Posted: 13 years ago

Holi - the festival of colors - is undoubtedly the most fun-filled and boisterous of Hindu festival. It's an occasion that brings in unadulterated joy and mirth, fun and play, music and dance, and, of course, lots of bright colors!

During Holi, practices, which at other times could be offensive, are allowed. Squirting colored water on passers-by, dunking friends in mud pool amidst teasing and laughter, getting intoxicated on bhaang and reveling with companions is perfectly acceptable. In fact, on the days of Holi, you can get away with almost anything by saying, "Don't mind, it's Holi!" (Hindi = Bura na mano, Holi hai.)

THE MYTHOLOGY

The festival of Holi is celebrated on the day after the full moon in early March every year.

Originally a festival to celebrate good harvests and fertility of the land, Holi is now a symbolic commemmoration of a legend from Hindu Mythology. The story centres around an arrogant king who resents his son Prahlada worshipping Lord Vishnu. He attempts to kill his son but fails each time. Finally, the king's sister Holika who is said to be immune to burning, sits with the boy in a huge fire. However, the prince Prahlada emerges unscathed, while his aunt burns to death. Holi commemorates this event from mythology, and huge bonfires are burnt on the eve of Holi as its symbolic representation.

This exuberant festival is also associated with the immortal love of Krishna and Radha, and hence, Holi is spread over 16 days in Vrindavan as well as Mathura - the two cities with which Lord Krishna shared a deep affiliation. Apart from the usual fun with coloured powder and water, Holi is marked by vibrant processions which are accompanied by folk songs, dances and a general sense of abandoned vitality.

The festival's preamble begins on the night of the full moon. Bonfires are lit on street corners to cleanse the air of evil spirits and bad vibes, and to symbolize the destruction of the wicked Holika, for whom the festival was named. The following morning, the streets fill with people running, shouting, giggling and splashing. Marijuana-based bhang and thandai add to the uninhibited atmosphere.

Promptly at noon, the craziness comes to an end and everyone heads to either the river or the bathtub, then inside to relax the day away and partake of candies. In the afternoon an exhausted and contented silence falls over India.

wish you all a very jhappy holi....may god fill your whole life with such beautiful colours....all kriya, arja fans...arhaan bhai , pooja, anupamji, asmithaji...and all the casts and crew of mkap....wish you all...god bless...
Thanks a lottttttttttt Tanth...

My kid had his frist ever holi celebration at his school today n was not wanting to get off the colors from his face.... :-)
My best ever holi is this year...(as such normally we dont celebrate holi)

Wishing all of you a very wonderful n colorful Holi :-)
Edited by HamiSky - 13 years ago
happy holi to all of my sis nd friends here
Wishing everyone a Happy Holi....Let the colours flow and relationships renew and have loads of fun..

Edited by starlight123 - 13 years ago
Originally posted by HamiSky

Thanks a lottttttttttt Tanth...

My kid had his frist ever holi celebration at his school today n was not wanting to get off the colors from his face.... :-)
My best ever holi is this year...(as such normally we dont celebrate holi)

Wishing all of you a very wonderful n colorful Holi :-)

Belcome, Hams

I can imagine his enthu...😃

Hope this will be one of many Holi's...

Thank You !!
Originally posted by starlight123

Wishing everyone a Happy Holi....Let the colours flow and relationships renew and have loads of fun..

Thank You, Star 😃
Originally posted by Amit_Mehra

happy holi to all of my sis nd friends here

Thank you , Amit
Originally posted by lakshmipai

wish you all a very jhappy holi....may god fill your whole life with such beautiful colours....all kriya, arja fans...arhaan bhai , pooja, anupamji, asmithaji...and all the casts and crew of mkap....wish you all...god bless...

Thank You, Lakshmi

Man this is awesome!!  thanks for explaining every aspect of Holi so beautifully Tanthya.
I had little idea what Holi really was. Can't celebrate it where I live now but did when I was a child. I remember Holi also being called "Fagua" or Fagun..   I think I heard Komal refer to it as this also.  Must be a regional word.

And HAPPY HOLI  everyone!!!!!
Edited by lovestea - 13 years ago