Mythological Masti

|| Mythological Masti :: Doubts & Discussions || (Page 27)

Post Reply New Post

Page 27 of 54

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:54am | IP Logged
visrom,

Sure, heard of it...It's a famous story

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "|| Mythological Masti :: Doubts & Discussions || (Page 27)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

eyeofnewt

eyeofnewt

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by visrom

I am a bit surprised at what was shown in KBC. It was said that Shiva burned Kamdev so Rati did penance and Shiva promised her that Kamdev would be resurrected and he was reborn as Pradyumna, son of Krishna.

Had anyone heard of this??

Yes, that's the most popular version of the story, is it not?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish.The.Lannister

visrom

IF-Veteran Member

visrom

Posted: 17 November 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged

Yeah...but if we think of the timeline...it gets a bit confusing...from the time Shiva and Parvati got married till Vishnu had his eigth avtar, Kamdev wasn't restored? Confused I just heard that Pradyumna is an incarnation...not that Kamdev was restored  as Pradyumna.

.Vrish.The.Lannister

eyeofnewt

eyeofnewt

Posted: 18 November 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by visrom

Yeah...but if we think of the timeline...it gets a bit confusing...from the time Shiva and Parvati got married till Vishnu had his eigth avtar, Kamdev wasn't restored?

That is correct. One of Kamdev's epithet's is Ananga, or without body. His spirit was invisible and unattached to any corporeal form until he was reborn as Pradyumn

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nacvaraaliThe.Lannister

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 12:03pm | IP Logged
I have a new question.  One of the stories about Prahlad illustrating his greatness was about his impartiality, and him siding w/ Indra against his own son Virochan.  Anybody know more about the details of this story?

In particular, I'm interested in knowing what was Virochan's fault for which Prahlad declined to support him?  In Vishnu Purana or some such serial, they showed Virochan as being a devotee of Vishnu, and getting killed by Indra and his body charred badly, so that it couldn't get proper funeral.  That actually was what angered Bali and provoked him to launch a war against Indra, and this was one of the rare instances where Vishnu was fair to the asuras.

In fact, I've heard that even after he became the ruler of the asuras, Prahlad too had his skirmishes w/ Indra - it's not that the Devasura wars were completely resolved.  Just that the devas had a virtuous asura as their adversary.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac

dharma22

Goldie

dharma22

Posted: 25 November 2012 at 10:23pm | IP Logged
thanks

SahasranamaM

Groupbie

SahasranamaM

Posted: 08 December 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged
Hai,

Can you people share some stories/myths/legends/folktales relating to Gandharvas? It would be better if it is something related to your region. In short, not much widespread stories.

Edited by SahasranamaM - 08 December 2012 at 12:15am

jklpvaraali

Vibhishna

Goldie

Vibhishna

Posted: 27 December 2012 at 9:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by SahasranamaM

Hai,

Can you people share some stories/myths/legends/folktales relating to Gandharvas? It would be better if it is something related to your region. In short, not much widespread stories.

I don't know much but the only one I can think of is Renuka's story when she lost her spiritual powers as she marveled at a Gandharva passing by.

I am still not sure if the Gandharvas are a separate race by themselves or a sub-race of Yakshas. Gandharvas are mentioned in many stories as entertainers - highly skilled in fine arts especially music and dance. They are also referred to as spiritual beings (sometimes part animal, part bird) and mates of Apsaras. Sometimes they are mentioned as skilled warriors who fight alongside the Devas and Yakshas in the battles against evil. They also guard the Soma for Devas.

They are mentioned quite a lot in the Mahabharata. The Gandharva named Tumburu, sone of Sage Kashyapa with his wife Pradha (he has 3 brothers - I forgot their names, sorry. All 4 were renowned for their pleasant speech and sweet music). Tumburu was said to have been Arjuna's friend and gifted Yudhishtra horses. I think he aided the Pandavas and also visited and stayed with Yudhishtra after the war - not sure of the details.

Another story I can think of is of Viradha - a Gandharva cursed to become a monster and roamed Dandakaranya. He grabbed Sita and was killed by Rama thereby liberating him from the curse. The Gandharva then was returned to his original form and went back to his abode.

A lot of Buddhist tales include Gandharvas. It makes me think that the Himalaya is their abode but I am not sure. They might be found everywhere.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for but this is all I can think of now.

As a side question, are Apsaras a separate race?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.