Book Talk
Book Talk

India-Forums

|| BBC's Pride and Prejudice Corner || (Page 5)

..RamKiJanaki.. IF-Stunnerz
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 12 April 2011 at 2:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Kanky-

Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Hey, can you please PM me the links to those sites? I am dying to watch the whole thing again, and I can't punch a whole through my pocket buying the DVDs. Ouch

The series is kind of perfect. I am not typical as far as romances are concerned, I am like the no nonsense kid - but this whole thing gives me five good soothing minutes. I am left with an intolerably enchanting feeling for the rest of the day.

I find myself reading bits of the book and searching YT for the same scenes from this series when I am the cheesy kind of low. What's your favorite bit? I think the first proposal stands totally out, it's a classic! 

I'll def look some up and PM you....you can also check youtube for different uploaders, because my sis and I once watched all of P&P on youtube and the entire series was there. It's a pretty old series, so I'm sure many people uploaded it since it's an all time fav.

I know what you mean, the romance in P&P is not the girly, everday cliche kind. It's really unique and subtle, and the characters are so natural too. You can really connect and relate with them, esp Lizzie and Jane. And of course, no other Jane Austen hero is as desperately desired for as Mr. Darcy. He's truly one of a kind.Smile I read other Jane Austen books, and my fav after P&P is Mansfield Park....the plot's really interesting and the characters really vivd too, but even Edmund Bertram, the sweet and innocent hero of Mansfield Park, isn't as sought-after as Mr. Darcy.

You should def finish the book if you find the time. It really helps you understand the series better, and the series in turn helps you understand the book better. My High School AP English teacher made us read the book and see this series side-by-side, and it really helped a lot.

Yeah, the first proposal is def one of a kind, I can never stop laughing at poor Mr. Darcy in that scene.ROFL God, if a guy ever proposed to me like that, I'd slap him across the face, but Mr. Darcy...we just have to sympathize with him.Wink My favorite scene is the one where Darcy sees Lizzie at Pemberley and shows his true personality to her. Lizzie first realizes her feelings for him there, and the whole scene is really sweet and makes us wish for a guy like Mr. Darcy in our own lives.Day Dreaming

Even I watched the entire series on YT. But some scenes are really missing, some parts went gayab out of nowhere. And hey, I have read the whole novel bout four times. I am a maniac, like a P & P maniac. I keep reading my fave bits every now and then. 

The first proposal is heavy, love. I dun laugh, I am busy calculating the magnitude of passion that the scene showcases. Mr. Darcy is hopeless and uh, if somebody proposes to me like that - I would punch him in the chest and even if I dun like him, I would still ask me to give me some time off to think. This man isn't pampering, his endeavor is written allover his face - I like Darcy. I like him way too much. The scene in which he pens down the letter to Elizabeth is also extremely powerful. 

Wish Mister Darcy was in our lives? Naw, real men dun stand a chance to be anybody like him. And why would I be crazy bout the novel, anyway if I have such men rounc me, you know? Fictional fiction is always good, it shouldn't get real. Uh! 

I have read half of Emma and the first chapter of Sense and Sensibilities. The latter is very slow, and the former I am going to finish soon. 

Oh, okay, I thought you meant you never read the book at all.EmbarrassedLOL Yeah, same here, I've read the book about 3 times and seen the series 4. It never gets old.Day Dreaming

Yeah, the first proposal is def heavy, you can really read Mr. Darcy's anxiety and frustration the way Colin Firth portrayed him, he was just excellent.Clap Honestly, Colin Firth is Darcy for me, I imagine the character in the book exactly like that. I also love the letter part, there is such depth and poignancy in that scene, really amazing!

Lols, I guess you are right that perfect heros are best left to books, though I like to imagine they are really around somewhere.LOL 

Sense and Sensibility really is very slow, I couldn't get into it for a long time, and I found Emma super boring till the end. For some reason, only Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey came close to retaining the magic of P&P. Though a lot of people love S&S and Emma, I couldn't get into them too much.Ermm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

epiphany.

epiphany. IF-Sizzlerz
epiphany.
epiphany.

Crazy Creative Minion

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 7:35am | IP Logged
Never reading the book at all would have been like hell. I mean it, the books part of the list of the few things I like and I am never bored of. That'd be horrific! Ouch

Funny thing is, Mister Darcy was Mayank Sharma to me for a lot of time. There was this  P & P drama track in Miley Jab Hum Tum which compelled me to read the novel myself. I was twelve years old back then and I could only understand the whole novel in my second attempt. Strangely, the funniest parts I dint understand in my first and they still crack me up, now that I understand em. Like the classic Bennet couple's conversations. Eventually, things changed and I could segregate between Mayank and Darcy. Colin Firth, the younger Colin Firth on that is the Darcy in my copy of the novel too, mostly. 

I haven't been able to manage through any other classic, lately. I read and I leave it halfway, I dunno what's wrong - this book doesn't let me like anything else, I think. So I can never turn my back at it. LOL

Edited by -Kanky- - 13 April 2011 at 7:36am

..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged

Never reading the book at all would have been like hell. I mean it, the books part of the list of the few things I like and I am never bored of. That'd be horrific! Ouch

Funny thing is, Mister Darcy was Mayank Sharma to me for a lot of time. There was this  P & P drama track in Miley Jab Hum Tum which compelled me to read the novel myself. I was twelve years old back then and I could only understand the whole novel in my second attempt. Strangely, the funniest parts I dint understand in my first and they still crack me up, now that I understand em. Like the classic Bennet couple's conversations. Eventually, things changed and I could segregate between Mayank and Darcy. Colin Firth, the younger Colin Firth on that is the Darcy in my copy of the novel too, mostly. 

I haven't been able to manage through any other classic, lately. I read and I leave it halfway, I dunno what's wrong - this book doesn't let me like anything else, I think. So I can never turn my back at it. LOL

Aww, I know what you mean, the book is just classic. You just gotta read it sometime during your life.Smile If it was up to me, every high schooler would be required to read it regardless of which kind of English class they're in.LOL

Lols, that's so funny! I never followed Miley Jab Hum Tum, but I saw a few epis and made a few sigs in the past as well. I can see why you'd confuse Darcy for Mayank.WinkLOL 

Oh wow, you have a book with Colin Firth on the front? Where did you find it?!Shocked My book has the typical Regency drawing of Jane and Lizzie, nothing too special about it.

I know, it's the same for me too! Whenever I read any other Jane Austen or Regency book, I just can't love it as much as P&P so I always end up either not finishing it or finding fault in it even if hundreds of others love it.LOL You should read Mansfield Park though, it's def the next best after P&P. 

epiphany.

epiphany. IF-Sizzlerz
epiphany.
epiphany.

Crazy Creative Minion

Posted: 13 April 2011 at 9:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Aww, I know what you mean, the book is just classic. You just gotta read it sometime during your life.Smile If it was up to me, every high schooler would be required to read it regardless of which kind of English class they're in.LOL

Lols, that's so funny! I never followed Miley Jab Hum Tum, but I saw a few epis and made a few sigs in the past as well. I can see why you'd confuse Darcy for Mayank.WinkLOL 

Oh wow, you have a book with Colin Firth on the front? Where did you find it?!Shocked My book has the typical Regency drawing of Jane and Lizzie, nothing too special about it.

I know, it's the same for me too! Whenever I read any other Jane Austen or Regency book, I just can't love it as much as P&P so I always end up either not finishing it or finding fault in it even if hundreds of others love it.LOL You should read Mansfield Park though, it's def the next best after P&P. 
For a long time, my definition of a perfect young man was Mayank's character sketch. Lately, I have realized I still stick to it but I have also grown up and grown up too much to consider him desirable. Same goes with Darcy and Jacob Black. Perfect but unreal, I admire them anyhow. 

No, no! What I meant was that even I visualize Colin Firth as Mister Darcy. I talk in circles, dun I? LOL And hey, I'd love to see your MJHT creations. What's regency, by the way? Sure, I will read Mansfield Park, but the next on my list is Wuthering Heights, read it? 

..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 19 May 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged

^ Regency is the time period in which Jane Austen wrote Pride and Prejudice and her other novels. It was distinct from other time periods of England in clothing, fashion, manners, etc, so you will notice that novels set in the Regency Era are quite different from novels set in other historical eras of England.

I haven't read Wuthering Heights...I started it but got bored. Will probably pic it up again soon.
..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 19 May 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged
I am back with another pic update, guys! This time it features Mr. Darcy's first proposal, where he declares to Elizabeth that he loves her against his very judgment and character, and makes such a fool of himself in front of her that we can see the disgusting radiating off of Elizabeth's face.LOL

epiphany.

..RamKiJanaki..
..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 19 May 2011 at 12:59pm | IP Logged
Part Two

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Srushti-epiphany.

s.kundan Newbie
s.kundan
s.kundan