Some Rowling quotes (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 21 May 2011 at 11:24am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Some Rowling quotes (Page 2)" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 12:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Originally posted by Ninotchka

Nice thread, will add more quotes as and when I can. I see her documentary, her Harvard speech...well, all her interviews over and over again, it's just great hearing her talk and listening to her, she's so wise and inspirational... Esp. love her thoughts on the nature of love, importance of family, courage/fear, bigotry and failure.

So far, I've seen "A year in her life", "Biography from A&E" her interview at Oprah's show, and her Harvard speech. Anything else you would recommend?

Those are actually her best ones. There are a few more that I like - Her interview with Steve Kloves, another one with her and Stephen Fry, then there's a few appearances of hers on the Blue Peter Show, Today show, Jonathan Ross show and on Richard and Judy. I would suggest all of these, cuz most of the time she ends up saying stuff that catches my interest. They're all on YT I think...
Also, There are a couple of interviews she did with the Leaky Cauldron which tend to be very very informative...but you'll have search a bit for that. She did a wonderful two part podcast with them... I remember going berserk while hearing those...LOL
This is another great site for finding everything she's ever said from everywhere :-
http://www.accio-quote.org/characters.html

On an aside, she doesn't speak a lot while receiving this award along side David Heyman, but regardless, I find her reaction to the award really sweet and genuine -

Edited by Ninotchka - 22 May 2011 at 1:12am

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 1:09am | IP Logged
From her site:

For Girls Only, Probably...

Being thin. Probably not a subject that you ever expected to read about on this website, but my recent trip to London got me thinking...

It started in the car on the way to Leavesden film studios. I whiled away part of the journey reading a magazine that featured several glossy photographs of a very young woman who is either seriously ill or suffering from an eating disorder (which is, of course, the same thing); anyway, there is no other explanation for the shape of her body. She can talk about eating absolutely loads, being terribly busy and having the world's fastest metabolism until her tongue drops off (hooray! Another couple of ounces gone!), but her concave stomach, protruding ribs and stick-like arms tell a different story. This girl needs help, but, the world being what it is, they're sticking her on magazine covers instead. All this passed through my mind as I read the interview, then I threw the horrible thing aside.

But blow me down if the subject of girls and thinness didn't crop up shortly after I got out of the car. I was talking to one of the actors and, somehow or other, we got onto the subject of a girl he knows (not any of the Potter actresses somebody from his life beyond the films) who had been dubbed 'fat' by certain charming classmates. (Could they possibly be jealous that she knows the boy in question? Surely not!)

'But,' said the actor, in honest perplexity, 'she is really not fat.'

'"Fat" is usually the first insult a girl throws at another girl when she wants to hurt her,' I said; I could remember it happening when I was at school, and witnessing it among the teenagers I used to teach. Nevertheless, I could see that to him, a well-adjusted male, it was utterly bizarre behaviour, like yelling 'thicko!' at Stephen Hawking.

His bemusement at this everyday feature of female existence reminded me how strange and sick the 'fat' insult is. I mean, is 'fat' really the worst thing a human being can be? Is 'fat' worse than 'vindictive', 'jealous', 'shallow', 'vain', 'boring' or 'cruel'? Not to me; but then, you might retort, what do I know about the pressure to be skinny? I'm not in the business of being judged on my looks, what with being a writer and earning my living by using my brain...

I went to the British Book Awards that evening. After the award ceremony I bumped into a woman I hadn't seen for nearly three years. The first thing she said to me? 'You've lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw you!'

'Well,' I said, slightly nonplussed, 'the last time you saw me I'd just had a baby.'

What I felt like saying was, 'I've produced my third child and my sixth novel since I last saw you. Aren't either of those things more important, more interesting, than my size?' But no my waist looked smaller! Forget the kid and the book: finally, something to celebrate!

So the issue of size and women was (ha, ha) weighing on my mind as I flew home to Edinburgh the next day. Once up in the air, I opened a newspaper and my eyes fell, immediately, on an article about the pop star Pink.

Her latest single, 'Stupid Girls', is the antidote-anthem for everything I had been thinking about women and thinness. 'Stupid Girls' satirises the talking toothpicks held up to girls as role models: those celebrities whose greatest achievement is un-chipped nail polish, whose only aspiration seems to be getting photographed in a different outfit nine times a day, whose only function in the world appears to be supporting the trade in overpriced handbags and rat-sized dogs.

Maybe all this seems funny, or trivial, but it's really not. It's about what girls want to be, what they're told they should be, and how they feel about who they are. I've got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don't want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny a thousand things, before 'thin'. And frankly, I'd rather they didn't give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do. Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons. Let them never be Stupid Girls. Rant over.

From the TLC/Mugglenet interview:

MA: What does it do to you to see a character that you love, for people to express sheer hate -

ES: Or vice versa.

JKR: It amuses me. It honestly amuses me. People have been waxing lyrical [in letters] about Draco Malfoy, and I think that's the only time when it stopped amusing me and started almost worrying me. I'm trying to clearly distinguish between Tom Felton, who is a good looking young boy, and Draco, who, whatever he looks like, is not a nice man. It's a romantic, but unhealthy, and unfortunately all too common delusion of delusion, there you go of girls, and you [nods to Melissa] will know this, that they are going to change someone. And that persists through many women's lives, till their death bed, and it is uncomfortable and unhealthy and it actually worried me a little bit, to see young girls swearing undying devotion to this really imperfect character, because there must be an element in there, that "I'd be the one who [changes him]." I mean, I understand the psychology of it, but it is pretty unhealthy. So, a couple of times I have written back, possibly quite sharply, saying [Laughter], "You want to rethink your priorities here."

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

RainbowWarrior

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:32pm | IP Logged
Rowling on the CAPSLOCK! Harry from the MN/TLC interview

"The laughter he was absolutely unhinged by James's death. Harry and Sirius were very similar in the way that both of them were craving family connections with friends. So, Sirius with James wanted a brother, and Harry has nominated Ron and Hermione as his family. This is the thing I found interesting ' it might have been on MuggleNet's comments, this is a while back when I was actually looking for fan sites of the month (or whatever arbitrary time period I do) ' it was around the time I was reading comments for the first time and there was something in there where kids were saying, "I don't understand why he's shouting at Ron and Hermione, I mean, I'd shout at my parents, I would never shout at my best friends." But, he has no one else to shout at. That was interesting from young kids, because I just don't think they could make that leap of imagination. He's very alone. Anyway I've wandered miles away from Sirius..."

Wow. I find this so interesting...So Ron and Hermione become his parents in that sense...LOL I would say yes, cuz not many can tolerate CAPSLOCK! Harry except for his loyal friends. :)

Edited by Ninotchka - 28 May 2011 at 1:27am

RainbowWarrior

Ann_92

IF-Dazzler

Ann_92

Posted: 11 June 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged
wow she  s deffo one of a kind
thnkx for posting

luved her answers

Dilsha

IF-Rockerz

Dilsha

Posted: 15 June 2011 at 3:06pm | IP Logged
i loved the ones about teabags and people trying to do the spells in real life.she is got a great sense of humor which u can see through her characters fred and george.even some of the serious situations r turned into laughter.i remember reading deathly hallows and how some remarks wud make me laugh a lot.i mean its supposed to be very scary  with war and killings going on but it was funny too.she is just amazing.

ElusiveDevotion

harianjana

IF-Rockerz

harianjana

Posted: 22 June 2011 at 2:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

OMG! This just cracked me up.ROFL Come to think of it though, I wouldn't mind.Wink

"People ask me if there are going to be stories of Harry Potter as an adult. Frankly, if I wanted to, I could keep writing stories until Harry is a senior citizen, but I don't know how many people would actually want to read about a 65 year old Harry still at Hogwarts playing bingo with Ron and Hermione."

i wouldn't mind it either as long as u write abt hp

Post Reply New Post

Go to top