Debate Mansion

Is religious guidance important in life?!

Poll Question: Is religious guidance important in life?!

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [63.64%]
4 [36.36%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 10 April 2011 at 6:21am | IP Logged
Hi,

Is religious guidance imp in life?!Why!?

A) human can live ethically and morally without the guidance of religion, because religious teachings are the building blocks of each and every individual human being.Consciousness is something which comes through the practice of disciplined life and following the teachings of the respective religion of each individual. So to lead a life ethically and morally in the current world, people need lots of self determination and courage to withstand and wrong doings and corruption. We have freedoms today because of the guidance/ influence of religion on past human thinking. It is impossible to live today without the influence /Guidance.

B)Human can live ethically and morally without needing religion.Thousands of people everyday live morally and ethically in the world and are not practicing or a part of any religion. Just think of all the injustice being done by priests of peoples religions. 90% of the crime in the world is committed by people who are part of a religion.

&

Your views and comments!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is religious guidance important in life?!" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 1:51am | IP Logged

Yes it is good to have some religious and moral foundation.
But we should not overdo it.

Religion has to be balanced with practicality and purpose.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

monar

P1nk

IF-Dazzler

P1nk

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 5:16am | IP Logged
^Jee, i agree with the above poster, Amen.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged
Yes because most of us have too many flaws we need religion.
If we are nice and good, we do not need religion.

joie de vivre

Goldie

joie de vivre

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged
Religion is becoming increasingly irrelevant nowadays, almost as if it were an anachronism. Especially religions which haven't evolved with time. Sometimes, what a religious scripture preaches might be grossly offensive to modern human being. Homosexuality is proscribed both in Christianity and Islam, and in many Islamic countries it is a criminal offence which warrants a death sentence. Till the mid 20th century, homosexuality was a crime in much of Europe as well. Misogynist ideas can also be found in some religious texts, where women are valued less than men. Inasmuch as there's no proof that substantiates these things, I don't believe in Heaven and Hell, no more than I believe in Moksha (Heaven) and the endless cycle of rebirth (metaphoric Hell). 

An educated person living in a free society - and almost all free countries enforce strict separation of church (or temple, gurudwara, mosque et al) from state - will invariably know that some actions like rape, torture, abuse of human rights, incest and so forth are absolutely unacceptable. Morality is a subjective thing, each person may choose to adhere to his own code of rectitude, and as long as he's not causing harm to anyone else, I couldn't give two hoots whether he's "religious" or not. Bill Gates was a merciless jerk who screwed countless other peers, but I'd pick an admirably philanthropic Gates over an uber religious and morally irreproachable priest who spent his entire life praying all day. And by the same token, I admire Angelina Jolie a lot more than some of her other contemporaries who've had less scandalous pasts but have done jack squat for others.

There are enough troubles in this world as it is, many of which need our immediate attention. I'd rather people devote the time to these issues than be religious and moral and ethical but utterly solipsistic. I've always suspected there's something inherently selfish about religion; it's all about doing good so that the gates of Heaven will be open to you, or do good to attain Moksha, in that there's a desirable consequence that awaits us, almost as if we're enticed and induced with the promise of great wonders to "do good". I'd rather live without such "guidance" and bribery. If I am a moral and ethical person, let it be because I live in a free country and respect its laws and am a sympathetic person who believes it is incumbent upon me as a social being to help those in need to the best of my ability and repay my society, and not because it grants me the moral high ground over another person or because my religion promises me otherworldly rewards for my good deeds. 

Edited by joie de vivre - 11 April 2011 at 10:26am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

aadri-Beyond_the_Veil

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 4:48pm | IP Logged
Religion is a useful tool to improve ourselves and should not be abused or applied for inflating the ego.
Politicians and leaders have in the past abused it.
All human beings have a deep yearning to be happy and free and share love and knowledge. Spirituality and philosophy is one answer. But we have to walk the road. There is little progress unless we acquire the quality of goodness.
We cannot live in the dark shadows forever and time will come when we have to start searching.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top