Mythological Masti
Mythological Masti

India-Forums

|| Mythological Masti :: Doubts & Discussions || (Page 26)

..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Stunnerz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 30 October 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by varaali

Reshma

Our Puranic stories are loaded with layers and layers of meaning. It would be unfair, even foolhardy to take a narrow, single-angled interpretation of them.

To answer your first argument-

The varnashrama (caste wise distinction of the society) was extremely fluid in the Treta Yuga. A person's caste was determined by the kind of work he did- it was not necessarily determined by his birth. Hence technically. a person, by the choice of his occupation, could move up and down the social ladder. Though admittedly, it was rare for a higher caste person to sink to a lower level, it was not impossible for a lower ranked person to move to a higher level. This was how the society functioned theoretically.

Since Vedas- shrutis- were considered the bedrock of the society, their learning and chanting was strictly regulated. This aspect is easily misinterpreted when it is said that the Vedas were in the sole custody of the Brahmins. What is often overlooked, is that, the Brahmins had to abide by far more stricter rule of conduct than the others.

If a shudra was inspired to learn and chant the Vedas, nothing prevented him from approaching a guru and commence his education-promising to abide by the rules laid down in the Smritis.  A shudra however, could not chant the Vedas without proper initiation or without regard to its sanctity.

Now coming to your question- I am not too familiar with the finer details of this particular story- I believe he wanted to conquer the Devaloka or something like that, but what ever it may be, the main reason was more than just the fact that a shudra happened to chant the vedas.

Very wonderfully explained!Clap We cannot just read the puranas as a story and judge the characters like we do humans. Gods did things we humans would never do, but they did it for a purpose and we cannot find fault with that.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nacvaraali

..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 30 October 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Reshama.

Krishna steals the clothes of the gopis and seduces them..why???To see the gopis without clothes?? =|What example is it towards man?? Whij didnt he married them??
Why didnt he married his Radha??

Where does it say Krishna seduced the gopis? Gopis were attracted to him themselves because of his divine energy. As for the vastra haran, Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna does very well in explaining this story and I believe the source it used is Shrimad Bhagawatham.

Gopi Vastra Haran was done to teach the gopis a lesson. It is said that the gopis were proud of their beauty and bathed in the yamuna river naked. Shri Krishna took their clothes away to teach them that bathing naked is a sin and makes the river impure for everyone else. He wanted to put them in a situation where they did not have clothes with them to make them understand that anyone could play such a prank and then what would their situation be? They'd be stuck in the river until someone took pity on them.

Also, we have to remember that Krishna was only an eight year old child at this time, so it's a prank any child could do so to use the word 'seduce' is wrong.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

SahasranamaMArchana.nacsrishtisinghStalwart.varaalivisromVarnita.atominis

..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged
Guys, I have question.

Does anyone know how much time passed since Ravan's death to Ram, Sita, and Lakshman's return to Ayodhya?Confused I thought it was only a few days since they travelled by Pushpak Vimaan from Lanka, but Dusshera and Diwali have such a long gap so that's why I'm asking.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac

ShivangBuch Goldie
ShivangBuch
ShivangBuch

Posted: 07 November 2012 at 9:00am | IP Logged
It would take time to wind up everything na. Ravan's funeral. Vibhishan's coronation. Routine in the city post war to become normal and funeral of dead bodies. In fact, that way they have made it really surprisingly quick in just a few days. It also makes it clear that Ram departed for exile from Ayodhya 14 years back also on Diwali day according to that belief.

Question though still remains that Ram could leave immediately in emergency for the sake of Bharat instead of creating such critical cut to cut crisis of reaching at the last moment. Probably that was planned due to the availability of Pushpak. Those must not be the days of technical breakdown of machines.Big smile Anyhow Hanumanji was there.Wink He also as per rule could not reach earlier. So it then becomes immaterial whether he reaches in one day to Ayodhya from Lanka or from some nearby place say Nishadraj Guhu's place.

Edited by ShivangBuch - 07 November 2012 at 9:03am

Archana.nac

.Vrish. Viewbie
.Vrish.
.Vrish.

Posted: 07 November 2012 at 11:49pm | IP Logged
In Valmiki, does Bharat actually threaten to end his life is Rama is even a day late?

Archana.nac

eyeofnewt Newbie
eyeofnewt
eyeofnewt

Posted: 14 November 2012 at 8:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lola610

In the versions in which Mareech reappears in Aranya Kand, it is specified that Ram's arrow sent him 100 leagues away rather than killing him.

Marichi is actually one of the Saptarishis, and he is the father of Rishi Kashyap (which, by extension makes him the grandfather of Upendra/Vaman Avatar).

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten? I think part of the issue was that reading the Ramayan as a child, I glossed over the part about Ram sending Mareech 100 yojanas away with his arrow because I didn't really know what a yojna was, and I still don't.  Hell, I can hardly do a km <--> mile conversion despite having taking the equivalent of four semesters of college physics. LOL Google should include yojana in their conversion measurment, hehe.

Thanks for the edification lols.
lola610 IF-Rockerz
lola610
lola610

Posted: 14 November 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged
@ Vrish - surprisingly, it is in Valmiki Ramayan - sarga 112 of Ayodhya Kand.

@ Rahul - you're welcome! and lol it probably is part of some Google app or the other, since so many desis work for them... after stumbling upon their transliterator and using it to learn to read and write Hindi with it, it wouldn't surprise me!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac-Gitanjali-

visrom IF-Veteran Member
visrom
visrom

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged
I am a bit surprised at what was shown in KBC. It was said that Shiva burned Kamdev so Rati did penance and Shiva promised her that Kamdev would be resurrected and he was reborn as Pradyumna, son of Krishna.

Had anyone heard of this??

Archana.nac

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index