Random Ramblers Timbuktoo#68!!!! - Page 5

Posted: 13 years ago

Sachin didn't see the winning shot

• Mid-Day.com
  • Last updated on Monday, 04 April 2011 11:38

Mumbai: Sachin Tendulkar didn't watch Mahendra Singh Dhoni's winning shot, a six over long on off Nuwan Kulasekara, that clinched India the World Cup final against Sri Lanka on Saturday night.

The batting maestro was inside the dressing room, his hands clasped, eyes shut and prayers on his lips. It was the deafening roar of the capacity crowd that shook him and made him realise that his life-long dream had been realised. "I was not listening to anything at that time. I was not watching too. I was just praying to God. I realised that we have won the Cup when the entire stadium went up in a cheer," Tendulkar said when MiD DAY caught up with him outside the dressing room at the Wankhede Stadium on Saturday.

He played in five World Cups before without success. His dream was fulfilled on his home ground , the Wankhede Stadium. Then, in a matter of a few moments, he moved from being immersed in himself to being lost in the frenzy of celebration. "I am really speechless. I don't know what to say! It's a feeling which I can't explain in any language," he said.

"It is a different kind of feeling. I am on a high. I believe now I am living in a different planet. It feels as if I am flying high." As he hugged his teammates one by one, tears rolled down his cheeks.

Then, as he has done on every occasion of reaching a milestone, he remembered his late father. "Khushi ke aansu bhi hote hain. Yeah, if he were here, he would have been the happiest person. He is always in my mind," Tendulkar said.

True heroes
Tendulkar was touched when the group of NSG commandos tasked with protecting him requested to be photographed with him and his family. Tendulkar immediately went into the dressing room and returned with son Arjun. Father and son posed with the commandos for the picture. "They are the real heroes. They defend our nation," the premier batsman said. The members of the Indian team might disagree, though. For them, he was God, the reason they played and won the coveted title. "I am not at all a special person. It was a nice gesture by the teammates. If you are talking about special, our nation is special. The people of our nation are special. We won the World Cup for them," Tendulkar said.

Tendulkar praised man of the tournament, Yuvraj Singh: He has been absolutely wonderful," he said.

Hey guys...wow, haven't been by in a long time. How is everyone?! Ecstatic,  I see, after the big win!! ๐Ÿ˜†

How many threads have you completed since I was last here? ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ˜†
Heyyy Vas๐Ÿค—  Long time yaar! You toh just disappeared from IF again :P lol

Yesssssssss the euphoria has us all on a high.....haha....don't think this will end anytime soon.....what a wonderful feeling this is....I have a big stupid grin permanently on my face since Saturday and I randomly jump around and start singing that De ghuma ke song.....lol....and anytime I see even one pic of those moments, I feel so emotional and proud all over again.
Edited by nureat01 - 13 years ago
Originally posted by nureat01

Heyyy Vas๐Ÿค—  Long time yaar! You toh just disappeared from IF again :P lol

Yesssssssss the euphoria has us all on a high.....haha....don't think this will end anytime soon.....what a wonderful feeling this is....I have a big stupid grin permanently on my face since Saturday and I randomly jump around and start singing that De ghuma ke song.....lol....and anytime I see even one pic of those moments, I feel so emotional and proud all over again.

Hey ๐Ÿค—  Yeah, don't ask, yaar . Work just got INSANELY busy - I had about an event a week for a while  - and I just couldn't find the time to come online...then I was unwell for a bit as well. But I missed you guys, esp. when it came to the WC - it would have been fantastic to share those moments with you on Saturday....

I was sitting at home, going through rollercoaster emotions; first innings I was moderately happy, thinking we had a shot...then Sehwag & Sachin out at 33 and I nearly cried ๐Ÿ˜† I wanted to rip Malinga's hair out strand by strand (never mind that I actually quite admire his bowling skills on any other day!)...I was sooooooo sure we had lost! I turned the TV off for about 20 minutes after that because my nerves were getting the better of me. But WHAT A COMEBACK! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Virat, Gauti & Dhoni proved just how excellent this team now is. Even though I love Sachin to death and was sad he didn't get his 100th 100, in a way I was glad that it wasn't him and Sehwag who "saved" the day; rather, it was a team effort that showed that everyone in the team is now good enough to steer us to victory. And I loved that Dhoni had the courage and sense to come out ahead of Yuvraj (and not stay hidden in the dressing room and let his team do all the hard work) and play the innings of his life. And what an innings - 2 almost centuries (plus Mahela's century = 3 centuries in one WC final!) ...

The absolute concentration on Dhoni's face throughout - no celebration as he got to 50, no smiles - that final, spectacular shot for six where he just stands and watches the ball fall into the stands before he moves....what class! ๐Ÿ‘ I truly think he is the best captain we have had in a long, long time, and Gary Kirsten is the best coach ever. Truly, the boys did not - for once in their lives - play like the underdogs. They played like champions, and they won like champions. Yuvi's every dive to save the ball in the 1st innings, Raina's excellent fielding & 38 year old Sachin diving at the boundary line to save 4 runs...this is truly a killer team. I was immensely proud of them that day, and I still can't get the massive grin off my face. 

edit: And I love that De Ghumake song now ๐Ÿ˜† Didn't listen to it much before, but now it's on permanent repeat at the moment ๐Ÿ˜† Totally suited to our Indian team spirit!
Edited by psawyer - 13 years ago

Dhoni the best captain I have played under - Tendulkar

ESPNcricinfo staff

April 4, 2011

Comments: 3 | Login via  | Text size: A | A
An emotional MS Dhoni is hugged by Sachin Tendulkar after India's victory, India v Sri Lanka, final, World Cup 2011, Mumbai, April 2, 2011
Sachin Tendulkar has rated MS Dhoni as the best captain he has played under  Getty Images
Enlarge
Related Links
Players/Officials: MS Dhoni | Sachin Tendulkar
Series/Tournaments: ICC Cricket World Cup
Teams: India

Two days after India were crowned World Champions, Sachin Tendulkar has rated MS Dhoni as the best captain he has played under during his 22-year cricket career.

"He [Dhoni] is the best captain I have played under," Tendulkar said in Mumbai. "He is very sharp and always alert. He reads the situation well and is open to sharing ideas. He always has discussions with bowlers, batsmen and senior players separately."

Tendulkar, who has played under six captains, including Mohammad Azharuddin, Sourav Ganguly and Anil Kumble, praised Dhoni's ability to maintain his composure whatever the match situation. "He is always calm and never shows his frustration. These are some of the human qualities which have made him such a good captain. He is a fantastic captain."

India beat Sri Lanka by six wickets in the final in Mumbai after coming through the knockout stages with hard-fought wins over Australia and Pakistan and a patchy performance in the group matches. Tendulkar said that India had "peaked" when it mattered the most. "In the knockout stage we peaked at the right time; it was most important. We knew either the batting was clicking, or bowling, or fielding but everything was not clicking together, but [apart from] in the last three games. Everybody contributed, right from seniors to the juniors in the team. No one can guarantee results but efforts can be [guaranteed]."

After India's victory in the final, Dhoni had said the team had felt the pressure of expectations right through the tournament. Tendulkar said the key to handling that pressure lay in focussing on individual performances. "Pressure and expectation are always there, we were thinking that as individuals we should perform our best. We were not thinking that if a bowler fails, others will take wickets like that; we wanted to do our individual best and perform as a team.

"The responsibility is on all the team members equally. Like me, it was the dream of all the team members to get this World Cup."

Tendulkar said that while lifting the trophy was on the players' minds, the focus was on restricting Sri Lanka to a gettable target and "go through the process and finish the game". He said the pre-World Cup preparatory camp the team had in Bangalore also played a key role in the team's preparation.

Tendulkar paid tribute to the efforts of outgoing coach Gary Kirsten, saying that while he would like Kirsten to continue, he respected his decision to leave, and that the team would "miss" him.

Mash, stop lurking silently๐Ÿ˜›

Originally posted by psawyer

Hey ๐Ÿค—  Yeah, don't ask, yaar . Work just got INSANELY busy - I had about an event a week for a while  - and I just couldn't find the time to come online...then I was unwell for a bit as well. But I missed you guys, esp. when it came to the WC - it would have been fantastic to share those moments with you on Saturday....Aww chalo good you've got a bit of a breather now and we get to catch up today after many days :-)

I was sitting at home, going through rollercoaster emotions; first innings I was moderately happy, thinking we had a shot...then Sehwag & Sachin out at 33 and I nearly cried ๐Ÿ˜† I wanted to rip Malinga's hair out strand by strand (never mind that I actually quite admire his bowling skills on any other day!)..LMAO I HATED that blondie Malinga.....his stupid evil grins when he got Sehwag and Sachin out just made me want to smack him so bad!๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜†.....I toh had never seen this guy before this match so had no idea about him.....I find his bowling action a bit questionable to be honest....but yeah he's a dangerous bowler.....but SO glad our batsmen tamed him ultimately......especially Gauti and Kohli in those initial overs after we were reeling from losing Sachin and Sehwag..... .I was sooooooo sure we had lost! I turned the TV off for about 20 minutes after that because my nerves were getting the better of me. But WHAT A COMEBACK! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘.lol  but yeah it was surely a crazyyyyyyyyyyyy rollercoaster of emotions....I also thought we might lose at that point....especially given our past history of losing our nerve at crucial stages....but the boys pulled it together.....SO proud of them!๐Ÿ‘

Virat, Gauti & Dhoni proved just how excellent this team now is. Even though I love Sachin to death and was sad he didn't get his 100th 100, in a way I was glad that it wasn't him and Sehwag who "saved" the day; rather, it was a team effort that showed that everyone in the team is now good enough to steer us to victory. And I loved that Dhoni had the courage and sense to come out ahead of Yuvraj (and not stay hidden in the dressing room and let his team do all the hard work) and play the innings of his life. And what an innings - 2 almost centuries (plus Mahela's century = 3 centuries in one WC final!) ...WORD.....the TEAM effort was just SO brilliant to watch....so damn proud!....Dhoni's instincts were bang on once again....the decision to come out early at this crucial stage..and play the innings of a lifetime! ๐Ÿ‘.....speaking of Yuvi, I was finding it pretty cute how serious he was.....you could see him sitting away from everyone else in the back and just watching everything with serious concentration๐Ÿ˜†.....while Bhajji, ZAK and the others sat in the front with the support staff.

The absolute concentration on Dhoni's face throughout - no celebration as he got to 50, no smiles - that final, spectacular shot for six where he just stands and watches the ball fall into the stands before he moves....what class! ๐Ÿ‘ I truly think he is the best captain we have had in a long, long time, and Gary Kirsten is the best coach ever. Truly, the boys did not - for once in their lives - play like the underdogs. They played like champions, and they won like champions. Yuvi's every dive to save the ball in the 1st innings, Raina's excellent fielding & 38 year old Sachin diving at the boundary line to save 4 runs...this is truly a killer team. I was immensely proud of them that day, and I still can't get the massive grin off my face. WORD WORD to everything once again......Dhoni is just a CLASS apart....I agree that I also don't think we've ever had this amazing a captain in a longggggggg time....there is something special in this guy.....a TRUE leader for team india who's turned things around after a history of rotating captains that couldn't quite bring the team together in a way that REALLY mattered.....THIS guy is the one to do that๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘.....his cool, calm INSPIRING confidence is unlike anything I've seen in any Indian captain before.....the FOCUS of this guy....the way he never loses sight of the goal.....never lets things get to his head....no matter how much adulation, fame or brickbats on the other end......his decisions, his strategies.....they ALL work out ultimately....He never gives up or loses his focus and concentration......and the rest of the players too.....they literally KILLED themselves for every ball, every moment....gave it their all in every way they could....from diving to save the boundaries in the fielding...to the bowling stepping up...to the batting......yes there were mistakes....but they never gave up, never stopped trying.....this was a relentless juggernaut.....victory was theirs cuz truly they didn't LEAVE any other option๐Ÿ˜†.....they EARNED it like champions!๐Ÿ‘

Two days after India were crowned World Champions, Sachin Tendulkar has rated MS Dhoni as the best captain he has played under during his 22-year cricket career.

"He [Dhoni] is the best captain I have played under," Tendulkar said in Mumbai. "He is very sharp and always alert. He reads the situation well and is open to sharing ideas. He always has discussions with bowlers, batsmen and senior players separately."

Tendulkar, who has played under six captains, including Mohammad Azharuddin, Sourav Ganguly and Anil Kumble, praised Dhoni's ability to maintain his composure whatever the match situation. "He is always calm and never shows his frustration. These are some of the human qualities which have made him such a good captain. He is a fantastic captain.".

Yesss, even Sachin endorses this๐Ÿ˜†.....No DOUBT about it....Dhoni is most DEFINITELY the best Indian captain in a longgggggggggggggg time....especially because of the qualities that Sachin just described.....Sachin himself is a great player, a great human being....but even he couldn't quite ever be that great of a captain.....there's special qualities needed for that and Dhoni has them....it's his basic personality.....those traits unique to him that really elevate him as a captain.....cuz the best players don't necessarily make the best captains....Dhoni has the right mix of talent as well as personality traits to be the great captain that he is.

And you know the other thing I love about him is how he is so humble.....he never craves the limelight....you'll see in all the moments after the victory also.....he stays in the background....never tries to jostle to hold the cup.....they have to FORCE him to come ahead and hold it๐Ÿ˜†....and in all the pictures also he's to the side....the moments right after the win when everyone's crying....Dhoni has tears in his eyes too.....but the cameras hardly manage to capture it....he just hangs back and lets the limelight shine on his team-mates and everyone else instead.....I think that is his greatness as a captain again too.....I love that one visual during the bits when the younger players are carrying Sachin on their shoulders and Dhoni, Sehwag, ZAK and Gauti are in the back walking together with their arms around each other....it's such a wonderful visual....and Dhoni's smile there is so sweet.....
Edited by nureat01 - 13 years ago

lol  but yeah it was surely a crazyyyyyyyyyyyy rollercoaster of emotions....I also thought we might lose at that point....especially given our past history of losing our nerve at crucial stages....but the boys pulled it together.....SO proud of them!๐Ÿ‘

Absolutely! I think the biggest and best  thing that has happened to this team is their self-belief, and self-confidence. Not overconfidence; but just shedding that whole underdogs thing and actually believing they can win. Otherwise in the past they would have crumbled at this stage. A lot of credit to Mahi and Gary for instilling this self-belief. 

WORD.....the TEAM effort was just SO brilliant to watch....so damn proud!....Dhoni's instincts were bang on once again....the decision to come out early at this crucial stage..and play the innings of a lifetime! ๐Ÿ‘.....speaking of Yuvi, I was finding it pretty cute how serious he was.....you could see him sitting away from everyone else in the back and just watching everything with serious concentration๐Ÿ˜†.....while Bhajji, ZAK and the others sat in the front with the support staff.

Lol, Yuvi was funny being so serious...but I am glad MS came out before him; Yuvi, as great as he is, is a tempestuous player and I was worried that he would try going too far too quickly and lose his wicket at too early a stage. And then Gauti, being slightly less experienced, would have crumbled too. So I was glad that level-headed Dhoni came out and calmed the innings, so much so that Yuvi didn't need to do too much at all! 

I was watching Virat after he got out - leaning against the wall, not taking his pads off till the end of the match; he looked very serious as well to me....

WORD WORD to everything once again......Dhoni is just a CLASS apart....I agree that I also don't think we've ever had this amazing a captain in a longggggggg time....there is something special in this guy.....a TRUE leader for team india who's turned things around after a history of rotating captains that couldn't quite bring the team together in a way that REALLY mattered.....THIS guy is the one to do that๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘.....his cool, calm INSPIRING confidence is unlike anything I've seen in any Indian captain before.....the FOCUS of this guy....the way he never loses sight of the goal.....never lets things get to his head....no matter how much adulation, fame or brickbats on the other end......his decisions, his strategies.....they ALL work out ultimately....He never gives up or loses his focus and concentration......and the rest of the players too.....they literally KILLED themselves for every ball, every moment....gave it their all in every way they could....from diving to save the boundaries in the fielding...to the bowling stepping up...to the batting......yes there were mistakes....but they never gave up, never stopped trying.....this was a relentless juggernaut.....victory was theirs cuz truly they didn't LEAVE any other option๐Ÿ˜†.....they EARNED it like champions!๐Ÿ‘

Absolutely - in Sat's game Dhoni reminded me of Arjuna from Mahabharata - the way his eyes were focused only on his goal...the guy's like a sponge, seriously - he just absorbs all that pressure so no one else has to. Whoever is at  the crease with him at the time is instantly calmer because Dhoni is there. A genius of a player - and I've always been a supporter. Even when things sometimes go wrong, or his risks turn out to make us lose, I don't curse him for that. Someone has to take risks, to think outside of the box, to try something new. It can't be Yuvraj, or any other player in the team. It has to be the captain, because he is the one who will have to stand by and justify his actions. And I loved his comment in the presentations that, had things gone the other way, his actions and decision would have been questioned to death - why Sreesanth, why come out ahead of Yuvi, etc. Though I still don't see the point of Sreesanth - he did nothing but leak runs - I do respect the fact that once Dhoni makes a decision, he sticks with it, and to hell with everyone else. If he makes a mistake, he acknowledges it; if he gets it right, we win the World Cup ๐Ÿ˜‰
[/QUOTE]

Yesss, even Sachin endorses this๐Ÿ˜†.....No DOUBT about it....Dhoni is most DEFINITELY the best Indian captain in a longgggggggggggggg time....especially because of the qualities that Sachin just described.....Sachin himself is a great player, a great human being....but even he couldn't quite ever be that great of a captain.....there's special qualities needed for that and Dhoni has them....it's his basic personality.....those traits unique to him that really elevate him as a captain.....cuz the best players don't necessarily make the best captains....Dhoni has the right mix of talent as well as personality traits to be the great captain that he is.

And you know the other thing I love about him is how he is so humble.....he never craves the limelight....you'll see in all the moments after the victory also.....he stays in the background....never tries to jostle to hold the cup.....they have to FORCE him to come ahead and hold it๐Ÿ˜†....and in all the pictures also he's to the side....the moments right after the win when everyone's crying....Dhoni has tears in his eyes too.....but the cameras hardly manage to capture it....he just hangs back and lets the limelight shine on his team-mates and everyone else instead.....I think that is his greatness as a captain again too.....I love that one visual during the bits when the younger players are carrying Sachin on their shoulders and Dhoni, Sehwag, ZAK and Gauti are in the back walking together with their arms around each other....it's such a wonderful visual....and Dhoni's smile there is so sweet.....

Yeah, I loved that article. I remember watching a lot of cricket during Ganguly's reign as captain. I like Dada, I think he's a great player...but like you said, being a great player does not necessarily equate to being a great captain. And actually, I think it hinders that process. Sachin is the best player we've ever had, but he was still not the best captain. Dhoni, conversely, is not a brilliant batsman - though of course, he is, given Saturday - but he is the best captain. To be the best batsman in the world, to be the "God of cricket", you have to have a singleminded focus towards that - and being a captain can distract from that. 

But yes - he's so incredibly humble; in all the interviews, post-match speeches, he mentions everyone else but himself. And so it should be. But I remember that as they all took their photos with the cup, Dhoni was nowhere to be seen; he was hiding right at the back ๐Ÿ˜† but that only makes me love him more - nothing's worse than a captain who thinks he's better than everyone else. 

But also, the same can be said of Gary Kirsten - he never wants the limelight; in fact he looked mildly embarrassed (but secretly pleased!) when the guys were carrying him across on their shoulders!

And I loved that everyone dedicated this win to Sachin, and when Virat said "Sachin has carried the burden of the nation for 21 years, it was about time we carried him", I was so damn proud. I thought, when did these guys grow up? ๐Ÿ˜† They're just so mature, so well-spoken and well-intentioned. When Sachin and Yuvi hugged on the grounds, I couldn't help sigh....

Sachin, for all his "God-like" status, was such a bacha! ๐Ÿ˜† Running down the pavilion, waving his hands in the air and jumping up and down with joy - would anyone believe that this man is considered the best cricketer in the world? Would they believe he is 22 years old in this business? The most humble human being I have ever come across - he deserves every platitude going. 

I think the biggest and best  thing that has happened to this team is their self-belief, and self-confidence. Not overconfidence; but just shedding that whole underdogs thing and actually believing they can win. Otherwise in the past they would have crumbled at this stage. A lot of credit to Mahi and Gary for instilling this self-belief. Yes very true....it's not overconfidence....it's self-belief and a special kind of confidence that I've never seen in the Indian team before....truly amazing๐Ÿ‘

Yuvi, as great as he is, is a tempestuous player and I was worried that he would try going too far too quickly and lose his wicket at too early a stage. And then Gauti, being slightly less experienced, would have crumbled too. So I was glad that level-headed Dhoni came out and calmed the innings, so much so that Yuvi didn't need to do too much at all!

Hmmm I don't know.....Yuvi has held his nerve and really come through for the team in the previous two crucial matches...especially the Australia one which was deffo a battle that was uphill.....yes he's a tempestous player otherwise but he's kept his nerve for many crucial situations in this cup, much to my surprise๐Ÿ˜†.....so I think he might have for this situation as well.....but I feel this was Dhoni's time.....his moment to regain glory in style at the most crucial moment.....it was just destined......

When Gauti got out, I felt bad for him but I smiled for a second as well and thought....it was destined that Yuvi-Dhoni the epic team would win this in the final stretch together for their country. Yuvi didn't even try to do much when he came out even though he could have....he didn't try to go for stupid shots and kept the focus on just getting the runs even if ones or twos....so I'm sure earlier up the order also he'd have done the same....but he let Dhoni have center-stage....it's an understanding they all have that I think is great to watch.....they were playing for the TEAM....not for personal glory.

However it came to be....we will all love Dhoni for ending it in STYLE like he did.....epicccc๐Ÿ‘

Absolutely - in Sat's game Dhoni reminded me of Arjuna from Mahabharata - the way his eyes were focused only on his goal...the guy's like a sponge, seriously - he just absorbs all that pressure so no one else has to. Whoever is at  the crease with him at the time is instantly calmer because Dhoni is there. A genius of a player - and I've always been a supporter. Even when things sometimes go wrong, or his risks turn out to make us lose, I don't curse him for that. Someone has to take risks, to think outside of the box, to try something new. It can't be Yuvraj, or any other player in the team. It has to be the captain, because he is the one who will have to stand by and justify his actions. And I loved his comment in the presentations that, had things gone the other way, his actions and decision would have been questioned to death - why Sreesanth, why come out ahead of Yuvi, etc. Though I still don't see the point of Sreesanth - he did nothing but leak runs - I do respect the fact that once Dhoni makes a decision, he sticks with it, and to hell with everyone else. If he makes a mistake, he acknowledges it; if he gets it right, we win the World Cup ๐Ÿ˜‰ That's a great analogy....truly his focus is like that of Arjun......but funny how all the parody posters for this match were painting him as Ram leading his army over to defeat Lanka๐Ÿ˜†.....his comments at the presentation were really good.....love how matter of fact and honest he is.....he is so grounded...he knows things could go either way and he's always prepared for that....but he still stands by his decisions 100% even though we may not always agree with them๐Ÿ˜†......Sreesanth ka tukka lag gaya I think....Dhoni wanted a pace bowler and Nehra bechara got injured or it'd be him....oh well Sreesanth wasn't THAT horrendous also....all our bowlers leaked runs after a point....like poor ZAK got hammered the most in the final overs by Jayawardene.