Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

spln

IF-Sizzlerz

spln

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 4:38pm | IP Logged
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s10/crazycreative/cclo12.gif

Question of the Day:

The bakers and mathematicians of the world have gathered to observe and celebrate the importance of this historic day. Pray, tell me, what the prestigious, auspicious, oh-so-awaited day is called?

Hint#1
: try to mind read my genius from the title.
Hint#2: check the calendar for today's date
Hint#3: think about Greek connections
Hint#4: fill in the blank - I love to an eat apple _ _ _

well...?!

oh come now! take a wild guess?! its not all that hard, is it really?!

someone?

er, anyone?!

Oh fine! I give up. No really, I do. Its most exasperating to hold back my excitement about revealing the brilliant answer and acting all smug and know-it-all about it consequently too!

Answer to Ques of the Day:

Today, that is the 14th of march - better represented as 3.14 - is celebrated world wide as the Pi(e) Day!!!

note: Technically, there is no 'e' in this particular Pi. I like to add it however, given they are homonyms, and given even more, my eternal devotion to pies (yum...mmmmy!)

For those who guessed the answer - woot!
For those who didn't, err... no comments. I learned in elementary school how calling someone stupid was a bad thing. So yeah, you get the point. (I mean duh, come on, I can understand you missed the apple _ _ _ hint - it was tricky. But what about the Greek connection? Like Pi, the Greek symbol - how obvious was that!!! )
I might as well have given the answer before giving
that hint, ha ha!

Well since we've now established the importance of today's date, here's bringing you some interesting facts about Pi Day.

* Pi Day was created in 1989, by physicist Larry Shaw.
* Pi Day is commemorated by 'Pie' fans like me by eating pies on this
day. (while I'm at it, I believe you should know how courteous it is to bake pies and send them to friends. Friends are people who tell you intelligent facts. Intelligent facts, like say, telling you that today is Pi Day. By simple induction then, I become friend to you all. And with further application of induction then, it will be courteous of you all to send me some pies across. Really. Its what civil people do to celebrate Pi Day) ... *gets glared at by CC heads for digressing*

... uh, where was I again? oh yeh...

* There also exists the interesting concept of Pi Approximation Day, which is celebrated on July 22nd - better represented as 22/7 - which is the fractional approximation of the mathematical value of Pi. (personally, I think 3.14 is just as much approximation... no offense to Dr. Shaw, just saying!)
* Nobel Prize winning poet Wislawa Szymborska wrote a poem about the symbol Pi. An excerpt from the same goes hence:

The caravan of digits that is pi
does not stop at the edge of the page,
but runs off the table and into the air,

over the wall, a leaf, a bird's nest, the clouds, straight into the sky,
through all the bloatedness and bottomlessness.
Oh how short, all but mouse-like is the comet's tail!

* In 2005, alternative musician Kate Bush released an album called Aerial, which featured a song about 'Pi' where she sang the digits of the mathematical value of Pi to the musical composition.

And past all that information overload - here's my treat to the devoted Geeks of IF-land who are bound to join in with me to happily cheer for the pride of Geekdom worldwide - the laurels and highs of dear old Pi!

A Pie to celebrate Pi!!!

ps: if anyone/everyone thought this post looked oh-so-damn beautifool - please pay your respective appreciating regards to
color crazy

Angelic_Jot.

aka

AJ

aka
Jotty Bear.

Also, for a fun game to mark this day, please visit:
http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1632951
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2589/ccnj.gif

Edited by spln - 14 March 2011 at 9:55am

The following 26 member(s) liked the above post:

PavaniShinyjnawazspunkpattinsonSuvarna....-Sky-Angel-Jot......Lata.....roshaniDAnn_92ScatteredCastleIndigoBlues-Khushi-dmgmjht4everanonymous7bhavi20_sArushi.dreamer_dreamsmoonlight08ReinevisromAngelic_A*Dakoo_Minzy*nidha1983DUGGUliciousSuper.Psycho_-Fatima-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "In the Name of 'Pi'!" in Members Lounge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

I-F Crazy Creatives Head, BollyCurry Screen Writer

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged
YAYYY! Go PI! Great post NJ. Cool

-Jot.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

spln

--Neelanjana--

IF-Rockerz

--Neelanjana--

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 8:19pm | IP Logged
Nice post

spln

|Persephone|

IF-Veteran Member

|Persephone|

BollyCurry Director

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged
LMAO! you guys are truly crazy! still love you NJ! i still remember in high school, me and my friend baked pi cupcakes (chocolate cupcakes with a pi symbol on them) for our entire AP statistics class to earn brownie points with the teacher!!! totally worked!!! and they were yummy!!!! GO PI!

spln

seert

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 9:36pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

spln

Suvarna....

Goldie

Suvarna....

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 10:49pm | IP Logged
This is cool one. Would love to see more such stuff. Its great read apart from ff's and DMG videos ;) ... Pi ki kasam!!!

spln

-Khushi-

IF-Rockerz

-Khushi-

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 1:47am | IP Logged
nice post and yeah happy pi day.....

spln

Arushi.

IF-Rockerz

Arushi.

Posted: 16 March 2011 at 1:50am | IP Logged
Nj Hug

How are you?

As much as this post establishes my stupidness and well, ignorance, it also makes me bang my head for having such scientific/mathematical friends. Hah ! 

On a more serious note, I never knew such a day existed. And ermmm, can I be expecting a few pie's my way? Hahah ! 

Pie Day. Hmm ! 

Cheers ! 

Edited by Arushi. - 16 March 2011 at 1:55am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

RadiantTreasurespln

Post Reply New Post

Go to top