Book Talk

|| BBC's Pride and Prejudice Corner || (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 9

Page 1 Page 7
Page   of 9
Page 9 Page 9

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:21am | IP Logged
The ball at Sir Lewis's house:

Charlotte notices that Jane and Charles Bingley seem to have gotten really close since he came to Hertfordshire, and advises Lizzie that if Jane is in love, she should make her feelings more evident so that Charles is left in no doubt of them when he wishes to propose, but Lizzie denies saying that if a woman is in love, it is the man's duty to find out about it, and that Jane should be under no obligation to reveal more than she feels.

^^ I remember my AP English teach made us analyze this scene from the book...it really has some great lessons when we read it word for word and understand that.Clap The movie could not include the whole conversation since it was really long in the book, but it's one of those scenes that shows us just how intelligent Charlotte really was.

Meanwhile, Darcy asks Lizzie to dance and she gets her revenge on him for insulting her at the assembly at Meryton and refuses him back.LOL

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "|| BBC's Pride and Prejudice Corner || (Page 8)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Originally posted by Savage

Originally posted by angelirebelli

BBC's Pride n Prejudice has got to be on e of the best adaptations of all times. 
They had the best best star cast and sets..Since then I have become a huge fan of the screenwriter Andrew Davies... 

Colin Firth was a treat to watch.. the expressions, reactions, and the transformation was simply super... 

Bring on anything P n P .. am up for it.. Smile

This is one adaptation you can call indeed an adaptation. You see, HP has let me down sometimes with the maneuvering of the books in the movies and so has the 2005 P&P movie, this hasn't. This is precisely the book's, and might I add - wondrously enacted! Naturally, now when I read P&P, I have these characters in my head, and their benchmark expressions!   

Very true!

The HP movies, despite being really good with an amazing cast, did let me down many times when they mis-represented important scenes and completely skipped out on others.Ermm 

And I can't even think of the 2005 P&P without rolling my eyes. Sorry if any of you are fans, but when it comes to movie adaptations, I find it really important that they stick to characterization and important details of the book, and the 2005 P&P really messed up the story big time...the actor chosen to play Darcy was one of the worst...Lizzie and Jane were okay, but they were nowhere near as experienced as the ones from BBC, and they made Bingley a total perv.Geek Do any of you guys recall the scene where he 'playfully' spanked Jane? Dude, I was like...ShockedSilly

I am in complete agreement with your view on PnP 2005.. it sucked big time.. Mathew Macfayden?!!?  what were they thinking... >sigh< 

Colin Firth has cast such a long shadow with his portrayal of Darcy that measuring up would be almost impossible nee impossible.. 

There wasn't one scene I liked in the movie.. it didn't show class, sophistication et al.. seemed to me they made it for the heck of making it.. I hated the last scene by the lake/fountain.. that was utter crapp...they took too many liberties with the screenplay and the locations were so shabby...I could go on but. .. i hope you get the picture...I was massively disappointed in it...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged
Lizzie at Netherfield during Jane's illness:

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged
Caroline Bingley, miffed that Darcy is paying no attention to her, asks Lizzie to take a walk about the room because she knows of Darcy's interest in the second Bennet sister. Lizzie and Darcy exchange a witty conversation which leaves Caroline Bingley completely lost.LOL

angelirebelli

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:44am | IP Logged

angelirebelli

angelirebelli

IF-Dazzler

angelirebelli

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:58am | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Caroline Bingley, miffed that Darcy is paying no attention to her, asks Lizzie to take a walk about the room because she knows of Darcy's interest in the second Bennet sister. Lizzie and Darcy exchange a witty conversation which leaves Caroline Bingley completely lost.LOL

This is one of my fav scenes... the repartee was just fabulous...

lola610

IF-Rockerz

lola610

Posted: 19 November 2011 at 5:36pm | IP Logged
Hi all! Upon Janu's repeated recommendation I finally watched and finished this series... and I loved it! It feels really authentic even though I've only skimmed the book, and the actors are so subtle with Austen's witty dialogues that they come across even more effectively. I particularly love Mr. Bennet and particularly hate Lady Catherine (which probably suggests that she portraed the character that well LOL), and I doubt a better Lizzie and Darcy will ever be found because both brought out the maturity and growth in their characters so perfectly. More on my views later, for now a couple of sigs to share with you all... feel free to use:

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

angelirebelli..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 19 November 2011 at 7:02pm | IP Logged
^^ OMG!!!! LOVE that Darcy-Lizzie sig, Lola, using it at ONCE! :D

Yup, I don't think there's anyone who actually likes Lady Catherine, LOL...the actress did portray her character well. In fact, everyone did...including Colonel Fitzwilliam despite being such a small character. And yeah, I've watched other P&P adaptatons but none of them have come close to being as perfect as BBC's. Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle are the best Darcy-Lizzie you can ever find anywhere.

So are you going to read the book now that you've seen the mini-series?

lola610

Post Reply New Post

Go to top