Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Abhiram- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago
Originally posted by: Rapier

Tamil for the south will only get u around Tamil Nadu.😆 I am from the south and I dunno one word of Tamil. I don't think there is a common language for the entire south. there are just too many languages: tamil, telugu, kannada, malayalam etc.  english or hindi is a safer bet.😆

I agree with u guys.😊 Knowing Tamil alone can't help u in South India, as there are almost 4 major states in South India, and 5 major languages like Tamil, Telugu, Kannada,Malayalam and Tulu.English is a effective tool of communication in South India, Hindi is averagely understood.But in the hinterlnds of South India, neither Hindi nor English, is understood.Such things pose a problem, especially to travellers.
   No language is superior or inferior.Each and every language is superior in its own way, and has its own cultural and lingual richness.Therefore Hindi as well as other languages are equal in every aspect, and we should instead enjoy learning them.
    Some vested interests in India, often scorn or laugh upon people from North-East or South India, if they don't know Hindi.Such people should understand, tht as Hindi is language, so do are other languages.and they should learn to respect other languages.

peaches4u thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

I agree that Hindi should be the national language.  I don't understand why each state insists on a separate language. 

Growing up in India I was glad that I learn how to speak Hindi, but really did not appreciate having to lean Tamil because it was mandatory.  That's crazy.

India is very diverse, you can have so many different people living in any of the Indian states at any given time. Especially now that India has growing opportunities within each state, I can only imagine how many people must be relocating all the time back and forth.

In that case, I think it makes sense to have one uniform language.  It's no sense to have to learn a new language and force it down their throats...

It concerns me that we are willing to learn English but not our mother tongue Hindi...

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: peaches4u

It concerns me that we are willing to learn English but not our mother tongue Hindi...

Hindi is not the mother tongue for most people in India.
I don't understand these language wars and I don't want to get into one. I don't want anyone mock me for not being fluent in my native tongue and I don't care about jingoist lectures.

Tongue is just one of the sense organs and we make a big deal out of it. Use other senses and sensibility. Let diversity prosper in India.

And yes, it's unfortunate that all of us miss out on wonderful literature in regional and foreign languages.
peaches4u thumbnail
Originally posted by: souro

Hindi is not the mother tongue for most people in India.

That's because some people are trying to change something that's right into something that's not good for the nation choosing not to speak or learn Hindi.  It's not about the language, it's about the attitude.

Sadly, I have come accross some Indians that refer to themselves as "I am Marathi, I am Gujrati, I am Punjabi, I am from the "South"...etc, but not "Indian"

I don't agree.  This mentality is going to cause our nation to fall apart. 

If you are from India, you are Indian, and there should be one language that is common to all of us.
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: peaches4u

That's because some people are trying to change something that's right into something that's not good for the nation choosing not to speak or learn Hindi.  It's not about the language, it's about the attitude.

Sadly, I have come accross some Indians that refer to themselves as "I am Marathi, I am Gujrati, I am Punjabi, I am from the "South"...etc, but not "Indian"

I don't agree.  This mentality is going to cause our nation to fall apart. 

If you are from India, you are Indian, and there should be one language that is common to all of us.

It's their choice, how can you label it as right or wrong?
Fine if you want to have one language, problem is who is going to decide which language it is going to be? What gives some people the right to impose Hindi on everyone else? Why not some other language? Why should others learn a language just so that someone else won't face any problem communicating with them? What do they (those who learnt the extra language) gain from that?

Edited by souro - 12 years ago
peaches4u thumbnail
Originally posted by: souro

It's their choice, how can you label it as right or wrong?
Fine if you want to have one language, problem is who is going to decide which language it is going to be? What gives some people the right to impose Hindi on everyone else? Why not some other language? Why should others learn a language just so that someone else won't face any problem communicating with them? What do they (those who learnt the extra language) gain from that?

Ok so let's do this, let's get rid of English as well?  How about that, I agree that some people choose not to speak english, that's fine...it's a free world,  However, they have a lot to lose if they don't.    

Hindhi is starting to be recognized outside of India, and that's a good thing.  I would love that Hindi be considerd an internationl language and recongnized as outtnational language (which I think it is).  It somehting that is good for the nation.

Now if some go against this change,then I'm sorry they will not gain from this, and only choose to learn the language of their choice.

Some people will just never go out of their "home state" I guess... 😕

blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
I am all for sign language...saara jhagda khatam...

In my opinion Urdu is the most beautiful language and if I had my way I would make it the world language...kam se kam log ek doosre se tameez se toh baat karenge..
nehlove thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Yes... A national language displays national unity. If you got pride for your country, you should know the national language.