Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Me being an 18 yr old, I do understand how youth is these days. Well, that being said, if the person is given a punishment, naturally, there would be some sense of fear.
I know that not everybody is just as aggressive, but there might be aggressive ones out there. If the law is weak, they'd get encouragement. They must have already gotten with the way this case was handled. So yeah, it's too late now. But well, makes for a discussion / debate.

A psychology therapy is being too soft on the kid. Say if some of the other kids get to know that the punishment for hurting a teacher is only a therapy, will they take a step backward ?

Like you said, kids are too intelligent these days. They learn fast..both good things & bad things.
MagicalKash thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I don't personally believe in capital punishment of any kind for anyone unless it's extremely necessary. Now in this case, it's really sad to know that a kid of 13,14 years of age can do something . Now most probably it's the first instance that the kid has done something like this, that ofcourse doesn't make him less guilty , but there is a possiblity that he won't ever do something like this again and this will just remain as an unfortunate event in his life . In the other case if we do put him in jail then we are branding him as a 'crimnal' and somewhere maybe pushing him in that direction. That's the reason that the judiciary has this special law for minority . But then again , this liberty should be given only once and if a person who is minor continues to break law, then he should be punished just like a normal person.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
I can't believe people are are claiming that punishment is unnecessary! We get it, the kid is a minor, but as we have laws in the US, minors are given less harsh punishments and sentenced in juvenile centers, but they are still tried in court and they are punished for their crimes. To let this kid go now would mean to unleash another potential criminal in society. The kid obviously needs some psychological help, and he needs to realize how absolutely devastating his actions are. That kind of realization will only come through punishment and professional help. And death sentences are not the only form of punishment in the legal system.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Who is Alexander the Great?!!! a great criminal he murdered people on a mass scale. Adolf Hitler alone killed millions of people, but he will be remembered in history as a great leader of man...Bush,Napoleon Bonaparte, Ivan the Terrible, Nadir Shah, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane are all mass scale criminals. Bt their crimes are so big, perhaps, that you cannot conceiveโ€ฆ. They have killed millions of people, burned millions of people alive, bt they are not thought of as criminals...BUT here now a days...a small pickpocket, who takes away a two rupee note from your pocket will be punished by the court thats wrong!! Our legal system should change....Before send anyone into court we should analyze why/how it happend...and we should give him/her treatment...and punishment is simply an exercise in stupidity...cos I believe by punishing, you cann't change anyone esply minor!!๐Ÿ˜Š
MagixX thumbnail
Originally posted by: Believe

Who is Alexander the Great?!!! a great criminal he murdered people on a mass scale. Adolf Hitler alone killed millions of people, but he will be remembered in history as a great leader of man...Bush,Napoleon Bonaparte, Ivan the Terrible, Nadir Shah, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane are all mass scale criminals. Bt their crimes are so big, perhaps, that you cannot conceive'. They have killed millions of people, burned millions of people alive, bt they are not thought of as criminals...BUT here now a days...a small pickpocket, who takes away a two rupee note from your pocket will be punished by the court thats wrong!! Our legal system should change....Before send anyone into court we should analyze why/how it happend...and we should give him/her treatment...and punishment is simply an exercise in stupidity...cos I believe by punishing, you cann't change anyone esply minor!!๐Ÿ˜Š

This is no pickpocket case. It's worse than that, & there is every possibility of him doing that again if he can get away with it. Not only that, children may learn to do such type of things as well. 

Punishment isn't an exercise of stupidity. It works if it is handled properly. Obviously, nobody is asking for a third degree here, it's got to be a normal punishment, well enough to teach the person what he has done is wrong.

And as the saying goes, "Spare the rod, spoil the child". I don't care what the new phrase is, but if you are not getting him suitably punished, it will just spoil the child further. Of course, there is another side to it, but well, who knows which side the child might show ? He may, or may not learn that it was a mistake. But it is the system's duty to teach him what is right and what is wrong. 
Edited by .Doe. - 13 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: .Doe.

[

This is no pickpocket case. It's worse than that, & there is every possibility of him doing that again if he can get away with it. Not only that, children may learn to do such type of things as well. 

Punishment isn't an exercise of stupidity. It works if it is handled properly. Obviously, nobody is asking for a third degree here, it's got to be a normal punishment, well enough to teach the person what he has done is wrong.

And as the saying goes, "Spare the rod, spoil the child". I don't care what the new phrase is, but if you are not getting him suitably punished, it will just spoil the child further. Of course, there is another side to it, but well, who knows which side the child might show ? He may, or may not learn that it was a mistake. But it is the system's duty to teach him what is right and what is wrong. 

Ok I do agree with your thoughts, the fact is a dog is born as a dog, he is to remain the same his whole life....the lion is born as a lion...BUT we humans is born only as a seed...and right education will teach you how to be yourself...but now a days parents and teachers/soceity conditioning the child!!...Without understanding how the child feel/thinking, every parent is harassing the child to bcome gr8... they are trying to enforce their ambitions on the child... thats how conditioning begins... They are not allowing the child to be himself....I believe parents who are not respectful to their children are bound to destroy their lives.... their respect,  love,  gratitude that, "You have chosen us as your parents".... will be responded to with deeper respect, more gratitude, more love...and they should teach him responsibility..response means capacity to respond tc life situations according to ur heart, not according to anybody else.... When you start feeling that, you become an individual... Then you stand on your own feet...for this Our societies/peoples mind set should change!!๐Ÿ˜Š
MagixX thumbnail
It's the duty of the parents and the society to give the right education to children. Obviously, by education here, I mean values, not numbers and sciences. That's important too, but values are even more important.

And anyway, one of the right ways to begin dealing with children such as these is teaching them the difference between right & wrong, rather than just letting them be the way they are b'coz they happen to minors.
that article further says that the boy was defiant and felt that there was nothing that the teachers could do against him as he was a 'sarkari' student-------------whatever that meant!
The discipline in these govt schools is very lax, authorities are least willing to take any action.No one wants to send their children in such schools if they can help it. That is one reason why pvt schools are doing brisk bussiness. a school is one place where discipline must be enforced if we hope to have responsible law abiding citizens.
The boy  must be held accountable for his action and his parents too must be called .It sets an example for other students.According to that article the students there are engaging in rowdy destructive behaviour like damaging the teachers cars and pelting stones at them.its high time some serios attention is paid to this kind of misbehaviour.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Believe

Who is Alexander the Great?!!! a great criminal he murdered people on a mass scale. Adolf Hitler alone killed millions of people, but he will be remembered in history as a great leader of man...Bush,Napoleon Bonaparte, Ivan the Terrible, Nadir Shah, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane are all mass scale criminals. Bt their crimes are so big, perhaps, that you cannot conceive'. They have killed millions of people, burned millions of people alive, bt they are not thought of as criminals...BUT here now a days...a small pickpocket, who takes away a two rupee note from your pocket will be punished by the court thats wrong!! Our legal system should change....Before send anyone into court we should analyze why/how it happend...and we should give him/her treatment...and punishment is simply an exercise in stupidity...cos I believe by punishing, you cann't change anyone esply minor!!๐Ÿ˜Š

What history books have you been reading!?! Who in their right mind believes that Adolf Hitler was a great leader of man? Yes, historians do admit that Hitler had great leadership qualities in that he was able to influence a large population into doing something terribly wrong, but that does not mean that history celebrates his leadership! In fact, this examples shows just the opposite of how easy it is sometimes to convince a great number of people into doing wrong by making them believe that that what they are doing is right.

As far as punishment is concerned, if you don't punish someone when they've done wrong, you are negatively reinforcing that behavior and making the recurrence of that behavior more likely! Yes, at a young age, punishment might not be sufficient by itself, and therapy and other things do need to be provided, but that doesn't mean that punishment should not be given to this minor.
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
It's quite worrying that such a young kid can do something like that but I wouldn't call the news shocking. In a way I wish this news would affect me more than it did but if two 10 year old boys can MURDER a two year old kid - James Bulger then nothing else surprises me as much.

I can't even begin to talk about the amount of times I open the newspaper every morning just to read about a teenager being stabbed due to relationships, theft, drugs, gang rivalry etc. I think it's almost got to a point where people here read about the incident, pause for a second to see if the incident happened close to their area of residence, then think how sad it was and how cruel the world is and then just forget about it. 

Coming back to the case being discussed, surely a 13 year old kid knows how to differentiate between what's wrong and what's right so surely they should face the consequences and be punished accordingly. Why do we assume that it's a psychological issue? As much as I'd love to believe that positive reinforcement will help these kids and other young offenders, I just don't think it would work. IMO negative reinforcement will make the offender and other offenders think twice before doing something like that again.
Edited by hindu4lyf - 13 years ago