Kareena Kareena

Why I love Kareena

tazu Groupbie
tazu
tazu

Posted: 19 February 2005 at 9:41pm | IP Logged
Why I love Kareena

By Dinesh Kumar

The trouble with Indian television serial makers is that they may start a very good programme but then they don't know when to end it. Even before "Kareena Kareena" started on Zee, the long running "Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin" had lost much of its sheen, the PR blitz notwithstanding. The bespectacled Jassi and her endless musings about her Armaan Sir and his fiance's tirades against her, were becoming tedious by the day, to say the least. Even Nandu could not lift the sagging storyline and the improbable act of buying a Mercedes for Jassi was simply stupid. That one act made us lose sympathy for Jassi. I really wonder how many of us are really interested in Jassi's transformation anymore, no matter what may be kicked up in the media by the serial's PR managers.

Kareena Kareena, on the other hand, turned out to be fast paced, humorous, natural and lovable. One almost falls in love with the dimpled Kareena as she goes about making up stories. Radio Curry is natural and so is the easy going Motwani and his mother. Yet, the serial does not dwell too much on just one aspect: there is romance, the strict boss and Chamatkar all blend in. The story moves quickly and is not stuck in a time warp like other serials. The actress playing Kareena is a dear; she looks natural in jeans and her sarees are impeccable. She makes the improbable story seem quite true, even though we know it is make believe.

Another thing that makes Kareena so lovable are her mannerisms. The small shrug of her shoulders, the tilt in her face, the occasional wink. The papers tell me she is from Chandigarh, so there is all the more reason for me to connect with her, sort of. Frankly, I see some of her mannerisms distinctly belonging to our city (the imperceptible flick of her hair, the naughty smile) and I can't help falling in love with her. I just hope she doesn't go the way of other models – glamour shoots, silly appearances in ads and the like. I mean, I would hate to see her pictures splashed in newspapers jutting her breasts out or lolling her tongue "sensuously" on her over-lipsticked lips, like so many other actresses. And, I would hate her buy a Mercedes, even for make believe.

Nor would I like to see the Motwani of Radio Curry appear in ads telling us that we should pay our income taxes.

I don't know where the serial goes from here, and what happens to Kareena later. But I do hope that the serial makers know when to shut it down and not keep milking it like the producers of Jassi. We have loved Jassi but today she looks faded out. It would be a pity of that happens to Kareena too.

Comment

anonmember IF-Sizzlerz
anonmember
anonmember

Posted: 20 February 2005 at 8:17pm | IP Logged

Kareena Kareena, on the other hand, turned out to be fast paced, humorous, natural and lovable. One almost falls in love with the dimpled Kareena as she goes about making up stories. Radio Curry is natural and so is the easy going Motwani and his mother. Yet, the serial does not dwell too much on just one aspect: there is romance, the strict boss and Chamatkar all blend in. The story moves quickly and is not stuck in a time warp like other serials. The actress playing Kareena is a dear; she looks natural in jeans and her sarees are impeccable. She makes the improbable story seem quite true, even though we know it is make believe.

Thanks for the article. The author could not have been more right. The show has good doses of everything- romance, comedy, drama, tension etc. The show reminds me of JJKN in the beginning...JJKN also had the same witty comedy and situations. Just like JJKN, the supporting characters have made the show even better- PK and Tribuvan are a riot- PK was so funny in his King of Paan stint. Kulraj is hilarious in her double role and Kareena seems like a real-everyday person stuck in a bad situation

~LiL*PrInCeZ~ IF-Sizzlerz
~LiL*PrInCeZ~
~LiL*PrInCeZ~

--

Posted: 21 February 2005 at 10:17am | IP Logged
thanx 4 da article......................i so totally agree
sumit.savla Goldie
sumit.savla
sumit.savla

Posted: 26 February 2005 at 10:27am | IP Logged
According to me this show deserves more credit

But it is not promoted rightly by zee

I m from Mumbai,India.

When star & sony launches the serials they promote heavily,here in Mumbai they have posted so many posters & so many ads on TV

But zee has done nothin

Here in Mumbai if i ask my friend abt this show only 2 out of 10 will actually know abt this show & timings....

they will not b watchin jassi & other serial regularly then also they atleast know timing of jassi

so promotion matters

take other example :
Sony promotes "indian Idol" on sony max,AXN & all his channels

wher as ZEE not even promoting @ zee-cinema

so THINK ABT IT ..... & POST yr COMMENTS
kdmh Senior Member
kdmh
kdmh

Posted: 27 February 2005 at 3:37pm | IP Logged
I so agree with you. I was so excited about Jassi when it first premiered, but now its just a drag. I still watch it every day and I'm still interested with her makeover. I love Kareena's character. The people who've created know thier K.I.S.S. rule. (Keep it simple stupid)

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top