gardes thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
This content was originally posted by: dg86

I am sorry I missed this thread earlier 😔
Thanks Gardes for starting this post. I am glad your family is OK.
Thanks Shanta for the beautiful prayers and all others who have posted beautiful pictures and thoughts.
I have a very close friend who is originally from Japan and whose family members live south of the epicenter. Luckily they were unharmed, but have a tough road ahead of them because of all the property damage.
Believe it or not there is a CB connection with this earthquake. A very close family member of Avinash lives in Japan. They are fine but are  affected by the aftermath.
Japanese people are very resilient and with all our collective prayers, they will emerge out of this calamity.

Thanks, DG.  I am glad your friends and Avinash's family members are faring well.  Hard as it may be for a while, everything else can be rebuilt.  I cannot imagine what people could have gone through in the few terrifying moments!  I was in New Orleans after Katrina and walked around the area where the levy broke and watching the holes in the rooftops to escape the water was so disturbing to me!  Not even a mouse scurried near there when we visited the desolate streets in lower 9th!  And it was couple years after Katrina!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gardes thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: KSheila

gardes, I am feeling exactly how you are feeling....because our whole family had gone for a vacation to japan in 1993....and pretty much we traveled the same area where the disaster has struck....I have such lasting memories of Japan mainly because of the people, the system, service and cleanliness...I could not believe also that how Japan overcame the nuclear attack and came out ahead than any other country...my God Japanese people are so hardworking...so polite and the cleanliness is built into their religion...even 1993 it was far advanced than America in many ways.  My heart breaks to see this kind of nature disaster...proves time and time again that how impermanent life is...we all take things for granted....fight for the silliest pocession...but the reality is that we can loose everything....in a blink of an eye...May God give strenth to the families who have lost their dear ones....my prayers are with them. 

KSheila, the one memory I came back with from my vacation was of the Japanese people.  You are so right.  They are so polite that we never felt there was a language barrier.  People went out of their way to walk us to where ever we wanted to go, showed us where to get off trains and subways, or stopped and pulled up maps on their cellphones to locate our hotels, if we could not read signs to find them!  And so polite that kids playing in the street would stop and bow if we happened to walk or drive past them.  I don't know too many teenagers who would do that these days.

It is hard to watch but I also feel that the Japanese will come through, as you said, through hard work!  They certainly have our prayers.
PutijaChalhov thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8
I was sent this today about the way Japan is coping with the disaster wanted to share.
1. THE CALM
Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief. Sorrow itself has been elevated.
2. THE DIGNITY
Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a rough word or a crude gesture.
3. THE ABILITY
The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings swayed but didn€™t fall.
4. THE GRACE
People bought only what they needed for the present, so everybody could get something.
5. THE ORDER
No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on the roads. Just understanding.
6. THE SACRIFICE
Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?
7. THE TENDERNESS
Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared for the weak.
8. THE TRAINING
The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they did just that.
9. THE MEDIA
They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters. Only calm reportage.
10. THE CONSCIENCE
When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the shelves and left quietly

gardes thumbnail
Thanks, Chalhov.  I too got it in the mail yesterday and I agree with all that is said in there.

The impression of Japan that you leave with are its people.  And it is not just me.  Someone whose project I work on, went to Japan for a professional presentation after I did and was asked about his trip there.  His first and only response was the Japanese people.  It is a very proud (in the nicest possible way) nation, taking pride in its culture, heritage, and its nation.

Our prayers continue to be with them.
PutijaChalhov thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8
I was reading about an Indian's experience inTokyo saying restaurants supplied food on the house and free.👏
hrh.shree thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
our thoughts and prayers with them... may the survivors be granted the strength to bring them through their tragedy...
SushSathisha thumbnail
grades even i am happy to know that your family is safe.I am really really sad for the people and pray to god that the people who are no more may their soul rest in peace and even pray it does not happen with anyone again (touch wood).Just wishing them a good luck