Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2

PandorasBox

Goldie

PandorasBox

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:47am | IP Logged
but then again, this is one of those topics where everyone would be politically correct and in unison chant such phrases as "beauty comes in every shape and sizes" or something along those lines.

Lemme be the first to aggravate.

I went to Orlando this summer (I'm from Canada). Everything was fine until we left the tourist area and landed upon residential area. I literally felt like puking. There were drug users and hookers in plain sight. And everyone was huge, like HUGE. The people were also very unfriendly. This was perhaps one of the worst experiences I've had. I had my cell stolen too. I couldn't wait to go back home. The point of this was to reflect that the area was probably a low income one, and everyone seems fat. There's clearly a correalation between wealth and fatness. Wealth is also positively correalated with education. Does fat people= uneducated poor people?

At the Mcdonald's in the States between our stopovers the medium meal was HUGE compared to the ones we have. They even have X-large which we don't. Furthermore, Mcdonald's was the only chain fast-food place that was available in every stopovers. I'm not saying it's any better in Canada but we do have variety.

I've notices in rich areas people seem to be more active and health conscious, too.

It's kind of ironic because in other parts of the world being fat equates to wealth.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Skinny Debate (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 02 May 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PandorasBox

but then again, this is one of those topics where everyone would be politically correct and in unison chant such phrases as "beauty comes in every shape and sizes" or something along those lines.

Lemme be the first to aggravate.

I went to Orlando this summer (I'm from Canada). Everything was fine until we left the tourist area and landed upon residential area. I literally felt like puking. There were drug users and hookers in plain sight. And everyone was huge, like HUGE. The people were also very unfriendly. This was perhaps one of the worst experiences I've had. I had my cell stolen too. I couldn't wait to go back home. The point of this was to reflect that the area was probably a low income one, and everyone seems fat. There's clearly a correalation between wealth and fatness. Wealth is also positively correalated with education. Does fat people= uneducated poor people?

At the Mcdonald's in the States between our stopovers the medium meal was HUGE compared to the ones we have. They even have X-large which we don't. Furthermore, Mcdonald's was the only chain fast-food place that was available in every stopovers. I'm not saying it's any better in Canada but we do have variety.

I've notices in rich areas people seem to be more active and health conscious, too.

It's kind of ironic because in other parts of the world being fat equates to wealth.

You meant these ?

PandorasBox

Goldie

PandorasBox

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged
^^ oh yesss

I'm not talking fat people here but OBESE. why is it so hard to take it? it may not be politically correct but I think the developed world has a prob with obesity. Many parts of the world view fatness as wealth, here it's opposite

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:00pm | IP Logged
Obesity is due to eating addiction mostly.
All in the mind, so mind has to be occupied with other pastimes.

Or make a bargain, run a mile for ever scoop of ice cream or a chocate bar.

PandorasBox

Goldie

PandorasBox

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged
I agree that some causes of obesity is due to other factors. Like when people have eating disorder, the psychologist mostly focus on the emotional aspect of eating, not the eating itself. But that doesn't help explain how a majority of people are obese compared to years ago.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 03 May 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged
Modern conveniences, less walking, more computer games rather then out in the fields.

koolchick

IF-Rockerz

Requested Self ban

Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Krani

IF-Dazzler

Krani

Posted: 15 May 2011 at 6:47pm | IP Logged
Might be joining in this debate a bit too late, but even though I disagree with what the researchers have put forth, there is a slight truth somewhere in them.

Most people want to be the ideal figure. Not too skinny and not too fat. Models have always represented in the 'too skinny' category, and so whenever I look at a model I always feel that there are just a few too many bones protruding out.

Actresses, on the other hand, represent a more realistic figure. Granted there are many out there who have a ridiculously thin figure (Keira Knightly, Sonal Kapoor, Deepika Pudukone etc), but there are others who have a curvy and slim figure (Kareena Kapoor, Katherine Heigl, Anoushka Sharma, Asin) 

I always thought that the curvy, yet slim, actresses have the perfect figure. They are toned and fit, yet they haven't gone that extra step to go ridiculously skinny. 

I remember I saw a billboard the other day on my way from University, and it was of this girl on a guys lap, in a close embrace. My first thought when I saw the girl was "Is that a kid?"
She was so skinny, so skinny, that literally she looked like a little kid, around 12 years of age. It was appallingly disgusting, and I vowed to never ever get that skinny. 

You could see her hip bones protruding out, even though she was sitting, and her collar bones were jutting out so much, that it looked unhealthy.

So what I am trying to say is that, many people have always considered the models to be stick-thin and not a realistic representative of the ideal figure. Therefore if more curvier models are presented, some people might still view that as being "too skinny" and it might cause a rise in obesity.

However having said that, I still think that such disgustingly thin models definitely should not be shown either, because it's just so unrealistic. 

Edited by sweetdamage - 15 May 2011 at 7:05pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Prinsesse.Suvi

Post Reply New Post

Go to top