Two questions!

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

tintiny

IF-Dazzler

tintiny

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 11:43am | IP Logged
Dear Friends,

Cricket is hampering my serial watching, last week did not get chance and today since South Africa decided to get out quickly got to see some portion of the episode... but I have two questions?

1)  Clapping - I think clapping was a very western concept, it came to India through the Britishers, in today's episode when the citizen clap at Dhananand's words I thought it highly looked out of place...in India if something had to be appreciated people used to cry ..sadhu..sadhu...in about 350 years before christ...chapping ...errrr

2)  I am do not know about Chanakya's father but when Dhananand said to Chanakya about the treatment his father Maharaj Nand gave to Chanakya's father I was somewhat surprised to hear as while coming to Magadh, Chanakya was singing praises of Magadh to his deciple...why would someone do that if he had bad memories of the place ? 

Your thought friends, love Tin

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Sinha18RadhikeraniKissOfDeath

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Two questions!" in Chandragupta Maurya forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

rinku4u

IF-Dazzler

rinku4u

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 12:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by tintiny

Dear Friends,

Cricket is hampering my serial watching, last week did not get chance and today since South Africa decided to get out quickly got to see some portion of the episode... but I have two questions?

1)  Clapping - I think clapping was a very western concept, it came to India through the Britishers, in today's episode when the citizen clap at Dhananand's words I thought it highly looked out of place...in India if something had to be appreciated people used to cry ..sadhu..sadhu...in about 350 years before christ...chapping ...errrr

2)  I am do not know about Chanakya's father but when Dhananand said to Chanakya about the treatment his father Maharaj Nand gave to Chanakya's father I was somewhat surprised to hear as while coming to Magadh, Chanakya was singing praises of Magadh to his deciple...why would someone do that if he had bad memories of the place ? 

Your thought friends, love Tin

welll tin .Big smile..  if i can help u i  dunno but lemme try ... Chanakya was a brahmin & a teacher too so he said "sadhu -sadhu" .. but dhananand was a Kshatriya   so he may not use . & regarding the  people  i think  clapping was a form of appreciation to the deed.  but wen a learned man appreciates a  thinking  den i guess its said sadhu-sadhu . Smile

Vishnugupt & His father were tru sons of the soil. but Chanak challenged the administration system so he was beheaded & this led way to Chanakya's ambition to be a good teacher .its according to texts & the serial "Chanakya". but i think here its shown that  He came to know about this truth under the gallows
Smile

Edited by rinku4u - 25 March 2011 at 12:02pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

KissOfDeathtiny15

tintiny

IF-Dazzler

tintiny

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 9:33pm | IP Logged
Nothing to do with Brahminism Rinku, Sadhu- Sadhu is just an example which was also used in Bengal say about 100 years ago, something like 'kya-baath or subanallah' etc...hence the clapping looked very odd to me...they could have cried, Maharaj Dhananand ki jai etc etc...

Regarding Chanakya's father,  of course he knew, for a man like Vishnugupt not to know would have been something very out of place, I think I will treat is at just another blooper...but then I am loving the show as of now....

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

rinku4u

rinku4u

IF-Dazzler

rinku4u

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 10:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by tintiny

Nothing to do with Brahminism Rinku, Sadhu- Sadhu is just an example which was also used in Bengal say about 100 years ago, something like 'kya-baath or subanallah' etc...hence the clapping looked very odd to me...they could have cried, Maharaj Dhananand ki jai etc etc... Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile but another thing u noticed ? de were  not supporting the punishment of a Brahmin but den how can they clap?LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Regarding Chanakya's father,  of course he knew, for a man like Vishnugupt not to know would have been something very out of place, I think I will treat is at just another blooper..Clap.but then I am loving the show as of now....- exactly .. but what can we do coz "DISCLAIMER" notice is always  tagged  before the show startsShocked

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

tintiny

blokes

Goldie

blokes

Posted: 21 April 2011 at 7:59pm | IP Logged
actually, tin, there is evidence of clapping in appreciation in the Mahabharata. The Sanskrit word for clapping is Asphota.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

RBO_Addicttiny15

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.