Balika Vadhu
Balika Vadhu

daaktar - isskul etc

rgattu Senior Member
rgattu
rgattu

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 3:48am | IP Logged

Hi all

I have seen a lot of you commenting on the pronunciation and accent etc...

My mother teaches in a premium ICSE school. Her subject is Physics and she teaches class 10,9 and 8.
She studied in kannada medium - 10th, Inter, Degree etc... as she is from a small village...

She has been working for more than 20 yrs in a big city...she was a housewife first and then due to some circumstances she had to venture out and start working and she literally learnt spekaing English from my sister and me.

She still says JERO for ZERO, FLATFORM for PLATFORM and many more which some of you might find very amusing and deduce that she might be uneducated.

But I am proud of my Mum, she is the HOD for Physics in her school, she is a member of ICSE Board Delhi and is a big part of the Board processes and she is most importantly a TEACHER in an English Medium premier school where probably even the watchman says ZERO and not JERO...but does it matter?

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

rendezvousmridula27Autumn_Fairycuty_kruchira23MonMadcimbaanu rulztvdekhaanjani-pagliPrinsesse.Suvinami2811

shon703 Senior Member

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 4:38am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
rgattu Senior Member
rgattu
rgattu

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 4:53am | IP Logged
Originally posted by shon703

yeh we are also kannadigas
yes my mom also says ALARAM  for alarm- infact my dad is director of company he says alaram

and for words like proof - PROOPF
for place like chicago wher it is spelt sheekago they actual pronounce it as cheecyaago and for

SWITZERALAND SWIZZERLAND

Me and my husband  have anice laugh so many times

@Shon703, I think you misunderstand me... I don't laugh at my mum...

my point was that pronunciation is not something that should be made fun of.
English is a foreign language used primarily in urban areas of India as a main language, but most of rural India (which is the majority) still speak the local language...

and education is not to be equated with how well one speak's English...
I studied in a convent school and was happy with the way I spoke English ...never gave it a second thought
when I started living in London I realised my mistake...there were words that I wasn't getting right...

my point is - please don't equate education with how well one pronounces English words...one may be highly educated and not speak a word of English!

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

ghotalaztvdekhaanjani-paglianu rulz

shon703 Senior Member

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 5:43am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
ruchira23 Goldie
ruchira23
ruchira23

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 6:07am | IP Logged
i agree with u rgattuSmile it happens b'coz of regional touch. my mamu belongs to jamshedpur and we are bengali so whenever he speaks in english he often makes a different pronunciation like(besht- to best, phrend- to friend. he is a mechenical engineer in tata

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

rgattughotalaz

rgattu Senior Member
rgattu
rgattu

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 6:13am | IP Logged
thanks ruchira...i am happy there are atleast 2 of you who commented on this post...
i felt strongly about this and hence opened the thread, but when it was getting viewed but no response, i was surprised...it felt a bit weird!

but anyways, topic very close to my heart because i know what my mum went through at her first job because of her English despite being extremely good in her subject...i was in 9th class! and my sis in 7th...we taught her to speak

and my hubby is from Jampot!

Edited by rgattu - 21 March 2011 at 10:45am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ghotalaz

ammoos IF-Sizzlerz
ammoos
ammoos

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 8:52am | IP Logged
The recent cmments of us has nothing to do with region or has any connection with village. It's all because little Anandi used to pronounce them correctly and ever since the first leap she has completely become uneducated. Doctor became daaktar and school became iskool. If she was the same from right beginning the problem is not there. Why she has to act so dumb all of a sudden.

Edited by ammoos - 21 March 2011 at 10:04am

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

rgattuEkta76ruchira23divmathghotalazpjyoradtanu rulzkhusi_*

rgattu Senior Member
rgattu
rgattu

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged
@ammoos
but my point also was not in context of Anandi at all...

my point was not to equate education and English...thats all.

especially in india i have always seen that anyone who is well spoken in english we think they are properly educated, thats all i wanted to point out...

and anyway lack of exposure reverts you...i can vouch for that because i have...

please dont take offence... it was just to give an example that we can be very wrong judging people by one's english skills, thats all...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ruchira23ghotalaz

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index