i just come back and started my job.

Life for Rent thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

hpe its not old

"It would have been a big risk to take on Sujal's role…"

He hasn't made many heads turn, yet. But Pawan Shankar has left enough of a mark in the industry to get a call from Balaji Telefilms when Ekta was looking for a replacement for Rajeev Khandelwal. As Siddhanth, he is the restrained, dignified lawyer grappling with life's realities. In real life, Pawan is probably biding time till he gets a break on the big screen. Prashant Golecha caught the Allahabad born actor on the sets of Siddhanth for a brief chat.

How did acting happen and how did you manage the lead role in "Siddhanth"?
I left a regular job in Allahabad without telling my parents, came to Mumbai and Kishore Namit Kapoor's acting course. I did many ads, the most prestigious one being the Reid & Tailor one with Mr Bachchan. For the Siddhanth auditions, there was a tie in the final round of selection between me and another guy, but Anurradha Prasad of BAG Films was clear she wanted me in the show

Weren't you supposed to replace Rajeev Khandelwal in Kahiin To Hoga and the buzz is you asked for a very high price?
I was just thinking of deciding on the offer, as there was a gap of 10 episodes for Sujal to reappear, when Rajeev decided to stay in the show. Money was not an issue. It wasn't even discussed.

Do you think it would have been a good option to be a replacement for a popular actor?
It was a big risk. But then it is important to take risks in life. It was a big thing to receive a call from Balaji Telefilms as it meant recognition of my work. I like KTH as a serial, and have often told people about Sujal's role - "Role ho to aisa ho".

Don't you want to act in films?
Yes I do. I am making an appearance in Vinta Nanda's White Noise.

Are you married?
I got married to a girl last year, and yes, it is a love marriage. My wife is a fashion designer and belongs to Delhi.