Members Lounge
Members Lounge

~*~*~ Idus Martii ~*~*~

spln IF-Sizzlerz
spln
spln

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s10/crazycreative/cclo3.gif
I know most of you will be more than a little wary about opening this post - after reading another weird title, and my user ID in the topic poster space...

But hey, you so obviously gave in to your temptation if you're reading this - and for that here comes one big tight hug from moi
  Hug

With that, we're back of course to your turn getting the mic to ask me the questions.

and because I know better from past experience, about you guys never getting the cues right, I shall oblige, as always, and tell you the questions to be asked  - along with the answers...

(oh I know, I know - I am a nice person after all. Crazies always are. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise! )

.... and where was I...? Oh yeh, the questions.

Question #1:

What language was it I was attempting to write in this time round?

Answer - This is a real language! Its Latin. And Idus Martii is a real phrase (coined not by me) which actually has a meaning, hmph!

Questions #2:
Well then get over being so self obsessed already, and tell us what the damn title means this time!

Answer - It means Ides of March.
*gets confronted by the usual confused looks. except, they're also a little edgythis time.*

What?! The answer is in English, not my bad if you guys didn't realize that!

*the agitation begins to heighten*

Oh alright, alright. I concede. Its English, from another lifetime.

But because I'm a nice person (what? we already established that, duh - refer to comment above) , I shall actually share a brilliant piece of my mind with you all and tell you about

Ides of March aka Idus Martii

The phrase, Ides of March, is the Roman reference to the date of 15th of March in the English calendar - or more precisely the day of full moon in the Middle of March.  [The term Ides in general applies to the 15th day of the months of March, May, July, October, and the 13th day of all other months.]

That definition however, is purely literal, and says nothing about the relevance of the coined phrase as such.

If you are a History fact finder and keeper, or a Shakespearean lover, or both, you may actually have very good idea about Ides of March.

For the rest of you not such insufferable know-it-all(s) the phrase Ides of March bears historic significance, because it marks the date and occasion of the assassination of Julius Ceaser.

Yes the same Mr. I came-I saw-I conquered Ceaser. who was stabbed in his Roman Senate, at the hands of his own trusted men, the mission having been led by Brutus and Longinus, way back in 44BC.

The story so goes, that on the day of his assassination, Ceaser, on his way to the meeting of the Senate, was met by a soothsayer who warned him of harm coming his way that same Ides of March. Julius, as any man of his achievement may likely to have been, was utterly unfazed and unbelieving, and scoffed at the prediction, saying the Ides of March was already here.
It is here, the soothsayer then told him, but it is not yet past.

Consequently, when the same day did end up marking the treacherous end to Ceaser's legend, Idus Martii came to be symbolized with suspicious omens.

A master of his own genius, Shakespeare, much later, in the writing of his famous work, Julius Ceaser, did not neglect a mention of this same Ides of March. A phrase there after became popular (from Shakespeare's mentioned work):
"
...beware of the Ides of March..."

The Ides of March ever since, has come to be marked as a day  of expecting the unexpected - usually, the unpleasant unexpected.

It ought to be noted here - that the unpleasant scenario of the unexpected hails purely from the significance of Julius Ceaser's assassination on the said date, and nothing else. However, if omens are anything to go by, an assassination of that eminence can certainly be treated a lead.

And with that information divulged - aren't you relieved I warned you people about it?

A useful precautionary tip to all of you - my wonderful readers and friends - would be to carry Pepper Spray in your bags. It helps. If maasi ki chachi ke dewar ki saali ke bhai ki bhabhi ke bete ki beti ka dost ever had any intentions of taking you by surprise, pulling off some prank on you in front of quite the audience simply because you turned down the damn fool for a silly V-day date ... well, the spray shall wreck upon him the proverbial turning of tables. LOL

Of course, even if your problem is not half as serious as that, Pepper Spray helps. Anyone try to pick on you or annoy you today - get the spray on, and bingo! they shall have their doze of unexpected and unpleasant for the Ides of March
 ROFL

ahem. okay fine.
That is not to imply I'm violent in general - na-uh. I'm this kind little soul, who wouldn't harm a fly, I swear!
but sometimes... like times when people steal my cookies... well!
but that discussion is best moved from here, to elsewhere, where my CC heads can't catch sight of it ShockedCool

And since I'm actually done with my official task of enlightening the IF world about the entire deal of Idus Martii - I reckon its time I bid adieu...
...until next time...

(i know you shall miss me, and my crazy multilingual titles oh-so-much)

... so long folks!

(post layout: credit of Angel_Jot.)
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2589/ccnj.gif

Edited by spln - 16 March 2011 at 11:22am

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

Angel-Jot..StarryPhoenixprernawaghrayScatteredCastleIndigoBluessami01|Persephone|*Dakoo_Minzy*WildestDreamskavya.b

Angel-Jot. Moderator
Angel-Jot.
Angel-Jot.

I-F Crazy Creatives Head, BC Special Effects Supervisor

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 7:21pm | IP Logged
Well...good job. =] Who knew you could be creative? Shocked Just kidding. March of Ides is cool!! Cool

-Jot.

Edited by Angel-Jot. - 15 March 2011 at 7:36pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

spln

.StarryPhoenix Viewbie
.StarryPhoenix
.StarryPhoenix

FF Graphicer Head

Posted: 18 March 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged
gr8 post NJ, n CCs rock all the way.... yaayy!!!!!!!!!!

spln

ScatteredCastle IF-Dazzler
ScatteredCastle
ScatteredCastle

Posted: 19 March 2011 at 1:25am | IP Logged
Thanks for teh info nj, i've read about Julius Ceaser, as little as possible; in an abridged edition in my english textbook, a little weeks back and there's no mention about this latin phrase. But however, thanks for the wonderful info! 

and i shall carry some pepper spray in my bag from now on! You never know, if somebody like: 

my maasi ki chachi ke dewar ki saali ke bhai ki bhabhi ke bete ki beti ka dost 

ever had any intentions to annoy me! Thankyouverymuch! =)

Great post! *but nothing like this can beat the fun in Chinese whisper* ;)

spln

prernawaghray IF-Dazzler
prernawaghray
prernawaghray

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 1:11am | IP Logged
hey nj
good description :)
we had Julius Caesar as a part of our curriculum in 10th std.
n i just loved it (n still do)
though the latin phrase wasn't included but the "ides of March'" was there :)
it was sooo much fun reading it n since then i fell in love with Shakespeare's language :) <3
we really felt bad when JC dies
but what i really like is the funeral oration of mark antony
aww that was the best part of the book :)

PS: that maasi ke chachi......... ka dost was funny lol
but true dear

Edited by prernawaghray - 21 March 2011 at 1:11am

spln

no1bebofan Newbie
no1bebofan
no1bebofan

Posted: 21 March 2011 at 9:27am | IP Logged
ClapYea Good topic i meant yea hope we all have a rocking march and some great ides Clap

spln

kavya.b IF-Stunnerz
kavya.b
kavya.b

Posted: 23 March 2011 at 6:13am | IP Logged
uffffffffffff!!!!! 
thanks for the info abt Idus marti, nj!

spln

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index