Originally posted by lola610
Which brings me to my next question(s): the Devaasur Sangraam started when Mohini's purpose was revealed, and lasted long enough for important Treta figures like Muchkand, Jambvant, and Dashrath to participate. There are different accounts of this conflict in every puraan, all of them make references to different familiar names (the ones I mentioned above and presumably more)... sooo... can whoever knows any info on/stories from the Devasur Sangram please share them here? Or if there are enough of them, in a thread of their own? Thank yous!
Ah, finally some serious Rakshashology (study of Rakshashas, or, if you prefer, Asuralogy) work on!!!
I once in the Ramayan forum asked about the differences b/w Asuras & Rakshashas, other than the former being sons of Diti. Vritra, Rahu, Ketu, Shambarasura, Hiranyaksha, Hiranyakashipu, Narakasura were some of the asuras, while Ravan, Kumbhakarna, Indrajit, Hidimba, Kirmira, Bakasura, Alambusha and Ghatotkacha were rakshashas. So were they all the same group of beings, and would events, like Ravan's conquests, be considered a part of the Devasura sangram?
Was the Devasura sangram a series of wars like the Crusades, or were they used to describe just some of the wars that the Devas fought the asuras? B'cos thinking about it, here are some of the wars that took place (not necessarily in chronological order):
- Kurma avatar war, where Rahu-Ketu were beheaded and the Asuras routed
- Surapadman's war against the Devas, which resulted in him & his brothers being killed by Kartikeya
- Indras war against Vritra
- Hiranyakashipu's war of revenge against the Devas for the killing of Hiranyaksha
- Bali's war of revenge against the Devas for the killing of Virochan
- Muchkund's support of the Devas against the asuras (who was ruling the asuras then?)
- Dasharath's war against Shambara
- Kush's war against Durjaya (resulted in the deaths of both)
- Narakasura's conquests, and death @ Krishna's hands
- Banasura??? Did he conquer the Devas?
- Any others I forgot/overlooked? Do Ravan's wars w/ Indra count?
I think a new thread about the Devasura sangram would be good. But specify in it whether Rakshashas are included or not, so that there is no confusion. We can't have Rakshashas being mistaken for Asuras, or vice versa