Harry Potter

The Tale of Three Brothers: My analysis

Posted: 12 years ago

This post led me to create this post: http://www.potterforums.com/about46392.html

And I thought it was worth sharing this with you people:

It shows that if there is one way of conquering death, then it is by facing and accepting it. The first brother wanted to beat death by having an almost 'unbeatable' wand - but he died nonetheless. Even the most powerful wand did him no good as someone else got to it first and used it against him. The second brother wanted to master death by bringing them back into this world - but that was no good either. Like repeatedly implied, the dead belongs to the dead and living belongs to the living. The third brother, however, chose to accept death when the time came - and like the first two brothers, he too dies, but unlike them, his death was natural and not as gruesome as theirs. All the characters in the tale can be seen as symbolic. Death (the hooded figure in the tale) represents death (the natural phenomenon that every living thing goes through), while the three brothers represented ordinary people like us. The first brother was those of us who chase materialistic things in life while ignoring death as far as possible - as though it doesn't exist - possibly because we are afraid of facing the harsh reality that sooner or later, all of us have to die. The second brother represents those of us who gets obsessed with the loved ones who died - and do everything to bring them back. The third brother represents those of us who knows that death is a natural phenomenon and can accept to face it when the time comes. In other words, the third brother is those of us who can adhere to one of Dumbledore's most famous quotes: "To the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure".

I think the tale also foreshadows what is yet to come. The first brother represents Voldemort who lusts power and materialistic things above all and would do anything to avoid facing death. Voldemort even go chasing after the Elder wand like the first brother. The second brother represents Snape who had always been obsessed with Lily, even at his death when he wishes to look at Harry's eyes - the eyes that so reminds him of Lily's. Harry represents the third brother - it takes him a long while to understand what Dumbledore had always said, but he does by the end of Deathly Hallows when he goes to surrender himself to Death willingly. He also uses the invisibility cloak many a times (including the time he walks through the castle to go into the Forest to surrender himself to Voldemort). Both Voldemrot and Snape dies, but Harry survives. In the time to come, he would too ' but he probably would never have to fear it like Voldemort had always done. Indeed, Dumbledore said: "[Y]our failure to understand that there are things much worse than death has always been your greatest weakness'" to Voldemort.

Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

safeplacetoland thumbnail

SO FREAKING CLEVER!
annihilation thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
@Original idea of this post - OMG! That was a VERY CLEVER idea.

@TM - Brilliant explanation.I have seen some your posts and I must say you make great posts, but you do you always kinda forget them after making? There are people who would like to reply to such good posts and would like a response from you.
safeplacetoland thumbnail
^^I don't think he has forgotten. 😆 He has liked my post, and it wasn't too long away that I posted it. 😆
annihilation thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Untamed-

^^I don't think he has forgotten. 😆 He has liked my post, and it wasn't too long away that I posted it. 😆

Hey, I'm not talking about this post.
There's one he made about some plot holes in chamber of secrets.
I replied there to his questions, but never got a reply back.

That's why I asked him here.😆
Originally posted by: herms_angel

@Original idea of this post - OMG! That was a VERY CLEVER idea.

@TM - Brilliant explanation.I have seen some your posts and I must say you make great posts, but you do you always kinda forget them after making? There are people who would like to reply to such good posts and would like a response from you.

Your mean the 'CoS plot holes' topic? Okay, I did see your response and thought of replying back later, and then forgot about it totally. Okay I will dig that topic out today if possible and reply to it.
annihilation thumbnail
Originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

Your mean the 'CoS plot holes' topic? Okay, I did see your response and thought of replying back later, and then forgot about it totally. Okay I will dig that topic out today if possible and reply to it.

That's okay.
You can take your time.