Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Japan Tsunami - Why ? Just Pray (Page 3)

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 7:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Actually, this is just another example of our mind playing games! With all the crazy talks of 2012 being just around the corner, people are bound to be looking for signs of the apocalypse. While its true that the number of natural disasters have been rising each year (from 78 in 1940 to 348 in 2004), its not necessarily true that more natural disasters are occurring on a yearly basis.

What's really happening is that more natural disasters are being reported for a number of reasons - number one being the advent of the modern communication and media. A hundred years ago, it would have taken us weeks to hear about this terrible natural disaster in Japan, but nowadays we hear about such events within minutes of their occurrence. And not only do we hear of them, but technology allows us to witness these events through videos and pictures that display these events as if we were there.

However, yes, you can argue that hurricanes and other natural disasters, etc. are causing more damage and more devastation in today's day and age. And that's possibly because there are more people living in coastal areas today and the world population has grown much more. With the advancement of cities, there is also more damage that is occurring because of natural disasters.

With tornadoes and earthquakes, before, when one of these occurred in the wild where there were no people, they weren't detected and therefore went unreported. But there is a higher availability of technology that exists today and it is easier to monitor seismic activity, so more natural disasters are reported.

Its all a matter of perception, really.  

Quakes seems to be happening almost every year.
fortunately it is sometimes in more sparsely populated areas.
The disaster by the Tsunami is worse than the quake itself.

But it is true that better communication has resulted in more efficient reporting.
I doubt anything major like the end of the world will happen in 2012 but I expect some calamity every year.

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 13 March 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Originally posted by SmarterDesiKid

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42035125/ns/technology_and_science-space/

i take back my moon thing...
but the moon does cause the big waves, and the closer it gets, the bigger the waves

Ya there is a chance!!

But its true that one cant be against the natural happenings... . keep cool accepting whatever happens for our better living taking care of our one and only nature at every point of time . take care of yourself and nature !

Another man made disaster terrifying there now....this is a wake up call especially for all the proponents of nuclear power, mankind is not ready especially we Indians are not ready to deal with hazards of nuclear energy.....Hope the Japanese get out of this soon!

Nuclear Power plants should not be established in areas that are prone to quakes unless there are other better safety features.

Also Nuclear Power in the wrong hands would be disastrous.
Some krazy guy is bound to do something drastic to extract a revenge.

SolidSnake IF-Rockerz
SolidSnake
SolidSnake

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 9:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Karma or Natural Disaster?

Ofcourse it is a Natural disaster.

Yeh karma etc sab kehne ki baatein hain, sunne mein achhi lagti hai.
-Nightingale- IF-Stunnerz
-Nightingale-
-Nightingale-

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged
I would say Japan Tsunami is natural diaster....

I definitely believe in Karma...but we have seen Japanese are the most hard working people n r hardly pondering over others bounderiesLOL
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 5:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SolidSnake

Originally posted by Summer3

Karma or Natural Disaster?

Ofcourse it is a Natural disaster.

Yeh karma etc sab kehne ki baatein hain, sunne mein achhi lagti hai.

True but often there are several prophesies too.
Hope all this is not the start if something worse.
Too much bad news everywhere. It has been a series of events if we really track it down.
Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged
Time for UFOs and Extra Terrestial Help to reach Earth to contain the Nuclear Blast Problem.

Some 2012 predictions had mentioned about their appearance too.

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
Summer3
Summer3

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 10:15pm | IP Logged

What Is a Nuclear Meltdown?

Updated: Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 9:37 PM CDT
Published : Monday, 14 Mar 2011, 8:59 PM CDT

By Larry Yellen, FOX Chicago News

At least three nuclear reactors in Japan are reported to have experienced partial meltdowns. But just what does "meltdown" mean?

Three decades ago, a film called "The China Syndrome" introduced many Americans to the possibility of a nuclear accident and the phrase "nuclear meltdown." Twelve days later, the Three Mile Island accident in Pennsylvania had federal officials discussing the real thing.

So just what is a nuclear meltdown? The reactor contains rods filled with uranium, and then there's a pump which sends coolants like water into the reactor, to keep the uranium from overheating.

When the pump breaks down (in this case because of the earthquake or tsunami), the uranium overheats. The rest of the water eventually boils away, and tubes holding the uranium pellets disintegrate. The pellets fall to the floor, heating up even more, up to 5,000 degrees, at which point they melt into kind of a waxy substance. Thus the term: "meltdown."

In the worst case scenario the uranium, already very unstable, explodes, damaging the plant and releasing contaminants into the air.

There can be a minor or major meltdown, depending on how many pellets melt. And even a major meltdown might pose no danger to the public at large, if there's no explosion and the radiation stays within the containment dome.

Summer3 IF-Stunnerz
    Summer3
    Summer3

Posted: 14 March 2011 at 10:33pm | IP Logged

Fukushima Nuclear Accident ' a simple and accurate explanation

I am writing this text (Mar 12) to give you some peace of mind regarding some of the troubles in Japan, that is the safety of Japan's nuclear reactors. Up front, the situation is serious, but under control. And this text is long! But you will know more about nuclear power plants after reading it than all journalists on this planet put together.

There was and will *not* be any significant release of radioactivity.

By "significant" I mean a level of radiation of more than what you would receive on ' say ' a long distance flight, or drinking a glass of beer that comes from certain areas with high levels of natural background radiation.

I have been reading every news release on the incident since the earthquake. There has not been one single (!) report that was accurate and free of errors (and part of that problem is also a weakness in the Japanese crisis communication). By "not free of errors" I do not refer to tendentious anti-nuclear journalism ' that is quite normal these days. By "not free of errors" I mean blatant errors regarding physics and natural law, as well as gross misinterpretation of facts, due to an obvious lack of fundamental and basic understanding of the way nuclear reactors are build and operated. I have read a 3 page report on CNN where every single paragraph contained an error.

We will have to cover some fundamentals, before we get into what is going on.

Construction of the Fukushima nuclear power plants

Continue reading

Go to top