Book Talk

|| BBC's Pride and Prejudice Corner || (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 9

Page 1 Page 6
Page   of 9
Page 8 Page 9

-Srushti-

Viewbie

-Srushti-

Posted: 27 October 2011 at 12:58pm | IP Logged
The one dialogue that I am absolutely a fan of, is when, Jane is wishing Elizabeth gets the same happiness, she got, after Mr. Bingley proposed ...It was then Elizabeth says this 'You give me 40 such men, and  I will not be as happy. Until I don't have your goodness, I cannot have your happiness!'...Elizabeth has always been so intelligent and poised..but yet somehow she was bit arrogant ..her superiority, her pride of her intelligence...but this Elizabeth, the Elizabeth who spoke these words, was almost like a Darcy polished Elizabeth that had come into play...a woman who was now fallible enough, humble enough to know her weaknesses, that she was not as 'good' as Jane, and so she could not have attained the utter bliss that Jane was experiencing right now..at the same time reasserting that she was not unhappy,  she was just the way she was !

Edited by -Srushti- - 27 October 2011 at 12:58pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

angelirebelli..RamKiJanaki..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "|| BBC's Pride and Prejudice Corner || (Page 7)" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Srushti-

The one dialogue that I am absolutely a fan of, is when, Jane is wishing Elizabeth gets the same happiness, she got, after Mr. Bingley proposed ...It was then Elizabeth says this 'You give me 40 such men, and  I will not be as happy. Until I don't have your goodness, I cannot have your happiness!'...Elizabeth has always been so intelligent and poised..but yet somehow she was bit arrogant ..her superiority, her pride of her intelligence...but this Elizabeth, the Elizabeth who spoke these words, was almost like a Darcy polished Elizabeth that had come into play...a woman who was now fallible enough, humble enough to know her weaknesses, that she was not as 'good' as Jane, and so she could not have attained the utter bliss that Jane was experiencing right now..at the same time reasserting that she was not unhappy,  she was just the way she was !

So true! Not only Darcy, but even Elizabeth overcame her Pride by the end of the series.

When we first dwell on the title, we think 'Pride' refers to Darcy and 'Prejudice' refers to Elizabeth, but when we really analyze the characters, we realize that it goes both ways...both Elizabeth and Darcy were proud and prejudiced about each other and also themselves, and both overcame them by the end of the book.

Darcy's humbleness is reflected through the way he saved the Bennet family's honor because of Lydia's elopement, while Elizabeth's is reflected through her conversations with Jane.

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 9:58am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Savage

Originally posted by angelirebelli

BBC's Pride n Prejudice has got to be on e of the best adaptations of all times. 
They had the best best star cast and sets..Since then I have become a huge fan of the screenwriter Andrew Davies... 

Colin Firth was a treat to watch.. the expressions, reactions, and the transformation was simply super... 

Bring on anything P n P .. am up for it.. Smile

This is one adaptation you can call indeed an adaptation. You see, HP has let me down sometimes with the maneuvering of the books in the movies and so has the 2005 P&P movie, this hasn't. This is precisely the book's, and might I add - wondrously enacted! Naturally, now when I read P&P, I have these characters in my head, and their benchmark expressions!   

Very true!

The HP movies, despite being really good with an amazing cast, did let me down many times when they mis-represented important scenes and completely skipped out on others.Ermm 

And I can't even think of the 2005 P&P without rolling my eyes. Sorry if any of you are fans, but when it comes to movie adaptations, I find it really important that they stick to characterization and important details of the book, and the 2005 P&P really messed up the story big time...the actor chosen to play Darcy was one of the worst...Lizzie and Jane were okay, but they were nowhere near as experienced as the ones from BBC, and they made Bingley a total perv.Geek Do any of you guys recall the scene where he 'playfully' spanked Jane? Dude, I was like...ShockedSilly

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

angelirebelli

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:09am | IP Logged
The Assembly at Meryton
Mrs. Bennet. Lizzie, and Jane are introduced to Charles Bingley, and he and Jane form an instant liking to each other. Mrs. Bennet instantly takes a dislike to the cold, aloof Mr. Darcy, whereas she sees Mr. Bingley as her soon-to-be son-in-law despite not knowing him for an hour.LOL

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:14am | IP Logged
Bingley tries to get Darcy to dance with Lizzie, but he refuses vehemently and insults her by saying she is not handsome enough to tempt him, and that moreover he is not in the habit of dancing with women who are slighted by other man (there were more women than men in the assembly, so while all the men danced with someone, a few women were forced to sit down, Elizabeth being one of them). Elizabeth hides her hurt by laughing and instantly bad mouths Mr. Darcy to her best friend Charlotte.

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 16 November 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged
Posting another scene now...

Post Reply New Post

Go to top