blah blah...

Such thinking goes against freedom of speech and democracy... It is tantamount to dictatorship... A forum is a place where people with common interest come to discuss and debate... While it becomes a place for friends to meet... That is not the primary focus of the forum...

Old has to give way to new... It's the way of the world and life itself... There will always be some old members leaving the forum and new ones joining each day... Putting down the new ones on the grounds that they are junior or new... Is wrong in my estimation...

Only taking all views into consideration... Can one develop a balanced view... Tolerance is a must in all parts of life and in each and everything we do including relationships...

I may be wrong... But I do believe that a forum is a collective made of each and every member ... Immaterial of the number of their posts or their views...

I don't know how many of you will agree with me... As I oft times feel that I am a pariah myself since all I present are contradictions and opposing views...

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Nafisa- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
malinn, I went through this phase about 2 weeks ago, I was so convinced that the older forum members (those that were here much earlier than me) were ganging up to criticise me unfairly when I raised an opposing view.

Tolerance should be both ways, we that joined later and those that joined earlier must give each other more leeway and when we disagree with a particular opinion express yourself in that moment and don't let the matter keep dragging on and on. 

Well done you for having the courage to bring this up openly, but we must all learn to be more tolerant and not fall into the trap of arguing for the sake of arguing, so lets all turn over a new leaf and just stick to the subject matter Saathiya...less hassles that way.
Edited by Nafisa_blossoms - 12 years ago
malinn thumbnail
Well said Nafisa... And yes, I do have this horrendous habit of arguing for the sake of arguing...

Guilty as charged... 😛

-Nafisa- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: malinn

Well said Nafisa... And yes, I do have this horrendous habit of arguing for the sake of arguing...

Guilty as charged... 😛

😆
ShellJA thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Sonal, 

I am all about apposing views and well represented points of view.  All sorts of views should be able to co-exist in a forum.  When those views are intelligent and well thought out they should make the other person go hmmm I never thought of it that way.  I really enjoy different perspectives of people coming different places and times.  There used to be this girl on the forum who is 14 or 15 years old I loved reading her posts because she is so smart and amazing.  She is growing up in a world that is so different than when I was that age. 

That being said speaking your mind doesn't mean it is acceptable to be rude, obnoxious or hostile.  Freedom of speech is not a pass for people to make up and say things that are hurtful.  I have seen that too.

As I said in another post don't read and reply to people you know will say things that you don't like or subject line is of no interests to you.   That is all about freedom of choice and still participating in a forum that brings together people of different spaces, sizes, views, and perspective!

Telly_Addict thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Sonal...

I am here at this forum from the Day 1 and have seen so many people coming and joining this forum , all of them have a different way  of thinking, different like and dislike and everyone is here to share their views but still it does not mean that one has to agree or disagree with those viewpoints.
If u are saying about freedom of speech then u must consider the Freedom of choice as u cant force anyone to be agree with ur views, and u cant say people are bias or partial as its upto them what they like and what they want to say or not abt one particular viewpoint.

Also if u are mentioning patience then it should be from both the sides, forum is place where people from all over the world of different culture-language-family background interacts with each other and create a bond between them which cant be possible in lack of patience. And if some one has to be a part of that family (even with a different and opposite POV just like in real family) they should first try to understand people as  an individual rather than trying to force their POV (u can see here we have Jake who is an ardent fan or i'll say bhakt of Rashi but still he is a part of the family when everyone else hates Rashi like anything...we never engrossed in any fight regarding it as we know he loves her and we he knows we hate her, we never tried to force each other to do what we like.)

So in short if one seeking freedom of Speech and Democracy then one should give others their Freedom of Choice too. If one wants others to have patience to accept new POVs then one should have patience to understand the old POVs. And if all these things are lacking then one will be considered as a New person always.

Hope I dint Offend you...as i dint want to...I  m just trying to clarify how a forum has a bond between members rather than just a place to share POVs
malinn thumbnail
Am in agreement with each word of yours Shelly...
malinn thumbnail
I rarely take offence Sadhli...

I like your points about freedom to choose and free will... We can't force anyone to like or agree with us...

I always get the feeling that you take this forum very seriously... And maybe sincerely too... And restraint too...

When you talk of forum members as friends and family and community... I know that these things have meaning... I respect that...

On the whole... It is a wonderful explanation... And reply...

Telly_Addict thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Originally posted by: malinn

I rarely take offence Sadhli...

I like your points about freedom to choose and free will... We can't force anyone to like or agree with us...

I always get the feeling that you take this forum very seriously... And maybe sincerely too... And restraint too...

When you talk of forum members as friends and family and community... I know that these things have meaning... I respect that...

On the whole... It is a wonderful explanation... And reply...

Thanks a lot Sonia for not taking offence...as its very difficult and needs maturity to understand what other person is saying...n m happy to have u on forum as a person who is  clear with her POVs but also knows to have a balanced attitude when people disagree with u...

@bold...u are right here...I take forum Seriously, Sincerely as this is like a Second for me...and abt restraining...I dont think I can control anyone on the forum from expressing their views as everyone here is an adult and I cant snatch their Freedom of Speech n Choice...its upto an individual what they want to post and to which post they want to reply...

@red...again thanx for understanding it also...as everyone of us here is not just for time pass...we have a strong bonding with each other...we feel happy when someone here gets something good in their life...we feel sad if someone has some problems in life and
also "Sharing pain will lessen it, while Sharing happiness will increase it" ...which is evident here...

@green...Thanks a lot for liking my reply...

malinn thumbnail
Sadhli 😊

There was a typo in my post about you... It was to be self restraining... So, what I meant was that while you yourself have your own pov's... I have seen that you refrain from writing on posts that would be tangent to your own opinions...

But... What you wrote ... In anycase was very appropriate... 😊 I don't know you... But I get a feeling you must be a sweet person...