India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Minor criminals? (Page 4)

souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 17 March 2011 at 2:57am | IP Logged
Conincidentally, I was thinking about the exact same topic and was even contemplating starting a discussion on it but didn't get the time. However, the trigger was not this particular incident and I've thought about this subject earlier too. Two incidents particularly haunt me whenever I hear the term juvenile criminal, that of James Bulger and Junko Furuta (although Junko Furuta's murderers were tried as adults).

I fail to understand why someone needs to be treated specially just because of their age. If person A picks up a knife and stabs person B, then irrespective of whether A is 10 yrs or 30 yrs old, B is going to end up dead/ injured and A's intention for stabbing would've been exactly that from the very beginning. Then why & how does age become a factor in determining what his punishment should be? According to me, the crime and the motive be should be of utmost importance and punishment commensurate to that rather than considering age and all such rubbish.

Also, who prescribed this age limit of 18 yrs? I don't know how it made sense to the lawmakers but for me the very concept sounds strange, that if a guy commits a crime on his 18th birthday then he will have to face the full consequence but had he committed the same crime the previous day he would've gotten off lightly.
If tomorrow someone (scientist, doctor, administrator, I don't know, but whoever is in charge of deciding such age limits) comes up with the theory that human beings become fully aware of the consequences of their actions only at the age  of 25 years, will they increase the age limit? Similarly, if that age is described by someone to be 10 years, will they reduce the age limit?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Jess.

_Angie_ IF-Sizzlerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:42pm | IP Logged
^^ In all fairness I think it would be better to treat each case on an individual basis though it would take more time and deliberation to decide whether the person 18 or not was capable of understanding the consequences of his action. we do have persons well above 18 who seem to be quite oblivious to the consequences of their speech or action. so what do we do about them? If the consequences are disastrous should ignorance be a plea to leniency ? Again leniency is one thing and letting the person completely escape any form of punishment is quite another!
zorrro IF-Dazzler

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 4:46am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Leve IF-Stunnerz
Leve
Leve

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 3:09pm | IP Logged

If someone does a crime, he/she should be treated equally even if they are minors or not.

I mean if they are big enough to do the crime, then they are big enough to handle severe punishments.
zorrro IF-Dazzler

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 15 April 2011 at 6:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

what about the major criminals who are 18 plus with mental disorders?

The law handles criminals (so as to say) with mental disorders quite differently. They are abnormal. They might not understand what they do..18+ or otherwise.
But if a kid, who is absolutely normal, has done something wrong, he/she should be "suitably" punished.

Go to top