Mythological Masti

|| Mythological Masti :: Doubts & Discussions || (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 54

Page 1
Page   of 54
Page 3 Page 54

jaisiyaram

Groupbie

jaisiyaram

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 5:30pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Dpka1415

|| QUERY ||

hey frnds!
Since we dont have a current discussion going on here...i thought to post a quick query of mine...which i wanted to clarify...
This is more out of curiosity actually...i have manyatimes heard that Hanuman ji is to be worshipped only by the male devotees and not females...is it correct???
Though i have not seen this in my nearby temple as on every tuesday i see women along with men who are praying to Hanumanji...reading Shree Hanuman Chaalisa and some devotees contributing the sindoori chola for the Lord...but i have heard a few people saying that this is not correct as Hanuman ji is a Brahmachaari so lady devotees should not worship him...but is it actually so?
As on personal front. ...I myself worship Hanuman ji...and believe me this is my personal experience whenever i pray to him or whenever i m in a trouble and recall Shree Hanuman Chaalisa in my mind...everything falls into place...i have a firm belief in what Shree Ram had said to Hanuman ji during his Mahaprayaan...that Hanuman you will stay on this earth till the eternity and will look after the people and bless them...   
I just wanted to confirm if there is something like this mentioned anywhere in our mythology that women are not allowed to worship him? I know in India there are uncountable myths too. .. So do lemme know your views too..   

There are big temples of Hanuman ji and I have seen tens of hundereds of females.. I don't think there is any kind of restriction for female followers for hanuman ji..

The only reason is Hanumanji was a bal brahamchari and didn't want any female attention or touch.. he gave all his life to shri ram's bhakti .. so that could be the only reason... but yes in hindu religion, marriage can be done in any temple but hanumanji's.. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nacVishakha_SakhiThe.Lannister

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "|| Mythological Masti :: Doubts & Discussions || (Page 2)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

visrom

IF-Veteran Member

visrom

Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:16pm | IP Logged

QUERY

Can someone please explain to me the story of Parshuram in brief? The only information I have is that he was the son of Jamadagni and Renuka. His father was murdered by some Kshatriyas and he swore to destroy all the Kshatriyas on this planet. I read this in the Amar Chitra Katha - Dasha Avtar long ago.

But I have heard something about he beheading his own mother. Is this true?

Also when he appeared in Ramayan at Sita's Swayamvar, he hardly looked like an avtar of Lord Vishnu. Somehow I am unable to see any kind of divinity in Parshuram, unlike Lord Rama or Krishna.

Thanks for your answers in advance.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nac.Vrish.Vishakha_SakhiThe.Lannister

Debipriya

Debipriya

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 3:35am | IP Logged
@Visrom

(Had a discussion about the same topic with Shivang some time back, now trying to note down some points from that convo.)

Lord Parashuram was the sixth Avtaar of Vishu, and yes, we all know He had 'anger' as the main characteristic in him, but like all the other Avataars of the Lord, here also, it was used for the 'Cause' (i.e.- Maintenance of the Creation/ 'srishti pratipaalan'), in the way Lord wished it to happen. 

Initially, I was also unable to 'perceive'   Lord Shri Hari in Parashuram in Sita Swayambar (RS 'Ramayan'), but gradually understood that He had Tremendous Power in Him in the past. But as Shri Ram came to earth, the Power/ Potentail  of the Lord Shri Hari transferred from Lord Parashuram to Shri Ram.  And thus after Lord Parashuram, Shri Ram became the main avataar in Treta Yug. I think that is the 'essence' of that particular sc in 'Ramayan' that after it, Shri Ram was considered as the Prime Avataar of Shri Hari by all.  

Here are some links on Lord Parashuram, where you'll get the stories in detail:

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

Urmila11Archana.nac.Vrish.visromVishakha_SakhiThe.Lannister..RamKiJanaki..

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged
Debipriya

Agree w/ everything else you wrote, except that Wikipedia should be taken w/ a pinch of salt.

visirom

1.  The reason Parashuram was born was that Bhumi Devi was overburdened by kshatriyas, particularly Kartavirya Arjuna, and wanted to be relieved of a lot of them.  That's why Vishnu took birth.  In the ACK you mention, they describe how Parashuram's grandma & mother switched potions that were meant for each other, and as a result, Parashuram's uncle was destined to be an ascetic, despite being a kshatriya, while Parashuram, despite being a brahmin, became a warrior.

Anyway, the fight started when Kartavirya Arjuna wanted Jamadagni's calf, and stole it @ night, in response to which Parashuram killed him.  Kartavirya's sons in return killed Jamadagni, and Parashuram over retaliated, wiping out 7 generations of kshatriyas b4 Kashyap called on him to stop and exiled him from earth.

2.  Yeah, his father once tested him on his loyalty by ordering him to do that.  He unquestioningly did it, and his father told him that since his brothers had refused, he had cursed them to go mad.  Parashuram then asked for her to be revived and his brothers to be cured when his father offered him a boon.

3.  In Sita's swayamvar, the accounts vary.  In Valmiki, Parashuram did not go to the swayamvar, but accosted Dasharath when the baraat was returning to Ayodhya, and that was where Rama accepted his challenge to string Vishnu's bow.  C Rajagopalacharya commented that this was where Vishnu's incarnation ceased to be in Parashuram, and started in Rama.  In Tulsidas, they mention that Parashuram went to the swayamvar itself after Rama broke the bow - this is what they showed in both the RS and AS Ramayans.

Personally, I don't like Parashuram much, given his behavior was the ultimate 'guilt by association' - b'cos one kshatriya family murdered his father, he retaliated by wiping out 21 generations of ksatriyas.  He also made Dronacharya the most lethal Brahmin in history (aside from himself) and was indirectly the reason the entire Pandava army was wiped out (most of the warriors killed in Kurukshetra on the Pandava side were killed by Drona and Ashwatthama)  I'm thankful that he's not as widely worshipped as is Rama or Krishna.  Also, whereas Rama and Krishna remained avatars until they returned to Vaikunta-dham, Parashuram ceased to be an avatar after his meeting w/ Rama, if not earlier - he's immortal, but not an avatar any more.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nacsrishtisinghvisromAngel-likeDevilVishakha_SakhiatominisThe.Lannister..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged
I'm also not a huge fan of Parashuram, as Ram and Krishna are my favorite Vishnu avatars and then Narasimha after them, but I guess I understand why Parashuram had to come. Only thing I don't understand is why he wiped out innocent Kshatriyas. Would Sri Hari really do that 'for 'the greater good'? Or were those wiped out Kshatriyas all Adharmis, in which case it makes sense?

Archana.nacvisromVishakha_SakhiThe.Lannister

.Vrish.

IF-Veteran Member

.Vrish.

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged
In the ACK which visrom cited, Parashuram indiscriminately slaughtered innocent kshatriyas as well, ending up in total lawlessness, and Bhoomi Devi approached Kashyap asking him to stop Parashuram.  That was when he intervened and put some very stringent conditions on Parashuram.  I don't know ACK's source, but I doubt they'd have manufactured something that damning, unless it wasn't actually there in the originals.

I personally have a dim view of both Parashuram and Vamana: Vamana was basically out to cheat Bali, who unlike other asuras/rakshashas like Hiranyaksha, Hiranyakashipu, Ravan, Tarakasura, Surapadman, Mahishashur, et al was not a tyrant, and only went to war w/ the Devas b'cos Indra had murdered his father for no reason but envy.  Aside from that, I like Narasimha, Varaha, Kurma (not Mohini LOL) and Matsya.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Archana.nacsrishtisinghvisromVishakha_SakhiThe.Lannister

jaisiyaram

Groupbie

jaisiyaram

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Vrish_

Vamana was basically out to cheat Bali, who unlike other asuras/rakshashas like Hiranyaksha, Hiranyakashipu, Ravan, Tarakasura, Surapadman, Mahishashur, et al was not a tyrant, and only went to war w/ the Devas b'cos Indra had murdered his father for no reason but envy.  Aside from that, I like Narasimha, Varaha, Kurma (not Mohini LOL) and Matsya.

Vamana Avtar was very much needed at that time otherwise bali could have ruled over all three worlds! So that was fair :)

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

DebipriyaArchana.nacvisromVishakha_SakhiThe.Lannister..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 7:25pm | IP Logged
^ Yeah, I also like Vaman avatar. Bali was not completely innocent and he was out to get the throne of Indra so that the Danavas could rule the Devas, which would eventually result in Adharma ruling Dharma. Vishnu could never let that happen, so I can see complete justification in Vaman Avatar.

It is Parashuram's avatar in which I cannot see justification, and I still find it hard to believe Vishnu could have slaughtered innocent humans, esp since Ram and Krishna avatars were all about the protection of innocent beings. It doesn't make sense.

Archana.nacvisromVishakha_SakhiThe.Lannister

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Mythological Masti Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.