Page 2 Page 3

IndigoBlues

IF-Rockerz

IndigoBlues

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 10:00am | IP Logged

Chances are you don't.

April is Autism Awareness Month.

What is autism? D'oh

Autism is a disorder of neural development characterized by impaired social interaction and communication and by restricted and repetitive behavior. Geek

Our body is controlled by the nervous system, made up of neurons. Neurons have 'gaps' called synapses between them which allow the transmission of electric or chemical signals from one cell to another.

Autism affects information processing in the brain by altering how nerve cells and their synapses connect and organize. However the way this occurs has not yet been explained. Confused

The prevalence of autism is 1-2 per 1000 people worldwide.  

However in the prevalence among children in the United States are 9 per 1000 children-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Shocked

No cure is known. Ouch

Symptoms

• No babbling by 12 months
  • No gesturing(bye bye, etc.) by 12 months
  • No single words by 16 months
  • No 2 word spontaneous phrases by 24 months
  • Any loss of language or social skills at any age
  • Ritualistic behavior-insisting on a particular menu or choice of clothes
  • Self-injury
  • Compulsive behavior
  • Stereotypy-head rolling, hands flapping
  • Restricted behavior: Attention span limited only to certain objects or forms of entertainment.

However

Though most autistic children lack social support, meaningful relationships, future employment opportunities or self-determination autism therapies are available to lessen the deficits and family distress caused by such developmental disorders. Smile

Common Misconceptions about Autism

It is not contagious. Please do not discourage your children/relatives from interacting with autistic kids.Smile

Autistic children are not 'possessed' by the devil, and they do not need to be 'exorcised'.Ermm

Autism in Media

Daniel Connelly from P.S. I Love You

Legion from X-Men

Dr. Spencer Reid from  Criminal Minds

Antara from Aapki Antara

What can I do to Help?

Try visiting these sites Smile

http://www.autism-society.org

http://globalautismproject.org

Edited by IndigoBlues - 11 April 2011 at 10:51pm

The following 36 member(s) liked the above post:

Aahaana*Shruti*pink321-Swetha-Escapistdesigirl2music2loveAngel-Jot.BilliCat.starry.phoenix_SK_..imperfect..--Pooja--Sofia.samrudhi.rScatteredCastlehoneydaisyshareenSex.DirectionswtbabyInfofanmgdg_2010hindu4lyfwezyusreemz.malik-Ritz-DUGGUliciousromiosugar1splnloveaboveall.-tellyaddict--Rinki-DulceTentacion.ruky786kavya.bCute_Ash

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "~Do You Know Anyone Who's Autistic?~" in Members Lounge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged
Thanks for the post InB! I know you were super pumped up to do this one - just so you know, you did a great job not going over-the-top-verbose and still pushing across vital details!

=)
nj

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

Escapistmusic2loveBilliCat.IndigoBluesInfofanromiosugar1ruky786

sami01

Coolbie

sami01

Posted: 14 April 2011 at 9:49am | IP Logged
awesome post dear ....indeed its  a excellent information , society needs to be aware of this ailment

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Escapistmusic2loveIndigoBluesromiosugar1ruky786

Escapist

Goldie

Escapist

Posted: 17 April 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged
Yes I do know someone whose Autistic and also the fact that April is the month of Autism Awareness....and I'm really glad you took the pains and posted the information on this site...people hardly have time to go through this stuff and some even ignore...

Good to see someone is taking the initiative...and I so wanted to support the certain organizations in my city...but sadly studies and hectic schedule leaves no time...but at least something like this is worth it !

Take care.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

music2loveIndigoBluesromiosugar1ruky786

ruky786

IF-Stunnerz

ruky786

Posted: 17 April 2011 at 9:31am | IP Logged
I have a cousin who is autistic his name is Hassan he's 12 years old but he can speak well and yh I kinda know about this month....*sigh* It's really heart warming to see people out there who help out especially my school/college they take care of him a lot. Great topic!

Escapistmusic2lovesamrudhi.rIndigoBluesromiosugar1

romiosugar1

IF-Sizzlerz

romiosugar1

Posted: 17 April 2011 at 9:48am | IP Logged
Very informative post Thumbs Up
I've heard about it, but have not seen/met any autistic kids.

Thanks for taking your time out to make such an informative post. Would love to spray abt it around my networking!! 

Edited by -Sabz- - 17 April 2011 at 12:50pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

music2loveIndigoBluesruky786

Bhavanab

Coolbie

Bhavanab

Posted: 17 April 2011 at 9:58am | IP Logged
I've volunteered in many NGO's and such schools ... I've known and have interacted with many such kids !!! They are no way disabled ... they are specially abled !!! All they need is love and attention ... a little more than others .... just a feeling that they are wanted makes them special !!! A small thing that makes them smile .... it might seem a smile for us but they're so delicate that it's a huge joy for them !!!

I'd tell everyone .... spend sometime with them ... teach them,interact with them ... not only will you have a feeling that you helped such kids.... but you'll get to learn lots from them too !!! They've taught me patience,dedication and purity in love !!! They are indeed precious gems !!! As they say " Taare Zameen Par"

Escapistmusic2lovesamrudhi.rIndigoBluesruky786

shobi12500

IF-Rockerz

shobi12500

Posted: 17 April 2011 at 10:03am | IP Logged
thanks for informing about autism

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

music2loveIndigoBlues

Post Reply New Post

Go to top