Uttar Kand / Lav-kush Kand

jaisiyaram thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Hello friends!

I have few queries and I am sure some of you may answer them very well..

I read that tulsidas, while writing ramcharitramanas, didn't mention about lav-kush kand as he worshipped devi sita as Mother and couldnt write what actually happened and therefor it was an incomplete uttar kand.. I have read ramcharitramanas and even read some other books too but they all were incomplete.. I want to read something specific on uttar kand.. where I can read about the tough life lived by devi sita at valmiki's aashram and how lav-kush turned into great fighters..I found few books at gitapress but they were not upto the mark..

Also I wanted to read something about life spent by Urmila when Laxman left her alone for 14yrs.. Urmila was the one who actually suffered most (as per me) and she along with Princess Yashodra (gautam buddha's wife) share the same place in our history..

So, can anyone suggest me something ...(where are you janki ji!)

Edited by jaisiyaram - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago
RES

Will edit after my exams.😊
pakhara thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Wow! That is great that you have read so much and have so much insight into the Ramayana.
Great bhaiya!
I don't know how to answer that question though. There are many different versions of the Ramayana, coming from different parts of India and from different sects of Hinduism. They all include details like that which Sagars has used in their serials.
Chiinnu thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
About urmila, there  is not much information available.

but according to some Ramayanas, Laxman says Devi Nidra to stay with Urmila for the long 14 years, and she was sleeping since Laxmanji returns. 
jaisiyaram thumbnail
Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

RES

Will edit after my exams.😊

I will wait :-)
jaisiyaram thumbnail
Originally posted by: AishuJSKfan

Wow! That is great that you have read so much and have so much insight into the Ramayana.
Great bhaiya!
I don't know how to answer that question though. There are many different versions of the Ramayana, coming from different parts of India and from different sects of Hinduism. They all include details like that which Sagars has used in their serials.

Hello Aishu! No I am the least knowledgeable person over here on mythos.. :( 

Yes there are different version of Ramayan and even buddhism and jainism have their own characters of ramayan..but i want to know about ramcharitramanas only written by tulsidas who actually intentionally skipped uttarkand.. 

Urmila (user over here) suggested me some book but that book is not available in my city.. 

About urmila (laxman's wife) chinnu told me very new thing .. I never knew that...just some light memories that might be i heard the same.. but not sure.. and if this actually happened why laxman did this? Just to give her relief from pain of separation..

I would loveee to read more about utar kand and Urmila episode.. I wish I have 1000 page book on this!!!!

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Originally posted by: chinnu_manikyam

but according to some Ramayanas, Laxman says Devi Nidra to stay with Urmila for the long 14 years, and she was sleeping since Laxmanji returns. 

I too read this story somewhere. It is neither in Valmiki Ramayan nor Ramcharitmanas, but according to the story, Urmila had begged Lakshman not to go without her because she would not be able to stand the separation from him, but Lakshman did not want to take her because there would be demons in the forests and he would be too busy serving Ram and Sita to protect her.

But the variation in my story is that instead of summoning Nidra Devi, Lakshman literally 'donated' his sleep to Urmila so that during the daytime of the 14 years, she slept using Lakshman's sleep and during the nightime, her own sleep. In this way, she slept throughout all 14 years while Lakshman did not sleep at all, instead being able to guard Ram and Sita without ever feeling tired. So when Lakshman returned, Urmila felt as if not even an hour had elapsed since his going away, so she suffered no separation.

But I don't really like this story much, because it undermines Urmila's sacrifice and Lakshman's as well. Urmila is exalted for the separation she had suffered for 14 years, and Lakshman was known for his servitute towards Ram and Sita tirelessly. This story makes the sacrifice of both characters lesser than it actually was.
jaisiyaram thumbnail

I too read this story somewhere. It is neither in Valmiki Ramayan nor Ramcharitmanas, but according to the story, Urmila had begged Lakshman not to go without her because she would not be able to stand the separation from him, but Lakshman did not want to take her because there would be demons in the forests and he would be too busy serving Ram and Sita to protect her.

But the variation in my story is that instead of summoning Nidra Devi, Lakshman literally 'donated' his sleep to Urmila so that during the daytime of the 14 years, she slept using Lakshman's sleep and during the nightime, her own sleep. In this way, she slept throughout all 14 years while Lakshman did not sleep at all, instead being able to guard Ram and Sita without ever feeling tired. So when Lakshman returned, Urmila felt as if not even an hour had elapsed since his going away, so she suffered no separation.

But I don't really like this story much, because it undermines Urmila's sacrifice and Lakshman's as well. Urmila is exalted for the separation she had suffered for 14 years, and Lakshman was known for his servitute towards Ram and Sita tirelessly. This story makes the sacrifice of both characters lesser than it actually was.

I actually liked when you said you dislike this story as it is withdrawing the due credit to the hidden main characters of ramayan.. 

Also this won't be possible as I remember when Mahiravana kidnapped shri ram and laxman.. they both were sleeping ;) 
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Originally posted by: jaisiyaram

I actually liked when you said you dislike this story as it is withdrawing the due credit to the hidden main characters of ramayan.. 

Also this won't be possible as I remember when Mahiravana kidnapped shri ram and laxman.. they both were sleeping ;) 

Was Lakshman actually sleeping when Mahiravana came? As per my understanding he used some sort of maya on them to make them sleep, because Lakshman never slept when his vigilant watch was required. If Ram slept he was awake, and only when Ram was awake he slept. It does not seem like Lakshman's character to sleep during war.
jaisiyaram thumbnail

Was Lakshman actually sleeping when Mahiravana came? As per my understanding he used some sort of maya on them to make them sleep, because Lakshman never slept when his vigilant watch was required. If Ram slept he was awake, and only when Ram was awake he slept. It does not seem like Lakshman's character to sleep during war.

I was just trying to remember an incidence where laxman was sleeping to defend Urmila''s sacrifice .. but i still feel laxman was sleeping as that's what the reason hanuman was awake and was keeping an eye .. maya must have played some rle but i think laxman and shri ram both were sleeping...