Mythological Masti

Relationships of Devi Ganga - Page 2

Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Hmm...

I read that Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati came to fetch their son from the Kritikas. It is known that Karthikeya was not born of Parvati and I am familiar with the legends as to why Lord Shiva's son multiplied himself. Any information on how he was united back into one?

The books I read refer to the birth of Lord Ganesha in a different way - without the involvement of Ganga. I read that Devi Parvati wanting to create someone to protect her privacy, moulded clay/a lump of earth or dirt with her sweat drops and when it took the form of a boy, she gave him life and a duty to guard her chambers.
Edited by Vibhishna - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: Vibhishna

Hmm...

I read that Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati came to fetch their son from the Kritikas. It is known that Karthikeya was not born of Parvati and I am familiar with the legends as to why Lord Shiva's son multiplied himself. Any information on how he was united back into one?

The books I read refer to the birth of Lord Ganesha in a different way - without the involvement of Ganga. I read that Devi Parvati wanting to create someone to protect her privacy, moulded clay/a lump of earth or dirt with her sweat drops and when it took the form of a boy, she gave him life and a duty to guard her chambers.

Yeah Parvati created Ganesha to guard her privacy, but not from clay. I think it was turmeric paste with which she was bathing. She gave him life by washing him in Gangajal. That is how Ganesha was born. Among the 108 names of Ganesha, he's known as both Gaurisuta (son of Gauri) as well as Gangeya (son of Ganga).
sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Ok so to be very honest, I didn't read the above comments.

But, Uma and Ganga are like sisters, I remember watching this somewhere. (BTW guys Jai Ganga Maiya is on Youtube 😃). And also, I think they mean that Ganga is like the mother of Ganesh and Kartikeya, because of the whole Masi = Ma Jaisi. Ganga Maa is just a mother, she is mother of all right?

And I don't think she's associated to anyone apart from Shivji. But not in the context of her being married, just because she flows out of his hair.

^ Probably already been said.

Was also watching something, apparently people have Ganesh at their entrance of their homes because he guarded Parvati Maa after she made him from the thingy she used to bath in!