Writers Corner

~..~ Story Day - Read & Vote ~..~[CLOSED] (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 9

Page 1
Page   of 9
Page 3 Page 9

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 24 April 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged

Using Excerpt #4

A/N:
Used my imagination...characters are invented

Tell Me It's Written In The Sky

Divine conspiracies, unlike the rumored divine grace, are not a myth. I speak from personal experience. 

How else would one explain the uncanny concurrence of our lives?

Cause hello, this is my story.

But she has to, as a rule, barge her way into every notable aspect of it.

It sure beats the hell out of me... how she does it. All the damn time!

Sweet love.
Beautiful love.
I can not believe that you'll never be my life. Never. Not for a day.
I can not, you know, otherwise I cease to exist.
How much I miss you. How much you do not know. I dry up my eyes to look at the rooms and spaces of the world where you're missing.
Sometimes I think seriously that the destiny should be challenged.

Perhaps it wasn't just a strange coincidence, how at the bottom of all seeming facts, was this real one - she and I were living our days in a similar trend.

She had not a lover in life; I had too many but one. Conclusively, we were a single heart apiece.

And if irony had to find a situational synonym - it lay in the fact, that she and I, were professional match makers.

As partners, not rivals.

How kickass was that!

From our initial days of bonding (or not?!), we were spotted 'together' too often to not prompt gossip. Luckily, our peers were a lot of bright people who soon figured we were the case of 'plain opposites' not the proverbial 'opposites that attract'.

Life is strange, it gives you the teeth but not the bread. I'm beautiful but inaccessible.
I love everyone but no one can tear this impenetrable membrane that covers me. Everyone love me but I love you.
Everyone love everyone but I love you.
Everyone love me but I did nothing but cry and feel revulsion, as I try in every way not to think about you.
Even if the night I always write of you. To you.
What have you special? Maybe you're just too far away. Perhaps the only creature with the most beautiful light I ever saw. You know how you shine? You know, Eveline? Someone ever told you about you that light, your light? And I hope not, I hope no one ever did because I would do it one day.
Love someday I will succeed, and I wish it were a certainty, not a poor promise, that the promises, you know, are so fragile. Almost like the two of us.
We are fragile, It is so. But this love, I swear, it is not. This love, I swear, is irreversible. No one can eradicate from the soul and is also a bit of a conviction.

As soon as the every-town-has-its-share-of snoopers were jaded and convinced we were not the next epic-love-story-in-the-making, we were left alone.
She, to her unbelievably boring life of routines and deadlines. Oh and, being good!
I, relieved at reestablishing my single-to-mingle credentials, in continuing to turn heads, for this newer, better reason.

I drink, dance, run, laugh, so loud that I have to keep my chest, I memorize the faces, over and over again, but then forget them in the blink of an eye, I'm late, later and later, sign on the agenda more and more tasks and events, I don't stop, for not having time to think about you. But you know love? It 's all incredibly useless.

The pain increases and you are always against the light and wind. The more I run, the more I hear you come to me.
So what have I got? In despair and agony what I got? It remains for me the low light of my room when I write.
Tonight my fingers burnt more than normal. I'm loving you so much that now I have found a way to reach you. And I swear I'll write a book. And that my love, you read it.
So if we have against the world with all these miles to divide us, you, of this love, in the end, you'll know.
Promised.

I miss you.

Edited by spln - 25 April 2011 at 2:21am

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

..kiran..-BeingAppy-a little faith_Sahra_niru273Angel-Jot.Wafahdreamer_dreamsbmtdluverwithout-fathomSanely_Insaneaish_punk

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "~..~ Story Day - Read & Vote ~..~[CLOSED] (Page 2)" in Writers Corner forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 24 April 2011 at 2:57pm | IP Logged

Using Excerpt #3

The Stranger Who Stole My Life. Literally.

You can't call me stupid for putting four suspicious murders that happen to take place around me and I cast them all off as coincidence. I said you can't!

None of them seemed related to me in any way and I didn't feel hunted either so my reasoning sounds very firm, thank you very much. Yes, there were a few times when I eerily felt I was being watched. You know, that corner of your eye thing but when you turn around, there's absolutely nothing there. Yeah, that. But I didn't tell anyone, I know what they would've said anyway 'You think someone's after you, Lia? Why on earth would they be after you?' blah blah blah. Honestly, I think paranoia was getting to me anyway.

But it wasn't until the fifth murder when everything changed. When all coincidences were rubbished and reality smacked me in the face. A little peek down a little alleyway and my life changed forever. It was there I saw a man effortlessly drive a pointy weapon into a man's left chest, as if he had done this countless times before. I let out a brief gasp and even over the nasty downpour of horrendous rain, the killer heard me and our eyes met. I've never seen eyes like that before, so cold, hard and nor was going to forget them in a haste either.

Now here I am, sitting with this frustrating artist, trying to identify this serial killer as painlessly as I can. Better said than done.

"Tell me more about the eyes." 

Passing me the glass of water, he pressed me for details, without a trace of urgency or haste. It wasn't a gesture of concern, because coming from him, it was like a receptionist's smile - something he was boringly and obligingly accustomed to doing, as part of his job. 

I wasn't mindful enough of his lack of sympathy, just right then. Quite thankfully instead, I drank in a large gulp of the chilled water. Then I took in a deep breath, and closed my eyes to remember what I would have given anything to forget - the sight of those eyes through the face mask...the translucent hazel that turned to steel when they narrowed to focus upon... 

My own eyes fell open with a start, a shudder passing through my spine. He sat looking at me intently, and the very distant comprehending part of my mind held onto the subconscious former belief - it wasn't out of concern, but routine. He was being merely patient with me, a crucial witness to this fifth murder case in the neighbourhood that had kept their hands full here at Scotland Yard this entire awful week of rainy afternoons. In this weatherly respect, today was no different. 

"They were cold," I whispered. My voice had refused to come full volume ever since the incident early this morning, sometime before the inset of dawn. 

"Blue?"

"Nuances of grey...they turned dark...very dark when he...when..." I inhaled sharply and ran a hand forcefully through the tangled mess of my long tresses. If I'd survived the sight of that ruthless stabbing, surely, I could survive speaking it out loud...?

"I see." 

Any other day, any other time, this man would have driven me over the edge. Why here I was, at all my nerves' end, and all he offer me was an 'I see'...? Sure! He could see nothing at all. Nothing! Unknowingly, I had worked myself into something of a breathlessness. Unknowingly also, I was scowling deeply, staring, or rather glaring at him. Perhaps he sensed it, for he met my eye, interrupting his professional strokes on the canvas, sketching the murder suspect.

"Are you alright?" 

There it was, the water glass yet again, raised up for me. I wanted to scream the obvious 'no I'm not!' right into his face; instead I held back and re-gathered my dissipating composure. I did however reject his attempt to drown my extreme discomfiture with mere cold water - what was I, a flushing system? 

"They were quite like yours," I told him bluntly staring into his eyes, and momentarily, the revelation of my own words shocked even me. 

"I think you may be right."

Paralysed with fear, I stayed rooted to my chair, even when all my senses were screaming at me to run. I stared into his eyes wide-eyed, the very same eyes I witnessed take another man's life just a few hours ago and probably by all means witness the same happening to me. Yet for the love of my life, I could not move to save it.

"Lithia, please, don't be afraid. I won't hurt you, not after this one last harm." The artist...murderer said, looking panic stricken himself.

"HELP!" Dammit! Even at a moment like this, my cry for plea barely made a noise loud enough to attract attention. Before I could scream again, a firm hand clamped across my mouth making my muffled screams sound like they were padded in cotton candy.

"Darling, please don't do that. I'm here to help you; I will do everything in my power to protect you. But for now, I have to do this one last thing. Please forgive me."

He pulled me close and caressed my cheek with his free hand before softly brushing his lips across mine. As much as I may have been shivering with the thought that I was to die in what should be the one of the world's safest place, I bizarrely found myself calmed at the soft touches of this ruthless killer. Oh the irony of it all. For days I've been petrified for my life and finally when I find my petrifier, I'm comforted by him. Is death always this twisted? He's a serial killer for God's sake and I'm his next victim in the bloody Scotland Yard of all places! At least he would be caught, there's no way he could leave without being noticed. But I didn't have time to swell over that. Before a long, he was nuzzling my collar muttering 'please forgive me' again when a sudden sharp pang surged down my neck making the world slowly faded to black.

I woke up with a heavy head feeling like I do after a drink fiesta. Groggy and paining, I opened my eyes but I could see nothing save pitch black. But I did feel heat, instantaneously knowing that a body was lying next to me, soft and warm, protecting me in a firm embrace. While I basked in the security, a voice from within reached me, a male voice, apologising like a broken record for the terrible act he committed. It was then the memory truck hit me at 100 mph bring forth fresh fears of the serial killer and my wounded neck. But as always, my body betrayed me. As I aimed to run, my body went rigid.

"I'm so sorry darling, I never meant to hurt you but this is for your best. Now relax my dear, I'm here to look after you." I knew the voice was coming from him, whoever he may be, but I also knew the voice wasn't coming from his mouth. It was like it was in my head, yet from him. I know I sound stupid, I must be mad. No, I must be dead and in hell, or why else would I be scared?

Slowly crawling away from him like a new born baby, I tried my best to figure out where I was and how to save myself. Primitively without dying. Informing the police and so on can come later. Actually, we were with the police. How the hell did he escape without notice?

"We're in my chambers, my dear, not hell, and the police have no hope in finding me. As far as I'm aware, I'm doing them a favour but you need not worry about that. Just come here and relax, all your questions shall be answered in due time." Again, the voice was planted in my mind.

"Keep out of my head!" I yelled, scrambling across the never ending bed. "You're a murder and you've kidnapped me. Take me back!"

"Lithia, I will do whatever you wish but for now, you must rest or you will put yourself at risk."

Suddenly feeling very venerable, fatigue took over me and I succumbed over his words. Staying where I was, I curled into a ball and desired nothing but sleep. "You better not try anything funny, mister, I know self defence!" He laughed, a hearty rumble from the pit of his stomach.

"Then I shall fill your dreams with sweet pleasantries. Sleep well, my love." He said, touching my thoughts. Infuriated, I fell asleep.

In no time, my stupid alarm clock blared announcing it was time I wake up. I hit the snooze button and tried to grasp my fading dream. It all seemed too real, that man, the murder, my comforter, how could they all be the same person? Secretly, my heart ached that he was dream, if only I could feel that security again. Dejected, I rolled over to get ready for school.

"Are you awake, my love?"

I froze. This had to be my imagination playing with me. He can't be real, my life can't be that exciting! Oh my God, he's a murderer! Run!

"I wish you didn't call me that. I killed because the situation demanded it of me, I do not do it for fun. One day you'll understand but 'til then, please don't call me a killer." He groaned into my head.

I don't know how to explain it, and as mad as I was that he continuously raided my thoughts, I, well I, believed him. This mind connection felt so pure, it didn't allow false threads to be passed. I could 'feel' him, not necessarily by touch but on a much higher level that words cannot explain. He obviously picked up on this as I could sense him swell with happiness.

"You must get ready for school. I shall be waiting for you there. Make sure you take these sunglasses."

"What I'll need sunglasses for, especially with this mysterious rainy season?"

"Your eyes will not have adjusted yet. Give it time."

"Wait. What do you mean you'll be at school?"

"You'll see." With that, he kissed my forehead and swiftly left allowing me to get ready for school.

School. Ugh. I hate school, damn education never seems to end. Still, one more semester and I'm free! I kept my eyes open at the parking lot, trying futilely to recognise 'him', knowing he could be any stranger here. I even tried the reception thinking he may be waiting there, nada. Walking into class late, I saw the head of English calling everyone to order.

Taking my place, he announced "Class, I have some bad news. Ms Simons has taken a few months sick leave," the class burst out into rounds of joy. "Okay, okay, settle down. But she has found a substitute teacher. Everyone, please welcome Mr Shade."

Substitutes are worse, they try to act all superior, uselessly marking their territory when in fact, they were more than the real teacher. Doodling on my book, I heard Mr Shade come in.

"Hello."

My eyes flew up to meet his. He was staring at me. Stunned, my pen dropped just after my jaw.

"Hello baby."

He looked different, not like the cold killer in the alleyway, nor like the annoying artist, but like, well there's no way to say it but he was gorgeous, perfectly sculpted, textbook perfect gorgeous. His golden pool of eyes held me entranced under his dark lashes while his beautiful strands of hair bounced with every step. His strong features, nor too bold neither too wimpish would have any eyes rove over them in wonder while his smile, oh that smile. Yes, he had to be the most amazing being I had ever seen.

He strode to take his place behind the desk and introduced himself to the class. Wearing black trousers with a fitted white shirt that clung to his body and toned all his muscles magically, he was an instant hit; all the girls drooled over him and the boys were in awe.

His eyes swept to where I was sitting. "Enjoying the view?" He murmured into my head. Embarrassed, I stared at my textbook totally forgetting that he could mind read. For the rest of the lesson I determined myself in taking notes, only taking a peek of him once his back was to the class. Did he have to wear that shirt, it was driving me crazy! For the remainder of the class, he set an essay question and sat down to some marking.

"You're very quiet. We didn't get to talk much las..."

"Who are you?" I demanded.

"I'm sorry, I never introduced myself. My name is Valen Justis Kane Nicholia Zaire Conti Alfes Ash. But you may just call me Valen."

"Wow. O-kay. I'm Lithia...Mist. That's about it."

"I know."

"Valen, I need to know. How much of my thoughts can you read? I need to know how much of my life it still private to me." I asked dishearteningly.

"It's not that I read them, more like sense them. I see images of what you want to say before the words are formed in your head. Let's just say that I know you think my shirt is too tight. Pervert." He chuckled.

Wholesomely embarrassed, I looked at my notes to divert my attention. "You're the pervert who's come to my school and professed his love to his student! You sick thing!" I screamed at him in my head.

"I thought you'd be upset at that but this is the only way I can see us spending time together so you can get used to us. Look at me, Lithia."

Compelled, I looked. Deep pools of ember took hold of me yet again. Memories of last night, his warmth and security burned through me, rough and raw once again. I quickly withdrew before I could get sucked within them beyond bounds.

"Look Valen, you're still some freak who kidnapped me'"

"Lithia'"

"Lia."

"Okay. Lia, you have no idea how much restraint I have to exercise when I'm around you. I admit I am no saint and even my patience has a limit so please meet me half way."

I looked at him and saw depression take over his face. He look so lost and sorry that I felt myself wavering. Sighing, "Okay. I'm not giving you a concrete yes but I'll try."

I could see him smile whilst pretending to mark.

"Lia, I need to be with you."

"What?" I laughed.

"Lithia," He announced out loud to the class. "I have your note about not completing your assignment. As punishment, you have a week's worth of detention."

"You jerk!" I screamed in my head. "I take everything back."

"Actually, make that two weeks and let it be an example to the rest of the class."

"Argh!"

The bell for end of class rang but I stayed seated for my 'detention'.

"Come up to the front, Lia."

Whilst I gathered my stuff, Valen got up and closed the door. I perched myself on his desk while with three strides, he closed the distance between us, cupping my cheeks in his firm hands. The tension was unbearable. I barely knew him yet I ached to kiss him. I understood his desire because I somehow felt it too. Part of me was terrified that I yearned this stranger so much while another just wanted to melt into him. How ridiculous all this was. All of a sudden he crushed me to his chest, wrapping his arms around me protectively. There I found the solace I had been looking for my whole life, the promise of friend who'll never let me go. Friend? When did Valen become a friend?

"Mia, I love you. I'll always be there for you but you need to give me a chance. You need to let what you know so far go and see me in a new light." He mumbled into my hair.

"How can I? I need answers, Valen. Until then, I can never fully trust you."

"Come home with me tonight, I shall answer whatever you ask."

"I can't'"

"Try."

"Valen'"

"Please baby, don't torment me like this."

"Fine. I'll meet you after school? At the car park?"

"It's a date!"

I rolled my eyes and left while he smiled rather proudly to himself. Valen's persona has shifted to the calm collected man I saw before that didn't seem to terrifying than his darker side. This lulled me into false security that made me stupidly trust him and agree to meet him alone.

The rest of the day passed in a blur. While I sat in the class after lunch, I anxiously I waited for the end of day bell, the bell that would finally lead to the making sense of my upside-down, wrongway-round life. I stared out the window in vain hopes of time passing when dark clouds gathered threatening to bring torrential rain again. But that's not all, lightening forked across the sky, brightening the bleak landscape for a brief moment followed by a deafening rumble. I sat rigid in my chair, frozen with fear. I had a phobia of storms, a real bad phobia. One that sends me off my rockers and into oblivion. I tried to connect with Valen but couldn't find him so I excuse myself from class with the excuse of feeling ill, which wasn't too hard as I was fully pale in the face. Walking into the first empty classroom, I positioned myself under the sturdy teacher's desk and rocked myself back and forth for comfort. Great fountains of tears continuously splurged from eyes as thunderous crashes rip across the room, filling the space with fear.

The hours passed by and the school closed down with none the wiser that I was trembling under an empty desk. I cry even harder. The storm seems to get closer, taking over my whole being when a final roaring crash nearly sends me fainting. Strong arms encase me protectively and I hear a familiar voice shout my name ...Valen. Cursing loudly, he picks me up and runs at high speed to the back of the school, kicks open the door and jumps down flights of stairs to the gym in the basement. There he lies me on the mat wrapping a blanket around me. The storm could barely be heard from here. Loosening my hands, I wrap then around him, burrowing my head into his chest and cry some more... in relief.

"I'm sorry." I whisper. I was so ashamed of my phobia. Looking up at him, I could see agony etched all over his face.

"I was going out of my mind with worry." He confessed, drawing me closer.

We huddled silently, waiting for the storm to pass, all the while, I could feel him stirring my mind, gently building up my strength. My heart fluttered as he kissed the top of my head.

"How are you feeling?" He asked softly.

"Stupid." I confessed. Just then a thunder loud enough to venture through the deep basement walls washed through making me shrink further in him.

"Talk to me." I blurted, trying to keep my mind off the storm. "You promised me some answers."

"Not today, you don't have the strength for it."

"But'"

"Lia, love, you're distress enough as it is. Tomorrow, once you've recovered, we will discuss this."

"You can't keep me in the dark forever, you know. I need to know."

"I know, just not now. You're not going to cry again, are you?" Glaring at him, he chuckled. "Good, my shirt's drenched."

Annoyed I scrambled away, folding my arms seriously. This set him off properly. His face began to crack up as his features slowly softened, wiping away the stress and worry of the day's events into a frenzied laughter. Composing himself, he pulled a serious expression before cracking up again.

"For God's sake, it wasn't that funny!" I snap at him.

"No, sorry. You're right. I don't know what came over me. Hysteria perhaps."

Awkwardly I shuffle away but he soon catches up and wraps his arms around me, yanking me to his chest. Relaxing into him, he pulls me down to the mat where I lazily lie on his shoulders allowing sleep to take over.

I woke up after God knows how long to yet another groggy head. I was getting suspicious about these heavy starts, what on earth was I doing while sleeping? It was dark outside but where on earth was I? In a bedroom, no doubt, but who's bedroom, in who's bed, in who's house? Casting my eyes about, they landed on a familiar jacket; a dark oak colour strewn causally over a rocking chair. Slipping out of the warm bed, I took it into my hands and smelt it. Yup, it was his.

So I was in Valen's room or more so, his house. But how did I get here? I certainly don't remember coming. And what exactly happened? Aah, yes; thunder, paranoia, Valen, it all came back. Groaning, I sighed at how much of a foolish spectacle I made of myself. What must he think of me?  I tried to connect to him but all I found was mental block. That was odd, never felt that before. Looking around, my eyes fell on a sheet of paper on the pillow next to the one I was lying on.

Gone out for a while. Will be back soon. Make yourself at home. Valen.

Right, maybe reading that note first would've put my nerves to rest. With time to kill, I decided to give myself a tour of the house. Walking out of the door, I ended up on the first floor. With stairs leading up and down, I took the latter walking into a sitting room. It was a lavish room, decorated in dark wood and cream furnishing. So Valen. It was a decent size as well; my whole apartment would fit into here! Looking out the window, the house was situated in a pretty little area with no more than two other mega houses in view. Curiosity taking the better of me, I stepped outside. Oh my! His house was mini mansion! The biggest of the lot! Made of grey bricks and standing so grand on its porch, I suddenly felt so inferior.

Walking back to house to escape my feeling of being so small and worthless, a noise at the side of the house grabbed my attention. A noise such as a muffled yell and gurgling. Of course, if anything is known of me, it's that I'm way too nosey for my own good. I lightly stepped to the side of the house to the source of the noise and what I saw expelled my breath and buckled my legs under me.

There were two figures, one at mercy and one at malice. One was hovering over the other, instigating the most outrageous pain, pain obviously visible in the weaker members' eyes. Distraught took over me letting a slight whimper escape my lips. And then our eyes met, the malice and mine.

It was those same cold, dark grey eyes I once saw before. How could I have forgotten what this man was? Of all the love he professed for me, how could I just cast away what he had done? Especially now, with a lifeless body in his hands and blood caked all over his mouth. How could I have fallen for Valen?

A high pitched scream stuck in my throat, my legs frozen stiff, I crumbled into my betraying body again. And cried. I loved him, I knew that more than right know, but he was a monster. There was nothing human in those eyes, sucking the life out of someone else's neck. I cried more than I did at my mother's funeral, I had been prepared for that but this, this was next to impossible. What was Valen doing? Why was he doing it?

I looked back at him and saw his features soften. But as I saw him take one step, my lower half let loose and I ran. For the first time in my life, I ran as fast as my fear could take me but my hopes left as swiftly as they came. He was standing in front of me. How could he? I left him way behind, I didn't even see him run past me! I turned to run the other way but he was there as well. Wherever I turned, he was there! How was he doing it? Was it a figment of my imagination?

"Lia, trust me, I won't hurt you. Just hear me out."

With no other option left, I turned for the house and locked myself in. I closed every window I could and sat on the stairs staring at the door.

"Lia, open the door. I can explain." Valen pleaded, banging softly on the wooden door. I continued to stare it, clutching myself, rocking to and fro, waiting.

"Lia, open the God damn door before I break it down!"

I stood braced, no doubt he would break it down.

"Lia, I'm only going to count to three. One. Two. Three!"

The door ripped off its hinges as if it was made of polystyrene making me jump up in defence. Valen's dark gaze swept over me before I ran upstairs seeking safety. The bathroom door ajar, I ran in, locked it and hid under the table, inching further away until I hit the cold wall. The door rattled.

"Lia, please open the door or I will have to break this one as well."

I stayed silent before another door fell victim to his rage. As devastatingly gorgeous as he was, Valen was seriously starting to scare me, despite his coaxing comfort. He had just battered two doors to get to me, what was he going to do when he finally found hands on me?

Shutting off all mental connections, I blinked back tears and stared at him, waiting for his move. Suddenly, his expressions bore that of concern and he backed to the other side of the bathroom, where knelt down and massaged his temples.

"Lia, I can't control myself around you. If you're distressed, I feel it too and I go all Frankenstein. Please don't freeze me out, my ego can't take it. I will explain everything, anything you want to know, I will tell you but please don't be scared of me. I will kill myself before I hurt you."

Even though he was avoiding my gaze, Valen looked a picture of utter rejection. Amidst all the crazy happenings, I felt terrible for him. I could sense his rage, despair and paralysing fear. Was this love making me feel like this because he sure as hell didn't deserve my sympathy. Not after what I witnessed.

"Say something, anything, or please let go of your mental block. I need you, Lia"

"Explain everything, Right from the beginning. What were you doing in that alley, not just now but when I first saw you? And don't you dare come any closer. Come and I will scream."

"Okay, I will tell you but before I do, you must keep an open mind. Wait till I finish before'"

"Just tell me!"

"Fine. In a nutshell...I'm a vampire."

I laughed. I laughed like I never laughed before. I laughed so hard, my eyes watered and my stomach hurt but I continued laughing. Of all the things I saw, of all I've heard of and been through, this had to take the cake. Vampire? Come on! Fury took over me making me laugh further, a maniac cackle refusing to budge.

"Valen, if you're going to crap about this then don't. I WANT THE TRUTH!" I screamed as loudly as I could, the echo of the bathroom helped massively. Just then, Valen sighed, threw his head back, running his hand over his hair and looked at me. What happened next, I don't think there's a word for the feeling. Right before my eyes, Valen's eyes took that cold steel look again, his aura turning very dark and most grotesquely, his top canines grew. They grew just an inch but looked as good as any other weapon and of course, very vampire-ish.

I stared, dumbfounded, petrified - Valen was a vampire?! No, he can't be, there's no such thing but his teeth, and in the alleyway, all that blood? And I loved him, I can't love a vampire.

"I so sorry love, but I couldn't make you believe without showing you." For once, Valen looked nervous and his voice shook.

"You're...you...vampire?"

"Yes. Is that okay?"

"I dunno. I mean, no. You hurt people. Kill them. Get away from me! HELP!"

"Lia? LIA!" Quick as a flash, Valen's hand was clamped over my mouth like he had done once before but with such frightful force, I thought I was going to break. "Calm down, you said you would hear me out. Now, I'm going to remove my hand but only if you promise not to shout again. Do you promise? If not, my hand will go back and I won't remove it until I finish speaking."

Nodding my head, I promised to be quiet. It's not like I had much choice anyway, I rather not have him man handle me.

Valen removed his hand, went back to the other side of the room and began his story.

"I'm a vampire, have been for the last eight centuries. I was just passing by this dainty little town when I felt this unfamiliar tug at my heart. I've only heard of the feeling before but I never thought it would ever happen to me. I ignored it first but the irritation gnawed at me, pulling harder as time passed. So I eventually gave in and followed it. And it lead me to you. As soon as I saw you, I knew you were 'the one'. You see, vampires 'mate' for life. They'll spend a lifetime looking for the one but once found, there's no going back and you were the one for me, I can't explain how I know but I do. And I think you know that too now."

I didn't want to admit it, the revelation only came to me earlier on today but yes, I knew.

"Anyway, so I've been following you around, which is a risk in itself, but others heard of me finding my soul mate and that is when all hell broke loose. There were plots on your life'"

"What?!"

"Oh. Yes. I forgot to mention that I'm the crowned prince of the Vampire Court."

"You're what?"

"Yes, just a minor detail. The title means nothing to me. So when others heard of you being the next queen to-be, naturally with vampires being the irrational things we are, there was line of people queuing to kill you and while I was around, there was no way I was going to allow that to happen. So now you see, the previous murders were me saving your life. I was just staking the dead, nothing more. I do not kill unless it's necessary."

"So that's what happened outside?"

"Umm, no. That was me feeding."

If I had been breathing short, incapacitated breaths before, then I totally stopped now.

"Lia, you've got to let your human morals go. Vampires need blood to survive and I've been recently giving you so much of my blood that I..."

"You've been doing what?"

"Okay, here's the part I was avoiding but I can't keep it hidden forever. I'm actually surprised you haven't realised yourself."

"What are you on about? What else are you hiding?"

"Well, in another nutshell...you're a vampire too."

"Okay Valen, I have been accepting all this crap now because I have to. I see your teeth but me? You seriously think I'll believe that?"

Just then, Valen pierced his own wrist and shoved it under my nose, blood oozing out of this punctures. I felt the back of my throat burn and my mouth water and for the first time in my life, my fangs burst out of my mouth. Ashamed, I covered my mouth while tears spilled from my eyes.

"What have you done to me?"

"I'm sorry baby, but it was the only way I could save you. Why else do you think we can mind connect and have you never wondered why you've never been hungry since we've met?"

Now come to think of it, I haven't thought of food in, I don't know how long.

"It's because I've been feeding you my blood in your sleep, hence why you wake up so phased out. You being a vampire is also the reason why your eyes hurt and everything else that's changed in your life. I'm so sorry baby, don't look at me like that. I love you so much, it makes me do crazy things like break doors down, even in my own house, impersonate teachers, sketchers and whatnot."

"But, how could you ruthlessly bleed someone to their death just to keep yourself alive? How could you expect me to do the same?!"

"No, I never bleed someone to their death. Never ever, not unless I aim to destroy them but even then I don't take their filthy blood, a stake is enough for that. I only drink to quench my thirst, always leaving a human alive, never taking more than needed. Trust me on that. The girl outside is fit and fine, her memory has been slightly modified for her to forget the incident of course but she's still good. And I would have never taken from her in the first place if it hadn't been for you drinking me dry moments before."

"I would never."

"But you did."

I did, didn't I? I'm a vampire and I didn't know it. How had life come to this? Am I going to have to 'drink' from people now and live forever? I know only of vampires from stories and nasty movies, were they all true?

"I will explain all that in due time but for now, I think you should rest. All this is much to take in, I know." Valen assured, picking up hints from my mind.

"Don't you dare come next to me."

"Lia, I need you and you need me. We're kindred spirits and you need help with transitioning into this new life but more than that, we really need each other. Pull away from me and both of us will crumble away from life. We can't live with another, we're not just soul mates, we're more than that. You can feel it, I know you can because we're connected like no other out there. I love you Lia, more than love itself. I can't bear life without you, please, come to me."

Taken aback, I looked up at him and burst into fresh round of tears.

"What have I done now?" He cried out, crawling under the table and crushing me against his chest.

"Everything and nothing. How am I going to cope, how will I go on? You've turned me into a vampire without my knowledge, I don't want to live like this."

"I apologise a thousand times and over again. I couldn't really help myself. I tried to refrain, tried to move away from you but then you recognised me at Scotland Yard and I couldn't help myself. I bit you without even knowing myself. But I promise with everything I have, I will always be there for you. For all eternity to come."

"I know."

And we sat there, Valen gently stroking my hair, occasionally brushing my mind with comforting thoughts while I contemplated all I learnt. I snuggled into his chest, breathing in his unique scent while his muscles tense around me, protectively crooning me into his embrace. Then he moved us out of the bathroom, lifted me up and carried me out of the bathroom into his room. Placing me in the middle of his bed, he sat beside me.

"Do you still feel awful?"

"More than awful but I'll get there."

"Sleep."

"Will you stay?"

"Always."

Lying back down, he pulled me into his chest where I found that solace I found once before.

"So anything else you could do? Any cool tricks?" I asked, randomly playing my fingers on his chest.

"Umm, I can control the weather?"

"Really? Wow. That's kinda cool."

"I guess it is."

"Wait, was it you who brought on that homicidal thunder storm?"

"Guilty. Sorry, I wasn't in the best of mood then. Haven't been the whole week, hence why the town's mini monsoon."

"Why, what happened?"

"Better you not know."

Searching his mind, I found my answer. "Another attack on my life. Thank you."

Pulling me closer, he smiled. And we lay there till sleep found our eyes.

Looking back at Valen, my heart felt like it was going to burst. He was so stunningly beautiful, lying silently asleep. Unable to help myself, I reached out and brushed a rouge strand of hair back. He stirred, instinctively curving his arms around me, pulling me into his chest. Placing my head on his shoulder, I splayed my arm on his muscular chest and inhaled his scent. Nothing could top the peace, love and serenity I was feeling now.

I have no idea what the future will bring. I don't even have a clue what tomorrow will hold. But I know, with every fibre in my body, that Valen will be with me, every step of the way, just as he promised. Yes, he may have turned me into a vampire. Yes, he may have lied to me about it, but I love him too much now to condemn him for it for too long. Besides, this way ensures us spend all of eternity together, what else can I ever ask for? What shall come tomorrow, can come. For now, I was happy.

Edited by spln - 25 April 2011 at 2:22am

The following 19 member(s) liked the above post:

-applepie-..kiran..-BeingAppy-ahsimaa little faithniru273Angel-Jot.SmileyfaceWafahScatteredCastlewithout-fathom.vrshn.dreamer_dreamsbmtdluvertes_v1nyxxaish_punk-Jahnvi-Sanely_Insane

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 24 April 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged

Using Excerpt #2

Spice Of Life

HI MEET THE HERO OF OUR STORY MR ARMAAN ?AAN AANN DON'T THINK THAT HE IS NOT A DOCTOR HE IS AN ENGINEER BUT HAMARI STORY KA IS SE KOI LENA DENA NAHI HAI HE IS WRITING SOMETHING LETS READ IT 

That was my wedding day 4th April 2009 .These girls "na" They  complete you at every stage of your life when you are a kid they are there as a mother ?,when you are a little older they are there as sister to become your punching bag or make you there punching bag?,they help you as a friend and then finally complete you as a wife ?,then they change you when enter in your life as a daughter,?.I HAVE ENJOYED ALL NOW WAITING FOR THE LAST CHANGE FOR MY DAUGHTER ?, come fast baby ?dad is waiting for you ??.

(11th April 2010)

;

PAGES FROM HIS DAILY DIARY

Ahana is a little upset with me but what was my fault ???I know ?I know I didn't inform hr before leaving the town?kaise manaoon use ?.she didn't  know how much I love her ?.jab woh naraz hoti hai  I feel so devastated ?.jata hoon kuch karta hoon use manata hoon

(25th December, 2007)

OH GOD woh abhi tak naraz hai ?yeh larkian bhi na ?pata nahi kis mati ki bani hoti hain ?naraz hona tu inki hobby hota hai ?.oh ho let me correct myself ?sirf naraz hona nahi rona ,rona bhi unki fav hobby hota hai ?,yeh girls bhi na ?It is so difficult to  tackle them one cant predict ,what they are upto, everytime they do the stuff one cant imagine even, flip their mood like a coin ,,,?.pata nahi allien hain kya ?kisne kaha tha is larki se pyar karo(don't take medostana way)??.. ab bhugtu ?.New year start hone se pehle use mana kar he rahon ga ?.

(26th December 2007)

thanx God woh mani toh..,her smile is like an angel ,I was missing it like hell,she always make me feel special, she is the most beautiful woman in the world one day she is going to be mine , trust me she is going to be mine pretty sooon?. YES I AM GOING TO PROPOSE HER ON NEW YEAR'S NIGHT ?,

(27th December 2007)

Aaj mujhe use purpose karna hai  ?but kuch hoga tu nahi ?I am a little scared ?kahin mein apni dost ko na khoo doon ?.I am really nervous , agar woh mujh se pyar na karti hui?agar usne inkaar kar diya ?.but I don't want to regret about this in my life I have to tell her that I LOVE HER ?yeah I have to tell her ??.  

(31st December 2007)

At Night:

ARMAAN IS ON HIS WAY TO THE NEW YEAR'S PARTY AHANA IS SITTING NEXT TO HIM HE WANTS TO TELL HER HOW MUCH HE LOVE HER BUT IS COMPILING THE WORDS ATLAST HE GETS THE COURAGE TO PURPOSE HER AT THE MOMENT SHE SHRIEKS STOPPP

Ahana;"stoppp"

Armaan;suddenly applies break "kia hua "

Ahana;"ice cream?I need that ice cream plzzz "

Arman:"okk okk sit in the car I ll go get it for you'

Ahana:"thankyou Armaan you are the best?? one scope of mango two scopes of chocolate chip and vanilla cream wafers with sweet crunch and bunties"

Armaan;smiles at her long list"okk maam I am going "

Arman has gone to the icecream parlour at the other side of the road he is looking at her innocent face , she is looking at him like a child waiting for her favourite toys he smiles ,she has come out of the car as she is desperate to get her ice cream , he  gets her icecream and start moving towards his car from the other side of the road there is a car driven by some drunk boys, they are driving rashly Ahana is unaware of the danger Arman has sensed it she is moving towards him and he want to stop her suddenly he shouts ahanaf and pushes her aside a loud noise in the air and she shouts his name

Ahana:"Armaaan????????.."

In no time he is coming to the ground ?.there is  blood all over the spot ..he is bleeding and pointing toward something she rushes towards him and calls his name

Ahana;"Armaan ankhen kholo kia hua Armaannn?."

Armaan ;in  feeble voice saying something and pointing towards something "ge..t,??. ..T?th..attt.."

Ahana;"kia Arman bolo bolo Armaan kia "suddenly realizes he is pointing towards something she gets that , rushes and finds a little box ,she gets that and comes to him

Ahana;"yeh lo Arman ? Armaan bus ambulance arahi hai Arman tum thek ho na Armaaan plz zz akhen kholo ?"people have gathered there she shouts again "koi ambulance bulaooo?.."

Armaan;"..this?.s  ?..iss?.s   fff?or  yyyouuu  ?.opennn ittt"

She opens the small box having a small crustal heart with a gold chain in its middle n the pendal having a paper rolled inside she unrolls it and it is written on that paper

"I love you more than my life ,still for the upcoming years would you like to be my friend or prefer to be my wife?"

Ahana;"Armaannn ????"she also loves him more than anything but never thought that she would say that in such conditions "I will always prefer to be your wife Armaan"

she cries and puts her hand in his hand in the meanwhile Ambulance comes and he is taken to the hospital Arman is taken to the emergency room and she is standing outside After a while doctor comes and tells her that he is out off danger now and she can meet him

Ahana;enters the room Armaan is still sleeping he is having few stiches on his head and just a mere dislocation of his elbow joint, she moves near him and see him sleeping ,she caress his hair a little he moves a bit and then opens his eyes slowly

Ahana;"kaise ho ab? "

Armaan ;"tum pass?? ho bohattt accc..ha ho?on"says with pauses

Ahana;"do you know what time is it"

Arman moves his head right to left and says"no"

Ahana;"its 12;00 o'clock HAPPY NEW YEAR this is the year in which we are going to be together a new start for both of us"

Armaan :"nods approvingly"

After 2 Days:

Armaan is at home again writing his diary

A new beginning of my life  with the rise of the new sun of this year , this is going to be the best start of a year , a new dawn ,a new life. I have got the best of all , my love , my life she said yes , Thank you God you are the best of all , I don't know what to do I am so happy finally iam getting what I always prayed for , my love is mine ??kal he AYESHA  se yeh baat share karta hoon churail bohot naraz ho gi new year night pe accident ki wajah se phone bhi nai kar paya bohat gusa ho gi woh

(3RD JANUARY 2008 )

Next Day:

Armaan; "HELLO?..yehh yeah  i?but ?lis..ten "Someone is scolding him at the other end

Sis;"Now you have got time to call me ?.agai tumhe behan ki yaad ?haan haan kuch kaam hoga waise mujhe phone klarne ki kia zaroorat hai tumhe ?.."

Arman ;"Ho gaya tumhara now can I say something ?it was just a three days tour ?that's why was unable to call you ??(she doesnot know about the accident)?.aur tum bhi tu wahan ja ke mujhe bhool gai ho ?"

Sis ; "acha mein bhoolll gai hoon Arman goat escaping mat karo "

Armaan; "acha baba dant ti he raho ge yeah baat bhi karo gi "

Sis; "kaise ho tum ?zada kamzoor tu nahi ho gaye mere peeche "

Armaan;" bohat theek hoon aur bohat bohat khush hoon  tum ye batao wapis kab arahi ho "

Sis;"probably on 7 January tumhare dost ko koi kaam agaay hai is liye delay hai yeh maat samajhna mujhe ghooma phira raha hai "

Armaan; "tum girls bhi na ?always complain he karti hoo?"

Sis; "ohh you super cool boys khane ka aik nawala tak tu bagair complain kiye halak se utarta nahi "isme namak zada hai?."isme mirche kam hain?.."yeh sabzi kase pakai hai ?yeh alooo kion pakke hain ????..aur hume complain ka keh rahe ho"

Armaan ;"ohh not again tum girls se squabbling mein kaun jeet sakta hai ?but jaldi ao mein ne  aik bohot bari good news hai tumhare liye "

Sis;' kia?. kia ?..abhi baato na ?plzzz plzzz plzzz ""

Armaan; "phone pe nahi tum jaldi se aao phir bataoon ga "

(8th January 2008)

Armaan;"7th  ka keh ke 8th  koarahi ho "

Ayesha ;"yeh kia hua yeh sir pe chot kaise lagi yeh bazo per bandage kia hua Armaan"asks worriedly

Armaan;"arre kuch nahi hua chota sa accident ho gaya tha"

Ayesha ;"chota sa accident itni chot lagi hai tumhe tum airport kion ae hume lene ?kab lagi ye chot"

Armaan;"bohat purani ho gai hai jab tum apne hubby ke sath honeymoon pe thee tab lagi thi ab tu stitches out hone wale hain ?apni baat karo na ?aur woh mera bechara dost kaahan hai waheen tu nahi mar kar phek aee"

Ayesha ;"tumhara dost arah hai saman mein kuch reh gaya tha woh lene gaya hai ?woh woh agaya "

Ryaan(Armaan's brother in law comes);"hi yar ?khonkhawar sherni ke sath tu mein gaya tha injured tum kaise ho gaye kis se pit kar ae hoo?"

Armaan;"bus yoon samjho aik sherni idhar bhi mil gai thi "

Ryaan :"not bad ?.kaun hai woh hame bhi tu paata chale"

Ayesha ;"aate he ho gaye shoro tum, dono Ryaan  woh bag utha raha hai mana karo use chot lagi hai use"

Ryaan;"lo bhaeee sale sahab hamari duty shoro ho gai tunhari behan tumhare samne kisi aur ko ghaas nahi dale gi "

Armaaan:"yeh tu hai"

Ryaan ;"I am jealous"

AYESHA ;"kia becahre ko kisi ki nazar lag gai ho gi ghar ja kr is ki nazar utar ti hoon aur is k liye soup banati hoon"

Armaaan:in his mind "Ayesha  ka bayesha hua soup ohh shittt bacna hai Armaan tu kuch soch"??"abhi tu tum ae ho araam karo soup hotel se ajaye ga"looks at Ryaan for help

Ryaan;(knows that Ayesha  is an awfully bad cook)"Kia yar Ayesha  ab tum banao gi hotel se he lete jate hain na I am sure Armaan ne time pe khana khana ho ga"?hai na Armaaan"

Armaan;'yeah yeah strictly at 3 o'clock aadha ghanta hai kaise banao get um itni jaldi hotel se he le chalte hain "

Ayesha ;'aesi baat hai tu theek hai'

BOTH HAVE A SIGH OF RELIEF

At Night:

AYESHA ;'tm ne mujhe kia good news deni thi"

Armaan;'Ayesha  I am in love "

AYESHA ;"whattt?say it again "

Armaan:"yeah iam in love actually I am in love "

AYESHA :"I cant believe it ..Armaan YOU ARE IN LOVE ?IN ACTUAL ?.i am so happy for you " hugs him

Ryaan:"congrats man ?kaun hai woh??????"

Armaan ;"Ahana .."

AYESHA ;"Our Ahana ?.she is so pretty "

Ryaan;"did you tell her about this?"

Arman;"yeah I proposed her on new years night"

AYESHA :"AND SHE SAID YESSS?"in a high pitched voice full of happiness

Armaan;"yess she did "

Ryaan:"ab yeh bhi bata do shadi kab hai "

Armaan;"ab baqi kam AYESHA  ka hai ?woh he uske parents ke pass jayegi aur sab kare gi ok Ayesha "

Ayesha :"yeah yeah now its all up to me "

WITHIN FEW WEEKS THEY GOT ENGAGED AND NOW ITS THEIR WEDDING DAY  

Armaan;'"aik tu yeh tie na mujh se nahi bandh ti shadi ke liye yeh suit aur tie zaroori kion hota hai waise nahi kar sakte"?"ahana ?ahana listen na "shouts her name

Ahana;"kia hai "

Armaan;"yeh tie bandh do na nahi bandhti mujh se"

Ahana;"aik tu tum bhi na  Arman choti choti batoon ke liye bhi mujh per dependent ho sab AYESHA  ka kasoor hai usne tumhe kam ki adat he nahi dali"searching for his tie in the cupboard

Armaan; "kam ki adat dali hoti tu is waqt tum se romance ka chance milta kia "

Ahana;"Arman is waqt tumhe romance sujh raha hai ?we are getting late "

Armaan; "koi bat nahi aaj agar deir bhi ho jae gi tu sab haamara intezar karen ge akhir aaj hamari shadi hai"coming close to her

Ahana ;"tu tumhe mujhe officially ghar lane ki koi jaldi nahi hai"

Armaan;"aap tu officially is dil dimag ki malik hain aur kia chahiye aap ko"holding her hand and coming closer

Ahana:"acha dialogues marna band karoo aur jaldi batao yeh red tie yeh yeh wali?"

Arman;"jo aap ko pasand ho woh bandh dejiye ab tu aap he ki marzi chale gi"

Ahana:"I guess yeh red wali achi hai?. "started making a knot of his tie he is trying to be naughty with her

Ahana;"seedhe khare raho Arman "

Armaan:"acha abhi shadi mein tu time hai aik baar rehersal ker len"

Ahana:"kis cheese ki rehersal?"says unknowingly

Armaan;"khana pakan e ki zahir si baat hai itna romantic mahool hai tu aik bar is kamre mein aik kiss"comes closer

Ahana;"MR within few hours you will get the permission to do it officially tab tak ke liye zaar fasla rakhiye"says and pushes him away

Arman;"aik bar na Mrs"

Ahana;"Armaan nahi ?.."

Arman; "kia yaar aaj hoti koi modern kism ki girl friend tu maza ajata kia mein phas gaya tumhare sath"irritates her

Ahana;"acha tumhe is waqt dosri larkian yad arahi hain ok kisi aur I taraf dekha bhi na tu jan nikal doon gee"  

Suddenly they hear some loud noise

*CRASH*

AYESHA ;"Get the hell OUT of my kitchen!" 

He choked, and gasped, struggling to get her attention as startled by the sudden loud sound she nearly strangled him with the noose of the tie she was helping him with.

"Oh my god," she whispered, hurriedly undoing it and looking wide eyed as he rubbed his throat. "I'm so sorry, I just... what was that sound?"

"I don't..." he coughed, and cleared his throat rubbing it lightly some more, "It's alright. And I don't know. Let's go see."

"What's going on down..." he begun loudly, gliding down the stairs as she followed him.

They both heard her voice - his sister, her friend - presumably yelling at her husband - their common friend.  

Ayesha ;"aik kaam kaha tha tumhe just a little one you have spoiled all of it  "

Just as the two of them made it to the bottom of the stairs, they saw the poor guy duck behind the wooden cutlery cabinet. And then they saw his attacking wife walk out, hands on her hips, murder in her eyes. 

"Why exactly are we being treated to this aggressive intimacy today of all days?" He asked them, more his sister, than her husband, out of a default sense of loyalty to old time fraternity.

"Bhai!" she half wailed through her obvious anger. "I wana kill him I hate him!"

Folding her arms across her chest she glared at the accused man she otherwise, very often claimed to be madly in love with. Well, 'I Love You' were three over rated words anyways. The blamed and assaulted husband on this note, peeked at him from beneath hooded eyes, shaking his head with a sheepish guilt. 

"What did he do?" She, his own fiance and soon-to-be-wife in the next couple hours, intervened that moment.

"He ruined my biggest and best batch of cupcakes, when all he had to do was turn off the oven in the 10 minutes after I left to shower and get dressed." she said gritting her teeth and blowing at the curl over her eye in anger.

They looked towards their friend, her husband - she with the slightest frown of disapproval and he with a shrug of sympathy, both awaiting his explanation. 

"It was the Super Bowl final... I... forgot."

Ayesha ;"aik tu I am fed up of this cricket mania. The game was last night. They didn't even win it, your favorites! It was some rubbish news about the rival coach's great glory in having his boys win the big game which was his last with them as a coach. WOH BLOODY CARES!" There were two people in that room, woh would have liked to disagree with her, the two men. But they heard the warning challenge in her raised pitch, and knew better than to be foolish.

"Why didn't you just preset the timer on the oven?" He tried, tentatively, not happy to be adjudicating this fight scene, but unable to forgo the brotherhood and target his mate already. His sister seemed too volatile just that second, or he'd have pointed out also, that Super Bowl was like, 'The' Super Bowl . And cupcakes were... well, just cupcakes.

"Are you serious?" Uh-oh. That was his fiance

. So much for sticking up with ones fraternity. "I've been telling you for a week that the oven's timer needs fixing, and you've been stalling it because you had 'countless other errands' for the wedding. But surely, you didn't forget?!"

"Look I'm sorry. Really. How about I go and buy some to make up? Every kind they have at the store. I HEARD ABOUT SOME REALLY GOOD BAKERS LAST FRIDAY I HAVE EATEN THERE ??" The husband said, re-entering the conversation with what he thought was a very generous offer. Too bad his wife didn't think so.

AYESHA ;"I did Granny's hardest recipe. I've been at it all morning, because I wanted to do something special for my brother's wedding. And his favorite cupcake-cake at the reception had seemed like a plan. Until now." That did it. Both her husband, and her brother hung their heads low, dutifully.

ARMAAN:"THANX GOD GUESTS BACH GAYE " mutters winks at his friend and brother in law thanking him for his work

Ahana;"That was awfully thoughtful of you honey. Please don't let these two hopeless losers ruin your mood. I'm very touched, that you thought so much about it, and so is your brother." He nodded vehemently at her prompting, in his sister's direction, then went back to hanging his head.

It wasn't enough for redemption. With a last of disgusted and upset looks, the ladies walked out on them, first his sister, then her, and he didn't dare remind the latter, that she still had to do his tie. So much for having caught the chance to romance his gorgeous bride, and steal one last kiss of her before the priest officially pronounced her so, and allowed him the rights!

He was wise enough to know there was nothing to salvage in that opportunity now. Turning back to his mate of all ages, and brother-in-law of more recent times, he asked, "What was this news about the coach again? That good for nothing gloat is still going on about his..."

Ahana;"I can hear that." It startled him so, that he nearly jumped out of his skin. Gosh indeed - had she really?! He waited, expecting more...

"Welcome to 'hubbyhood'." His friend whispered meanwhile, careful that it could remain strictly between the two of them. "You still have an hour to change your mind before we leave for the venue," he teased.

"Right. As if." He replied making a wry face. Then automatically his expression turned softer. "I'd trade this day for nothing in a million years. Not after what its taken me to get here."

Ryaan;"bacho abhi bhi waqt hai bhag ja mere bhai bach ja nahi tu umar qaid pakki hai ?."

Armaan;"bacna he hota tu yeh saza qabool kion karta is saza mein jo maza hai woh azadi mein kaahan"

Ryaan;"bare pukhta (firm commitment) irrade hain okk bacha bast of luck"

Arman:"waise thanx for saving my guests"

Ryaan;"yeah nahi tu jitna bura khana tumhari behan banati hai use khane ke baad tu sab hospital mein he milte"

Arman:'yeah absolutely right waise yeah intentional mistake thi yeah unintentionally you have saved m guests ?"

Ryaan:"such bolon tu ALLAH ki meher bani thi nahi tu aap ki behan tu sab ko food poisoning karwane ka mukamal intezam kar chuki theen last time ka yaad hai jab woh HOT SHOT SOUP bana tha"

Arman;"not again us ke bare mein tu soch kar bhi mujhe vomiting hoti hai kia tha woh soup mujhe tu hath dhone ke baad ka pani lag raha tha"

Ryaan;"tum tu bach gaye ho bacho us ko jo har mahine khana pakane ka shauk charhta hai uska direct victim mein banta hoon"

Arman;"koi bat nahi mere dost muhabbat bhi aap ko un se hui thi ab kuch tu bardasht karna he pare ga"

Ryaan;"koi nahi ab tum bhi hamare sath agae ho beta hubbyhood is going to embrace you within few hours?..ohhh shit muje cup cakes lene jana tha "

Armaaan ;"jao jao aaj mein tu araam karoon ga groom hoon aaj sab se special hoon"

Ryaan;"tum betho aur apna yeh grrom hone ka charm enjoy karo  I am leaving nahi tu tumhari behan mujhe katal kar de gi "

Armaan;"best of luck man"

AFTER AN HOUR

AYESHA ; Armaan chalo its too late now

Armaan;mein tu kab ka ready hoon apni fav bhabi ko bulao woh he deir kara rahi hai

AYESHA ;Its her wedding day Arman don't you dare to say even a word about her she has all the rights to take as much time she wants

Armaan; shadi se pehle he uski side pe hogai ho shadi ke baad tu mujhe bhool he jao ge not fair (making a cute face )

Ayesha  ; ohh don't try to be clever with me

THEY HEAR A SHRIEK

Ahana;Armannn?..Ayesha aaa

Both look at each other and then rush towards  her room

Ayesha ; kiaa hua ???????

Armaan;are you alright ?

AHANA;"yeh dekho"pointing towards the broken heel of her shoe .

Ayesha ; ohh noo ab kiya ho ga

Armaan; kia hua aur jote nahi hain koi bhi pehan lo jaldi karo we are getting late

Ahana;without my wedding shoe no how can even think about getting married

Arman; excuse me for a mariage a bride and a groom are needed not most importantly okkk

Ayesha ; how rude Armaan how can you even think like that she is THE bride  she has to wear the best

Armaan; "arghhh you girls and your fashion tantrums jo karna hai karo "   

Ayesha ; "I will do something at my own ??.Armaan  just go and check the car "After half an hour they are sitting in the car and this time the car has said a big nooo

Armaan; ab ise kia ho gaya

Ayesha ; "aik tu yeh tumhari khatara kitni bar kaha tha ise theek karalo but tum tu tum ho sunte thora he ho kisi ki "

Armaan; "don't you dare to say anything about my baby she is the best car in this wohle world"

Ayesha  ; "ohh your best car hmmm"

Armaan; thanx god dekhga start ho gai

ATLAST THEY ARE MARRIED NOW EVERYTHING IS AS GOOD AS ONE CAN IMAGINE , YUP THAT WAS 4TH APRIL 2009 THEIR WEDDING DAY FULL OF TROUBLES NAD LOVE ,,?AFTER 6 MONTHS Ayesha  HAS DELIEVERED A BABAY BOY ARMAAN IS UPSET AS HE  LOST THE BET WITH AHANA ,?HE WANTED A BABY GIRL AND HERE IS A NBABY BOY

Ayesha ; "he is completely like you Armaan"

Armaan; "I am not talking with you ,you made her win "

Ahana is laughing at his innocence

Armaan; "see she is laughing at me "making a childish face

Ahana; I won Mr supercool

Ayesha ;" but Arman think in  a broader perspective actually addition of a boy in your team would strengthen your boys team "

Armaan;"yeahhh in actual girls team has lost I won he can play basket ball with me he wouldnot gossip ?.give me my champ Ayesha  "TAKING HIS NEPHEW IN HIS ARMS "hi champ whats up ??"

Ayesha ; "ab Ahana tum baby girl le kar ana ta ke hamari girls team bhi strong ho "

ARMAAN IS GIGGLING WITH HIS NEW BUDDY AND BOTH ARE LAUGHING AT HIS INNOCENCE

After Almost a Year:

Ahana; "Armaan whats the plan now"

Armaan; "abhi tu yeh kaam khatam karna hai phir shower lena hai phir khana khana hai CRICKET MATCH dekhna hai phir umhare saath masti karni hai aur phir so jana hai "

Ahana; "I am not asking about your daily routine I am asking about our I was thinking we should start doing some future planning"

Armaan; "is waqt tu hamara aap ke saath time spend karne ka plan hai "closes her in his arms

Ahana:tries to fre herself "serious ho na Armaan waqai mein hame sochne ki zaroorat hai"

Armaan:again cuddling her "future planning for what mein hoon tum ho khush hain aur kia plan Karen "

Ahana; in a very casual way "dekho Armaan aaj tu mein hoon tum ho 9 mahine bad hamara bacha bhi ho ga us ke ane se pejhle kuch karna hai ya nahi "

Arman; "woh tu jab ho ga tab kar  lein ge na?."takes a pause "what kia kaha 9 mahine ke bad kaun hoga"

Ahana;"hamara bacha "

Armaan:"matlab humara "points with his finger towards ahana and himself

Ahana:"yup hamara "smiles

Armaan;"than k you thank you ahana you are the best of all "takes her in his arm and take some whirls

Ahana;"bus bus karo"

Armaan;"I am so happy kia karoon jhoomoon nachoon gaoon sab ko bataoon I don't know what to do "

Ahana;"kuch mat karo bus humare sath time spend karo "

Armana;"mera sara time tumhara ?you have given me the best gift I don't know how to thank you "  

(10th December 2009)

today is the best day of my life I am the most luckiest person of the world I am going to be a father really sooon I cant thank HIM for giving me the best of everything I don't know why am I afraid of upcoming days i guess iam becoming more protective and more possessive probably that's the reason this time I want to have a girl in our family plz bless us with an Angel "

After Few Days:

ARMAAN IS ENTERING THE HOUSE WITH LOTS OF STUFF

AHANA;"WHATS ALL THAT???????"

Armaan:"these are baby stuff?baby shampoo, baby chair ,pram , cot , clothes , toys , food??."

Ahana;"but its not needed at this time "

Armaan:"us din khudi tu bool rahi thi future ki planning karni chahiye ab mein saman laya hoon tu kah rahi ho abhi nahi chahiye"

Ahana;"but Armaan sab kuch pink hai form toys to clothes to accessories agar boy hua tu"

Armaan;"ab mujhe jo acha laga mein le aya   ab mujhe nahi paata boy hua tu kiya "

Ahana;"but armaan abhi hume neutral colours select karne hahiyen aur cheesen tu bad mein bhi le ja sakti hain hai na ?"tries to convince him

Arman;"nahi mujhe abi se lenio hain "makes a childish face

Ahana;"bharr mein jao jo marzi ae karo mood swings mujhe ane chahiyen aur dimag kharab tumhara ho raha hai ??."

Arman;"ok ok iam sorry ab se jot um kaho gi  wohi ho ga plz plz gusa na ho plz ?I am sorry kaan paakar kar sorry"touches his ears

Ahana;smiles at his innocence "its okk but jab waqt aye gat u mein khud tumhe shopping ka kahoon gi balke hum mil ker shopping Karen ge"

Armaan;"okk "

After 6 months:

THEY ARE BUYING STUFF FOR THEIR UPCOMING BABY ARMAN IS STILL BUSY IN BUYING PINK STUFF FOR A GIRL

Ahana;"Armaan bus karo ab kuch blue yellow aur white stuff bhi le lo"in an irritated voice

Arman:"tu tum lo na jo tumhe acha lagta hai mein woh le raha hoon jo mujhe pasand hai"

Ahana:"yeh pink frcks pink baby tub all girly accessories Armaan tum agey barho tu mein kuch aur pick karoon"

Armaan;"yeh dekho yeh doll kitni achi hai aur yeh ben 10 bhi lena hai "

Ahana;"Armaan yeh bare bachoon ke toys hain hamare bache bohat chote hoon ge jaldi karo zaroori stuff reh jai ga mujhe abhi hunger pangs ane shoro ho jaen ge"

Arman;"MRS hamare bache bhi bare tu hoon ge na  yeh dekho yeh wireless car bohat achi hai charging time sirf 2 hours battery capacity 6 hours flip bhi karti hai:"

Ahana;"stop it Armaan bhook lagi hai mujhe jaldi jao aur kuch khan eke liye laooo"shrieks

Arman:knowing that she will get hyper now "okk okkk I am going kia laoon kia laoon "

Ahana;"go and bring that icecreamm"

Arman;"okk okk '

He has brought strawberry chocolate mango vanilla almost all flavours of icecreams

Ahana;"yeh itni zada flavours kis ke liye hain ?"

Armaan;"woh I didn't know ke baby ko meri tarhan strawberry pasand ho ga yeh tumhari tarhan chocolate aur mango tu mein sab le aya "making an innocent face

Ahana;smiles at his innocence "ok hamara baby tumhari tarhan strawberry bhi khaye ga aur meri tarhan chocolate aur mango bhi yeh boring vanilla use pasand nahi ho gi "

Arman had a sigh of relief watching her smile

THEY ARE ON THEIR WAY TO HOME AYESHA  AND RYAAN HAVE CALLED THEM TO PICK THEM UP FROM THERE PLACE THEIRCAR IS OUT OF ORDER

Ayesha ;"aur ahana  enjoying it or not?"

Ahana;"yeah enjoying it "

Armaan:"koi mujh se poche kab kaisa mood ho kuch paat nahi hota kabhi yeh khana hai kabhi woh khana hai "

Ahana;"haan haan aur jo aane wala hai us se zada tu tum mujhe tang karte ho app ko pata hai Ayesha  he is so irritating aik bhi neutral colour ki cheez nahi leta har cheese pink aur toys laat hai jo babies ke bajaye is ke liye hote hain "

Ayesha ;"really ahana thee boys are same yeh jo Ryaan hai nay yeh bhi yoon he karta tha baby se zada tu is ko dekhna par ta hai"

Ryaan;"these girls na grow up so fast and we guys are babies even at forty right Armaan"

Armaan;"right man yeh tu hoti he aunties hain"

Ayesha ;"hmm tum aur babies tum tu demons hote ho demons"

SUDDENLY A TRUCK APPEARS ON THE SCREEN AND IS LIKELY TO HIT THEIR CAR Arman tries his level best to control the car and turns to the right and the car is bumped into another car it takes some turns and is on the spot upside down all the four are taken to the hospital all are in severe condition after few hours Ahana is in operation theatre,

Ryaan :"doctor plzz tell me how is my wife?.."

Doctor;"we cant tell aout anyone there is a good news the lady which was brought here has delivered a baby girl but she is not in a good condition neither others,,they  are still in serious condition plz pray "

Ryaan; "BABY GIRL THE ONE FOR WHICH ALL WAITED FOR A LONG TIME GOD HAS GIFTED US WITH OUR ANGEL PLZ GOS DON'T BE THAT CRUEL WITH US PLZ BE GENEROUS WITH US LIKE ALWAYS PLZ LET THEM ALL LIVE PLZZZ""

After few hours doctors have told that Ayesha  is dead ,,now so as Ahana Arman's daughter is in incubator

Ryaan has just broke down buyt what about Armaan he is still in critical condition Ryaan has gone to his room he is still unconious

Ryaan:"Armaan congrats yaar you are blessed with a baby girl man the one for wohm you waited for a long time ..""sobs""abhi dekh ke aya hoon bilkul tumhare jaisi hai Armaan woh aapne dad  ko dhond rahi hai yaar jaldi uth na plz use na jane de hamare paas aur kuch nahi raha""cries bitterly ..."uth ja rook le apni angel ko Arman agar woh bhi naraz ho gait u hamare paas kuch bache ga Armaan bas kar utyhh ja ?.uth ja rook lke use jo ja rahi hai ?Armaan teri aur Ahana ki akhri nishani ?.Armaan ahana nahi hai jo use rook le Armaan tujhe he  use mana na hai use rookna hai ab bhi tu na utha tu bohaat deir ho jaye gi Armaan ?bohaat deir ""

Armaan's condition is getting worse so as of his daughter's

MONTHS HAVE PASSED ,SEASONS HAVE CHANGED , ITS ALMOST THE END OF 2 ND YEAR AFTER AYESHA  AND AHANA ??AND ???.

AYAAN;"DAD look hania has taken may bat " 

Hania;"no lying didn't taten dust touded"(no he is lying I haven't taken it I have just touched it) "

Ryaaan;'Ayaan why are you irritating my princess say sorry to her and share your stuff with her "

Ayaan;'dad you always take his side no body loves me"

Hania;'"I lub u bhya"(I love you bhaiya )in her childish voice "solly le lo"(sorry le lo)

Ayaan;"I love you too aap bhi khel lo"

Hania;"dada adaya"(dad agaye)

Arman;"hi princess how was your day" opening hs arms

Ayaan;"hi champ"

Armaan;"hi buddy come come :"taking him too in his arms

Ayaan;"you know dad scold me because of hania"

ARMAAN;"HAWW?"putting his hand on his mouth

Hania;"no I lub bhya"

Ayaan ;"yeah she loves me but dad doesn't love me"

Arman;"okk we will talk to dad not to scold the champ ok "

Hania;"jor se danti nai"(zor se nahi dantna )

Arman;"okk princess zor se danti nahi "kisses her""now woh wants to have some icecream""?????"

Ayaan and hania together ;"me me me me"

Armaan;"okk Ayaan which flavour "

Ayaan;"mom wala black currant"made Arman think about Ayesha

Armaan;"okk and which one for HANI "

Hania;"choco strwbelly mando sale"(chocolate strawberry mango sare )

MADE ARMAN SMILE ?.THAT DAY AHANA AND AYESHA  BOTH DIED IN THAT ACCIDENT THE TWO MEN SURVIVED AND THERE ANGEL NOW BOTH ARE GROWING THEER KIDS TOGETHER THE WAY BOTH OF THE WOMEN WANTED THEY ARE HAVING A HAPPY LIFE ?Armaan still writes his diary but now just about the innocent deeds of his daughter that crashed didn't crashed them as theer angel healed their wounds and showed them a way towards life an end yet a beginning

Edited by spln - 26 April 2011 at 1:10pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

a little faithniru273Angel-Jot.WafahScatteredCastle

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 24 April 2011 at 11:58pm | IP Logged

Using Excerpt #4

Coincidental Concurrence

Amidst the loud beating of drums and blaring music, all you can hear is the soft humming sound. Among the people moving around you, all you see is the hazy motion of colors.  When this happens, it usually indicates the effects of too much alcohol. I've also read that people who've experience almost dying also have this humming effect (I'm not a reader so the retention of this fact is strange to me). In my case I wasn't dying, even though there seemed to be a strange white light, almost a glow. I also wasn't drunk (depending on my definition of drunk). In my case it was because I'd been struck by something so powerful, something so acute, a lightning of realization that in that moment I'd been unable to focus on much else anything. It was almost a light-headed situation. 

Maybe it was the play of lights, maybe it was the right music, maybe it was all just a big coincidence, but suddenly I found myself staring at her. Truly, staring seeing her for the first time, which was silly because she'd, been right there all along. 

I couldn't understand it. I couldn't understand what had changed our equation. I was still confused moments later, as we both sat in silence in the now dark tent that had only moments glittered with all the commotion of a bridal party. We were the only two left of the masses, not considering the clean-up crew that were slowly pulling apart the remnant of a recent reunion. 

Normally I'd muse on the irony on the tragic state of what remained, and remark on how in my cynical point of view it was very similar to what a marriage represented. Shining, glowing lights and loud noises that fizzle out into darkness and an uncomfortable silence. Today I offered no cynicism. 

The wedding had taken place on a mansion nestled on the top of a hilly area, where cars found it troublesome to go up and down. The cars hired to escort the guests up and down the mountain had decided to give up one by one, and the last working car had been kindly handed over to the bride and groom, courtesy of the female that sat next to me.

"Are you mad?" She finally spoke up from beside me, breaking the silence between us. She looked at me tentatively, trying to gauge my reaction. 

"Why would I be mad? Because you decided to offer our last working ride to the bride and groom, who by the way are probably on their way to a cozy honeymoon, while we are stuck in a large wedding tent, in the dark, at an ungodly hour?" I looked at my watch, to ensure my last two words were true. They were. No one in their right mind would be out at three in the morning in the middle of nowhere, with still no idea how to get home. "I'm not mad."

She looked at me, stared directly me, which usually didn't make me this uneasy. She sighed, and rubbed her palms against her forearms. My words had made her aware of the fact that she was cold. "I'm sorry. I know you get frustrated when I put others needs before my own, and I didn't mean to drag you down with me. They did have an extra room in the car." She didn't look at me when she said this.

She knew I wouldn't have gone. There were a few reasons I wouldn't leave her alone. One, she'd looked almost fearful at the thought of being left alone. Second, I had no interest in being the third wheel to the bride and groom. Especially a couple that had no qualms about going at each other in public. My dinner wouldn't compliment the bride's pretty ivory dress. Finally I just couldn't. I couldn't leave her alone. 

I looked at her, but she was staring at her toes. She was biting her lip but I noticed they were turning a little pale in the cold air. I shrugged off my jacket and placed it around her. It startled her.

She looked at me, but didn't say anything. Her eyes thanked me, while holding the question she didn't ask. She didn't want to challenge my kind gesture. I was cold. She adapted to the cold better than I did. 

"You're more under dressed than I am." I explained anyways, and she smiled. The uneasiness from before was back. My heart unsettled for some reason and I frowned in response.

"You're doing it again." She said looking worried now.

"Again?" I didn't know I'd done it the first time, whatever it was that I did. "What am I doing?"

"Frowning, like that." She replied.

"I thought people were allowed to frown. I'm sure it is one of the natural expressions people have. They even have an emoticon dedicated to 'the frown'."

Her lips tilted in exasperation. "Funny. You were frowning earlier too, at the wedding, like you have something on your mind. Troubles at home again? Girl Troubles?"

"Maybe I was frowning because I don't believe in marriages. Or maybe because that aunty kept flirting with me, and touching me inappropriately. Or maybe because the dessert tasted suspiciously like rubber." I paused, she looked at me. "I think it was the aunty. I would have rather flirted with her hot daughter, but she kept interrupting."

She laughed then, and I found myself analyzing it. It was light sound. Almost airy. Her eyes twinkled and crinkled in an effort to touch the edge of her growing smile. It was infectious, damn it. I didn't need to be analyzing her laugh. I didn't want to share her smile, but I couldn't frown either, especially since she was keen on picking at it. Maybe if I smiled she would ignore trying to prod into my thoughts. 

"She was kind of odd. I think she would be scandalized if she heard you call her 'aunty'." She shook her head, not understanding why some people ran away from the concept of aging gracefully. 

Topic avoided. Or so I thought. I have no luck, when it comes to her.

"You're evading the question, though. What's been bothering you, besides the wedding? I know you hate weddings, but this is something else, right?" She asked even though she knew she was right. 

I wonder if I should lie and tell her it was family related. I paused too long to consider.

"Girl troubles, then? You're usually more forthcoming with your family problems." She sighed.

"Are you saying I whine about my family, a lot?" I asked. I was still trying to skirt around the issue.

"No. You barely ever talk about your problems, but since you're obviously trying to avoid the question, it can only mean girl troubles. You don't talk to me about your girl problems. All I ever get are names." She frowned then, like she had just figured out something, and didn't like the thought.

"You're the one frowning, now." I said gently poking her cheek to draw her attention back to me.

"Are you seeing someone? You usually mention your dates on a regular basis. Everyday it's some girl, Sheena, Saira...or some other. Lately you've not mentioned anyone. You haven't talked about any dates. Not even the flings you like to gloat about." This for some reason seemed to be bothering her. 

I hadn't actually thought of that fact. I hadn't realized I'd stopped dating. Had I really? That wasn't possible. I thrived on my flings, just like she thrived on her lack. I remember spending almost every night with a new girl, just like she managed to spend every night with a new book.

Neither of us had a special someone. She, because she was looking for the clichd "Mr. Right". Me, because I didn't believe there was one "Ms. Right", and I fully intended on exercising that belief.
In the end, she had not a lover in life; I had too many but one. Conclusively, we were a single heart apiece. 

And if irony had to find a situational synonym - it lay in the fact, that she and I were professional match makers. As partners, not rivals. The wedding had been the celebration of yet another of our successful matches. After the first twenty, we'd lost count, but surprisingly, we still remembered the story of each of the matches. 

As match makers, we guaranteed to find people their love match, their soul mates, their other half. We promised people the happiness that marriage, supposedly brought, cajoled them that by finding that significant other was the best thing to happen to them, yet neither of us had yet to experience this so called exhilaration of being in love. 
Of course she actually believed that marriage made people happy. That was another irony of our lives. She who had come from a broken home, who should have been skeptical about love, believed in it with her whole heart. Me, on the other hand, who had been dealt a loving family, overbearingly so, seemed to run away from relationships and commitments. 

Had I just admitted to myself that I ran away from relationships and commitments? I wonder what she would say if I told her that?

"Who is she?" Her seemingly random question broke into my thoughts. 

"Who is she?"

"That's what I asked. You just said 'I wonder what she would say if I told her that? Who is this she?" 

I stared at her blankly. I couldn't believe that I'd just voiced my thoughts to her. I must have been really distracted. Or still drunk? 

"Fine." She said frustrated, suddenly, and got up. "Don't tell me. I don't want to know." She paced back and forth, paused to look at her watch then picked up the pacing again.

I didn't know what to say, so instead I let my eyes follow the gentle, yet lithe movements of her hips as she paced. Her arms were wrapped around her waist, pressing tight like she was holding something, and afraid of losing it.

"I'm cold." She said simply. She paused in front of me forcing me to look at her. She was biting her lips again. I sensed her fatigue. Her admittance to the fact that she was cold was unlike her. So I knew she must be really tired and frustrated.

"I'm not dating anyone. I'm haven't been on a date in a month." I offered.

"You really don't have to tell me. I just was trying to get my mind off the cold. It's already two in the morning, and there's no reception. They said they would send someone."

"You really think trusting a couple whose main focus probably is jumping in a warm bed, most probably together, most probably in the biblical sense, is the best judgment?"

I shouldn't have gone there. Not because she twisted her lips at the thought. Not, because it had me thinking, of how I'd like to have someone warm cuddle up next to me. It was because the "someone warm" was temptingly standing right next to me. A little too close, for comfort. It was my turn to get up and put some distance between us. 

"Have you noticed that the cleaning crew has also disappeared?" I'd stop noticing that no one was coming in and out of the tent anymore. "Are we really, the only ones left?" Both of us looked around, noticing that besides a few roughly scattered chairs, the table we were sitting on, and the large tent that loomed over our heads, everything else was still. 

She looked like she was going to panic but then her usual rationalization took over. "There's always the mansion. I'm sure the cleaning crew just headed there. Or maybe there's a caretaker."

"You know this has the makings of a horror movie. I'm not going to some strange mansion, resting on the top of a silent hill. The males are always the first to die in horror movies for some strange reason."

She laughed again. "I wouldn't have figured you to be afraid of ghosts."

"I'm not. I'm just presenting a theory." I preferred her smile.

"I've never stayed up this late, you know."She changed the topic.

"I do know. You text me every night before you sleep, reminding me to show up to work the next day, bright eyed."

She blushed in embarrassment, and took a seat on the table again. I too sat back down. 

Our text routine had become a tradition. Just like me missing the alarm every morning, and running late to work. Just like her making me a pot of coffee, just as I walked in. Just like us meeting every afternoon for lunch. Just the way she always ordered the same sandwich, and I settled for soup. Just like she always stopped by my office, before heading out, every evening. Just like, I always walked her to her car at the end of the day.

Perhaps it wasn't just a strange coincidence, how at the bottom of all seeming facts, was this real one - she and I were living our days in a similar trend. We'd become a part of each other's routines. 

When we'd first met, I'd have never thought we'd become friends. We didn't roam in the same friend circles. Our meeting was, now that I remember, under completely odd circumstances. It was a coincidence really. Our friends, her female friend, my male, had been dating. Then one fine day, they'd decided to break it up with each other. Only problem neither of them had the courage to each other, so we were the messengers. My friend's excuse was that I was used to being in an out of dates so I was an expert in letting girls down easy. Her friend's excuse was that no one could stay mad at her, because she had an innocent face.

So I thought she was the lucky girl who no longer had to date my jerk of a friend. She thought I was the ill-fated boy whose heart was going to be broken by her friend. In the end, when the misunderstandings cleared, we laughed, and found ourselves becoming fast friends. 

Of course my reputation preceded me, and any girl who had the luck, or ill-luck of being seen with me was linked as a potential date. From our initial days of bonding (or not?!), we were spotted 'together' too often to not prompt gossip. Everyone wanted to know who the lucky girl was, who had managed to tie me down.

Luckily, our peers were a lot of bright people who soon figured we were the case of 'plain opposites' not the proverbial 'opposites that attract'. As soon as the every-town-has-its-share-of snoopers were jaded and convinced we were not the next epic-love-story-in-the-making, we were left alone.

She, to her unbelievably boring life of routines and deadlines. Oh and, being good! I, relieved at reestablishing my single-to-mingle credentials, in continuing to turn heads, for this newer, better reason. Ready to let everyone know, I wasn't one to be tied down by anything or anyone. 

She of course didn't approve, or rather didn't understand why I refused to find just one girl who met all my needs instead of dating many that only met one or at the most two. 
After our youthful days we parted ways of course, only to be thrown together when we were both in the down periods of our lives. That meeting was another coincidence. We were invited to the wedding of the two people who were responsible for making us meet in the first place. Two different weddings, of course, both of which had been arranged by her.
How kickass was that!

Divine conspiracies, unlike the rumored divine grace, are not a myth. I speak from personal experience. How else would one explain the uncanny concurrence of our lives? Of course we took it as a sign to do business together because she seemed to have found a knack for setting people up, and I was tired of playing second fiddle to the boss's son at my own work place, when I knew that my knack for business could take me much further. My business skills and her matchmaking skills, set up the perfect equation for our union, and our matchmaking company was born. 

Of course in the process I'd become quite skilled at match making myself, being able to read people, their subtleties. She'd never taken any interest in the business aspect, it felt foreign to her. She just truly wanted to make people happy by joining them in holy matrimony, and even though I protested that matrimony made no one happy, she refused to believe me. She truly believed that everyone was entitled to a romance story. So much so, that it bothered her when she wasn't able to find a match for somebody. She kept insisting that I had a romance story waiting to be written too, if I'd just let someone open the book and pen away.

I knew my story, and it was no romance story. It was more action, less drama, a little bit of humor injected into it, to keep the audience alive. I had the full rights to right it the way I wanted 'Cause hello, this is my story. I knew who starred in it because I chose who I wanted to be in my story. I was the main character and anyone else, side characters, some relevant to the story, some just passing by. 

Today though I couldn't say that for sure, because as I realized that we'd become a part of each other's stories much against my wish. Well it wasn't against my wish but rather, I hadn't seen it. I hadn't seen the plot twist in my own story. She was one character that I hadn't really chosen in my story, yet had managed to be quite adeptly tied into mine.
Every chapter now has her in it. I don't plan on including her
but she has to, as a rule, barge her way into every notable aspect of it. It's almost unplanned yet feels like it was a set-up all the while. It sure beats the hell out of me... how she does it. All the damn time! 

Very much like the way she barged into my thoughts, randomly at the wedding. Dressed in a pink dress that I'd purchased for her (I liked her in pink), she was dancing with the bride, who was by rule supposed to be the prettiest lady in the room, but she wasn't. 

The lady in pink looked much more beautiful to me than the lady in white. The lady in pink glowed when she danced, her eyes twinkling. I wondered if I'd seen her dance before with this much abandon. Maybe that's why I had been caught unawares. At work I'd gotten so used to seeing her dressed in professional attire that maybe seeing her away from the office environment was what was different. 

That wasn't true. We'd been to weddings together before. I'd always brought a date, yet always at the end of the wedding, I'd never been able to find my date. I'd always found myself next to my partner, in almost all sense, except the one where it truly mattered. Just like today, we were together. Today, though, I didn't have a date to the wedding. I truly hadn't dated in almost a month. Maybe I was getting old. 

"You're quiet again." She sighed. "You haven't spoken in all of four minutes and fifty seven...no, fifty eight seconds. I'm not saying I'm counting."

"I think we can round it off to a neat five." I looked at her. She was looking more and more tired now. When she smiled her eyes remained closed for a longer while. I wrapped my arm around her and pulled her closer. She didn't protest and instead let her head rest again my shoulder. 

"What were you thinking about?" She asked, trying to make conversation to keep herself awake. 

"I was thinking about how we first met." She smiled again her eyes definitely closed this time. 

"I was terrified. You know before I met you, I'd heard all sorts of horrible stories about you. You had quite the reputation as the player of our college. When I met you, you were different though."

"How so?" I asked. I waited. I got no response. I asked again, and waited again. Again no response. She was fast asleep.  

She had uncanny timing. I contemplated waking her up but our ride arrived. The driver looked like he'd rather be anywhere but here. He looked at her then at me. 

He announced that he was here to drive us home, though the way he grunted it sound more like "ohm" than home. I wondered if I should tell him that we both lived in different places and would probably need to be dropped off separately. Our hotels were pretty far away from each other. She'd chosen the cheapest yet most comfortable hotel; I'd chosen the most upscale, and posh one. I figured in her sleepy state she was better at mine. It was much more comfortable. She would protest in the morning when she awoke, but in her sleepy state, I was going to make the decisions. 

For those having unwarranted thoughts, I'm a perfect gentleman. I lifted her into my arms, and she just adjusted herself. I muttered to her that she better not drool on my shirt, and she smiled in her sleep, but seemed to press her cheek closer to me.

I shook my head and followed the man who had already moved away from us and was looking more like a shadow. 

When we reached the car, I gently placed her in the back of the car, making sure not to bump her head then got in myself after giving the driver instructions. Her head found its way back to my shoulder and she wrapped her hands around my arm.

"You are very easy to love." She mumbled, in her sleep. I would have not caught what she'd said if her head hadn't been close to her. Anything else she said was drowned out by the engine starting, or was that the humming in my head again. The haziness was back. It set my heart at edge again. The very thing I'd been trying not to dwell on, all night, was back with a force and it refused to leave. It wanted me to think. It wanted me explore what I didn't want to seek. Just like the person who slept wrapped around my arms. It wanted me to open my book, and let her pen my story.

Edited by spln - 25 April 2011 at 10:52am

The following 26 member(s) liked the above post:

-applepie-..kiran..naamteeg-BeingAppy-C3_IFa little faithahsimaniru273Angel-Jot.Wafahnatashusamruthamulan.--jiya--without-fathomssroomaniSumi_162710bmtdluverlola610nyxxThinker_BelleDulceTentacion.amail1601aish_punk-Jahnvi-Sanely_Insane

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 25 April 2011 at 12:03am | IP Logged

Using Excerpt #3

To Hell and Back

"K you're wanted out back, something about stock not being delivered on time?"

"What? Again? I swear I had it all pre-confirmed last night before leaving! I double checked! How the..."

"Look mate, I don't know okay, all I know is Sara's not in a great mood today and the stock hasn't turned up so..." sentence left hanging but I knew what it meant... she'd have me go to hell and back to make up for this slip. I hadn't double checked, heck I'd downright forgotten but things haven't been... well I've not been completely 100% recently and it was beginning to show.

~~~~

Passing me the glass of water, he pressed me for details, without a trace of urgency or haste. It wasn't a gesture of concern, because coming from him, it was like a receptionist's smile - something he was boringly and obligingly accustomed to doing, as part of his job. 

I wasn't mindful enough of his lack of sympathy, just right then. Quite thankfully instead, I drank in a large gulp of the chilled water. Then I took in a deep breath, and closed my eyes to remember what I would have given anything to forget - the sight of those eyes through the face mask ... The translucent hazel that turned to steel when they narrowed to focus upon ... 

My own eyes fell open with a start, a shudder passing through my spine. He sat looking at me intently, and the very distant comprehending part of my mind held onto the subconscious former belief - it wasn't out of concern, but routine. He was being merely patient with me, a crucial witness to this fifth murder case in the neighborhood that had kept their hands full here at Scotland Yard, this entire awful week of rainy afternoons. In this weatherly respect, today was no different. 

"They were cold," I whispered. My voice had refused to come full volume ever since the incident early this morning, sometime before the inset of dawn. 

"Blue?"

"Nuances of grey ... they turned dark ... very dark when he ... when ... "I inhaled sharply and ran a hand forcefully through the tangled mess of my long tresses. If I'd survived the sight of that ruthless stabbing, surely, I could survive speaking it out loud...?

"I see." 

Any other day, any other time, this man would have driven me over the edge. Why here I was, at all my nerves' end, and all he offers me was an 'I see'...? Sure! He could see nothing at all. Nothing! Unknowingly, I had worked myself into something of breathlessness. Unknowingly also, I was scowling deeply, staring, or rather glaring at him. Perhaps he sensed it, for he met my eye, interrupting his professional strokes on the canvas, sketching the murder suspect.

"Are you alright?" 

There it was, the water glass yet again, raised up for me. I wanted to scream the obvious 'no I'm not!' right into his face; instead I held back and re gathered my dissipating composure. I did however reject his attempt to drown my extreme discomfiture with mere cold water - what was I, a flushing system? 

"They were quite like yours," I told him bluntly staring into his eyes, and momentarily, the revelation of my own words shocked even me.

~~~~~~

WIPE YOUR SLATE CLEAN

The only bit of entertainment available to me was those words painted on that boring silk painted wall. 30 hours of being locked up, not a word about why I was here, what I'm to expect, who brought me here... just silence and the 5 minutely scraping of hinges as the invisible peeping tom looked in on me to make sure I hadn't mysteriously died or something.

Silence once considered a golden entity can also be the very thing that drives a person insane. When I expected to go to hell and back I hadn't anticipated this. This was beyond even Sara, the delivery hadn't come through and for that you expect a few crushed bones at max but this. Solitary? This was insane! Four concrete walls all painted a horrible shade of aging cream, a ceiling with a roof light through which I've been able to keep track of the day and night, a concrete bed and "WIPE YOUR SLATE CLEAN" (the metal toilet doesn't count as I refuse to acknowledge its existence) are all I have for company.

5 minutes seem like a day and a day as long as eternity. Sleep and dreaming, my only refuge from this, but when I wake up the nightmare is back. This endlessness of not knowing what to expect, how long I'm going to be here, when, if ever, I will see another living soul... is slowly eating me up inside... and yet on the outside I'm as still as the never moving concrete walls.

My breathing echoes around the room, giving the illusion that if I turn quickly I will see someone else there with me, my shadow never moves, it stays still under the dimmed light which are playing with my eyes. One moment the shadow will be completely still, and then just before I'm about to drift off into another timeless dream, it jumps and moves and does things I'm not doing.

~~~~

Had I just accused the Investigating Officer of being the murderer? A cold sweat quickly developed on my brow as his eyes changed from an icy grey to a deadly black. He wasn't happy from my statement I take it, a strange sense of joy struck me as for the first time since this sketching/question session had begun he wasn't cool anymore. He was downright furious and for once I felt calm, it felt right knowing I wasn't the only one feeling emotions with such strong passion... I was normal if he too had reason to burn and that too from a few words? I had been to hell and back in the past couple of hours and he kept asking me "are you alright?"

"I'M DAMN WELL NOT ALRIGHT!" I screamed in my mind, but on the surface I still shivered from the cold sweat. Those eyes hovered over me as the knife froze millimeters away from nose. The uncontrollable shivers took over again as the eyes that were there a few hours ago seemed to come alive in his eyes now.

~~~~

Long dark narrow halls are all my mind pictured. In actual fact my face was covered with a sack and tightened around the neck so I haven't got a clue what it was like, but they all seemed eerily quiet and cold, the only sound I could hear was that of my own feet being dragged down, whilst the two at my side were silent, not a footstep to indicate how heavy one would be, no shallow breathing to indicate if one was ill or a little out breath... nothing... just more silence.

Sat down now, ankles bound, hands cuffed behind me, the sickly silky voice of Sara took over. Now this I was used to, soon the beating would come and I could out of here.

"I know what you're thinking K; or rather what you should be thinking... when this ends... well it's only just begun. I have a job for you..."

Edited by spln - 25 April 2011 at 2:30am

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

..kiran..a little faithniru273Angel-Jot.without-fathom-Jahnvi-aish_punk

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 25 April 2011 at 12:25am | IP Logged

Using Excerpt #1

Her 'n' Him

Seated by the dust-encrusted window at the obnoxiously-named Best Rest Guesthouse Ria ate her breakfast that morning with a quiet sense of newfound, unflinching, determination. The past two days had seen her watery resolve sway too frequently towards the musty recesses of hopelessness. But she had realised now, that Shekhar's absence was intended to make her stronger than his presence ever could. After all, she was doing this for him, her brother, her one and only, and by implication best, friend.

The ultimate test, he had told her repeatedly, was to become street smart. Not just in the literal meaning of the phrase, but literally. She scoffed at the particular phrasing of this thought. Then clarified to herself, as if she were more than one mind inside one head, filling in the pause that he should have naturally occupied - street smart implied, gathering street expression in a language. That is, understanding common slang, here, in a place and among people she did not blend with as a natural. Which was usually what Shekhar did, his expertise, now rudely thrust upon her. To be a natural.

She attempted to mute down the sarcasm in the twitching corners of her mouth as her gaze surveyed the other guests at the dining hall quietly sipping their overly sweet tea with suspiciously untainted serenity. The very idea of being a natural amongst them sounded like a contradiction, an off-key note, quite out of place itself, in the grand symphony of things. The people of the Republic of Frahelia, by their very nature, came across to her as anything but natural.

They were a perpetually polite folk, of mild temperament, that couched, quite unnecessarily, every bland thought of theirs in a plethora of humdrum decorum. At first Ria had dismissively thought them to be just about as insipid and humorless as they sounded. But after some time, it struck her - the possibility that they bottled up their passions and kept them masked behind those poised, insincere, smiles. For, surely, she had been inclined to muse, who could be that boring?

And yet, even as she graciously endowed them with more flavor than they dared to exhibit, the country remained as grey and cold and unexciting as it was. Shekhar just had to choose Frahelia, didn't he? She remembered her incredulity when he had first announced the idea amidst all the theatrics that one could expect from him. But that was him. He had always been the dreamer in the family. And the one to follow them. It was one such dream that had brought him, and her with him, to this feisty land. Well, feisty as he liked to refer to it, with his customary embarrassingly conspicuous sarcasm.

But somehow, before she knew it, things had spiraled out of her control at a momentum quite startling for a land where nothing ever seemed to happen. When she had arrived in Frahelia two days after Shekhar - to avoid being intercepted by airport officials on the lookout for the duo - he was not at the designated meeting place.

The next few days had passed in an unsettling whirlwind of uncertainty, until she received a note at the guesthouse, delivered by a grimy street kid in a checkered fez:

"I am afraid I have been arrested for some jiggery-pokery (St James Prison). It is rather unfortunate, but we must bow to the dictates of fate. I do miss you and your delightful muffins. I am sorry we could not meet; it would have been absolutely lovely to see you. I trust you will look after my prat of a goldfish while I am away. Karl."

The careless scrawl was unmistakably Shekhar's. Clearly, he had blended in as a natural already, and he was showing off to her, in his typical tongue-in-cheek fashion, his assimilation of the local figures of speech. He had always had somewhat of a penchant for obviousness, to the detriment of any sliver of subtlety that he potentially possessed. 

Ria had faced no difficulty in deciphering the message. True to the code, it would have been written in a pattern of truth-untruth-truth-untruth, meeting the fundamental, infallible, rule that they followed when they conned people as well: to start with truth and end on an untruth. 

Arrested. That was true. St James Prison. Stored for future reference.

Unfortunate: untrue. Which must mean that it was a planned deviation from the set plan. And that they must bow to the dictates of fate would have rung untrue, even without the code in place. Shekhar and Ria tweaked fate as a matter of routine. He was counting on her to get him out. As always.

That he missed her: a rare, but true, acknowledgement of the love they shared. Also, a sincere attempt at buttering her up so she would not scold him too much for getting arrested in the first place. 'Muffins' was of the many nicknames he had conferred upon her, and one of the few that she did not object to. It had a nice ring to it.

That he was sorry they had not met: untrue. Another confirmation that he had intended to be arrested from the start. He must have hidden it from her because he knew she would not have agreed.

The last truth: Operation Goldfish was still on. And she was here to complete what he had left unaccomplished. For which, it naturally followed, she first needed to rescue him.    

Karl: Shekhar.

Shekhar. Only he, only he could be so foolhardy, so exasperatingly reckless. They were in a foreign land, where they knew no-one, with no pre-determined, pre-tested getaway mechanisms. And there he was, getting himself arrested and tossing away the meticulous plan they had decided upon.

How could he leave her alone like that, she had fumed? They were a team; they had always been a team. Right from those days when they would sneak off to steal cookies from the kitchen while their parents slept, to those when they would play pranks on the tight-lipped nuns at the orphanage. Always a team, invincible.

It was important one understood, however, that she was nothing like him. Neither the dreamer, nor the dream catcher... she was the prim and proper pragmatist. The very idea of changes in a plan was practically sacrilegious to her, whereas to his impulsive mind, nothing could be more enjoyable than throwing up a few twists to the challenge. And she was there to attempt to mould it all within a reasonably feasible framework.

It was evident in the way she had scheduled even the fulfillment of what had been set as a wild dream initially. There was a fixed plan, a routine with several stages, and following each in its turn and time was part of the algorithm she had charted. Yes, itinerary, was not the word that defined her travels, or the corresponding exploits. Algorithm was just right. Structured, ordered, under control - and inflexible, till she had her way.

And so it was. The plan. Mingling with the locals. Followed by mimesis. Followed by measurement. Yes, her plans were always expressed in a short series of alliterations. It made for easier memorization, and appealed to her weakness for structure and structure. The mingling was the preparation, the mimesis was the implementation, and the measurement, the test that was crucial to ascertain whether she was ready. Ready to find Shekhar and discover exactly why he had thrown them so ludicrously off course.

Just over two weeks later, it was time for the test. Standing at the foot of the short flight of stairs that led to the glass doors, for a moment, she just gave them a long look. This was it. Ria was at the threshold of the final stage, and she seriously doubted, if at all, that anything could get out of hand now! 

She'd chosen the Comedy Showcase, because to her logical mind it seemed like a good place to test her acquired skills so far. If one could understand the inherent humor of a culture that they did not belong to, they had certainly gotten somewhere with establishing their life as an alias.
And in Frahelia, of all places, where she had thought humour an alien concept, she had finally cracked the code. Or at least, she would have herself believe so.

"And now," announced the...well, announcer, in forced theatricality, "please welcome our next contestant, Contestant number 24, Mrs Amelia Dellpierro!"

That was it. It was her turn. Ria took a deep breath, finding a strange sense of solace in the evenness of the number she had been assigned. It seemed a perfect number, perfectly divisible as it was by so many multiples 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12. She shuddered at the thought of being a prime number. Yes, she had stage fright. Unforgivable for a con artist, you'd say. But so it was, that before every great performance, irrational fears began to crowd her frenzied mind, fears that she would quell by desperately looking for signs. 24 was a good sign, she had decided.

Amelia Dellpierro, nee Cruz, was born and bred in Elizabeth town, Frahelia, after her family had migrated from Argentina in a search for a better life (yes, money, but that's not how it's said). She had found love in the handsome Pedro, who she had met at a Hawaiian-themed wedding, and had subsequently married him. His attentions and affections had flitted to another and they had divorced shortly thereafter. She was at the Comedy Showcase because it was time she began to laugh again.

It had to be a tragic story, as people feel uncomfortable questioning tragedy. Questions were dangerous for people in her trade. Also, she had found that Frahelians, especially, prided themselves in being sympathetic, self-righteous receptors of tragic stories, and this made it easier for her to be accepted into the essentially frigid populace.

A few minutes later, all tragedy forgotten, the audience was roaring with laughter. Amelia had an incredible ability to imitate quite uncannily people of various backgrounds, especially people of Indian origin. She seemed to speak to the inner feelings and attitudes that, it turned out, they'd always had but had not been quite aware of. And all done while impressively poker-faced. She was sure to go far in the competition, they almost unanimously decided, after lengthy deliberations.

But of course, that very night, Amelia withdrew from the contest for medical reasons. Ria's purpose had been served, her alias established, her confidence boosted. She could go on to rescue her idiotic brother now.

"After, what, almost a month?" Shekhar shot at her, interrupting the tale. But he was smiling through his thick fake moustache. 

"You're lucky I didn't leave you there!" Ria pointed out, "and anyway, you still haven't told me what the deal was. Why you had to get yourself in there in the first place."

"Thank you, oh great Ria! We needed the contacts, remember?"

"From jail? You never said - do you know how hard it was to get you out of there? All those days spent observing and planning and worrying. I had to neutralize a cook to sneak into the jail kitchen so I could smuggle chloroform and the keys to you, somehow get to the control room to cut off the electricity supply so you could get out without the other prisoners noticing. Do you know what would have happened if we had been caught? Do you have any idea -"

"You sound like Sister Anne-Lise, do you know? Only the hardened, most skilled thieves know about the stolen painting. It is only through them that we can track down its progress. I had to go there. And seriously, I have a lot to tell you. Just wait till we get home."

Ria humphed and looked around to avoid having to bear the all-knowing beaming smile on Shekhar's face. He was infuriatingly right, and they both knew it. But it's a prerogative of elder sisters to never admit - at least not expressly - to being wrong.

A tall, handsome young man walking towards them, caught her eye. Frahelian men sure were gentlemen. There was something she found quite irresistibly attractive about men in pinstriped suits. And when he caught her eye, she found that his irises were made of the clearest, bluest, most mesmerising of blues. As he walked past her and Shekhar, never allowing their interlocked gazes to separate, his lips curved slightly into a hint of a courteous smile. Frahelian men, Ria sighed, before turning to grin at Shekhar.

"You got it, didn't you?" she asked. It was rhetorical.

Shekhar stared at her, pretending to be offended by the insinuation. And "duh!" was the answer. That, and a quick ceremonious wave of the heavy wallet he had just filched. And, of course, an identical grin, impossible to suppress.

Edited by spln - 25 April 2011 at 12:50pm

The following 15 member(s) liked the above post:

naamteegahsimaniru273a little faithAngel-Jot.SmileyfaceWafahlola610ssroomaniThinker_Bellewithout-fathom--jiya---Jahnvi-amail1601aish_punk

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 25 April 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged

Using Excerpt #2

The Even More Most Dangerous Game!

Sam and Seema always knew that they were going to have a quiet wedding - a small, private affair attended by only a handful of family members and close friends, followed by a reception that would not be much larger.

Seema proved to be nothing of the "bridezilla" types he had seen on countless reality shows, the ones who threatened to call off the wedding if the imported lilies that she ordered were the wrong shade of ivory. Wasn't ivory a shade of white, to begin with? Then how could it have shades of its own for them to raise hell about?

Anyway, lucky for him, his bride to be was not like that. He knew for sure, since they couldn't have spent any more time together than they had over the past two years. Yes, they would have their calm, intimate wedding in front of only the few who mattered most. Nothing they had done, though, could assure that the entire day of the occasion would go so smoothly! 

----------------------

*CRASH*
Sam choked, and gasped, struggling to get her attention as startled by the sudden loud sound she nearly strangled him with the noose of the tie she was helping him with.

"Oh my god," Seema whispered, hurriedly undoing it and looking wide eyed as he rubbed his throat. "I'm so sorry, I just... what was that sound?"

"I don't..." he coughed, and cleared his throat rubbing it lightly some more, "It's alright. And I don't know. Let's go see."

"What's going on down..." he begun loudly, gliding down the stairs as she followed him.
*CRASH*

"Get the hell OUT of my kitchen!" 

They both heard her voice - his sister Mona, her friend - presumably yelling at her husband Robert- their common friend.  Just as the two of them made it to the bottom of the stairs, they saw the poor guy duck behind the wooden cutlery cabinet. And then they saw his attacking wife walk out, hands on her hips, murder in her eyes. 

"Why exactly are we being treated to this aggressive intimacy today of all days?" He asked them, more his sister, than her husband, out of a default sense of loyalty to old time fraternity.

"Bhai!" she half wailed through her obvious anger. "I hate him!" Folding her arms across her chest she glared at the accused man she otherwise, very often claimed to be madly in love with. Well, 'I Love You' were three over rated words anyways. The blamed and assaulted husband on this note, peeked at him from beneath hooded eyes, shaking his head with a sheepish guilt. 
"What did he do?" She, his own fiance and soon-to-be-wife in the next couple hours, intervened that moment.

"He ruined my biggest and best batch of cupcakes, when all he had to do was turn off the oven in the 10 minutes after I left to shower and get dressed." she said gritting her teeth and blowing at the curl over her eye in anger.

They looked towards their friend, her husband - she with the slightest frown of disapproval and he with a shrug of sympathy, both awaiting his explanation. 
"It was the Super Bowl final... I... forgot."

"The game was last night. They didn't even win it, your favorites! It was some rubbish news about the rival coach's great glory in having his boys win the big game which was his last with them as a coach. WHO BLOODY CARES!" There were two people in that room, who would have liked to disagree with her, the two men. But they heard the warning challenge in her raised pitch, and knew better than to be foolish.  

"Why didn't you just preset the timer on the oven?" He tried, tentatively, not happy to be adjudicating this fight scene, but unable to forgo the brotherhood and target his mate already. His sister seemed too volatile just that second, or he'd have pointed out also, that Super Bowl was like, 'The' Super Bowl. And cupcakes were... well, just cupcakes.

"Are you serious?"

Uh-oh. That was his fiance. So much for sticking up with ones fraternity. "I've been telling you for a week that the oven's timer needs fixing, and you've been stalling it because you had 'countless other errands' for the wedding. But surely, you didn't forget?!"

"Look I'm sorry. Really. How about I go and buy some to make up? Every kind they have at the store." The husband said, re-entering the conversation with what he thought was a very generous offer. Too bad his wife didn't think so.

"I did Granny's hardest recipe. I've been at it all morning, because I wanted to do something special for my brother's wedding. And his favorite cupcake-cake at the reception had seemed like a plan. Until now." That did it. Both Robert, and her brother hung their heads low, dutifully.

"That was awfully thoughtful of you honey. Please don't let these two hopeless losers ruin your mood. I'm very touched, that you thought so much about it, and so is your brother." He nodded vehemently at her prompting, in Mona's direction, then went back to hanging his head.

It wasn't enough for redemption. With a last of disgusted and upset looks, the ladies walked out on them, first his sister, then Seema, and he didn't dare remind the latter, that she still had to do his tie. So much for having caught the chance to romance his gorgeous bride, and steal one last kiss of her before the priest officially pronounced her so, and allowed him the rights!

Sam was wise enough to know there was nothing to salvage in that opportunity now. Turning back to his mate of all ages, and brother-in-law of more recent times, he asked, "What was this news about the coach again? That good for nothing gloat is still going on about his..."

"I can hear that." It startled him so, that he nearly jumped out of his skin. Gosh indeed - had she really?! He waited, expecting more...

"Welcome to 'hubbyhood'." Rob  whispered meanwhile, careful that it could remain strictly between the two of them. "You still have an hour to change your mind before we leave for the venue," he teased.

"Right. As if." He replied making a wry face. Then automatically his expression turned softer. "I'd trade this day for nothing in a million years. Not after what its taken me to get here."

"What exactly did it take, anyway? I mean, God forbid it comes to that, but just in case - hypothetically speaking - you guys reach a situation like the one your sister and I were in a few moments ago. Or should I say the one she put me in? Anyway, like at the hospital when they ask me how you landed up in a full body cast, I should have some answers, don't ya think?"

Sam smacked him in the head, only half-playfully, half wondering what it was about marriage that turned his sweet little sister into a rolling pin-wielding Ninja woman who had his gym rat brother-in-law shaking like a leaf. But then, as he was gathering his thoughts to answer Rob's question, he started to realize...

"We'll always figure it out before we get to that point, like we always have. Remember that guy her parents liked..."

"Oh yeah," Rohan interrupted, "the dude who told them he hadn't touched a drink in his life!"

Sam continued, "Yep, and we found him singing 'These Boots are Made for Walking' while dancing on the table at La Maison in a cheetah print something-or-other!" Both burst out in uncontrollable laugher. "What all I had to do to convince her, and then her parents, what that guy was really all about. The micro mini spy cameras that the dude at the mall wouldn't let us return, even though we repackaged it and everything so it looked good as new!"

"Right, if good as new means the same thing Dev Anand thinks it means when chooses a costar a quarter of his age every other year. And it didn't help that our exploits with that camera - in those costumes - made it into the local newspaper. Yaar you should have at least called that guy to the wedding, what a great speech he would've given over the toast! At least your reminder's given me yet another story to add to my speech!"

Sam sharply interjected, "Yeah, try that. You saw Mona's magic with a blunt rolling pin just now, at the reception you'll find out what she can do with a cake knife.

Anyway, since I was talking about everything it took for Seema and I to come this far and not actually giving you ideas for how to ruin my big day and get yourself killed, let me continue. There was the guy. Then when she thought that kid who randomly walked upto me at the amusement park was my son! 6 weeks of insanity that caused!"

"To be fair," Rob inserted, "he called you Papa, and he did have the same ridiculous Billy Ray Cyrus hairstyle you were sporting at the time."

"I looked damn good that way, what would you know! Anyway, winning her trust back after that was quite a trip. And then..." suddenly clearing his throat and turning somber, "there was dad. When we lost him, we were crushed. Mom was in shock, she had hardly adjusted to life over here when it happened. She didn't even speak to anyone for a week. Only with Seema's support did she come out of it. Now look at her, she's found her inner writer and is churning out bestsellers every year. Mona has her spunk back even after swearing off of marriage because of how bad she saw mom hurting after it came to an end. I am no longer the shy pushover everyone can take advantage of because I feel like I'm somehow less worthy than them, thanks to her. Nothing in my life would be the same without Seema, so I'm gonna put up with whatever it takes to keep her in my life forever. If that involves a trip to the hospital after a mysterious encounter with a rolling pin, then so be it." 

------THE END------

Edited by spln - 25 April 2011 at 10:54am

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

..kiran..niru273a little faithAngel-Jot.WafahSmileyfacebmtdluverssroomaniwithout-fathom-Jahnvi-amail1601aish_punk

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 25 April 2011 at 12:40am | IP Logged

Using Excerpt #3

A/N: I am using the names of characters from the Star One show, Pyaar Kii Ye Ek Kahaan. Characters Used: Pia Jaiswal, Siddharth Mehra, A police Officer, Abhay Raichand, Maithili. 

The Eyes

I wasn't mindful enough of his lack of sympathy, just right then. Quite thankfully instead, I drank in a large gulp of the chilled water. Then I took in a deep breath, and closed my eyes to remember what I would have given anything to forget - the sight of those eyes through the face mask ... The translucent hazel that turned to steel when they narrowed to focus upon ... 

My own eyes fell open with a start, a shudder passing through my spine. He sat looking at me intently, and the very distant comprehending part of my mind held onto the subconscious former belief - it wasn't out of concern, but routine. He was being merely patient with me, a crucial witness to this fifth murder case in the neighbourhood, that had kept their hands full here at Scotland Yard, this entire awful week of rainy afternoons. In this weatherly respect, today was no different. 

"Blue?"

"Nuances of grey ... they turned dark ... very dark when he ... when ... " I inhaled sharply and ran a hand forcefully through the tangled mess of my long tresses. If I'd survived the sight of that ruthless stabbing, surely, I could survive speaking it out loud ... ?

"I see." 

Any other day, any other time, this man would have driven me over the edge. Why here I was, at all my nerves' end, and all he offer me was an 'I see'  ... ? Sure! He could see nothing at all. Nothing! Unknowingly, I had worked myself into something of a breathlessness. Unknowingly also, I was scowling deeply, staring, or rather glaring at him. Perhaps he sensed it, for he met my eye, interrupting his professional strokes on the canvas, sketching the murder suspect.

"Are you alright?" 

There it was, the water glass yet again, raised up for me. I wanted to scream the obvious 'no I'm not!' right into his face; instead I held back and re gathered my dissipating composure. I did however reject his attempt to drown my extreme discomfiture with mere cold water - what was I, a flushing system? 

"Excuse me?" he said sharply. The first sign of real emotion. For the first time I felt that maybe he was human.

The more I watched him, the more I saw the killer in him. Like in a typical melodrama, the killer's eyes kept flashing in my mind, until they merged with his.

And then I saw him rise. He came towards me, and reached for something inside his coat pocket. All this time, he kept staring at me, never breaking eye contact. I was mesmerised by his eyes. I was trapped. I couldn't move, couldn't run away, even though every part of my body was just twitching and trying to run. I was just...drowning.

Closer and closer.

Deeper and deeper.

And then I felt something cold and wet on my cheek.

Cold and wet? Wasn't blood supposed to be warm?

That is when I woke up to see him bending over me, holding a wet sponge to my cheek. He was actually looking concerned. Too dazed to say anything, I let him help me into a chair.

"You fainted." he informed me. After a few moments of awkward silence, he spoke again.

"Er...do you want to rest or something for a few minutes?"

"No, I am fine. Let's get this over with." I replied, unable to look into those eyes anymore. They chilled me.

"No. Please!" he blurted out.

I stared at him.

He looked around uncomfortably, refusing to meet my eyes. "No, I mean, you just fainted. You had a bad shock today."

"I would prefer to finish this right now." I told him coldly. Why was he behaving so weirdly all of a sudden? I tried to think back about what all had happened today. Something had triggered this strange reaction in him. It was almost as if he was nervous. But what was it? And why was he nervous? Was I right? Was it him?

I looked at him again. He looked up, and our eyes met. I started drowning again. Time and space had no meaning anymore. I forgot who he was, who I was, and what had happened. It didn't even matter  that I suspected him of being a serial killer. There was something between us, and in that moment, I knew that he felt it too.

Just then, the door opened and an officer came in. "Sketch done, Mehra?"

We both looked away hastily, embarrassed.

"Not yet. Ms. Jaiswal fainted."

"Oh. I'll just send in the medical officer then."

"Oh no no! Please! I am fine. I just want this to be over now." My voice cracked. Ugh...I totally hated being such a crybaby, but then, the situation was exceptional. Still, a part of my brain didn't like the excuse.

The officer looked at me strangely, and then glanced at him, and again turned his gaze upon me.  I could see what he was thinking, and my cheeks flushed. Great, that will make him less suspicious. I was quite worked up by now.

"Can we finish now?" I asked in a flat tone, trying to mask my growing rage.

"Uh...sure." I again detected hesitation in his tone.

The officer shrugged, and with one last glance at us, left the room.

I settled down in my chair and took a deep breath. He was bent over his sketchpad - a good thing because then I didn't have to look into his eyes.

Sighing, I said, "Look, I didn't see him very clearly. It was all such a blur."

"But you saw his eyes." he interrupted.

"Yes. He just turned when I yelled, and our eyes met for a few seconds."

"And they were like mine."

"Yes."

He sighed and got up to pour himself a glass of water. Looking broodily into his tumbler, he said it.

"You might be mistaken, you know."

I had had enough though. I got up, and in a tone that let him know that I was very angry but controlling myself hard, I said, "Okay, so I was there. I saw him. I was stupid and unlucky enough to be there and get involved in this thing, but I am NOT dumb enough to get such a major thing wrong!" I was shouting now, but I didn't care anymore. This man was getting on my nerves!

"Okay okay...cool down. I didn't mean it that way." he tried to assure me. I shrugged away his hand and burst ino tears. "Why are you behaving like this? Why don't you believe me? I AM telling the truth!"

"Oh my poor baby!"

He pulled me into his arms, and it felt like a homecoming. All my fear, my frustration, and the shock just poured out of me. I sobbed and sobbed, while he just held me and stroked my back and hair, murmuring softly.

A short while later, when I had calmed down, I pulled back and smiled at him shyly. He smiled back at me.

Then, suddenly his expression changed to one of grief. He called in the other officers. They took him away. I was left in the room, alone.

Half an hour later, he came into the room, looking haggard, and escorted me out. The Chief was standing just outside the door, and thanked me.

The man who I had just fallen in love with escorted me out of the building. I was stunned by the knowledge. I was in love? Wow!

I was too preoccupied with my feelings, and the sensation of his cool hand holding mine to notice his expression. We walked around aimlessly in silence. Spying an empty bench in a park, he gestured to me to sit. I could suddenly sense his tension. I waited for him to speak.

"Abhay Raichand. My brother. He was the one."

"The one?" I whispered.

He sighed. "The one who killed all those people."

It took a few minutes for that one to sink in. I felt weird. Like I wasn't there. Like this wasn't happening. My head felt like it had been pumped like a balloon.

"That is why you thought that I am the one. Our eyes..." His tone was a little affectionate, a little regretful.

I tried to clear my throat, but it hurt too much. I just continued to ask, "Why?"

"Because of me." He was angry suddenly. His tone scared me. I flinched. He saw my reaction, and pressed my hand gently.

"He is my younger brother - six years younger. We were very rich, but our parents didn't have much time for us. They expected a lot from us though. We were supposed to score good marks, participate in all extra-curricular activities and sports...and we did. We were never good enough for them though. As I grew up, I rebelled, but Abhay did not. He could not. He was just too sweet and sensitive. The pressure got to him. He became moody. He would be so angry that he would break things, and sometimes he would weep for hours. And yet, he was a good person - kind, generous, loving."

He fell silent. I waited, my body stiff with tension.

"Then four years ago, he fell in love with a girl. She had long hair and soft brown eyes, just like yours." He smiled at me. "His behaviour improved. He spent time with her. They partied, went out with other friends, and he was happy! He even started singing again. But one night when they were coming back from a concert, these drunk guys overpowered them right on her doorstep, and robbed them. When they were done, they misbehaved with the girl. When she protested, they stabbed her. Abhay tried to stop them, but they stabbed him in the neck too. He survived, but she didn't."

He was crying now, and my heart hurt to see him that way. I hugged him tightly. He continued after a while, unable to stop himself from speaking.

"He just went crazy. At first he just said he had seen her. I thought he was grieving, so it's natural. Then he started pointing out how certain girls looked just like her...I made him go to a counsellor. But since last week... I didn't know though. Do you believe me? Do you trust me? I didn't know that it was Abhay! Please believe me!"

His desperate plea touched my heart. Putting a hand on his cheek, I looked into his eyes and simply said, "I trust you."

He looked at me for a few seconds, then nodded and replied, "Thank you. It means a lot."

"So...what now?"

"They went out to arrest him. Let me check my phone." He took out his mobile and checked his messages. He nodded once, and was silent for a few minutes.

Then he took my hand and stood up. I followed suit. Hesitating a little, he asked if I would go home with him, and I agreed.

Once at his flat, he asked me to wait in the living room while he freshened up a bit. I took the opportunity to look around. The decor was dark, but tasteful. There were family pictures on one wall - the two brothers at various stages of growth, their stylish-looking parents - most were formal though. Then I saw a recent photograph of Abhay. He looked a lot like his brother, but his face was softer and more boyish. And the naughty twinkle in his eyes added to his charm.

Two arms enveloped me from behind, and I jumped. "Oh! You startled me!" I laughed nervously.

"Sorry baby. Hmm...that's Abhay. Poor boy."

"Is this an old picture?"I enquired, turning to look at it again.

"No no...it was taken two years ago at Mum's birthday. Wait. I need to get something. I'll be back." he said and rushed away.

I looked at the photograph. Something about it fascinated me. His eyes - that's how I knew him. They didn't look cruel, like they had done this morning. I looked again, shaking off a sense of foreboding. And then I knew what I had been missing.

I had to run.

I turned around, but he was there, holding a huge knife in his right hand. His smile was evil.

"So you caught me huh? I forgot that Abhay had been stabbed in the neck four years ago, but there is no scar in the photograph. So silly of me. "

He ran a finger along the blade of the knife. I swallowed nervously and backed up a little.

"So...were you the one who...?"

He chuckled. "Yeah. They killed my Maithili. I looked for her everywhere. She was gone. She never liked me again."

I backed up a little more. He was drooling now, and his eyes were dark pools.

"You liked me. You loved me. You were my Maithili. But you found out."

He stared at me.

" So now I have to kill you."

He smiled again. It was rather twisted though, more like a grimace.

He took a step forward. I took one backwards.

"Keep him talking." Oh great! Now when I needed my brain to work the most, it had deserted me. And I was hearing voices, to boot. I decided to try it anyway.

"Uh..you know what...I really do love you."

He smiled. I took a deep breath and continued.

"I love you, and I will never tell anyone that it was you. You and I, we will be together forever. What say darling?"

He smiled blissfully and moved forward to hug me. "Oh baby! My Maithili! I will make this so very easy for you. I will kill you in one go!"

He lunged towards me, but suddenly something pushed me and I fell to one side. I crawled away quickly, and kept lying down on the floor. The sounds of a scuffle filled the room.

When I woke up next, I was in the hospital.

Abhay was beside me.

"Are you okay? I am so sorry for what my brother did." He hung his head in shame.

"I...I am fine. A little thirsty though. But...how...what...?" I managed to choke out.

"They arrested me, but I had a strong alibi. Then they told me the story he had fed them, and I knew it was him. So we staked out his place. I didn't realise that you were with him. We placed your life at risk too. I really am very sorry. Do you believe me?"

I looked at his earnest face, into his clear eyes. "I believe you." I told him.

He smiled and looked into my eyes. I suddenly felt dizzy, and couldn't manage anything more...

Edited by spln - 25 April 2011 at 10:55am

The following 13 member(s) liked the above post:

sheena_123a little faithniru273ahsimaAngel-Jot.SmileyfaceWafahThinker_BellessroomaniRitziesaomom-Jahnvi-aish_punk

Post Reply New Post

Go to top