Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Vishakha_Sakhi

IF-Sizzlerz

Vishakha_Sakhi

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 7:36pm | IP Logged
So Chanakya made the oath that until he doesn't destroy Dhananand he will not tie his 'shikha'. But what exactly is the significance of this? This question was in my mind after watching the episode so I googled it and am sharing the answer I got with you all. Big smile

From the time of the Vedas, the shikha was a distinguishing feature of the Brahmins, Kshatriyas and Vaishyas. It signified the 'twice-born' or all those Upanayanam has been performed. At the time of Chudakarana, a tuft of hair was left on the head, never to be cut. This shikha covered a large part of the brain.

According to Sushruta, the reason that a few tufts are left on the head is that at the crown, an artery joins a critical nerve juncture. Since an injury to this part of the head is believed to be fatal, it was considered necessary to protect the area by keeping a tuft of hair over it. The shikha was a symbol of superiority and of cleanliness.

Any religious or auspicious ceremony required the shikha to be tied in a knot. The knot was tied to the accompaniment of the Gayatri Mantra. An untied shikha was a symbol of disgrace, impurity and mourning.Only funerals and death anniversaries are performed with the shikha untied or with disheveled hair. Disheveled hair is considered inauspicious, and represents times of great sorrow or calamity. 

In Hindu scripture, Draupadi took an oath in the assembly of the Kurus after she was molested by Dussasana that she would remain with dishevelled hair until the enemies were properly revenged.

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

malwica2-Swetha-Amor.malinnCuty16rinku4uAanchu..Nandini25Badtameez_Dil

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Chankya's Oath" in Chandragupta Maurya forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

rinku4u

IF-Dazzler

rinku4u

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 10:32pm | IP Logged
i think  coz Dhananand  said , that "iskee garimaa iskee shikha mei basti hai naa" & ordered to  throw Him out clutching  his hair , thats why i think Chanakya took the oath , that until get gets back His pride & honour & take revenge of the insult . He will not tie his hair Smile

This is my personal opinion Smile

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Amor....PARiNA...Vishakha_Sakhi

...PARiNA...

IF-Rockerz

...PARiNA...

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 2:29am | IP Logged
cool info .. u research is always perrrrrfect !
i agree with rinku ....

Edited by ...PARiNA... - 14 March 2011 at 3:32am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

rinku4uVishakha_Sakhi

-Swetha-

Coolbie

-Swetha-

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 3:07am | IP Logged
thanks a lot vedo for sharing this piece of information.....Hugbeing a hindu bramin i didnt know abt this at all......Ouch but thanks to u i know know the significance of that shikha......Embarrassed

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Vishakha_Sakhi

Nandini25

IF-Rockerz

Nandini25

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged
Thanx so much fr shrng this vedo.
I didnt know nethng about it b4.

Vishakha_Sakhi

Vishakha_Sakhi

IF-Sizzlerz

Vishakha_Sakhi

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:09am | IP Logged

Originally posted by rinku4u

i think  coz Dhananand  said , that "iskee garimaa iskee shikha mei basti hai naa" & ordered to  throw Him out clutching  his hair , thats why i think Chanakya took the oath , that until get gets back His pride & honour & take revenge of the insult . He will not tie his hair Smile

You have explained it nicely and I agree!! Thumbs Up Because he was insulted by Dhananand in that way (dragging him out by his shikha) he took the oath on his shikha for D's destruction.

It is very similar to the story of Draupadi. Because Dushasan grabbed her by the hair and dragged her into the sabha (after which she was insulted even more) she vowed that until the destruction of those that insulted her doesn't happen she will not tie her hair.

-Swetha-

...PARiNA...

IF-Rockerz

...PARiNA...

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Vedo

Originally posted by rinku4u

You have explained it nicely and I agree!! Thumbs Up Because he was insulted by Dhananand in that way (dragging him out by his shikha) he took the oath on his shikha for D's destruction.

It is very similar to the story of Draupadi. Because Dushasan grabbed her by the hair and dragged her into the sabha (after which she was insulted even more) she vowed that until the destruction of those that insulted her doesn't happen she will not tie her hair.

that is the way ppl use to oath at that time ... thought there was good time gap btwn Draupati and Chanakya Tongue .. par woh loog apni baat ke pakke hote the .. pratigya le le to le li .. aise nahin ki beech mein break kar de LOL

Vishakha_Sakhi

rinku4u

IF-Dazzler

rinku4u

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 8:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ...PARiNA...

cool info .. u research is always perrrrrfect !
i agree with rinku ....

Thanks Parri dear ...SmileSmile

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.