Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Will Ra.One and Don 2 work for SRk?

.khoobsurat. IF-Sizzlerz
.khoobsurat.
.khoobsurat.

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged
WILL RA.ONE BRING GLORY TO SRK? [02 May 2011]

Mega budget films are obviously a big gamble. Big player Shah Rukh Khan's Ra.One is out with its promotions. We check the trade pulse to see how excited they are about it

With Ra.One being slated to reach close to 150 crore and don 2 at 90 crore by the time of their release, soon there will be approximately 200 crore riding on SRK this year.

Vajir Singh, Editor, Box Office, makes a point when he says, "It is just a perception that Ra.One is the costliest movie in the history of Indian cinema but Shah Rukh hasn't mentioned anything of that sort on record. Going by the look of the film and the amount of time that has gone into its making; it seems to be the costliest film for both SRK and the industry. I am nobody to comment on audience's behalf and I don't know what their response to both these films has been so far. But as far as trade people are concerned, I can vouch for the fact that they are excited about both Don 2 and Ra.One," and further explains, "Also there are two big reasons behind it – one being that SRK would be coming back on screen about a year and a half after My Name Is Khan and the second and most important reason being that Ra.One is his first Sci-fi film wherein he is playing a superhero for the first time. Also he is not releasing his film on a Friday; it's slated to release on October 26, which is a Wednesday so the film would get 5-day long weekend in its first week itself and ample opportunity to recover its cost. More new multiplexes are slated to open before Diwali so that would add to the business of these two films. And Ra.One being a solo release will help. In trade, people are very sure that it would break all the previous records."

However, the first two teasers of Ra.One that released in March have attracted mixed responses, with a newspaper claiming that it is a rip off of Iron Man and Robot? "I know that it has been compared to Iron Man and even Robot but when Iron Man was released, it was compared to Batman," defends Vajir and adds, "See comparisons are bound to happen. But the best thing is that Ra.One is being compared to the best films of its genre. I agree that Ra.One has the train fighting sequence which even Robot had but what makes the difference is the way its being shot and treated. The treatment makes a huge difference. Also he gave the film an international touch by bringing Akon on board."

Points taken but after Robot having set the new and probably the highest benchmarks in the arena of special effects, the fact that Ra.One will have to surpass it and the audiences' expectations cannot be ignored. This in fact is being seen as the biggest challenge for SRK's next baby. "That's true. The only competition or rather comparison that it will have to face is from Robot which had a similar theme and was made on a gigantic budget and the special effects were of top notch quality," observes veteran trade analyst and critic Amod Mehra and further adds, "We have only seen a 20-second teaser so far and once the proper promo or trailer goes on air, we would come to know how hot the film is looking. The teasers that are on air currently only depicts that it's another version of Robot."

Ra.One has been in the making for a while and also one cannot deny the fact that Ra.One and Don 2 are probably the first two films to have started their promotions about seven to eight months prior to their release. They say anything in excess is poison and too much of hammering on the audience's minds might even kill their curiosity and enthusiasm about these two films. However Vajir Singh differs when he explains, "See the promotion of Ra.One has already started and SRK has already released the TV promos but in case of Don 2, only his look has been revealed so far. No promo of Don 2 has come out yet.

Also Don is a brand in itself. But Ra.One is not a brand yet. Shah Rukh has tried to make a different film and has ventured into a different genre and territory. So he is playing smart by slowly injecting his film into the audience's mind. See it's very difficult yet important to inform the audience that it would be a totally different cinema that they would witness. It's very difficult to convey all that in just three months. So he first released the 5-second promo and then a 20-second promo of the film and is slowly letting the audience know what the film is all about. It's an absolutely right marketing strategy. He has not made the film just for the multiplex audience so he's just ensuring that he's getting the right kind of response from both the class and the mass audiences.

Being a smart businessman and marketing person that he is, SRK first tried to gauge audience's response and reaction to his look that he released in January, and then he declared that he is not playing the title role Ra.One but G.One and that title role which is that of a villain is being played by Arjun Rampal. And now after about three months, he released the teasers of the film. After a couple of months he might reveal Arjun's look which has been kept a big secret and a couple of months before the film's release he would come out with his romantic angle with Kareena to capture the family audience because the film is slated to release in Diwali."

However, the matter of concern is that all big films that have been postponed to release in the latter half of the year due to the World Cup and ongoing IPL could also cause a big threat to Ra.One and Don 2's box office prospects. But Amod Mehra analyses, "If we talk about competition, Salman's Ready will come in June and Bodyguard in August; much before SRK's films would hit the screens. Akshay Kumar's films are anyways not doing well and Hrithik Roshan only has one film, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara coming this year. And most importantly Aamir doesn't have any film this year. Hence SRK will get an open ground to play. So everybody is eyeing SRK's films."

But Mehra doesn't rule out the fact that only promos cannot decide the fate of the film. "How good the special effects are, how beautifully and smartly the romantic angle has been captured and most importantly how strong the villain is, will decide the fate of this film. Unfortunately, the villain in Ra.One is a rather tame one. So the biggest challenge it has is to surpass the audience's expectations and show something more and different than Robot. And if Ra.One succeeds then we would get to see a lot more films being made on the same lines. Even Krrish 3 has been kept on hold because they want to see what Ra.One has to offer to the audience. I am sure Roshans would want to surpass Ra.One. Eventually such films would only get bigger and bigger with time. So this is very good for the industry as well as very frightening," he expresses his concern.

However, there is something that might work against the film is SRK's age. "Absolutely! Age is not on SRK's side. He is on the wrong side of 40s," echoes Mehra and further explains, "If you see either in Hollywood or Bollywood, whenever an actor has played a superhero, he has been at the right side of 40s. Superhero has to be young. Also SRK's image has been that of a romantic hero and not that of an action hero. I have my reservations about Shah Rukh playing a super hero at this stage but then it would depend how good the script is and how good the film has finally turned out to be. Sometimes you may not be successful playing a particular character but if the script is good and if it's an author backed role, then it might just work in your favour."

And then with Shah Rukh Khan, anything is possible. He might just strike back with a bang!

*By Hiten J. Trivedi

http://www.magnamags.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7960&Itemid=12

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

pria4eversheeebamboocopter

-Anjaani- IF-Rockerz
-Anjaani-
-Anjaani-

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:39am | IP Logged
90 crores for DON 2 and 150 for Rao !Shocked
i hope both work for him otherwise...

-Doppelganger-.khoobsurat.-SalShah4eva-

.khoobsurat. IF-Sizzlerz
.khoobsurat.
.khoobsurat.

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:41am | IP Logged
So Krissh 3 is being held because they first one see how Ra.One does in the cinema. Smart choice! But I hope they make Krissh 3, I love it and my little brother is a fan of Duggu and he is looking forward to it badly. And I hope my brother likes Ra.one and becomes SRK fan! :D

Edited by beboholic - 03 May 2011 at 9:41am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Omar.PCRocks

Katalicious IF-Sizzlerz
Katalicious
Katalicious

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:04am | IP Logged
Ha my mom will make us see both in theatersLOL

I hope they are good :)
Gujar IF-Rockerz
Gujar
Gujar

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:41am | IP Logged
And then with Shah Rukh Khan, anything is possible. He might just strike back with a bang!

I'd bank on that statement, with him any remote offhand success is certainly feasible even without a fortuitous coincidence factoring in, to cover up any monetary/box office differential. Having said that it could pendulate either way.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Omar.pria4ever

Shreyacool Goldie
Shreyacool
Shreyacool

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged
I doubt its gonna workConfused But still SRK will manage to get ppl to theatres through marketing tactics irrespective of the actual movie content.
mariasrk IF-Sizzlerz
mariasrk
mariasrk

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:55pm | IP Logged
Inshallah Both films will SuccessApprove!

youknowmepria4ever.khoobsurat.

ashna26 IF-Sizzlerz
ashna26
ashna26

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 2:17pm | IP Logged
Don 2 will work but not Ra it has too high budget and the promo so far is bad in mine opinion.  But who knows! Wink

Edited by ashna26 - 03 May 2011 at 2:48pm

Go to top