::150th Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore:: - Page 2

Posted: 12 years ago
Thanks for sharing the history of rabindranath tagore...though have read about him in my school but not that much...superb post itz a gr8 tribute to him on his 150th birth anniversary
Originally posted by .sb.

Thank you so much for coming hereπŸ€—

@Sheemu di-Yes di...atleast in national boards like CBSE and ICSE,many stories written by him are included in the syllabus in English Literature!😊

Its a pleasure Shaunak babu. Tumi amake nimontron je diyechile, she jonno dhonnobad. You've done a grand job. Well done.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
I am really glad to know that his work is still being acknowledged and studied. He's one of the true immortal talents we had in this world and he should be remembered, studied and followed for his superior intellectual writing.

Beautiful Work :)
I'm Sahra and i have to share this :
So I live In Minnesota , USA
In my Golbal Lit. Class we spent two- fours  weeks on his shorts story and they were amazing . My fav. was My Boyhood Days . and we did his play  The Sacrifice.  He was an amazing writter
Thank you for coming and joining in..and thnks for making it a GA!
Dear Shounak

Thank you so much for making such a wonderful post... I am glad to see that you have worked so much to make thisπŸ‘πŸ‘
Spending all my life in Bengal, I have grown up reading his literature and singing his songs... He was an extra-ordinary man in all aspects... The way he moulded Bishwabharati University is truely commendable...
On his 150th Anniversary, I can only bow my head before him and salute this great maestro...

~jiya~ 

P.S. thank you mods for making this a GA😊
rabindranath tagore ji r moto mahan bekti ke jatayei shradhanjali deyoa hok seitai kom
pooro banglaye ei din ta utsovere moton manano hoye loke hoye to aaj bhule jacche onar kaaj kintu onar naam itihaasein amar thakbe

i really appreciate the thread creator good work dear ppl need to know his contribution in indian literaqture as well a indian history

beautiful and mesmerizing

subho janmadin gurudev

regards aishu

I visited Shantiniketan sum days ago!!!
It was gr88...!!
Thanxx for makin ds topic yaar...
Its gr888 to c this man lyk ds...!!!
I realy admire him

Article from guardian newspaper UK

Rabindranath Tagore was a global phenomenon, so why is he neglected?

Is his poetry any good? The answer for anyone who can't read Bengali must be: don't know. No translation is up to the job

• Ian Jack
  • Tagore
    Rabindranath Tagore became the embodiment of how the west wanted to see the east. Photograph: Hulton Archive

Rabindranath Tagore was born 150 years ago today. This weekend festivities and seminars are being held in his honour across the world. In London, the BFI is hosting a season of films inspired by his work; last night his fellow Bengali (and fellow Nobel laureate) Amartya Sen gave a talk at the British Museum; a two-day conference at the University of London will, among other things, examine his legacy in the Netherlands, Poland and Germany.

I consulted two dictionaries of quotations, the Oxford and Penguin, to check the most memorable lines of this poet, novelist, essayist, song and short story writer. Not a single entry. They skipped from Tacitus to Hippolyte Taine as if there was nothing in Tagore's collected works (28 thick books, even with his 2,500 songs published separately) that ever had stuck in anyone's mind, or was so pithily expressed that it deserved to; as if what had come out of Tagore's pen was a kind of oriental ectoplasm, floating high above our materialist western heads, and ungraspable. In fact, I could remember one line clearly enough, and vaguely remember a whole stanza. The first is how he described the Taj Mahal: like "a teardrop on the face of eternity". The second is the inscription Wilfred Owen's mother found in her dead son's pocketbook: "When I go from hence, let this be my parting word, that what I have seen is unsurpassable." But I owe this knowledge to (a) a tourist guide in Agra, and (b) to a biography. Reading Tagore himself had nothing to do with it.

True, writers can't be ranked merely by their quotability, but Tagore's neglect is extraordinary. No other language group reveres a writer as 250 million Bengali-speakers do Tagore. Shakespeare and Dickens don't come into the picture; the popularity of Burns in Scotland 100 years ago may be his nearest equivalent in Britain. Every Bengali will know some Tagore, even if they can't read or write and the words come from a popular song or the national anthem (those of both India and Bangladesh use his verse). The visitor to Bengal can easily find some comedy in the mass adoration. Years ago, trying to penetrate a layer of Kolkata bureaucracy, I spent hours listening to bureaucrats on the subject of Tagore – "his translations into English are like embroidery seen from the back," one said – while getting nowhere with the unrelated topic I was meant to be investigating. Then again, love of literature can slide into fetishism, and from there, obscenity. When Tagore died in 1941, the huge crowd around his funeral cortege plucked hairs from his head. At the cremation pyre, mourners burst through the cordon before the body had been completely consumed by fire, searching for bones and keepsakes.

It's hard to think of any other writer anywhere who has aroused this level of fervour, but Tagore might still be seen as a purely local phenomenon, a curiosity and irrelevance to the world beyond Bengal. Except that he wasn't. In 1913 he won the Nobel prize for literature, the first non-European to win a Nobel. The story is well known. In 1912 he sailed from India to England with a collection of English translations – the 100 or so poems that became the anthology Gitanjali, or "song offerings". He lost the manuscript on the London tube. Famously, it was found in a left luggage office. Then – decisively – WB Yeats met Tagore, read his poems and became his passionate advocate (while pencilling in suggestions for improvements).

Events moved at breathtaking speed. Tagore had arrived in London in June, he had his anthology published by Macmillan with an introduction by Yeats in the following March, and on 13 November 1913 he was awarded the Nobel. Before he left Kolkata he knew one person in London, the painter William Rothenstein. Two years later he was a global phenomenon. The notion that literary prizes secure reputations and sell books is modern publishing wisdom, but nothing compares with what the Nobel did for Tagore a century ago. Gitanjali found a vast audience in its many editions. In the tremulous months before the first world war, as well as during the war, its spiritual message and reverence for the natural world struck a chord. It contains the lines Owen wrote in his pocketbook, and soon had translations in many other languages, including French, by Andr Gide, and Russian, by Boris Pasternak.

The success turned everyone's heads, including Tagore's. He became the most prominent embodiment of how the west wanted to see the east – sagelike, mystical, descending from some less developed but perhaps more innocent civilisation; above all, exotic. He looked the part, with his white robes and flowing beard and hair, and sometimes overplayed it. Of course, the truth was more complicated. The Tagores were among Kolkata's most influential families. They'd prospered in their role as middle men to the East India Company, whose servants named them Tagore because it was more easily pronounced than the Bengali title, Thakur. The west wasn't strange to them. Rabindranath's grandfather, Dwarkanath, owned steam tug companies and coal mines, became a favourite of Queen Victoria's and died in England (his tombstone is in Kensal Green cemetery). As for the poet himself, this was his third visit to London. On his first, he'd heard the music hall songs and folk tunes that he later incorporated into his distinctive musical genre, rabindra sangeet.

More than anything, what Tagore stood for was a synthesis of east and west. He admired the European intellect and felt betrayed when Britain's conduct in India let down the ideal. His western enthusiasts, however, saw what they wanted to see. First, he was an exotic fashion and then he was not. "Damn Tagore," wrote Yeats in 1935, blaming the "sentimental rubbish" of his later books for ruining his reputation. "An Indian has written to ask what I think of Rabindrum [sic] Tagore," wrote Philip Larkin to his friend Robert Conquest in 1956. "Feel like sending him a telegram: 'f**k all. Larkin.'"

Is his poetry any good? The answer for anyone who can't read Bengali must be: don't know. No translation (according to Bengalis) lives up to the job, and at their worst, they can read like In Memoriam notices: "Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark" is among the better lines. Translator William Radice thinks that Tagore's willingness to tackle the big questions, heart on sleeve, has made him vulnerable to "philistinism or contempt". That may be so – see Larkin – but perhaps the time has come for us to forget Tagore was ever a poet, and think of his more intelligible achievements. These are many. He was a fine essayist; an educationist who founded a university; an opponent of the terrorism that then plagued Bengal; a secularist amid religious divisions; an agricultural improver and ecologist; a critical nationalist. In his fiction, he showed an understanding of women – their discontents and dilemmas in a patriarchal society – that was ahead of its time. On his 150th anniversary, we shouldn't resist two cheers, at least.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/07/rabindranath-tagore-why-was-he-neglected

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Economic times...

A tribute to Rabindranath Tagore: Nation to celebrate his 150th birth anniversary

May 6, 2011, 01.15am IST
"Creation is not repetition, or correspondence in every particular between the object and its artistic presentation. The world of reality is all around us. When I look at this phenomenon with my artist's eye, things are revealed in a different light which I try and recapture in my picture - call them realistic or not. There is a world of dreams and fantasies which exists only in a man's imagination. If I can but depict this in my pictures I can beat the Creator at His own game."

-- Rabindranath Tagore

In 1916 he was known as The King of the Dark Chamber, in a Macmillan hardcover that had a frontispiece portrait by famed friend William Rothenstein. Now nearly a century away on 8 May at the NGMA in Delhi, when the nation will celebrates Tagore's 150 birth centenary, curator Ela Dutt dips into the NGMA collection and comes up with a tribute to Tagore. Art lovers can rejoice, for here are the three Tagores - Rabindranath, Abanindranath and Gagendranath. The world that Rabindranath revealed in his works was one of self-reflexive evolution, where the images themselves were in the process of taking shape, as was his art. Gagendranath's works brim with romance and Abanindranath's pice de rsistance is Meeting at the Staircase.

Rabindranath Tagore's paintings were displayed publicly for the first time in Paris in 1930, followed by an exhibition in Calcutta in 1931. At about the same time he began to create portraits. By about 1932 Tagore became interested in self-portraits and it is believed that a number of works in this suite date from about this period. As with many of his other self-portraits, the Study in Face has a prophet-like serenity mixed with a sense of inner anguish.

"People often ask me about the meaning of my pictures. I remain silent even as my pictures are. It is for them to express and not to explain," Rabindranath Tagore said once. His early paintings were rendered in monochromatic schemes, followed by two-toned and three-toned drawings. Other than a pen the artist used his fingers, bits of cotton wool and rag to daub, smudge and rub the inks to create color tones of great depth and intensity. In many of his head studies as well as the Dancing Lady studies, there is an underlying sense of mysticism that has a mesmeric appeal.

Rabindranath's heads and figures executed in a variety of styles have elicited the most interest. Restrained yet restless, suggestive, bizarre and haunting, these portraits are considered to be among his most memorable works. "The pensive ovoid face of a woman with large unwavering, soulful eyes was perhaps his most obsessive theme. Exhibited first in 1930, endless variations of the same mood-image continued to emerge throughout. The earlier ones were delicately modelled and opalescent, while the later examples were excessively dramatic with intensely lit forehead, exaggerated nose-ridge, painted in strong colours, bodied forth from a primal gloom." (Robinson, The Art of Rabindranath Tagore, Calcutta, 1989)

There are a number of images that recall the linguistic ardour of Rabindranath. Interestingly, the poet and playwright began painting late in life as he was nearing 70. In a letter from 1928 to Rani Mahalanobis he says: "The most important item in the bulletin of my daily news, is my painting. I am hopelessly entangled in the spell that the lines have cast all around me... I have almost managed to forget that there used to be a time when I wrote poetry.

The subject matter of a poem can be traced back to some dim thought in the mind...while painting, the process adopted by me is quite the reverse. First, there is the hint of a line, then the line becomes a form...this creation of form is an endless wonder. If I were a finished artist, I probably would have followed a preconceived idea in making a picture...but it is far more exciting when the mind is seized by something outside of it, some compulsive surprise element gradually assuming an understandable form."

At the NGMA, this cachet of charismatic works will evince both interest and intrigue. Heads and landscapes abound in this collection. It is a flashback to the yesteryears, when the pace of life flowed like a river. There are a few landscapes, which seem a direct translation of the breathtaking Calcutta sunset. Rabindranath's words are emblematic. "I believe that the vision of paradise is to be seen in the sunlight and the green of the earth, in the beauty of the human face and the wealth of human life, even in objects that are seemingly insignificant and unprepossessing."

This curation by Ela Dutt signifies the moot point of the act of creation. It also leaves something to savour in the common thread that runs through it. In more ways than one it configures Anand Coomaraswamy's intention: "The artist, like a child, invents his own techniques as he goes along; nothing has been allowed to interfere with zest. The means are always adequate to the end in view: this end is not 'Art' with a capital A, on the one hand - nor, on the other, a merely pathological self-expression; not art intended to improve our minds, nor to provide for the artist himself an 'escape'; but without ulterior motives, truly innocent, like the creation of a universe."

What intrigues even more is the fact that Rabindranath had once written an article entitled 'My Pictures' in which he wrote: "The Universe ... talks in the voice of pictures and dance...In a picture the artist creates the language of undoubted reality, and we are satisfied that we see. It may not be the representation of a beautiful woman but that of a commonplace donkey or of something that has no external credential of truth in nature but only in its own inner artistic significance."

The paper works are a sight to behold. Rabindranath is known to have scribbled lines of poetry on the reverse of a paper work too. Last year at Sotheby's a work had the inscription which read: "I saw in front of me the vast field/of work extending to the horizon,/therein lies my great freedom./In the evening I came and sat on/my balcony, The cage has been/broken. The split chain still clings/onto the bird's leg. Movement will/make it jingle."

This show echoes the vitality of freedom, the mood of inspiration and the idea of artistic control being equal and complimentary in the measures of artistic ferment. It also reaffirms the truth that the role of a museum is not merely to collect and stock art like stacks, but to encourage, and develop the study of the fine arts, so as to nurture the application of arts to practical life, to advance the general knowledge of kindred subjects, to furnish popular and intellectual instruction in the service of society. You could walk around this elegant Circle of Three Tagores and mull over the poet Laureate's words: "The night is black/ Kindle the lamp of love/ With thy life and devotion."

@red-Did the nation REALLY celebrate??or atleast remembered him?? :@
^^ Ur talking about celebration in a country where his NOBEL PRIZE got stolen... !! What can be more shameful than that?? πŸ˜’ Does our Government actually care?? Edited by Armu4eva - 12 years ago
^^ exactly my point... in the first place, a nobel prize, that is a honour in itself for the entire nation, got stolen... and its been so long after dis shameful act... but our government seems not even interested... its really dishearteningπŸ˜’