Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
Man in his intelligence reach to the top of the planet, but he has given a second to face the truth that he is not the sole master of the universe and that there is a power above him whom we name GOD.... Praying for the victims of earthquake.

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

A sequence of the acts of God that have claimed more lives than any other event in human history.

Throughout history there have been thousands of natural disasters. However, some have been even more destructive than any others.

1. Aleppo Earthquake

Took place in 1130 ad in northern Syria. Has been labelled as the fourth worst Earthquake of all time, causing the deaths of over 230,000 people, mainly due to the destruction of a number of citadels housing large populations. The town of Aleppo was totally levelled in the Earthquake, though casualties were reduced because the townspeople fled at the first-shocks came.

2. The Banqiao Dam

In 1975 over a year's worth of rainfall fell in 24 hours. The dam, in south-eastern China, collapsed, having been designed for less than half that. The ensuing flood of water, gushed down into the lowlands as a wave 10km long and 7 metres high. Over 230,000 people died due to the collapse, but over 11 million were affected.

3. The Tangshan Earthquake

The third deadliest Earthquake of all time, this happened in 1976 in North-eastern China. The Earthquake struck early in the morning registering 7.8 on the Richter scale. Casualty figures were originally quoted as more than 600,000, but recent evidence suggests that it may have been less than 250,000.

4. The Antioch Earthquake

Very little evidence survives this quake, but records suggest that upwards of 260,000 people died. Location: Antakya (Antioch), Turkey.

5. Indian Ocean Tsunami

Most of us will remember this. On Boxing Day 2004 a large Earthquake beneath the Indian Ocean triggered a series of devastating Tsunamis. The Earthquake itself registered 9.3 on the Richter scale, and is the second largest ever recorded on a seismograph. The Tsunamis claimed 283,000 lives, and the world responded massively, donating more than $7 billion.

6. India Cyclone

In 1839 a large cyclone ripped through Coringa, killing 300,000 people.

7. Bhola Cyclone

In what is now Bangladesh, in 1970 a cyclone tore through the country. West Bengal was struck, adding to the damage and the casualties. Winds reached a peak of 185kph and an offshore island had 45% of its population killed by the winds. 500,000 people died.

8. Shaanxi Earthquake

The deadliest Earthquake of all time took place in 1556, in the Shaanxi province, China. The devastation wrought by the Earthquake would now compare only to the detonation of a nuclear bomb. The tremors were so powerful new valleys were opened and cracks appeared in the ground. Upwards of 830,000 died, more than a quarter of who died in caves, as landslides trapped them.

9. Yellow River Flood

The yellow river in China is known to regularly flood. However, in 1887 a particularly bad flood due to a high riverbed broke through dykes and killed more than a million people.

10. China Flood

A drought had continued in China for 2 years, until in 1931 most major rivers flooded. The waters rose so rapidly no one had much time to reach higher ground. Overall, the series of floods killed between 2 and 4 million people however, over 100 million were affected

Read more: http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences/top-10-natural-disasters-of-all-time/#ixzz1GpumfUq4
thickhead thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Believe

but he has given a second to face the truth that he is not the sole master of the universe and that there is a power above him whom we name GOD....

When a car meets an accident, we don' say that cars shud be banned ...

When a plane crashes, air travel isn't stopped ...

When a train crashes, rail travel isn't  abandoned ...

What happened in Japan is a very unfortunate accident that shows lack of preparedness and room for improvement; but in no way does it mean that nuclear tech shud be entirely abandoned; it only means that we need to fine tune it and make it safer. Lets not forget that with declining fossil fuel reserves, nuclear energy is the only reliable and efficient source of energy. 

Also technology is not invented to prove anything or to discount/disregard the existence of God but to tame the environment in an effort to make our lives more convenient. If all tech is done away with man wud be relegated to the life of hunter-gatherer  - don't know abt u but this idea doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Lastly, I don't udnerstand how this accident relates to God ? Do u mean to say that God caused the tsunami just to remind men of his presence and power ??

Edited by thickhead - 13 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Nuclear leak is not a nuclear bomb
but a radiation leak, Its consequences can be dire for those exposed

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_2VGfAwL0&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

Summer3 thumbnail
Originally posted by: thickhead

What happened in Japan is a very unfortunate accident that shows lack of preparedness and room for improvement; but in no way does it mean that nuclear tech shud be entirely abandoned; it only means that we need to fine tune it and make it safer. Lets not forget that with declining fossil fuel reserves, nuclear energy is the only reliable and efficient source of energy. 

Also technology is not invented to prove anything or to discount/disregard the existence of God but to tame the environment in an effort to make our lives more convenient. If all tech is done away with man wud be relegated to the life of hunter-gatherer  - don't know abt u but this idea doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Lastly, I don't udnerstand how this accident relates to God ? Do u mean to say that God caused the tsunami just to remind men of his presence and power ??

Yes it is as Natural Disaster and described as  an unforseen "Act of God"  in insurance documents and agreements.
We just have to pick ourselves up and move on.
Nuclear Engergy is here to stay until another source can be discovered.

God does not cause a Tsumani or anything thing terrible.

Edited by Summer3 - 13 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: thickhead

For me God is MOTHER NATURE....the ONE Power who controlling us....so its natural...some situation I relate things with God...😊

Japanese are hard working people..there is no substitute for hard work..so there is no doubt that Japan will bounce back.😊
Rasny thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I've lost  some of closed relatives and friends in 2004 in Sri lanka. I know the pain & really it is devastating. 

Thanks Summer 4 this thread!
Summer3 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Rasny

I've lost  some of closed relatives and friends in 2004 in Sri lanka. I know the pain & really it is devastating. 

Thanks Summer 4 this thread!

Rasny Bhai hope you are doing good. sorry about your loss, yes it is devastating and something we can never imagine.
Summer3 thumbnail

What a heroic deed

Mar 18, 2011

WEB EXCLUSIVE

'We're not running away': Fukushima worker

By Hannah Koh

Workers wearing protective clothing and respirators head towards the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

ONE lone voice has emerged from the group of heroic workers at Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco), which runs the quake-stricken Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, where workers are scrambling to cool the nuclear plant and avoid a meltdown.

Michiko Otsuki - a female worker at Tepco - has written on her blog, speaking up for her 'silent' colleagues who remained behind at the plant.

She had been quoted a little in some overseas English reports but The Straits Times Online tracked and translated her blog to find out her full story when she first posted on popular Japanese social networking site Mixi.

By Thursday however, her post had been taken down, but the entry had already been reproduced by several online blogs and in Japanese language forums.

Ms Otsuki is one of the 800 employees evacuated from the plant on Monday, leaving 50 workers behind to battle the nuclear crisis.

On Tuesday, she addressed the growing criticisms levelled at Tepco.

'People have been flaming Tepco,' she said. 'But the staff of Tepco have refused to flee, and continue to work even at the peril of their own lives. Please stop attacking us.'

Tepco, which powers Japan's capital and largest city Tokyo, is one of the main players in the world of Japanese nuclear power, with a history of safety violations.

Even Prime Minister Naoto Kan, frustrated that an explosion featured in the news had not been reported to the Prime Minister's office, is reported to have burst into an executive meeting at the company and demanded what was going on.

However, Ms Otsuki's blog post gives the world a glimpse of the tireless, faceless crew - now dubbed the Fukushima 50 - who are working on the frontline to stop the nuclear crisis from escalating, risking the effects of radiation. In the most severe cases, radiation can lead to higher chances of developing cancer, or even death.

'As a worker at Tepco and a member of the Fukushima No. 2 reactor team, I was dealing with the crisis at the scene until yesterday (Monday).'

'In the midst of the tsunami alarm (last Friday), at 3am in the night when we couldn't even see where we going, we carried on working to restore the reactors from where we were, right by the sea, with the realisation that this could be certain death,' she said.

'The machine that cools the reactor is just by the ocean, and it was wrecked by the tsunami. Everyone worked desperately to try and restore it. Fighting fatigue and empty stomachs, we dragged ourselves back to work.

'There are many who haven't gotten in touch with their family members, but are facing the present situation and working hard.'

Battling On

'Please remember that. I want this message to reach even just one more person. Everyone at the power plant is battling on, without running away.

'To all the residents (around the plant) who have been alarmed and worried, I am truly, deeply sorry.

'I am writing my name down, knowing I will be abused and hurt because of this. There are people working to protect all of you, even in exchange for their own lives.

'Watching my co-workers putting their lives on the line without a second thought in this situation, I'm proud to be a member of Tepco, and a member of the team behind Fukushima No. 2 reactor.

'I hope to return to the plant and work on the restoration of the reactor.'

But her pleas seem to have gone unheard. The original post has now been taken down and she has instead posted an apology: 'I am very sorry, but I have locked the post as it was being used in a way I had not intended it to be.

'Having seen what's happening on the ground, my message to all of you remains the same. But others have changed the contents of the post and used it for the wrong reasons, like fanning fear amongst others, and I have therefore decided to lock my post.

'I am praying from the bottom of my heart for the safety of your loved ones. I am sorry it (the blog post) has turned out this way