: Hazrat Miran Shah Sahib
Best Time to Visit
BHERA is located on the mid of LAHORE-ISLAMABAD Motorway ( M2 ) at the left bank of river Jehlum near Southern Salt Range in District Sargodha. Before independence 1947 , it was located in District Shahpur.
In 326 BC Alexander the great defeated Indian ruler Porus on the banks of river Jehlum near BHERA. It was at this battle that Alexander's famous horse Bucephalus was killed . BHERA has earned a great status during the Mughal rule. Mughal emperor , Zaheer Uddin Babar mentioned about this town in his fampus book ' Tuzke Babri '.The town has to face destruction when Sher Shah Suri ( 1540-1545) defeated Humayun and the pathan forces took their revenge by this Pro-Mughal town of BHERA. However , Suri ordered to rebuild the town as well as the onion-domed JAMIA MOSQUE which exists even today.Sher Shah Suri is the founder of the present town. Old town was located on the right bank of the river. During the reign of Mughal emperor Akbar , BHERA regained its former glory and was one of the 40 cities of Mughal India having royal mint for minting gold and silver coins.Kings like Ghaznavi,Ghauri and Ahmad Shah Abdali also passed through Bhera while attcking the subcontinent .After the Sikh Raj ( 1790-1849) the British occupied Bhera till independence in 1947. "Bhera " is a word of Sanskrit , which means a place where there is no fear.The town of BHERA used to have a boundary wall and eight gates . The gates were named after the big cities located in that directions like Kabul , Lahore, Multan , Kashmir and Chiniote etc . Bhera remained famous in handicrafts and cottage industry , daggers , sword , cutlery , walking sticks , wooden furniture , carved doors , cotton blankets , silk loin cloth, hand fans , earth pottery and edible delicacies. During English period , BHERA was so renowned for wood carving that carpenters from here were taken to England to carve some of the doors of Buckingham Palace. Only a few gates have been able to survive to date , but these are also in danger of becoming ruin if these are not properly looked after and preserved. Today , the unfortunate town represents a picture of crumbling jharokas and eroded walls and roofs of havelis. Unluckly there is no official or public awareness about the treasure of the past.
Sher Shah Suri Mosque Bhera
Due to military and administrative importance of Bhera , Sultan Sher Shah Suri (1540-1545 ) constructed a grand mosque at Bhera , outside the wall city along the road. The style and structure closely resembles Mughal architecture.During Sikh regime 1799 , the grand mosque was used as a stable by Sikhs. The mosque was rebuilt by the efforts of Mufti Ahmad Uddin Bugvi in 1858 .The mosque consists of 3 large dombs , one central and two on sides. Small bricks have been used in the construction. Present establishment comprises upon Quran Hall , Hadith Hall , Boarding house , Central water pool & two minarets. Bugvia family is responsible for the management and maintenance of the mosque since 1858. The first official custodian was Ahmad Uddin Bugvi .
Bugvia Library Bhera
Bugvia Library is located in the grand Sher Shah Suri Mosque. It was established by the scholars of Bugvia family.There is a huge collection of books on different subjects of Islam. Mostly are in Arabic , persian , Urdu . A large number of hand written manuscripts are also available. This library remained a useful source of reference for students , scholars and researchers for last about 200 years.
Gates Of Bhera
Lahori Gate Bhera
Bank Of River Jehlum
Bhera is located on the left bank of river Jehlum. River is located about one kilometer from the town. Bank of river Jehlum is also nice place for picnic and enjoyments. During Mughal period , carvans from Central Asia , Kabul ,Qandahar and Peshawar used to cross the river to go to Lahore , Delhi and other parts of India. Carvans from Kashmir used to reach Bhera along with the river.
Old Mosques Of Khilji and Tughlaq Periods
There are a few other historical mosques belonging to the Tughlaq , Khilji and other eras.These Old mosques of emperor Khilji and Tughlaq can be visited during the visit of the walled town . Due to unskilled local masons and lack of awareness , these mosques have lost their original shape.
Shrine Of Muslim Saint " Hazrat Miran Shah Sahib "
Hazrat Meeran sahib was a great saint of the area who worked for the transmission of Islam in the area. His shrine is located in the westren part of the town near river Jehlum. Peoples from different parts of the area visit his shrine in the month of April to give him hamage.
Old Hindu and Sikh Temples
Old Hindu temples are also located in the city and along side the river. A beautiful Sikh temple " Gurdawara Sahib " is also located in the central part of the town. Its minaret is visible from long distance.
Edited by CuteFairy91 - 06 January 2006 at 9:30pm