Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Minor criminals? (Page 2)

MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 11 March 2011 at 11:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Kanky-

Punishments can teach lessons as and when they are taken seriously. In a nation like ours, anybody with power can get away with the punishment and the law easily. I dun necessarily have a right to criticize the system because I never saw myself as part of it but I do have a soft spot for the victims. What good is the punishment to the criminal bring to them, after all? Neither their lost self-esteem nor the ridiculing memory of the incident(s) going to stop harassing them.  

And here it is always late. Sigh. I agree! 

In this case, the kind of punishment matters as well. Obviously, any punishment should be handled with seriousness, otherwise it's gonna be nothing but a holiday for the criminal. 
What good does the punishment bring ? - If handled properly, it brings sense, and some sense of fear that they could face the punishment again if they would do something as bad. It is easier to teach some sense to a child. Considering that the boy is just 13yrs old, he wouldn't do it again, if taught properly.

But on the other hand, if the punishment is not given, wouldn't other students be encouraged to do something like this as well if they know that they can get away with it ? So obviously, punishment would instill some fear in a person.

If not anything else, a punishment to the criminal is justice to the victim.

Edited by .Doe. - 11 March 2011 at 11:40am

thegameison IF-Sizzlerz
thegameison
thegameison

Crazy Creative Minion

Posted: 11 March 2011 at 11:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Doe.

Originally posted by -Kanky-

Punishments can teach lessons as and when they are taken seriously. In a nation like ours, anybody with power can get away with the punishment and the law easily. I dun necessarily have a right to criticize the system because I never saw myself as part of it but I do have a soft spot for the victims. What good is the punishment to the criminal bring to them, after all? Neither their lost self-esteem nor the ridiculing memory of the incident(s) going to stop harassing them.  

And here it is always late. Sigh. I agree! 

In this case, the kind of punishment matters as well. Obviously, any punishment should be handled with seriousness, otherwise it's gonna be nothing but a holiday for the criminal. 
What good does the punishment bring ? - If handled properly, it brings sense, and some sense of fear that they could face the punishment again if they would do something as bad. It is easier to teach some sense to a child. Considering that the boy is just 13yrs old, he wouldn't do it again, if taught properly.

But on the other hand, if the punishment is not given, wouldn't other students be encouraged to do something like this as well if they know that they can get away with it ? So obviously, punishment would instill some fear in a person.

Kids have gotten intelligent nowadays. Everybody already knows how seriously punishments are taken? The law is weak or in wrong hands or just disoriented with respect to minor punishments or rather entirely as a body but what should be the priority herein, I think has to be a little aid to the victim with respect to the harm caused.

With this boy, you may as well be right. I am one of the kids league too and I have noticed - not everybody is just aggressive, it is something far beyond if the kid has the nerve to hurt his teacher physically. A psychological therapy should be run, and then the kid could be punished if needed. Hypothetical, uh? I mean, punishments shouldn't just be be jailing you for a week or a month, other ways could be given way to also!

Edited by -Kanky- - 11 March 2011 at 11:48am
MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 11 March 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged
Me being an 18 yr old, I do understand how youth is these days. Well, that being said, if the person is given a punishment, naturally, there would be some sense of fear.
I know that not everybody is just as aggressive, but there might be aggressive ones out there. If the law is weak, they'd get encouragement. They must have already gotten with the way this case was handled. So yeah, it's too late now. But well, makes for a discussion / debate.

A psychology therapy is being too soft on the kid. Say if some of the other kids get to know that the punishment for hurting a teacher is only a therapy, will they take a step backward ?

Like you said, kids are too intelligent these days. They learn fast..both good things & bad things.
MagicalKash IF-Rockerz
MagicalKash
MagicalKash

Posted: 11 March 2011 at 10:20pm | IP Logged
I don't personally believe in capital punishment of any kind for anyone unless it's extremely necessary. Now in this case, it's really sad to know that a kid of 13,14 years of age can do something . Now most probably it's the first instance that the kid has done something like this, that ofcourse doesn't make him less guilty , but there is a possiblity that he won't ever do something like this again and this will just remain as an unfortunate event in his life . In the other case if we do put him in jail then we are branding him as a 'crimnal' and somewhere maybe pushing him in that direction. That's the reason that the judiciary has this special law for minority . But then again , this liberty should be given only once and if a person who is minor continues to break law, then he should be punished just like a normal person.
*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 11 March 2011 at 11:18pm | IP Logged
I can't believe people are are claiming that punishment is unnecessary! We get it, the kid is a minor, but as we have laws in the US, minors are given less harsh punishments and sentenced in juvenile centers, but they are still tried in court and they are punished for their crimes. To let this kid go now would mean to unleash another potential criminal in society. The kid obviously needs some psychological help, and he needs to realize how absolutely devastating his actions are. That kind of realization will only come through punishment and professional help. And death sentences are not the only form of punishment in the legal system.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyfMagixX

-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 12 March 2011 at 12:29am | IP Logged
Who is Alexander the Great?!!! a great criminal he murdered people on a mass scale. Adolf Hitler alone killed millions of people, but he will be remembered in history as a great leader of man...Bush,Napoleon Bonaparte, Ivan the Terrible, Nadir Shah, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane are all mass scale criminals. Bt their crimes are so big, perhaps, that you cannot conceive‚Ķ. They have killed millions of people, burned millions of people alive, bt they are not thought of as criminals...BUT here now a days...a small pickpocket, who takes away a two rupee note from your pocket will be punished by the court thats wrong!! Our legal system should change....Before send anyone into court we should analyze why/how it happend...and we should give him/her treatment...and punishment is simply an exercise in stupidity...cos I believe by punishing, you cann't change anyone esply minor!!Smile
MagixX IF-Rockerz
MagixX
MagixX

Posted: 12 March 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Who is Alexander the Great?!!! a great criminal he murdered people on a mass scale. Adolf Hitler alone killed millions of people, but he will be remembered in history as a great leader of man...Bush,Napoleon Bonaparte, Ivan the Terrible, Nadir Shah, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane are all mass scale criminals. Bt their crimes are so big, perhaps, that you cannot conceive'. They have killed millions of people, burned millions of people alive, bt they are not thought of as criminals...BUT here now a days...a small pickpocket, who takes away a two rupee note from your pocket will be punished by the court thats wrong!! Our legal system should change....Before send anyone into court we should analyze why/how it happend...and we should give him/her treatment...and punishment is simply an exercise in stupidity...cos I believe by punishing, you cann't change anyone esply minor!!Smile

This is no pickpocket case. It's worse than that, & there is every possibility of him doing that again if he can get away with it. Not only that, children may learn to do such type of things as well. 

Punishment isn't an exercise of stupidity. It works if it is handled properly. Obviously, nobody is asking for a third degree here, it's got to be a normal punishment, well enough to teach the person what he has done is wrong.

And as the saying goes, "Spare the rod, spoil the child". I don't care what the new phrase is, but if you are not getting him suitably punished, it will just spoil the child further. Of course, there is another side to it, but well, who knows which side the child might show ? He may, or may not learn that it was a mistake. But it is the system's duty to teach him what is right and what is wrong. 

Edited by .Doe. - 12 March 2011 at 2:40am
-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 12 March 2011 at 3:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by .Doe.

[

This is no pickpocket case. It's worse than that, & there is every possibility of him doing that again if he can get away with it. Not only that, children may learn to do such type of things as well. 

Punishment isn't an exercise of stupidity. It works if it is handled properly. Obviously, nobody is asking for a third degree here, it's got to be a normal punishment, well enough to teach the person what he has done is wrong.

And as the saying goes, "Spare the rod, spoil the child". I don't care what the new phrase is, but if you are not getting him suitably punished, it will just spoil the child further. Of course, there is another side to it, but well, who knows which side the child might show ? He may, or may not learn that it was a mistake. But it is the system's duty to teach him what is right and what is wrong. 

Ok I do agree with your thoughts, the fact is a dog is born as a dog, he is to remain the same his whole life....the lion is born as a lion...BUT we humans is born only as a seed...and right education will teach you how to be yourself...but now a days parents and teachers/soceity conditioning the child!!...Without understanding how the child feel/thinking, every parent is harassing the child to bcome gr8... they are trying to enforce their ambitions on the child... thats how conditioning begins... They are not allowing the child to be himself....I believe parents who are not respectful to their children are bound to destroy their lives.... their respect,  love,  gratitude that, "You have chosen us as your parents".... will be responded to with deeper respect, more gratitude, more love...and they should teach him responsibility..response means capacity to respond tc life situations according to ur heart, not according to anybody else.... When you start feeling that, you become an individual... Then you stand on your own feet...for this Our societies/peoples mind set should change!!Smile

Go to top