Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: night13

The two points which I failed to make you understand..
-- There is a difference between
infidelities vs man or woman of the opposite sex
-- The much needed closure in Geet's character is now another open end question.

The NYT stated with story of Geet and I assume you will end with her character getting the justice, closure which is needed.

ps..
archaic meaning classic.. man & women!:)

Not only do I agree and understand the difference between Dev's infidelity with a man vs infidelity with a woman, I'm actually saying there is a difference when the infidelity starts as well.
Its not like Dev attempted to have a married life with her and then went for a partner of the opposite sex. So how is her inadequacy being questioned? But yes her ability to trust people is tainted forever.

For the second point, I don't have the advantage of a novel, where you could have just turned to the next page and gotten to the next part. And heard the next part of the story if Geet's sense of closure is achieved or not. Your closure as a reader, will only from the sense of peace that Geet will get towards the end of the story. And we are not there yet...are we? I'm not leaving the story here with Part 93 Aarya. So how do you claim there is an open ending here?

Geet will get her sense of justice...HER sense of justice...
If Geet had a deep attachment with her mother and lets assume her mother dies, Can I give her a closure for those unresolved emotions on her part by the end of the story?

Well I have to get some office work done too. Tata...I will be back tonight as I have classes in the evening.
Edited by 6thElement - 12 years ago
Antares thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Interesting updates they were...the last update was wonderful!

OMG, Dev's a gay! He's a jerk for making Geet go through all that and that poor girl was blaming herself for their failed relationship all this while. He totally deserved the punches! I'm so glad Geet got out of her wedlock and found Maan. At least now she will be at peace and won't feel guilty.

I am liking how they are all coming close - Rishabh, Naini, Maan and Geet. Seems, Dadi's dream of seeing a close-knit and happy family isn't farfetched.

After the revelation and Geet getting her closure, life is indeed better for Maan and Geet and also it brought Rishabh and Naini closer. It was a nice move on your part to get Dev back and close his chapter once and for all. Can't wait for the next parts. Do continue soon.
--Kesh-- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Sorry mate... I am terrible when it comes to giving that extra minute to post in a comment... and believe me its my behavioural downside that I am hoping to improve on... 

Today your comments prompted me to comment and I will give my utmost to keep up with this... As for your fic.. love it. So please keep updating. 
--Kesh-- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Ahh.. so Dev is gay... I feel for him cos I know how difficult it still is in our cultures to reveal such things... of course that does not mean he did not deserve a few punches... ๐Ÿ˜‰
anu0426 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Hi,

Im new to IF...i jus came across this ff..
and god...i liked ur language...pls add me to ur pm list.

Anupama
anu0426 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Hi,

u r a born writter...
awesome hold on language...
i think i posted but its not reflecting..
pls add me to ur pm list..
waiting for ur next update..

Anupama

Originally posted by: night13

The two points which I failed to make you understand..
-- There is a difference between
infidelities vs man or woman of the opposite sex
-- The much needed closure in Geet's character is now another open end question.

The NYT started with story of Geet and I assume you will end with her character getting the justice, closure which is needed.

ps..
archaic meaning classic.. man & women!:)

I think some of this debate is resting on different foundations.  H, you seem to be coming from the perspective that a person's sexual orientation is not a choice, but a reality.  Whereas, night seems to be of the track that a person can be 'turned' or 'reversed' from their sexual orientation.  I think such debate will likely have little meeting ground. 

As for Dev being gay, how does that keep Geet from achieving or not achieving closure to her character?  She has shown resilience before and in this too, she will persevere in her own way... These are not easy issues for anyone and there is no easy way to come out of it either... additionally, I think the concept of 'closure' of a character is somewhat of an oversimplification.  

On another point, people of different sexual orientations face similar social stigma whether they are in India or Toronto; only the degree is different.  Furthermore, such issues are also dependent on an individual's psyche rather than simply the group norms.

-Devi

-pixie- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
I agree, Devi! Since I havent lived in the west- I am making an assumption here based on what ever I read in the media...but I felt a person is more liable to use marriage as a decoy in India than in the west. Especially since I did not register the part that Dev was living with family and that there may have been pressure on him to fit in.

It is definitely a person's own choice whether they want to stay in the closet and fit in or they want to embrace who they are. Just that my reading of two very different societies- led me to make the assumption that there would be more opportunities for the latter in the West. I mean atleast Canada's Health Minister isnt out giving media bytes that homosexuality is a disease!!

-pixie- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: 6thElement

Ok...wrote up a whole lot and lost it. ๐Ÿ˜ก

Alright. Dev and Geet stayed with his Mom (Part 60 Genesis) But I do agree that I had not gotten to the back story and stressed about the part why he did what he did. I felt that would draw focus from our leads, but I guess that was needed too.

As for having another angle to Dev's betrayal, In my mind, I couldn't have him involved with another woman. Didn't matter about since when he got involved with the affair, because, in case he married Geet first and found another woman later, then the part he didn't make anything out of their wedlock cannot be explained.
Or in the vice versa situation, if he was involved with someone even before their marriage, then why get married in the first place. The desperation to  get married to her would not have risen in the first place.
The wedding was more out of a necessity to keep his identity (which I agree should have been highlighted)

As for Geet being clueless...Dev had a clear facade going there with flirting up other women, which did not rise doubts in other men's minds. And for the latter part of their marriage, she was mostly away or he was traveling (Part 60 Genesis).

I can only hope there will be some justice in writing out Geet's state of mind in the next few updates. Thanks for stopping by.
Hasini

Relationships are complex or maybe we make them complicated...Maybe you did drop the hints in the story and we were unable to piece them together...

I think why get married at all (for Dev)- would remain a question whether he was cheating on her with a guy or a girl. I was expecting infidelity, and now think the gender is moot here after a point. The more I think about it, the more I feel- why infidelity at all? Maybe it was a dysfunctional relationship- never meant to be...with some mistakes from her side and some from his...Relationships like those always makes one uncomfortable- whether you see them on screen, read about them or even come across them in real life. You always expect the person to act- walk out, confront or do something? No, or am I the only one who feels that way?

As you said it, we can all debate about Dev's motivations for doing so- but thats a separate story! Who knows maybe you will choose to tell that one day too ๐Ÿ˜Š

<I hope you consider this - equivalent to a rose bouquet and diamond bracelet๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜†>

tanya_vi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: -pixie-

Relationships are complex or maybe we make them complicated...Maybe you did drop the hints in the story and we were unable to piece them together...

I think why get married at all (for Dev)- would remain a question whether he was cheating on her with a guy or a girl. I was expecting infidelity, and now think the gender is moot here after a point. The more I think about it, the more I feel- why infidelity at all? Maybe it was a dysfunctional relationship- never meant to be...with some mistakes from her side and some from his...Relationships like those always makes one uncomfortable- whether you see them on screen, read about them or even come across them in real life. You always expect the person to act- walk out, confront or do something? No, or am I the only one who feels that way?

As you said it, we can all debate about Dev's motivations for doing so- but thats a separate story! Who knows maybe you will choose to tell that one day too ๐Ÿ˜Š

<I hope you consider this - equivalent to a rose bouquet and diamond bracelet๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜†>

The above underlined sentences compelled me to share something personal with you..it's something that happened to one of my family friends.They are settled in the US and have three girls,all happily married.I can't mention names,so let me call the second daughter,  M. M had an arranged marriage to an Indian boy settled in  US itself,hailing from a good,conservative family.Everything was perfect in the beginning..the only problem was that the guy refused to get intimate with her..he used to come up with all sorts of weird excuses. The first few months,she kept mum..She didn't even tell her sisters fearing what would happen if parents (both sides) came to know about it. Finally,frustrated out of her mind, she called me up..I suggested counselling..She called back saying he was not co-operating. After a few days, i got a call from her in the middle of the night. She was continuously sobbing but I understood this much..he confessed that he was impotent!! I consoled her,but felt that she should be talking this out with her family..She said she can't because he had threatened to commit suicide if she went open about this.
The guy I tell you was one smart cookie..eventhough they didn't get intimate,he somehow  managed to get her emotionally involved with him..he could easily manipulate her..the next step he took was even more unbelievable..he begged and pleaded with her to go for IVF.I still don't know how the hell he convinced her. I was also totally unaware about this and got a rude shock when she told me that she was pregnant.Both the families were very happy..he was happy,she was also happy and I was the only one left sulking...
Anyways to cut the long story short,after her delivery within a couple of months,she discovered the truth about her husband. He was not impotent,he was gay..He knew that she wouldn't help if he told her the truth so did all the drama. She was shattered and this time had the sense to inform her parents.He did everything pssible in his power to stop this news from reaching his parents...you know the usual,suicide threats..emotional blackmail..when that didn't work...death threat!! He was mortally scared of his mother,it seems...Anyways,her family stood by her,she got a divorce..he was disowned by his family..he moved in with his partner..She met this wonderful doctor (a white man), who accepted her and the lil' girl  whole heartedly..she now has another baby... but there is still trouble in her paradise,the former husband wants custody of their daughter..She doesn't mind sending her to him but the thought that he is living with another man ,is stopping her.
                                                Sometimes, people can be so selfish that inorder to hide all of their skeletons in the closet,they don't think twice before manipulating and destroying the life of an innocent!!
Edited by tanya_vi - 12 years ago