Frequent Posters

singh2000 thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

thank u

Edited by singh2000 - 12 years ago
bewafa thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I asked Dad and he said that in Sikhism, it's not banned...but like, you can't go marrying your brother or your own cousin. Only that is prohibited.

He said that your situation is more of a cultural thing and usually in the Indian culture, this is frowned upon and so, doesn't often happen.

But I'm thinking because this is just a cultural taboo...you may still go ahead trying to convince them.
Edited by bewafa - 12 years ago
singh2000 thumbnail
thank u so much for asking ur dad:) if u don't mind can u ask uncle ji if it has happened any where? kyu ki it would be easier for us if we got a example...waiting for ur reply

thank u once again
bewafa thumbnail
Na sorry, he doesn't know of anyone who's done that.

Mind you, we've been away from India for a long time, and back when Dad was in India...you mostly had arranged marriages anyway. Those that had love marriages done have not been in your circumstance.

However, the good news is that it is just a social construct. Your parents don't have a solid foundation...had it been a religious issue, then yes, they have something solid to stand on. 

Social taboos can be overcome. Just keep working at it :D

Ask them...what are their reasons for saying no? Talk them through it logically. 
They can't use religion and genes (blood) as excuses. 
singh2000 thumbnail
thank u so much for ur reply:) Edited by singh2000 - 12 years ago
Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Well i have an example of "girl swapping" i guess in sikh culture...
a family friend of ours...my aunt's sister got married. My aunt married this guy who was the nephew of that her jija. So her sister is now her chachi too!
singh2000 thumbnail
Hi Jass:) thank u for the exampleEdited by singh2000 - 12 years ago
bewafa thumbnail
Dude, if they're against it for no reason then no example will change their mind. Why don't u just make up something? Even if u did get a real story from here, how will they know it's real? Also since ur parents seem a bit...traditional...make sure the example u make up concerns ppl from ur caste else ur parents will be like, oh they're a diff caste so diff rules etc lol
singh2000 thumbnail

ok

Edited by singh2000 - 12 years ago
bewafa thumbnail
Originally posted by: singh2000

making up a example won't help coz i m sure they r gonna ask where it happened, so we r just trying to find out if a real story can help us. i m sure it must have happened some where...so if anyone knows anything about such example plz let us know

yeah so make it up? ensure caste and area is near about the same

besides, dude, it seems as if your parents don't want you to get married to her, so they're finding silly issues.

Even if u do find an example, what's going to happen? They'll find something wrong with it.

That issue isn't so big, they just don't like her. 

So change that because they're just hiding behind that excuse.